Welcome to the human race,Ethan!!!!

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Welcome to the human race,Ethan!!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By J on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:00 am:

Pam gave birth to a beautiful baby boy!!!His name is Ethan Roy Plowman,born September 1,2000 at 5:31pm.He weighed in at 7lb's 14oz and 22inches.What a little doll,I hope Pam doesn't mind this,y'all just have to see the little guy http://www.theplowmans.com I am so proud of Pam!!!

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 12:16 pm:

Yay Pam!!!
    Welcome, Ethan.

By patrick on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

bitchin camero,

congrats.....

By Nate on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:05 pm:

why are babies so ugly and why do people claim they aren't?

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:15 pm:

I never said the baby was cute. I hate babies. But I admire any woman who's a friend who's insane enough to bring one to term, and I congratulate any friend who has a baby. Usually. Except the bad mothers. And I don't know if Pam's a good mother or not, so I congratualated her anyway. 'cause I'm that kind of person.
    People should send me their baby pictures. We can compare naked and baby.

By Trace on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:16 pm:

By Trace on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:20 pm:

Congratulations Pam!!!!

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:32 pm:

That baby is not cute.
    Parents are supposed to think their spawn are cute.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

Little babies are not cute. They're hideous looking martian creatures until they get to be about 1 year old. Once they start moving around and showing signs of a personality, then they become cute.

P.S., I love how you use that word "spawn" Isolde.

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 02:51 pm:

Thanks.
    I really dislike babies, actually.

By J on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:18 pm:

I think babies are cute,and now I wish I never started this thread.humbugs!!

By Cat on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 04:53 pm:

All babies look like Winston Churchill. Or Buddha.

I'm glad to hear Pam came through OK. I hope she bit a few people on the way.

By Pez on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

i like babies. wish i was old enough to have one and take care of it properly.

but i'll have to finish growing up first.

ethan's a cute baby, j.

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 06:33 pm:

Babies: bad.
    Babies as food: good.

No. Not really. I just don't really like kids. But hey. Someone has to, otherwise I wouldn't be suffering at this very moment.

By semillama on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 06:47 pm:

Babies are alright, but too smelly.

Dogs are about the same, sort of cute but smelly.

Cats, though. Cute, and generally smell decent.

Plus, managable.

if you could leave a bunch of food and water out, and clean litter, for a baby so you could go on a 5-day trip, then maybe babies would be good to have.

Until then, let other folks have 'em.

For my friends with them, they seem to be a positive indicator of impeding divorce and loss of custody, although they're clearly the better parent (but wrong gender).

By Mavis on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 06:54 pm:

babies, schmabies...

...maybe

By Tom on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 08:05 pm:

babies rock. so there.

y'all are just a buncha cynics. May you be forever left out of the gene pool.

oh, fine. the real Cute Baby.

By Tom again on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 08:06 pm:

Congratulations, Plowman People. Get ready...

By moonit on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 08:35 pm:

Congrats Pam

My workmate is pregnant at the moment. She
    had a scan last week and I got to see the first
    picture of her baby.

I've never worked with a pregnant woman
    before. Its interesting. She has to eat
    constantly. And shes a tiny woman, so I'm
    amazed at how much morning tea she
    swallows - sausage rolls, pastry thingees.
    sheesh.

If you could give me a child at about 3 I think I'd
    be okay, but babies - no.

I could probably cope with Baby Stewie from
    that Family Guy programme, but thats it.

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:05 pm:

Cats rock. I miss mine so much right now. I need to find a place to be so I can have them back.

By Bell_jar on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:09 pm:

anit/tom-

she's really quite cute. i don't think red-faced just born babies are cute, but some of the others are. she is definately one of the others that is cute.

By Isolde on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:14 pm:

I have to admit that I do kind of like Morganne. She doesn't cry very much.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:02 am:

Speaking of crying and babies, mione got up at 11:00 last night and did not go back down until 2:30, and my wife just started crying at about 12:00, so guess who stayed up with Mikayla until she fell asleep and then got back up at 4:00 to go to work?????

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:03 am:

I love babies, but just wish there was a "sleep" button on them somewhere..........

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:49 am:

It's called "a swift blow to the back of the head"

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:50 am:

Or did you mean sleep, now euthanize?

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:51 am:

isolde.....
    be bitter at antiwhatever not my baby

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:12 am:

I'm not bitter at anyone. Especially not anti-whatever. I'm too apathetic today to be bitter. I don't know your child. Far be it from me to infringe upon her glory, I"m sure. I'm simply expressing my strong dislike for children. Maybe I'm bitter at myself because I can't have children. Who knows. Maybe I'm bitter at people who can't take a joke. That could be it. More likely than at myself, I'm sure.
    So maybe you should chill.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:19 am:

perhaps so, but perhaps you should chill as well.

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:19 am:

ugh. I've posted this disclaimer before, but self righteous parents irritate me so much, I'll post it again:
    I would _never_ hurt another living being, regardless of whether it's a screaming baby or a cockroach. (though I believe the two are similar). Everything on the earth has a right to live, my opinion aside. If the being consents to being hurt (i.e. if my father were to request euthanasia) I would do everything in my power to fulfill that request.
    I am _not_ a Nazi. I do not believe in exterminating everything I dislike. I am entitled, however, to have an opinion and to avoid interaction with creatures I dislike. Simple as that.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:24 am:

And you have a right to dislike children. If i did not have any, i might even agree with you.

By Cat on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:25 am:

I've heard smothering is also a good way to keep children silent.

Babysitter anyone?

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:26 am:

Well, my mother agreed with me.

Nah. Smothering's too quick...

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 08:29 am:

mine did as well, and she tried the smothering thing, many times.............and stomping thing, and other things
    mabye that is whats wrong.
    Of course, it has given me a disdain for mothers.

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 09:18 am:

You know what I really really hate? Those yellow diamond-shaped signs in cars that say, "Baby On Board." Like I'm supposed to drive extra careful around that car just because of the precious cargo. I'm fair game though, anybody can head-on me because there's only "Adult On Board."

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:27 am:

Yeah. Those annoy me too.

By patrick on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:12 pm:

are you living in some sorta 80s timewarp conduit dougie?

haven't seen those in years....

By Douglas on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:25 pm:

Yes, it's called Long Island. We all get together every Friday at midnight and do the L.I. 80's timewarp again. It's just a jump to the left...

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:39 pm:

lets do the time warp again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RHPS

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:39 pm:

Damn. I flew over Long Island! You shoulda waved!

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:56 pm:

But I did, from my boat. You didn't see me?

By Nate on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:30 pm:

you're so subtle trace.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:33 pm:

i can be when i wanna be

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

OH? That was you? I thought that was my Cuban ex-boyfriend...

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:16 pm:

Si senorita

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:44 pm:

Ay, caramaba!

By Cat on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:07 pm:

I have to interrupt to let you know I'm feeling mighty patriotic today. Did you catch the Olympic Opening Ceremony? We really did rock!

I even think I'm quite beginning to like our national anthem. Except that line about being "girt" by sea. Someone just made that word up and it really doesn't work, does it? Too reminiscent of girdles.

Anyway, I digress. It was a boffo job on behalf of a nation of people who really can't dance and don't usually walk around in formation all that often.

I did think you mob let the side down a tad though. Couldn't you find someone who ranks a bit higher than your outgoing president's daughter to represent you? I know it's a long way to come, but we would have given you free beer. Though Chelsea did seem to be having a nice time.

I'm rambling, but that's what happens when you get caught in a patriotic fervour. I should have worn slippers.

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:15 pm:

Actually, "girt" is a real word. I hate to disappoint you.
    I didn't watch the ceremonies. I am, always have, and forever will e, without TV. But it sounds cool. I'll need to find a TV to watch my friend Gabe, though. Durn. Anyway. Today was good. I'm happy, even though a doctor stuck her hand up my innards and poked around.

By Cat on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:20 pm:

It should be used more often then. All the police here should have to use it on criminals to educate them:

"We've got you girt! Come out with your hands up".

By sarah on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:29 pm:

yay Pam! what a healthy looking baby. that's awesome. dang though, can you believe you had to squeeze that humongous thing out such a small portal? eugh.

great website, btw.

By semillama on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:52 pm:

Isolde, have you ever read "The Beastly baby" by Edward Gorey?

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:06 pm:

Nope. Probably just as well.

By Mavis on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:26 pm:

no, isolde, you'd really love it!

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:31 pm:

Where can I find a cheap copy?

By Mavis on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:50 pm:

www.powell's.com

By semillama on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:51 pm:

It's in Amphigorey Too, at any fine bookstore (Barnes and Noble for example) in the humor section.

cute baby

By agatha on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 10:58 pm:

if you can't say something nice, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

By Isolde on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 01:51 am:

agatha: eat me. I can say whatever I want. People flame things I like to. It's a fact of life.

I can't find the book anywhere. I'm stupid.

By semillama on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 06:34 pm:

Forget finding the story on the net, I tried.

The funny thing about the phrase "if you can't say something nice, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all" is that the phrase itself isn't that nice a thing to say, and so should never be uttered, if that truly is the philosphy of the utterer.

By agatha on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 09:28 pm:

yes, you can absolutely say anything you want. however, that doesn't mean that the things you have been saying are very nice. it's a new baby, he means a lot to the parents. how do you think pam would feel if she read this thread? it's all about courtesy and tact. by the way, i'm just saying what i think, just like you. peace out.

By Isolde on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 09:56 pm:

I'm not saying what I, or some of the other people in this thread said, was nice.
    I'm simply statingmy opinion. If you will note, I congratulated Pam and gave her all the best, and I meant it. The discussion simply came around to like/dislike of children and, to a certain extent, why. So I gave my reasoning. Sometimes I'm offended by threads too. Big deal. I survive.

By Pamela on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 04:37 pm:

Well, hello everyone!

First of all, I just want to let you all know that I was right about being a wimp. When my contractions started (it was around 11 AM on Thursday morning) they were very strong. I wasn't admitted to the hospital until 11 AM on Friday morning and I was exhausted by that time. Needless to say, I begged for the epidural and I got one. At least I went into this whole thing with an open mind. I may not have had a completely "natural" childbirth, but at least I tried.

I expected the ugly baby comment from Nate, so I guess I was a little prepared -- besides, this is Sorabji... Still, I must say that Agatha was right, I did feel a bit upset at first, but then I remembered where I was and that once again I should not get upset over anything said here at Sorabji. It's not easy being a parent at all. But I know what I see; a beautiful healthy baby who loves me for no reason other than the fact that I am his mom. And that is enough for me.

I can't believe it has been three weeks already. On Friday, it will be a month. I just doesn't seem like it. I am so happy though. Thank you J for your cards, they were very sweet. They made me smile and believe me, I could use them.

I am just too happy. I am still can't believe that I am a mommy! It is very trying at times, but it is also very rewarding.

Thank you to everyone for all your kind words and thoughts. I love you all, even Nate. And Nate, I can't wait until you become a father. I think that would be cute. = )

By Pamela on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 04:39 pm:

oh yeah, btw, my website sucks right now and there is not much up due to the fact that I was right in the middle of transferring my old website over when I went into labor... Hopefully I will soon find time to finish it.

By Isolde on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 04:51 pm:

Yay for finishing websites!
    Mine is in a continual state of transition. In fact, it's so continual I don't let anyone have the address, because it looks lame all the time.

By Pamela on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 05:42 pm:

LOL, I know what you mean.

My husband has so much more pride in my work than I do, and he is constantly telling me to finish b/c he thinks that I do a really great job. It is cute.

One of these days... I will finish... I hope.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 09:04 pm:

glad to hear you're doing well, pamela. buckle up, parenthood is one hell of a ride.

By sarah on Tuesday, September 26, 2000 - 10:36 pm:

oh man i am jealous. i can't wait!

good luck Pamela. best wishes.

By J on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 02:54 am:

Keep us posted on his progress,he sure is cute!!!

By Pamela on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 07:11 pm:

I will let everyone know when I get more pictures of him up. All the pictures that we have up were taken right after he was born so he is not in the best mood. The rest will be much better.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact