pretty ugly...

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: pretty ugly...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Kymical on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 02:36 am:

i have a reason tonight to be cheerful...

well many.

getting a car and daddy is paying.

the nyc project is underway and smoothly.

i secured a job and i am going to be generating income.

and best of all tonight my band got a show at a club downtown.
    but better yet, Chaos and the Addiction (that is us) will be the headlining band!

we made flyers tonight. it is like a weird ceremony. we make these flyers (kind of like a party) and then we choose the best ones and go to kinkos to play with the copiers.

i haven't played in almost 2 weeks. my baby is crying, i can feel it. i have just been feeling like i have nothing to give him really. i used to be a passionate cellist. but then it is like it didn't do it for me. then i joined a band, and a little bit came back. but now my feelings have turned around and upside down.

but tomorow i further secure my job, and get more on the car situation.

life is back on track.
    and i am oh so happy for that.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 09:08 pm:

kymical: what sort of music do you play? GBest of luck!

By Kymmi-poo on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 07:12 pm:

we play improv, ambient, jazz based in theory stuff.

usually the live band is anyone we know who plays an instrument and we throw it all together. in this show line up we have
    me on cello and spoken word.
    two guitars
    one viola
    one bass guitar
    and one shortwave radio.

it should be quite nice.

By Patrick on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 07:35 pm:

thats cool, do you like Tortoise? They come to mind when you say ambient, improv jazz theory...

my wife and i play as well, she has a moog and a older model korg, and a bass, i play skins...and sometimes the skin flute....but thats a given having a penis an hands i suppose....a lot of our music was improv, prog rock like, minimalist, layered, sometimes beefy, sometime vegeatarian...never vegan

By Kymical on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 11:43 pm:

at our shows we have a trancparency that gets rotated that says:

vote libiterian;
    live vegeterian.

i have been wanting to take up the moog. but i can't find any in my price range (free)
    but the heroin kids in bands sell to the pawn shops near oak cliff so i am thinking i will find one there when i go check it out.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 12:26 pm:

yeah junkies ae great for scoring equip. My wife and I scored one in a pawn shop in atlanta, i wasn't even looking for one but i had a strange desire to go in and look, low and behold there it is. The little german dude behind the counter wanted $150 for it. he had no idea, when he plugged it up for me, he put the cord in the wrong input, it sounded weird....ADVANTAGE PATRICK

i said it was broken and got it for half, $75

Got to www.analogheaven.com

you may find some decent deals...it's a group of analog keyboard dorks.....who talk, trade and what not

By Kymical on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 08:39 am:

sweet!

By Kymical on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 08:41 am:

www.analogheaven.com?

it doesn't seem to want to go there...

are you sure patrick?

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 12:05 pm:

well frankly, I am not, i thought thats what it was, try a search for "analog heaven" and see what you find.....swine, have your heard of this? are you analog, no your mostly digital, do you care. Say something saucy!

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 12:26 pm:

By mistaswine on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 01:59 pm:

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 02:08 pm:

that roland looks kinda of fun. I understand what you mean by "virtual" analog. Nico's old Korg is a primative version of that, of which I find more difficult to work with because you end up wasting time trying to input numbers that represent the various parameters,(i.e frequency, vhf, attack, decay, delay, pitch, octave etc..) and when dealing with two seperate oscillators, it's a pain in the ass to look at the guide and then find the relative number, where as the moog has it all layed in front of you, switch, flip, dial, tweak, YOUR IN!

the roland above seems to have that quality, at least visually anyway

By mistaswine on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 02:57 pm:

a lot of digital analog-emulators have that problem. you have to go digging through too many menu levels to get what you need. not only is it bullshit, it also makes performing with it a pain in the ass. i like the layout on the cs2x because everything is easily accessible. it also has a great editing program that lets you do all that shit on a computer and just bulk dump it into the synth.

that roland is a beautiful thing. it'll be mine next time i have $1200 to drop.

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:11 pm:

"it also makes performing with it a pain in the ass"

EXACTLY!!!!

when we play out, nico usually has the Korg set to one, maybe two sounds and just tweaks the moog,

considering we got the Korg for $150 and the moog for $75, $1200 seems fucking ridiculous. Hell my vintage Ludwig kit only cost $800.....
    When I saw Bob Moog about a year ago displaying his "new" instrument (theramin thru midi WHOOPDIDOO!!!) he said they were in the process of suing a few companies about the moog technology, most likely Roland and Korg although he didn't name names, he said when that is cleared up, they would go back to production of new versions of the moog given it's rise in popularity.....

By Kymical-be-bop on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:43 pm:

me, i like to just play with all the little nobs and buttons and see what kind of sound it makes...

i guess you can notch it up to my "style"

By mistaswine on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:51 pm:

none of that vintage shit has anywhere near the capabilities of the jp8080.

read the specs.

whether or not it's worth the money depends on what you want to use it for. if you're just tweaking canned sounds, then it's definitely not the way to go.

By Sarah on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 04:17 pm:

i'm on a high protein diet... lots of meat.

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 05:29 pm:

yeah, i know, i just don't feel like takin the time to learn the technology......"programming" an instrument is not in my vocabulary, the Korg is definitely not an innovative instrument, it is limiting in the sense that you have about 80 pre-programmed sounds, of which can be upgraded with an add-on card, then you have about 30-40 more parameters you can alter the programs with. Whats abitch is the damn thing resets when you turn it off. however the moog is a little monster with a mind of it's own, trying to harness that bitch can be trying, i don't like my muse to be complicated, it's all part of my minimalist approach to just about everything.....

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact