Spirit of the West

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Spirit of the West
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Saturday, August 21, 1999 - 03:09 am:

Rocked!! RockedRockedRocked!!! I'm so thrilled! I can still feel it, even so many hours later. Oh the joy of Finally seeing my favorite band for the very first time ever, at my very first concert (for me) ever! Happiness!!

Okay, so it wasn't Really a concert. It was just a tailgate party for the Argo's, and the band only played one measly hour. But that's okay. After all the effort to get down to the Skydome, and find the park (pretty measly park) and waiting for them to pop up while inhailing the smoke of the guy next to me who couldn't take the subtle hint of my coughing everytime he blew a breath in my face and then taking the rain...it was all worth it. It was so worth it. As soon as they came out they blew me the heck away!

John was jumping and dancing all over the stage right from the first chord. Geoff and the guy who looked like Joxer (who's name I don't know) joined in not long after, and when Vince came out from behind the drums, he was doing it too. They have the most Amazing energy! It was rapture.

When they did "Bone of Contention" (which was dedicated to poor Pee-Wee Herman - "and he grabbed it by the hand...and he pulled and pulled...") there's a part of the song where they slow down and John sings a little slower with a little more emphasis, and through the whole thing the band seemed like they were Noticing the crowd and making eye contact and wotnot, and SO HELP ME, at this part John looked at me and started dragging his fingernail across the strings of his guitar s l o w l y which made me Freak inside! SexySexySexy!! My smile (I felt like I was smiling like some teenybobpper, but I couldn't help myself. I had my hands clasped under my chin and a Huge grin on my face.) just got bigger and bigger as his finger moved along and he smiled at me like he was amused. That was NEAT!

It started raining in the middle of "And If Venice is Sinking" (irony!). It started out pretty mild but it seemed like the harder they played, the harder the rain fell. It only added to the atmosphere...I actually loved the rain a whole lot and was thankful I didn't wear that white tee-shirt after all. They played the first few chords of "Home For a Rest" and the crowd FREAKED!! They started screaming and hollering and some guy with a horn was blowing it like crazy! I was thrilled to be amidst other SotW fans at last! Everyone started singing along with the band...just the first little bit. Then they stopped playing and the crowd responded by freaking out again. It was great! They all laughed and listened to us hollering and then BOOM all of a sudden into the hard and fast part. Everyone started jumping up and down and singing and the music was really freaking loud and the rain was falling hard! When they came to the end of the song they did the typical Hard Ending with lots of drums and guitar all at once, and then stopped. Crowd freaked. they did the ending again. Crowd Freaked. Band did a slow motion "victory" dance with John falling to his knees and crying. The crowd Really freaked! they played the ending one more time when it really looked like they weren't gonna. It was Fantastic!! Then they were like "thank you very much!" and hustled off the stage. The crowd kept hollering and Horn Boy kept blowing and they came back out and called Horn Boy up onto the stage to do a number with them. What a hoot!! They did "The Crawl", which is the only song I recognized from their first album.

One hour. I was elated and excited and hyped up and exhausted all at once. I wonder what a Real show would be like. I can't wait till the next time they play in the city. Nothing will keep me away!!

I never knew John was so sexy, either. He's got a fantastic presence.

I'm so thrilled. So thrilled!! I love the high.

By Jinafishes on Monday, August 23, 1999 - 12:29 pm:

Wow, that almost felt like I was there. And I TOTTALLY know what you mean about that high, it's like, you're still so strung out hours later and you want to do something cause you're just out there!

By Gee on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 06:53 am:

I went to their website tonight. They've got a new album out (mostly a "greatest hits" type thing, but a few new songs, so I guess I'll have to get it.) and they're planning to tour for it. So far all the tour dates they've listed are in Germany (why do they play in Germany so frickin' much???) but I'm hoping they'll come back here. There's no way I Wouldn't go. I am so in-freaking-love with that band. I would go to Germany for them.

I sent them an e-mail promising freshly baked cookies if they should come back to entertain me. I'm hoping word of my cookies has reached them even now.

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 11:40 am:

Hehe cute, they are a really cool band, I think my favorite song is that build four walls and a roof, no one coming in or out, just the way the song starts out, all these little noises and stuff, it's cool, and then if venice is sinking is my second fave. I think they've only come to washington once, and probly never again.

By Gee on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

Wow. I didn't realize you knew who they were. Neato keen. =o) The venice song is my favorite of theirs. I sent a tape of their stuff to a friend of mine, and he commented that he wan't into all the religious stuff. I couldn't get him to understand what they were really trying to say.

~
    ...And if Venice is sinking,
    I'm going under
    Cause beauty's religion
    and it's christened me with wonder.
    ~

By Gee on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:10 am:

They're coming back to Toronto. Hot Dog!! They're supposed to play at some place called Esplanade Biere Market. I found a Esplanade Food Market in the phone book, and I'm going to assume it's either the same place, or relativly close by. Hot Dog!!! I'll call the food market tomorow and ask them.

Maybe I'll go to Burlington and see them at Big Buck's Mountain Lodge, too. That would be pretty neat.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:11 am:

ps...The guy who looks like Joxer is named Tobin. I know that now. Silly, silly me.

By Sista on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:28 am:

when are they gonna be in toronto???

By Gee on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 02:26 am:

According to their website, October 28th.

I sent an e-mail to their website getting irate because I couldn't find Esplanade Biere Market, and todaygot a reply from Hugh. teehee. I had no idea someone in the band would be reading my rantings, or I would have made a greater effort to seem intelligent. Anyway, they fixed it up so all the places where they're playing have phone numbers now. I gave Biere market a call and they said my boys weren't playing there. So what the heck?!? Maybe it's not confirmed yet. Maybe I talked to a moron. I'll try again in a few days or a week.

I think their url is http://www.spiritofthewest.bc.ca Go look for yourself.

Maybe I'll try calling Ticketmaster and asking if they know anything about it. I know I can get tickets for their Burlington show through Ticketmaster. I could save a whole two bucks! Wowweeee!!

By Jinafishes on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 05:56 pm:

Yeah, my boyfriend really likes them so I've listened to their stuff and I like the sinking song, and the build 4 walls song, and the.. drifted through doors, to a room prepared for prayer, grateful of the silence, I think that's how it goes, it'd be nice if they went to Vancouver, I think I'd go.

Right now I'm really into the band Belly, a good 1995 band, I love her voice, her lyrics, the sound of the songs, I think my art teacher even liked them. it's a shame they broke up.

Tomorrow I get to see Tori Amos and I am psyched.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:03 pm:

i liked her in that Breeders first record...Pod? i think it was....i got busted for pot when i went to see Belly and Velocity girl at the cats cradle in chapel hill nc........i caught the tailend of their set becasue i was being harassed in the parking lot by over zealous pigs

By Cyst on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:22 pm:

I got stoned on the way to a velocity girl show once.

I was pissed at the impotent guy I went to the breeders show with because months later he had me drive his younger girlfriend-wannabe who looked like me to the velocity girl show.

I knew she was naive and scared, so I had a chick friend of mine light up the pipe while I was driving, and I took a really long hit with one hand while I steered us around the curvy part of a long bridge with the other.

I know she was shitting her fucking stretch pants.

so I offered it to her next, knowing she would say no. she may have stuttered on the second syllable, the hurried "thanks."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahha.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:23 pm:

Really? What'd they do to you? Do I want to know? God, that'd be so cool to see them, stoned while seeing them would be good too, at least once, and hear everything off of the Star cd. Let them know they're appreciated, I don't even know WHY they broke up, they only made 2 cds. 2.
    I think she was in Throwing Muses too, but I couldn't find any of their mp3's. I knew she was in the Breeders, but what part did she play? Never heard anything from Velocity Girl. -oh wait, I think I did, the Clueless soundtrack my friend had. Heh. That was 5 years ago.

By Cyst on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:25 pm:

tanya donnely was indeed in throwing muses.

she's done a lot of solo stuff too, I think.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:29 pm:

she played guitar in the breeders, and throwing muses as well. I remember when velocity girl first came to raleigh from dc before they got picked up by the majors. they were on slumberland records. they were so shy and nerdy. I saw them at this dank pit called the fallout shelter. there was 20 people there max...i fell in love with the singer sarah...they crashed at my friends house that night and i think i went home and wanked thinking of her. Oh well, i was only 16 what do you expect....she was a rock star, super friendly and had a gorgeous voice. She did give a copy of their 7" which i still have. Last time i priced it at DC's Vinyl Ink Record store/catalog they wanted like $50-70 bucks for it. The 7" was the best stuff they ever did, totally loud distorted guitars, after that they went cheesy, sappy pop which bored the hell out of me......

By Cyst on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:36 pm:

I love the cheesy sappy pop on "copacetic."

I'll play my la la shit for you anytime. la la la la la.

I had a crush on her too. I must have been 21.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:41 pm:

yeah i was really infacutated with that album, that first song was my break up song after my 17year old sweetheart dumped me.........now i wann kick my ass for listening to that crap.......i wish i could share the 2 songs on theri first ever 7" is so good, it's still cheesy poppy but again its under layers and layers of noisey distorted guitar.......it's like they put the cheesy crap underneath a masculine plate of ribs and sneak it by you

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 06:45 pm:

it's a shame you don't live around these parts cyst, it's sounds like we could have some fun listening to cheesy poop songs and causing a stir at nudie bars.....god knows Nico always does.....she always gets all the attention, she likes to dress up to the nines with her leopard print boa and her knee highs and cat walk the town...it seems like you two would be a mess ......together and probably get me in trouble one way or another be it johnny law of some random bouncer

have you been known to take to the dancing atop a bar when Bowie's Rebel Rebel or VU's Rock & roll come on the juke box??

just checkin

By Cyst on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 07:15 pm:

sounds like I would be a mouse next to your wife.

I got a bunch of slutty pictures back today. my patron sent them to me. I'm going to his party at the end of the month, where I have been instructed to represent the "h" and the "o" in halloween.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 07:23 pm:

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 07:25 pm:

i'll have to think about that one........(come on 5 o clock get me outta here)

she's not like that all the time but once about every month or so she gets a bug up her ass and it has to get out way or another.......i prefer the "another" but sometimes thats not the case...

ohhh wait h...o h..o (slutty pics) ho ho ho ho ahhhh

we will ge the honor of seeing these slutty pics?

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 07:29 pm:

they are on tour, new album, hence the recent interview in Glue mag and numerous others i am sure

By Cyst on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 02:50 am:

he offered to put them on a private site, and I told him he should do so. but he's slow about getting these things done if there's no immediate incentive.

tonight at the bar there was a girl who picked up dollar bills with her butt cheeks.

By Benjamen on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 06:26 am:

ahhh

the talented ladies...

Three new records that are really amazing

The new Sally Timms record on Bloodshot
    The new Stereo Total record on Bobsled
    The new Trailerbride record on Bloodshot

all three bands have ladies with powerful voices and butt cheeks.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact