the ambulatory

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: the ambulatory
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

i'm always hearing women complain about how men stare at their breasts. well, people stare at me 'cause i'm in a wheelchair. it's not like i go apeshit about it.

however

there's one thing that just kills me every time this happens - meaning that i think it's funny. here is some advice: if, one day, you happen to see a person in a wheelchair (could be a she, but let's say it's a he) getting out of his car, do not stare at him like a roadside attraction while he

removes the wheelchair frame from the back seat of the car
    puts it on the ground
    puts on both wheels
    locks the backrest in place
    puts the chair in the upright position
    puts on the seat cushion
    gets into the chair

and then walk up to the wheelchair guy and say

"do you need any help?"

it makes you look like an idiot.

By agatha on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

I'm so happy right now that I've never done that. I sometimes offer to help carry stuff for people in wheelchairs, but I wonder if that is annoying for them as well.

By sarah on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

what did you say in response?

By droop on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

i just said something like: "i'm fine. thanks anyway." it was no big deal.

the above story happened at the grocery store this morning. as i was getting out of my car a guy with a bag of groceries stopped to watch me. he was about 55 with a big pot belly, wearing an old guayabera shirt, old pair of shorts, dirty sneakers, and a gimme cap. he seemed fascinated by the whole process. he also seemed a little confused; you could tell he was waiting for a chance to go over and offer some help, but i was doing everything in rapid succession.

he looked to be disappointed when i didn't have anything he could help me with.

it was just a funny, at least to me, little tableau.

By Bobby on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 12:05 am:

Is that worse than the people that refuse to even look at you, won't acknowledge your presence.

One day, and one day only, when I had a broken ankle, I opted to rent a wheelchair at the state fair instead wielding crutches all day. What a humbling experience. I had more respect for the little children that would point and stare at me while tugging their mother's sleeve and asking "mommy, mommy, what's wrong with that man" than I did for all the "adults" who felt too awkward around the chair to even make eye contact, to accept me as part of their perfect world.

But, I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

So, in the above scenario, maybe I would offer to help you with your chair, maybe I wouldn't, but at least you'd get a "hello" from me.

By agatha on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 11:53 am:

yeah. people are truly freaks.

one of my favorite customers at my last job was this writer, he had these hands that looked like pincers fashioned out of metal and he was in this hi-tech wheelchair. he was a writer with no hands, amazing. he was also one of the nicest customers i had there, and he had every right to be nasty. people who had everything going for them would come in and treat me like a nonperson, while someone who actually had something to complain about was just incredibly nice all the time. it blows my mind to think about it.

By sarah on Sunday, April 22, 2001 - 01:48 pm:

i just had a memory of something from my childhood. when i was in 4th grade, there was a new student in my school who had lost his thumb in an accident. i can't remember how it happened, i'm sure it was all speculation. i'm not sure if people teased him, but he was definitely a curiosity and mostly outcast, perhaps because of the missing thumb in addition to being a new student.

anyway, our 4th grade teacher made us tape both of our thumbs down to the palms of our hands for a day. it was a good lesson. have you ever tried that? life with no thumbs is a pain in the ass. after that we weren't as timid or freaked out about the new kid with no thumb.

obviously not the same thing, but whatever.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact