hullo

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: hullo
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Z on Friday, December 8, 2000 - 05:13 pm:

z here.

horrible, horrible, horrible.

that's life right now.

but hey, the Dungeons and Dragons movie is coming out (is it this weekend?) and so im happy, except for the fact that i probably wont get to see it, becaus of soem issues at home.

i just sorfta ran away for god knows how long (only an hour and a half, rellly,) on my bike.

damn. iit is cold ouit.

myu fingers are still frozen, a s you can see in my typing.

i went to a park. and such. rode around. mucch betrter to be out in the cold and bored than at home facing all kinds of crap. fuckityfuckityfuckitysucks.

other stuff going on:

i did well on a latin test today. i was one of 4 people in the class that chose to take it. and i was one of 2 that didn't ask the teacher for answers (the 2 that did got plenty of them)

damn propter. that, and Nimis both got me on the test. i could have asked for what they meant, but that wouldn't be cool.

i need a break.

mom, dad, just LAY OFF!

please.

dont go through my entire room.
    dont throw any and everythign out.
    including a practically full bottle of hair remover cream. assholes. i spent good money on that shit.

and i know that you threw out more. i just have to find out. i hate that you did that.

this is just such usual teenager cratp.

ah well. 2 more years, then i get ot go to collegehell and work my ass of continually and never have any fuin because i'll be trying to salvage myself so i can have some sort of not too bleak future.

sorry for the bitching.

i'll try to post some more, sooner oir klater, but i gotta run now and brace myself for when my mom gets back from someplace. wish me luck.

pax bulbiscum

By Isolde on Friday, December 8, 2000 - 08:13 pm:

I'm sorry, Z.
    Life can be tough sometimes, though. We all survive.
    It's very cold here, the snow is everywhere and I was just outside. My hands are tingly now, and my N key is starting to break. Damn.

By Morlock on Saturday, December 9, 2000 - 04:07 am:

Z. Sounds harsh. I remember those years. Well and bleakly.

email me more_lock@hotmail.com with a list of whatever's missing, (and your shipping address) and I'll root through my roommates shit and send you replacements. *laugh*

Well. I'm being decidedly unseelie today.

By Hal on Saturday, December 9, 2000 - 10:12 pm:

Parents can suck sometimes.

By crimson on Saturday, December 9, 2000 - 11:58 pm:

the consolation prize is that someday soon you'll be free.

the parentoids will become mere dust in your rearview mirror. you can leave the whole damn scene behind & get on w/ the business of living.

throughout my youth, that's the thought that kept me alive.

By Nate on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 12:52 am:

just tell them you met a rich gay guy on the internet and that as soon as you turn 18 he's going to fly you to california and be your sugar daddy.

By Hal on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 09:41 am:

And then they will forebode the using of the computer and phone... Life will then begin to suck for you even more... In fact the less they know of you using a computer, and knowing how to use one the better... HIDE IT FROM THEM...

Then use it against them, learn to program, write some startiling unique program everyone wants, sell it to some huge corp for millions in stock options... And then, get your own place and tell them to go fuck themselves.

By dave. on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 11:43 am:

what's most likely is you'll grow up to be just like them. sorry.

By Nate on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

"Then use it against them, learn to program, write some startiling unique program everyone wants, sell it to some huge corp for millions in stock options"

that's realistic.

how far to 18?

By Isolde on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 03:00 pm:

Maybe Hal should send you a cattleprod...?

By Hal on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 04:33 pm:

Can do... all you have to do is ask...

The thing about the programing, well I was being sarcastic, but hey, with a cattle prod maybe you could get they uppper hand.

By Isolde on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

Send me the info--I'm not sure my pocketbook can withstand a cattleprod just yet, but it shall be soon. I need to see how big the last paycheck is going to be, and they presist on sending it to me the 15th or something crazy like that. Anyway.

By moonit on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 05:18 pm:

Hal everytime I try to email you it bounces
    back, and i have some stuff to send you... but
    did you want a kiwi tape in there? and if so...
    what kind of music do you like?

*note: it actually doesnt mattter what sort of
    music you like, you'll get what you're bloody
    well given.

By J on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 05:39 pm:

I have been informed that I can't use the cattleprod on people as I will be arrested and go to jail,been there,done that,didn't like it.So it is with deep regret,that I must pass on the prod.

By Isolde on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 09:32 pm:

Send me a kiwi tape, I need more makeout mixes!!

By moonit on Sunday, December 10, 2000 - 11:57 pm:

Okay then.

By Hal on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 04:10 am:

Isolde its Hal2@mindless.com

Let me delet a bunch of shit... I think my box is full... God damnit, I hate it when that happens...

Well I can listen to about anything, so send away...

And tomorrow is my grand ole' cattle prod seeking adventure... So just wait it will be on its way, and email me your addy... I'll email mine to you, dont' worry I'll find some quality shit.

By semillama on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 01:18 pm:

Z, save your money on the D&D...It's been described as the first evidence that something can suck AND blow at the same time. Apparently there are blatant ripoffs from all 4 star wars movies throughout. One critic said "Gamer Geeks! I speak your language, and I say...FLEE!!!"

I may still go see it, but I'm not sure I want to punish myself that much.

Do go see Unbreakable though. Excellent.

By Hal on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 03:07 pm:

I haven't seen either one, but I'm already downing the D&D movie on one basis... PG-13. I'm sorry but how can one see any good blood gore, and basic carnage associated with the game if its children rated... God I hate the Motion Picture Association of America.

Unbreakable sounds good though, haven't gotten much more than the basic plot, but I haven't seen it yet either...

I guess I'll have to go.

By Isolde on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 03:08 pm:

It's PG-13? Woah.
    Unbreakable blows fat ones.

By semillama on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 04:29 pm:

Get out. Unbreakable was excellent. Good cinematography, great in its sparse (for these days) use of music, and I loved the plot.

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet will be helped to know that it is basically an examination of the "Superhero" idea in our culture.

Don't expect "Citizen Kane" but it's head and shoulders above most of the other drek that was released this year.

By Hal on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 10:55 pm:

No no no, Unbreakable isn't PG-13 I think its R...

D&D is PG-13

By Isolde on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 08:25 am:

No, that's what I meant. I was just utterly surprised by that. Anyhow, I thought Unbreakable was absolutely terrible.

By Hal on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 11:47 am:

Really?

Why.

By Isolde on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:28 pm:

The script was atrocious, and so was the acting. The costumes and sets were ok, nothing to talk about. The plot was just another cheesy thing, insert cute concept here and send it off to the publisher. The film was really unorigional and stupid. I can't believe I wasted 6.50 to go see that shit.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:49 pm:

Huh. It's pretty rare that I feel completely opposite about a film from someelse's stated opinion.

I think that this will be one of those movies that you're just going to have to see for yourself, since everyone either loves it or hates it.

it was way better than Mission to Mars. Now there was a movie with zero redeeming qualities and the worst score I've ever heard.

By Isolde on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 12:58 pm:

That I can't contend, M2M was terrible. Maybe it was a ove or hate movie...I suppose time (and other posters) will tell.

By Tom on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 02:56 am:

Can't comment on unbreakable yet, but I will second the opinion on D&D. I am an avowed "gamer geek," but this was easily the worst movie I've seen this year. And I just saw Little Nicky, so the horror of truly awful movies is fresh in my mind.

There was only one good line in D&D: "Not so Talented, ARE we, Mr. Ridley?"

The movie, all in all, sounded like a D&D campaign run by and for 14-year-olds. Everything about it stunk, from it's tweaking with the rules of the game to the acting, effects, and *shudder* script.

This was one big, fat, hairy, awful movie.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 11:31 am:

Now I have to see it, but I will wait for the video.

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" hear I come!

By Hal on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 02:25 pm:

Did they bring any of the good ole' creatures from the old creature compendium in to the movie???

Or was it just dragons, and basic races. ( elves, dwarfs, trolls, orcs, etc...)

I should go see it but we have a doller theater here, so I'll wait till it gets there.

By Isolde on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 02:51 pm:

This about sums up my expectations for this movie.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 03:22 pm:

that was the best review of any movie I ever read, and it's now even more tempting for me to see the movie.

By Isolde on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 03:28 pm:

I'm in that boat too, it sounds irrestibly bad now.

By Hal on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 03:48 pm:

I love that review... Told from the heart of a true D&D player...

But, I still have to see the movie, I never take someone's word on how bad a movie is... I have to see for myself..

By semillama on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 03:58 pm:

I am definitely going now, with Steve the Gothic Archaeologist, who's a huge gamer. He can't resist either. He told me that the script was written by two guys who never played the game in their lives, and whose research consisted of going to GenCon a couple times.

By Tom on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 12:33 am:

That sounds about right. As far as critters; I'm haven't looked at D&D in 6 years, but the only thing they had besides humans, elves, dwarves and dragons were one shot with some beholders in it.

The movie feels alot like a wannabe Star Wars, actually. There was one bazaar (as in, takes place at a street fair) scene that hand dozens of weird races, but I couldn't really recognize any of them. The monsters were lame, (wait. there was one scene with what I think were supposed to be orcs, too.)

And the blue lipstick was the clincher. *shudder again*

By Hal on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 02:26 am:

I'm suprised that out of all the creatures that they could have choosen they choose a beholder...

Come on I know they were powerful in the game, no serious character under level 10 would even consider taking one on, and not without magical support... But who in their right mind takes a floating eyeball seriously???

By Tom on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 07:26 pm:

I probably missed a whole bunch; y'all will see it and point out all the cute fuzzies I missed.

All I know: there weren't any jellies, oozes, or molds as monsters. and without jellies, damnit, it's just not D&D.

hrm. last time I played D&D, I was killed by some sort of fire-breathing/shooting frog, I think.

God, I miss junior high (he said, lying through his teeth).

By semillama on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 08:57 am:

The last RPG I played, my party was forced to flee from a bunch of ordinary lizards. Of course, considering that two-thirds of the party had burn scars over 90% of their bodies, this was the prudent decision.

The system was designed specifically to reward any attempt at hacknslash with instant player character death, so running away was usually the best option.

By Hal on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 10:08 am:

Ussualy is with low level characters, but eventually you have to stand up and get some balls because if you don't your character won't ever advance...

Thats why I liked D&D, it pushed the realm (assuming you had a good DM) of if you want to get better you had better get out there and kill something and get some exp. Or you'll get assfucked in every session.

By semillama on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 03:54 pm:

Too easy.

This system forced you out the hack mode and into the role playing. If you wanted your skill levels to advance, then you had to do shit. It also reflected the reality of combat - people got hurt if they just charged right in.

I can't believe I'm discussing gaming.

By Hal on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 09:34 am:

Kinda like shadowrun did, it was possible for a single bullet to kill you... And not being responsable about how your character lived could cost you dearly...

Hey nothing wrong with discussing gaming, its a part of good ole' fucking american society.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact