What is Waitangi Day?

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: What is Waitangi Day?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, February 2, 2000 - 09:40 am:

It's coming up this Sunday and I want to celebrate. I know some New Zealanders post here so tell me what is this Waitanagi Day and what can I do for it?

By Robyn on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 05:37 pm:

Waitangi Day is a day to commemorate the day an agreement was signed between the maori tribes and Queen Victoria - they agreed to come under her rule and be protected by her - and she wanted the right to buy any lands they wanted to sell. This is now a little contentious as the maori people feel that they sold land without really knowing what they were doing - and the real value of it. Maori people have a deep belief in land (mother earth) and the animals and plants on it ( a little like the north american indians).
    Waitangi Day is not always a happy day.

By moonit on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:44 am:

Yeah. What she said.

(and where the hell did she come from... I thought I was the resident kiwi!)

By Kaitiakitaka on Thursday, February 5, 2004 - 11:19 pm:

1-THE TREATY "ALLOWD" EUROPEAN,COLONIAL OCCUPATION AND BOTH PARTIES PROTECTION OF SUCH,HOWEVER,THE CROWN RENEGGED ON THE CONTRACT AS WE KNOW

2- ALSO THE GUARANTEED EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO IWI MAORI TO THEIR TRIBUTARIES,WATERWAYS COASTLINE AND SEA WERE VITAL("SURVIVAL" WAS TO PROTECT AND MAINTAIN OUR CULTURAL BELIEFS VALUES AND PRACTICES) SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT ENSURED THE THE WHENUA RIVERS/SEA WOULD BE PROTECTED FOR THE GENERATIONS TO COME
    today WHAT HAVE WE ALL INHERITED?....massive POLLUTION on land and sea, DEEP SEA FISHERY-FISH OUT FOR GREED,BREAKING THE ECOLOGICAL chain affecting all life.

3- THERE WAS ALSO THE PROMISE OF FREE EDUCATION AND HEALTH CARE(disease came with the new arrivals)proven history says we were literate before on mass colonisation,successful farmers schooner owners and trading with australia with our own produce. shared and provided the new families with what we had,hence strategic unions and marriages took place

4-THE FIRST KAI TAHU PRIME MINISTER-RT.HON. NORMAN KIRK,MR.BILL RICHARDS AND MR RICHARD K.WHITAU (MOERAKI),ACHIEVED

A "PEACEFUL DAY OF CELEBRATION FOR ALL WHANAU,IN "RECOGNITION" OF THE TREATY of WAITANGI and the treaty RIGHTS" promote harmony!!!"

5- "INTERNATIONAL LAW" SAYS A TREATY BETWEEN an ETHNIC PEOPLES.. IS.... LAW !!!!

6-THE BLOOD THAT FLOWS THROUGH MY VEINS, DNA AND THE WHENUA I BELONG TO,IDENTIFIES WHO I AM.

SO IF I LIVED IN PARIS,I AM NOT FRENCH...BUT "ALWAYS" KAI TAHU,WHO WAS BORN IN TE WAI POUNAMU,N.Z.as were my ancestors (AND I AM DEFINATELY NOT A KIWI-BIRD...)

7-ALSO THE CROWN FORCED LAND SALES BY LEGISLATION AND MUSKETS ,8 HIGH COURT CASES HERE,and THE PRIVY COUNCIL OUTCOME:PROVED Loss of land
    "WAS BY WAY OF FRAUD", after over 100 years, we, will develope and progress on successfully....

MANA ATUA, MANA WHENUA,MANA MOANA, MANA TANGATA

By Ash Nandan on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 03:04 am:

WHy is waitangi day celebrated

By moonit on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 02:02 pm:

I'm guessing that Kai is from the North Island.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact