belgian stuff

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: belgian stuff
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 - 11:38 pm:

picked my mother up at the airport tonight. she'd spent the last 2 weeks in belgium. she brought me back stuff, as mothers do -

- a metal tray that is crowded with pictures of every beer made in belgium on it, along with the words "cheers from belgium!"

- a t-shirt with all of the beers of belgium on it. (my mother knows what i like.)

- a jar of something called "advocaat", which is some kind of pudding-like aperitif, along with an aperitif glass to put it in.

- a reprint of a 1947 tintin comic (in flemish) called "de scepter van ottokar."

- two framed, 3-d (raised) panels from the same comic.

i took her back home and she fed me some potent belgian beer called "brugse tripel."

By Cat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:09 am:

I adore souvenirs. Your mother sounds far too tasteful though. For me, there's nothing like a snow globe with flourescent beer cans and a vomiting man in lederhosen to really say "I've been to Germany". Or a glow in the dark pulsing red neon heart jesus statue to make you feel like you're really in Rome.

If you are unable to travel right now and feel left out, you can always take a virtual jaunt to the lederhosen museum. Be sure to visit the suspender gallery while you're there. - http://www.lederhosenmuseum.de/GBhomepage.htm

Incidentally, I'm going to a few Asian countries, particularly Thailand and Vietnam for a while in October. It will be my annual yes-I'll-get-you-a-bloody-souvenir-trip so start thinking about whether you want a cheap t-shirt or a nasty sarong or some other special momento. It's a big decision, I know, so I wanted to give you all plenty of time to consider your options.

By wisper on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:27 am:

i want the most useless thing you can find, the most pointless trashy crap that has nothing to do with the place you bought it. I collect them.
    Like the Niagra Falls boomerang.

wtf

By Cat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:31 am:

dave. is taken. Hehe. Sorry. Smack me.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 10:41 am:

you going to bangkok? i'd like a picture.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 11:58 am:

a few quarter grains (or grams) of some good Thai H.

By Hal on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

If your going to vietnam something soviet, the shit is everywhere and granted most of it is fake. But nothing says I love more then a North Veiatnamese Pith Helmet with a bright red star up front.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

soveitsky.com

one stop shop for all things surplus and soviet.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 02:37 pm:

when i was a kid, i used to play with the stuff my father brought home from vietnam. one day i found a bunch of pictures of dead, mutilated villagers. i asked my dad about it, but he just said "you don't need to be looking at those."

By cyst on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:03 pm:

sounds like your mom was in a flemish part of belgium. isn't advocaat dutch? isn't it some sort of disgusting, sweet egg liqueur?

I brought about a million soviet stamps back from ukraine.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

You mean this?

My friend ordered a night vision optic piece from them. Talk about cool, what a great toy.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

FUCK ATHIHSHIT

i have a night vision optic piece. ex-soviet, even.

i wonder if it is the same.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

my mom was in various places in belgium, but it'd been her lifelong dream to see bruges (brugge). i really didn't know what advocaat was when i wrote that, i just had a little jar of it and a little glass to put it in. it's definitely not an aperitif, more like a dessert. it has "eierlikor" printed on the label. the ingredients in french are: 30% jaune d'oeuf; alc. 15% vol. eggs and booze, i guess.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

monk ale monk ale monkey alley mo.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

it's dutch. egg, vanilla, brandy, etc.

a few years ago a friend of mine went on a nuclear tour of america with soviet night-vision goggles, and he ended up getting trailed by the fbi, osi, and air force security troops with m16s.

here's the episode where he gets stopped in montana after guessing the locations of a bunch of top-secret nuclear missile silo sites:

http://www.tabloid.net/1998/10/09/barney_981008.html

"See Agent Y sitting behind you?" said Agent X, starting the motor. "If you go for my gun, he'll kill you."

He'd said it with a serious voice, but I couldn't tell if he really was serious, or if this was some sort of dark FBI humor.

"Uh, OK," I said, smiling and hoping he'd been joking. I fastened my seat belt and looked back at Agent Y. Agent Y, it seemed, hadn't gotten the joke either.

By Spunkrat on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 04:42 pm:

That's pretty good, I liked that

By semillama on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

What ever happened? Is there a part five?

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

barney has been, uhm, censored.

By Agent y on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

no, what we mean to say is, uhm, barney has, uhm, lost his desire to write.

By Agent z on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

yeah, now that his fingers are all broken. heheh.

By Agent y on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

shit man, don't say that.

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

yeah man, he can still type.

By Agent z on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

i knew we should have cut his hands off.

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

i can type with my toes. xsee?"n i tyopde witgh mjuyh tyoiezsd.

By Agent z on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

and his feet.

By Agent y on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

what about typing with a stick in his mouth?

By Agent z on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

i dunno. we broke his mouth up pretty good.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

yeah, i was trying to find part five. part five is where the agents question him about a woman I introduced him to in portland the night we played "silence of the lambs" in the basement. I'll try to find it for you.

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

we sure as hell did! fuckin' a! when you started knocking his teeth out with his night scope. that was fucking raw!

By Agent y on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

calm down, joe.

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

hey, you're not supposed to use real names!

By Agent y on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

shut the fuck up, joe.

By Agent z on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

you want me to shoot him?

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

what the fuck?

By Agent y on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

naw, put your cock back in your pants, frank. let's get the fuck out of here.

By Agent A on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:29 pm:

By cyst on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 05:29 pm:

part 5

http://www.tabloid.net/1998/10/26/barney_981026.html

"And now, with the collapse of the Evil Empire, you can have night vision for, like, two hundred bucks. Hell, I hear you can get the cheap Russian stuff at Wal-Mart. That stuff in the Trooper, it's totally crappy first-generation stuff."

Agent X glanced over at me. "It's better than mine," he said.

"Who is Heather Songoir?" came Agent Y's voice from the back seat. He hadn't said it especially loudly, but it broke the silence like a cannon.

"Heather who?" I replied, not recognizing with the name.

"Heather Songoir ... from Portland."

Now this was an interesting question. When I was in Portland, I'd stayed for a couple of days with my friend Julie and had met some of her friends, one of whom was a woman named Heather. I'd jotted her name and email address into one of my notebooks so I could add her to my Cold War Tour e-mail list. The interesting thing was, nowhere had I written down that she was from Portland, and it wasn't very obvious from her email address. How did Agent Y know?

------------

part 6

http://www.tabloid.net/1998/11/16/barney_981116.html

After a few minutes, Agent X broke the silence.

"You might be interested to know that this is the Official Ted Kazcynski Blazer," he said.

"Well, you're not on any list. We don't keep lists." He paused. "I can tell you that your vehicle may not be welcome at any Air Force bases in the future. You might have some trouble that way, I'm afraid."

I thought about it. I could still just park the Trooper at the visitors' centers of wherever I went, and walk in. That didn't sound so bad.

"Well, that shouldn't hinder me too much. I mean, as long as I can still get tours and stuff of all these Cold War facilities."

"Maybe you could change your tour to some other part of history, something a little less. ... Well, maybe you should just follow the Lewis and Clark Trail or something?"

By Agent x on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 06:34 pm:

how come i always have to drive bitch!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact