Sloth

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Sloth
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

Its me. Your Captain has returned! I am learning about the 7 deadly sins and I hope I can do them all real soon. Sloth is the same as lazyness. Today is a real lazy day and thats my reason to be cheerfull. Some times there is nothing as good as being a total lazy ass and just enjoy the sun shine or crawl under covers or play with pets or don't do a God damn thing all day long. My brethren thats the American way. The sloth, the whole sloth, and nothing but the sloth. I am geting into the art of doing nothing at all.

By semillama on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

Send some of that slack this way, Cap'n. Stuck at work and slacking off here. I am typing up excavation summaries and there was this one crew member last year before my time who took ten times as much notes as she needed to. I must hunt down and kill this woman.

By Trace on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

there's those tendencies again

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

Mucho slack comin your way now. Slack for one slack for all I am a bubbling fountinhead of slack. All of Gods children needs slack. We should all lay around naked in the sun shine and get payed for our good looks.

By semillama on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

Amen, Brother!

St. Janor Hypercleats on golf:

"After I recieved the Transmission I knew it was the time of the Launching. The Head had to be off the earth to be photocopied by the Xists . . . The Arnold Palmer Head is the only living being with the skill needed to defeat the Yists. With his handicap - no body - his only possible rival would be the Zists from the Backwards Time Universe, or else Trevino. Trevino's already working with the Yists. . . .in fact, every golfer is working with a different race of aliens. Thus every golf tournament is a universal psychic war. The Launchings are to create enough psychic energy to push Palmer to the top. If Trevino wins . . . you may mock me now, but you won't think it's so funny when this entire planet falls into the sandtrap. But if earth is driven into the correct Black Hole, we'll all gain infinite Slack for eternity. The Yists are trying to kill Palmer but they can't because this world is stronger than the Dream World. All SubGeniuses MUST WATCH GOLF TOURNAMENTS."

By Spider on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:37 pm:

Actually, sloth is spiritual laziness, not physical laziness. Otherwise known as acedia. It's close to despair -- not caring about anything, not working for salvation, not doing anything to better yourself.

A priest wrote this:

"The term in classical Christian spirituality for life-robbing dreariness or sadness is “acedia.” St. Gregory the Great (c. 540-604) included this term among the seven deadly sins (Moralia xxxi, 87, where it is called “tristia” or sadness). This form of ennui or apathy is linked to our greatest possibility. To be oppressed by weariness and boredom is to despair of the glory to which God calls us.

"Acedia shrivels our vision of God’s goodness and love. It is born from a loss of hope in ever achieving what God’s love wants for us: our eternal happiness under the sovereignty of God’s love. It is spiritually fatal because it means that we do not want what God—Happiness Itself—wants for us: we do not want Happiness Itself."

By Trace on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

hey hey hey hey, I dont think your supposed to be typing your excavation summaries here, for god's sake dont subject us to the crap they rattle on with....... geesh

:-)

By semillama on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

I'm not THAT evil. Holy shit.

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 06:01 pm:

I know their is more to sloth than just being lazy but, I feel so extra lazy today its probly a sin. I do not have despair in my heart I got a heart full of goofyness I will sit in the sun and dream bout making love or fast cars or swiming in the sea. Maybe I will dream about nothing at all. I was gonna write a poem about this nice lazy day I am having but Im too damn lazy to pick up a pen.

By Dougie on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

"heart full of goofyness"

Wish I could find some of that. Enjoy your youth while you're young, Oswald.

By Platypus on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 08:13 pm:

I'm suffering from envy *and* lust today, so there!

Yay, my skunk friend is here!

By droopy on Monday, June 11, 2001 - 08:18 pm:

save some youth for when you're old, oswald.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

That is what every body says to me to enjoy my youth and I sure try my very best. It could suck to be old but then you know more stuff. I like old people too when they are cool to me and are not against me cause I look trippy. Being young is not always easy. People think you dont know jack shit and they also think you are a theif who will shop lift and steal. And you do not get to act like an adult very much like, sex and beer and stuff.

By Hal on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

So lets see what deadly sins Hal has rolling for him today...

SLOTH (I really don't feel like working,)
    ENVY (of every person walking down the street with someone special holding their hand,)
    GREED (Because I want something that I can't have,)
    PRIDE (Because I have way to much of it and refuse to admit the fact that I gave up,)
    WRATH (if I ever find out anything about her and the ex B/F before me, I'll kill his ass,)
    And the only two that DON'T apply to me right now are:
    GLUTTONY (because I'm to friggin poor,)
    and LUST (because lusting with your hand isn't lust.)

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

I got SLOTH all over again. I am GREEDY but its for sex which make it LUST instead. I got big time LUST for Dorian my boyfriend. I have WRATH just a tiny bit but I am workin on it. GLUTTONY cause I just scarffed down a big bag of chips and a candy bar and jello too. No real ENVY exceapt I wish I had more money and that makes it GREED. PRIDE cause I got a hot ass and I know it. Cardinal sins are fun. Which sin is COVETOUSNESS the same as. In the Pentecostal church there are no cardinal sins it is all just plain old sin it dont matter if its masturbetion or murder its all the same thing.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

Wouldn't Envy and Covetuousness be about the same? How about coveting the delivery boy? That should count.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

ain't nothing wrong with jello.

i don't believe in sin. what a stupid concept.

especially the idea that there is some all loving god who will send an unrepentant masturbator to spend eternity in a pit of fire whereas the murderer who asks for forgiveness will join the holy host.

fuck that shit. what kind of corporate relgion crap is that?

no offense intended, of course.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:14 pm:

Hey, according to the Roman Catholics, McVeigh's in heaven now, right? He did get last rites after all.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

If you believe everyone is God, and you believe it is wrong to hurt others and to be deceitful, you inherently believe in sin.

What's to believe in, anyway? You feel guilt, remorse, regret, or shame when you do something you wish you hadn't / not done something you wish you had, right? Sin isn't abstract.

Besides, the "7 deadly sins" aren't sins in themselves, they're proclivities to sin. Anger isn't a sin, the emotion of anger. Beating someone up is a sin. *ahem* Feeling attracted to someone isn't a sin; acting on it inappropriately is. Why? Because doing so either hurts you, hurts someone else, or hurts your relationship with God.

Anyway, I used to look at the list of the 7 and think I was only guilty of wrath. I've got them all now, and my strongest temptation is to acedia, or despair.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

No good Catholic would be so presumptuous as to try to determine where Timothy McVeigh's soul is. That's God's job.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

"If you believe everyone is God, and you believe it is wrong to hurt others and to be deceitful, you inherently believe in sin."

i believe that it doesn't make sense to hurt yourself. working against yourself will get you no where.

this is not sin. sin implies a tally somewhere. sin implies that someone is concerned about your actions and that you will be held accountable for these actions.

"You feel guilt, remorse, regret, or shame when you do something you wish you hadn't / not done something you wish you had, right?"

is this the criteria for sin? i don't think this has anything to do with sin.

i feel guilty that i threw out every apple my mom packed in my lunches from fourth until sixth grade. every single one. was it a sin? i doubt it. unless the apple god is out to get me.

i don't feel guilty for cranking one off now and again. hell, even beating off three (or more!) times a day doesn't get to me. is it a sin? according to your god it is.

is sin absolute? is there a rulebook somewhere? or is it purely subjective? how can sin not be abstract? it's either undefinable or incomprehensible, depending on who you talk to ("No good Catholic would be so presumptuous as to try to determine where Timothy McVeigh's soul is. That's God's job.")

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:50 pm:

Some folks beleave that you can be all prayed up and get forgive for your sins but then if you have a sin at the very last moment of your life then you will go to hell. Like you can be all perfect and holy but if you curse and say OH SHIT befoare the train runs you over and you die you will go to hell. That is the holyness belief. So you have to pray all the time and watch out for every little sin and dont think about sin cause it will get you in the end and if you have just one little sin you will burn for ever. You have to fight sin every moment of every day. Man that is a hard way to live.

By droopy on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 04:55 pm:

"*ahem* Feeling attracted to someone isn't a sin; acting on it inappropriately is."

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

- Matthew 5:27-28, Sermon on the Mount, Jesus

"That's the thing about being Catholic: if you feel like going uptown and diddling Mary Catherine at her apartment, save the cab fare - you just did it."

- George Carlin

By Trace on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of god.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:01 pm:

except for me. i am the glory of god.

live with it. heathens rock.

By The Apple God Steve on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:06 pm:

There you are. Finally!

<smite smite smite smite smite>

By Trace on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

OOOO Nate's been smitten

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

Smote. Not smitten. Smitten means to be taken with or to fancy someone.

By Trace on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:29 pm:

Thanks, I was trying to make a joke-----

By droopy on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:31 pm:

isn't it the past participle?

the apple god smote nate; nate has been smitten.

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

Yes, you're right droopy. Sorry Trace. I'll just go crawl back into my hole right now.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:47 pm:

i am i am!

and i spent the weekend in an excess of heathen debauchery.

so to hell with me, first!

By patrick on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:52 pm:

save me a seat bitch

By droopy on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

Living easy, living free
    Season ticket on a one-way ride
    Asking nothing, leave me be
    Taking everything in my stride
    Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
    Ain't nothing I would rather do
    Going down, party time
    My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on the highway to hell

No stop signs, speed limit
    Nobody's gonna slow me down
    Like a wheel, gonna spin it
    Nobody's gonna mess me round
    Hey Satan, payed my dues
    Playing in a rocking band
    Hey Momma, look at me
    I'm on my way to the promised land

(Don't stop me)

And I'm going down, all the way down

By Hal on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

Who wants to come up to Montana this friday for some beer, and some vollyball, and some food???

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

where would i fly in to?

By Hal on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 07:22 pm:

You would fly into the airport here in Missoula, MT the airport code is MSO.

I can gurentee a good time.

By Cat on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 07:25 pm:

You'd fly into my ass.

I really, really want to post the lyrics to "Devil Gate Drive" by Suzi Quatro but I can't find them. I always want to take off my clothes when I hear that song.

Chris Isaak's "Baby did a bad, bad thing" has that effect too.

By Trace on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 07:50 pm:

I have never seen such revelling in debauchery.
    I LOVE IT!!!

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 08:24 pm:

ME TOO! I LOVE TO DRINK AND SMOKE DOPE AND FUCK! I LOVE IT!!!

By Nate on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 10:51 pm:

GUESS WHAT I'M DOING NOW? I'M DRINKING COORS LIGHT AND SMOKING DITCHWEED FROM A COKE CAN!!!!

AIII AII AIIII!!

I'M GOING TO GO FUCK A HORSE!!
    THERE!! I FUCKED A HORSE!

OOOOOO.

By Trace on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 11:04 pm:

I can tell

By pez on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 12:06 am:

this would be a good time for satan to show up.

but now it's time for the sin game:

SLOTH (i skipped studying and went downtown instead.)
    GLUTTONY (stopped at baskin robbins and had a doule scoop: old fashioned butter pecan and fudge brownie.)
    and
    LUST (drooled over the tattooed hardened record store god in front of my would-be boyfriend.)
    but not:
    ENVY (i can't think of a time i really envied anyone today.)
    GREED (i admired the four-headed blue dog figurine in the record store window but i only commented on it. don't want it that bad.)
    PRIDE (maybe a little. i don't know.)
    or
    WRATH (what's that?)

this game is fun, but only as long as i get to be vanna white.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 01:01 am:

who else could you be?

sloth: i fist fucked madonna
    gluttony: anal sex with the ny mets
    lust: the produce section in the ass of your mom.
    envy: breaking in to the north dutton girls' academy correctional facility.
    greed: busting out in the north dutton girls' academy correctional facility
    pride: feltching joe public from the colon of mr. wrong.
    wrath: seven up and bourbon poured liberally on the naked ass of a baboon prostitute.

By Spider on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 08:55 am:

Nate, I want to address what you said up there:

*I think bottom-up. I don't think of sin as abstract, a vague evil that floats around in the atmosphere. I think of it simply as the evil that we do. It's seen in action. Those actions usually provoke feelings of guilt, etc. That's why I brought that up. Guilt and sin are correlated, not contingent. Exhibit A: serial killers. Exhibit B: scrupulosity.

*Attraction and lust are not synonyms.

I have a question for you: where is the justice in your world view?

By Spunkrat Trace on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 09:04 am:

Is scrupulosity a word?

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 09:25 am:

Do you understand what he means by it? Then it's a word.

By Spider on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:21 am:

Scrupulosity, in the spiritual sense, is high anxiety caused by thinking every little thing you do is a sin.

This is what was behind my mental turbulence last month. It was instigated by my going to confession and being told that, essentially, I was going to hell and dragging everyone with me. It took me three weeks to realize the priest had misunderstood me and that I wasn't an evil person after all.

By Spunkrat Trace on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:33 am:

Thank you, now I don't fee quite as stupid.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 11:40 am:

define evil.

a rather abstract concept in its own right.

i'm late for work.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 11:53 am:

How much of your emotional/mental turbulance would you attribute to the religion you susbcribe to spider? Do you ever think of your subscription running out?

Going to confessions seems so sadistic, I don't understand.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 12:11 pm:

i'm really late for work now.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

fuck it , stay home.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 01:14 pm:

i'm at work now.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

fuck it, go home

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 01:26 pm:

naw. i have friday off. it's a short week for me.

and i have shit to do. which is why i am here, writing this.

i was told about the shamanic tradition to walk the line between good and evil, being neither. i like the way it sounds.

but i still don't know what evil is. or good, for that matter. it seems the definition only holds in the extremes. and even then, who thinks they are anything but good?

if evil is subjective, sin must be abstract.

if you can't know god, how can you know what will distance god from you.

the human mind is capable of deluding itself perfectly. how does this factor into sin and/or evil?

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 01:57 pm:

maybe you should go home

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:07 pm:

Sloth: slept in till 5:07 instead of 5:00
    Envy: wished I was still sleeping like my wife
    Lust: Not yet
    Pride: Not Yet
    Greed: Wished I had more money
    Wrath: Spent $18.00 on 12 gallons of gas, yes wrath. Especially since I drive 150 miles a day, and only get 25 miles to the gallon. That is 6 gallons, or $9 a day in gas. Jesus. Once you add in $4 for a pack of smokes, $1.00 for a soda, and $1.00 for a donut, I might as well stay at home.

Wrath that my stupid ass mother in law took annie to see the baby she had hit on the head with a base ball bat (had to be something fucking hard to crack a seven month old's skull). Pissed that the DFS allowed this. More pissed that the police will likely drop the charges and DFS will give the baby back to annie because they can't prove annie did it. I was fucking choked untill i passed out like once a month from kindergarten until i moved out at 19. i dont want to see the baby go through that! FUCKING PEOPLE!

What was the 7th sin? Oh yeah, gluttony.
    I ate 2 pieces of pizza and three bread sticks for lunch, plus a MEDIUM (take that) coca-cola.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

SEVEN was a fucked up movie, by the way

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

It ain't gluttony if it's not a JUMBO COKE.

On scrupolisity, did anyone see that 20/20 or was it 60 minutes,on religious OCD? These people were so whacked by this, every minute they were praying or crossing themselves and such. Pretty sad. One kid, it took him two hours to get dressed because he had to do a ritual over ever piece of clothing.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

i looked it up.

I am the Lord, and there is none else. I form the light, and create the darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the lord do all these things

-Isaiah 45:6-7

Shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?

-Amos 3:6

evil is all part of god's plan. embrace it.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

He created it, but if you touch it, your gonna burn!!!!!!!!!

By heather on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

good and evil are the same thing

but i repeat myself

By Oswald Jr. on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

How is good and evil the same thing? I dont get it. But I guess I can be evil and good all at the same time. I can be evil but in a way that feels real good. Like when I think about Dorian makeing love to me. That is a fantacy for now and it is evil but man it feels so damn good.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:04 pm:

if satan is the father of lies, and god created satan, then god created lies, correct?
    It's all a trap!
    There is no way out!

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

we are all god and god is everything, ozzy.

By Oswald Jr. on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

But, the Bible says that you are not supose to say you are God cause thats what Lucifer did and now he's Satan and he is going to have to live in hell. His sin was pride he wanted to be God. If a man say that he is God then he will be like Satan and the falen angels. I guess. Its all very confuseing.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

"God" is a psychotic space alien. Does that help?

By Oswald Jr. on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

Yeah. It helps a LOT.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'? If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and scripture cannot be broken), do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."

John 10:34-37

jesus maintained that we are no different than he.

By J on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:57 pm:

I think we were cloned from space aliens,you know Eve was made from Adam's rib,There is a line in Genisis,which I will look for but,the baby's crying now.bb.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 04:56 pm:

Science does not remove the terror of the Gods.

I fart at those who claim to know what god wants.

By Cat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

Trace, you are spending more on cigarettes than you are on food and drink. Think about that.

Give them up. In 72 hours your body will be nicotine-free. The rest is just all in your mind.

If you put that $4 a day in a share trust fund, your daughters would be able to take their pick of colleges. And you might live to see them graduate.

Smoking is evil.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

so is your diet, spunkrat.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:15 pm:

Damn, smokes are $5.15 a pack out here. I got no children to live to see graduate. Although I wouldn't mind seeing that $5.15 a day going into my S&P500 spider fund. 150 miles round trip to work, Trace? That's a pisser. If I had to drive that, road rage & high blood pressure would kill me a hell of a lot faster than cigarettes.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

Woops, sorry, I meant spunkrat.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

gas is $2 a gallon out here. quit your bitchin spunkrat.

By crimson on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

i quit smoking when ciggies went up to .60 a pack in the '70s. i wasn't going to pay 60 damn cents for smokes. it was just ridiculous.

man, i'm glad i quit.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

i bet you are crimson.
    damn, you in CA, right nate?
    what REALLY sucks is that my airconditioner somehow stopped working this winter when my father in law was messing around under the hood.
    of course, he swears its "just a coincidence", and I bitch at him about getting it fixed (since he broke it this winter) and he keeps saying "other things are more important". Yeah, like making sure your grandson gets the crap knocked out of his head some more by your daughter, right?????

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

BTW, i eat fruit with my dinner, so that helps my diet.
    I know, soda and donuts for breakfast, pizza and soda for lunch.

but get this, I lost 30 lbs in the last year so far!

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

i've lost 25lbs since april.

i'm in california.

fruit? how about vegetables? do you eat your protien in the morning and your carbs at night? do you drink 10 glasses of water a day? does your shit stink?

By patrick on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 06:30 pm:

i was under the impression its good to eat your carbs before noon if possible, so you have the day to burn them....proteins at night, since proteins move through your body smoother, faster and arent stored as energy like carbs.

i fluctuate weight. although in 7 years i've gone from 145 to 175. But Im usually between 170 and 180...for 6'2"...i think thats closer to normal than my scrawny 145lbs several years ago. I think rather, from 19 to 26 ive filled out.

i hate hearing lectures abour smoking. I like my cigarettes most of the time.

I pay $42/month for a bus/subway pass. I get 36/42 mpg on the car. It costs us roughly $20 to fill up once a week.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 06:36 pm:

your impressions are wrong, patrick. as usual.

in 7 years i went from 155 to 205. i'm at 180 now. i'm 3'4".

By pez on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

i haven't weighed myself in the last year.

working keeps my arms toned, i'm constantly stretching and sorta dancing. walk everywhere i can.

eat to fill your belly and avoid saturated fats. i've got an excellent cholesterol level because i don't eat nearly as many animal products as some people.

it's not how you look, it's not the numbers on the scale, it's how you FEEL.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 07:14 pm:

OK....so what IS YOUR impression. I say impression because there are a million and on conflicting ideas on a good diet. Because i have not made a serious inquiry into dieting or loosing weight...nor do i need to i have not gotten any information other than various articles in various magazines. Maybe you;ve seen a dietician.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

maybe i am a dietician.

jesus christ, you and your lip.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 08:02 pm:

My shit does stink, as a matter of fact, why? Your's does not, i suppose?
    i eat veggies at dinner, and today was an unusual lunch, I have been eating subway-like sandwiches (no, I am not doing that goofy subway diet on tv, I like cheese on my damn sandwiches).

By pez on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 08:24 pm:

i've never seen a nutritionist.

all i do is avoid all meat and never have more than a tiny amount of sugar at the same time as caffiene.

my mom says it's a poor diet, but i make sure to get plenty of soy and beans to keep the protein machine running. no vitamins required.

i just finished dying my hair. it's a deep red/brown. almost purply black. i love it.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 08:29 pm:

Sounds cool pez

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 08:48 pm:

you can't get taurine from non-animal sources.

taurine is an important amino acid.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 09:30 pm:

what the fuck don't you know something about, nate?

By dave. on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 09:41 pm:

drink red bull.

tastes like pez.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 09:56 pm:

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:34 pm:

THAT SITE SUCKED, NEVER MIND

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:35 pm:

i knew all that already.

coffemate is so flamable because it is such a small particulate. lots of surface area. if the particles were larger, it would be hard to ignite.

By Trace on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:36 pm:

Naye,
    were you telling the truth about your hight (simply wonderin, promise)

By dave. on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 11:02 pm:

copier toner also makes a hell of a fireball. toner is nade of styrene particles so small, they flow like a liquid.

attach a fuse that gives you about 2 or 3 seconds to a toner canister. find a HIGH bridge, preferably over water. light, drop and get down.

boom.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 11:23 pm:

i had a job once refilling toner cartridges.

no, i was lying about my height.

By heather on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:08 am:

LIAR!

john was a crazy motherfucker. i remember him, remember.

god wants me.

everyone tell me how tall you are. i will compare you. make a chart.

later i will tell you the story of being at my sister's house

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:15 am:

5'10"

By Czarina on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:06 am:

5'1"

By Cat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:12 am:

5'6"

Actually that's a lie, but it's close enough. It's such a nothing height. Neither short nor tall. It's more in heels though.

Antigone is going to try and tell you he is 6'4" but that's a big fat lie. He's really 6'3 3/4" (I don't know how to write it in your funny old-fashioned measuring thingamebob)

By Czarina on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:21 am:

If Cat gets to wear heels,and count that height,I think I should be allowed to *poof* up my hair,and count that too.

By Cat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:31 am:

Well nah, I'm 5'5 4/7" with just my feet on. But I just take some journalistic licence, since I have a journalist's licence ,or I would have if journalists had licences, which they don't.

You think about that sentence for a while and you'll start to see stars.

By droopy on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:01 am:

4'10"

By agatha on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:12 am:

that's sitting, droop? correct?

i'm 5'6" also. or, similar to cat, between the five and six somewheres.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:28 am:

5'5 4/7"

that's 1/14 of an inch away from 5'5 1/2.

why not say 5' 5 1/2" ?

i'm actually 5'11".

no, actually i'm 5'10 1/39"

jesus fucking judas.

By Cat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:26 am:

Shut the fuck up Nate. I'm a vain bitch and don't want to be 5'5 1/2", I want to be 5'9" but even I can't get away with that, so 5'6" is better.

It makes sense in another galaxy somewhere. Honest.

By moonit on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 05:09 am:

damn you non-metric people.

173cm.

By semillama on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:23 am:

so about 5'6"?

I am 1.67m tall, and worth the climb.

(5'5" for you English/Imperial rule users out there).

By Spider on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:32 am:

5'4" barefoot

So, droopy, how tall were you?

By Spider on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:32 am:

Heather, did your sister get married yet? Did you sing your song?

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:33 am:

5'10"

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

6'2" barefoot. 6'3" with my shoes on.

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

5'8,I heard you can make grapes spark in a microwave oven.

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:39 pm:

6'3 but I seem much taller.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:11 pm:

holy shit cyst.

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

even though i knew that....its still blows me away.

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

yeah, but I'm smart and pretty and stuff, so it's OK.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

i bet you don't wear heels often.

i didn't say it wasn't ok.

btw: i bought a phillip roth book the other day. i was going to buy the one you recommended, but my memory doesn't work that way. so i bought one that was yellow.

By Spider on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:36 pm:

Cyst does wear heels. She has nice boots that she's described before.

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

hey, cool. portnoy's complaint? the audio tape set of that has a yellow cover. portnoy's complaint is a good place to start. it's very funny; you will like it.

I wear heeled boots and fancy shoes sometimes. sometimes I like to make a scene.

however, a lot of the time I wish I didn't invite strangers' comments, which I either have to pointedly ignore (my response 99.99 percent of the time) or answer. like yesterday waiting for the bus. after the little old chinese lady moved away from all the asshole drunken (?) homeless guys, then they had to start in on me. I never looked up from my edith wharton book. fucking bus always late.

and I've been restricted to a small gene pool to date within. and most women like tall guys, so it's a pool that gets fished a lot, you know? but even so I've always managed to do ok for myself. right now I can't think of any guy I really wanted to try out and didn't get a chance to.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

portnoy's complaint.

you don't date shorter men?

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:00 pm:

oh, I just thought of one. back when I liked guys with really long hair, I had a crush on an upper-class liberal aryan hippie environmentalist guy, the son of the publisher of one of those happy-left magazines you see in newsstands in college towns. one night at the house of a mutual friend of ours, a jewish anarchist vegetarian, he fell asleep, and I stroked his long stupid blond hair. our friend saw me, laughed, and reminded me of that poem, "the rape of the lock," and that homeless college library masturbator guy who had recently come in a sleeping coed's hair.

our friend was also tall.

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

you must be at least 73" tall to go on this ride.

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

damn

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

oh, come on, that's totally generous. a piddling 6'1.

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:19 pm:

no i juts liked the way you phrased it.

By Czarina on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

I always wished I was tall,like Cyst.
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

People tend to pick me up alot.
    It is difficult to be taken seriously,when your feet are dangling in the air.

By Spider on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:09 pm:

"and that homeless college library masturbator guy who had recently come in a sleeping coed's hair."

That's horrible.

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

In Genesis55:11-7:24,it goes on about the family of Adam's naming there names and how long(and I do mean long),that they lived,his family tree so to speak.By the next book 6 verse:Itt came to pass,when men began to multiply on the face of the earth,and daughters were unto them,That the sons of God saw they were fair:and they took them wives of all which they chose. What's up with that?

By Cat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

People are always saying dumb things to me like "you look like you'd break if I squeezed you" or "you look like a puff of wind could blow you away". Grrrrrrr. I'm actually quite deceptively strong thanks to more than 20 years of ballet, but I long to be broader across the shoulders and taller and more amazonian all around.

I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I was shorter or taller or fatter or whatever. Our physical presence plays such a big part in our lives.

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days;and also after that,when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men,and they bare children to them,the same became mighty men which were of old,men of renown.

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

so would the jizzmop hair-do be considered a sin?

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

I'm trying to tell the difference between the sons of God and the daughters they mated with came from,earth?

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 06:45 pm:

it's a big mystery, J.

ask enoch.

By pez on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:03 pm:

5' 11+1/2" the last time i was measured, at 14.

five years ago.

the tall guys tend to be the strangest ones. they can get away with anything around girls it seems. stupid.

phil (my pillow boy) is 6' 3" but i can't have a good convo with him and so i'm not intellectually stimulated around him at all. it sucks.

if it weren't for him, i'd be all over one of his friends in a second. a shorter boy with small feet and a brain that's been used. i thought he was gay at first because he seemed to fit that stereotype.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

I like my body, although it's starting to show signs of age. I'm exactly like my dad. At 38, I'm the same weight (and height fortunately) that I was at 19. 6'1" 190 pounds, long and lanky, although my beer gut is coming along nicely at this point. Note to self: must start situps one of these days.

By crimson on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 08:37 pm:

when i was a kid, in sunday school, that stuff w/ the "daughters of men" was explained this way...demonic beings mated w/ earthly females & created a race of mutants. the unions were not meant to be. they were evil & the result was a race of monsters.

there are some people today who believe that god is going to revive these mutants in the end times (the tribulation period) & that they'll have fiery stingers, like scorpions (no, i'm NOT making this up...there really are people who believe this). they'll sting & torment mankind because god will have turned his back upon all but (approximately) 144,000 sinners.

long story.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 09:55 pm:

6'4"

Don't listen to her.

I'm back, btw. If I get fired for reading and posting, so be it. This project is too insane for me to care...

By Czarina on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 12:12 am:

Welcome home!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact