doing what you love

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: doing what you love
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Joe on Sunday, September 2, 2001 - 10:20 pm:

loving what you do for a living really is like being on vacation every day. it took 25 years to find it, but now that i have it the years don't matter. i'm almost sorry that tomorrow is a holiday.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

this is a joke right?

im looking for the hidden camera?

right?

right?

you're an asshole right?

right?

the joke is on me , right? right?

whats for lunch joe?

By Hal on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 02:20 pm:

Death and Taxes

Multiply by infinity add forever and you'll still barely have a glimpse of what the fuck I'm talking about.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 03:22 pm:

idiots

the messed up part is they call this "punk rock". From what I heard of this group...sound like redneck rock. Sold as punk. All I can say is punk rock isnt sponsored by the largest, nationally reknowned mtv pop station in town, KROQ.

Fucking dumbasses.

i see this, and wonder what spider is worrying about with pez. this is what spider should be worrying about.

By pez on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

system of a down... they're not very memorable. most bands aren't.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

from what i heard that sound like another sorry ass rap/metal fusion. hardly punk.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

Whoever you're getting your info from is a fool. System of a Down is about as far away from rap metal as you can get. I like them a lot. They were drawing crowds in the thousands in LA before they were signed - that should tell you something. And they are Armenians, not rednecks. Very inventive and creative, worthy true successors to Black Sabbath in my view. As a guitarist, they catch my attention because the song writing is based on tight riffs instead of cheap gimmicks.

That article is crap, since they neglected to tell about how the authorities wouldn't let the band even come out and talk to the fans and tell them the show was canned. They canned the show a couple hours after it was supposed to start. Granted, the fans behaved like complete fucks. But it's not the band's fault. The LA authorities have no one but themselves to blame for how retarded they were in handling that.

(hey, Pez, weren't you talking about liking Crazy Town a while back? Just asking.)

By pez on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

i regretted crazy town. i bought their cd, listened to it once, then sold it to the wherehouse.

their first single was alt.pop style, and pretty catchy with a little rap.

their second single is the same song with some harder loops thrown in.

their album is crap. c-r-a-p. all hard rap metal and nothing like the single, and what's worse, it's not even good. it's sexist and stupid and i'm ashamed to have even liked their single.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 4, 2001 - 06:00 pm:

the music i heard sem sounded like half baked psuedo punk. there is totally a rap fusion. the kind beats they use are nothing like punkrock. They have that faith no more...slow up and down, Rage Against the Machine kind of beat.

they are no where near the punk scene in LA, maybe orange county, but not LA. Orange county is notorious for being a hotbed for shit music like this. the orange country suburbanite, oh i got it so bad im punk crap.

In the authorities defence, letting the band on stage to say why they couldnt play would have only have had the same outcome...their prescence on stage would have sanctioned the behavior I think. The problem was poor planning on the promoters end. They should have known how many kids would show up. It was the fire marshalls decision to shut it down not the police chief. Its not like the kids paid to get in there.

All the dumbass knitwits assured by their behavior is that the authorities probably wont let a show like this go on again. And considering it was put on by KROQ....which is the big label, MTV "alternative" radio in LA...good riddence.

By Joe on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:26 am:

hmmm,...

By dave. on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:36 am:

it's called prog rock. and it's totally punk, you fucking twit. it melds the best of tool and fugazi and mixes it with a bit of at the drive in spiced with any number of revelation bands. i've been obsessing with it for the last few weeks. history shows that i'll probably burn out on it like i do all other bands with the exception of kyuss, the fall, critters' buggin, pigeonhed and nomeansno (side projects included). but, maybe not. today, system of a down kicks my ass. the fucking troglodytes who call themselves fans can quickly go choke on their own vomit and die.

By Joe on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:50 am:

whatever you say!

By dave. on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:00 am:

go nail your dick to the wall.

By Friend of da contessa di wussi on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 02:59 am:

hee

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

prog rock?

you ass.

some kinda sphincter harmonica you toot boy.

revelation bands lick ass.

except Youth of Today, before Ray went nuts oh and Gorilla Biscuits.

By agatha on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

my friend owns revelation.

step off!

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

what does that have to do with anything? your friends can do things that suck too you know.

By dave. on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

fuck youth of today and gorilla biscuits. iceburn is the only revelation band that matters. they don't even really belong on revelation.

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

What's a revelation band?

What does the name "system of a down" signify, if anything?

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

I just saw Spider's post in Italian in WAYD which reminds me that I haven't seen anything posted by Spunky in a long time. What's up with that?

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

"system of down" means they were at a loss for a catchy name. oh the poor orange county suburbanites kiddies have it so bad.

Revelation is a punk record label. Mostly supporitng bands who are so called "straight edge", as in no drugs, no alcohol, no one night stand kind of relationships. Good clean punks...

By Spider on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

That's a very famous poem, Dougie, and Trace would do well with it because the Italian is easy.

Primo Levi wrote a great poem called "The Dromedary," but for the life of me I can't find it in Italian anywhere, and I can't remember how to say "dromedary" in Italian, either.

By agatha on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

revelation is not even remotely about straightedge anymore. the bands that jordan has been putting out for the past ten years have been daring and unique and i think they are great.

it's really easy to throw things into categories, isn't it?

however, i find that it tends to be best not to.

By Jesus christ on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

Lawmaker Claims Psychic Contact

ATLANTA (AP) - During a morning devotional message, a Georgia state legislator told her House colleagues that she can communicate with the dead and has been ``visited'' by missing intern Chandra Levy.

Rep. Dorothy B. Pelote told fellow lawmakers that she has psychic abilities.

``The last person who visited me was - I don't know if I need to call her name,'' the Savannah Democrat said from the speaker's rostrum. ``Maybe I should not, because it's a controversial death now. She's missing. You know who I'm talking about. She has visited me. She has.''

Pelote did not mention Levy's name on the House floor but confirmed later to The Macon Telegraph that she was referring to the 24-year-old California woman who has been missing since April 30.

Pelote, a former teacher elected in 1992, told lawmakers her psychic experiences began after she nearly drowned as a child. She had a vision of a bright fireball in the sky and later began having visions of dead people, she said.

``And the older I get, the stronger it becomes,'' Pelote said.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 06:45 pm:

blah blah blah miss smarty pants.

i actually haven't listened to anything by that label in years, other than the two afformentioned bands and a few others.

im all about generalizing, typecasting and stereotyping.

just like the weenies at Lookout are just that, weenies, the artfags at K are just that, the doogooders are Dischord are just that, the uptights at Epitaph and Amphetimine Reptile, that cock sucker at Teenbeat Brad Rock who sent us the lame rejection letter I had framed in my dorm, The guys at Sympathy For the Record Industry seem nice though.

judge judge judge.

yeah its easy. so is riding a bicycle.

By Czarina on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 10:13 am:

Thats really weird,Dougie.I was thinking about the SpunkMeister,just last night.Maybe we have psychic powers,too.I'm gonna go ask Cleo.

By sarah on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

the new David Byrne release kicks major ass.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

Could be. What am I thinking now, Czarina?

By Czarina on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 09:50 am:

Budweiser?

By Dougie on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 10:37 am:

Damn, you're good Czarina. Had a Budweiser/OJ smoothie for breakfast this morning.

By Czarina on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 10:48 am:

Well,I guess I'll have to confess.I was unable to read your mind,so I called Cleo,and for only $29.95 a minuet,she gave me the answer.

By Dougie on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

Actually, I've started drinking Coors Light and Amstel Light. My girlish figure is becoming a bit rotund in the middle.

By patrick on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

Coors? aghhhhhh!!

I dig Amstel, that was my butta in Vegas.

but fuckin Coors??? god damn.

By Dougie on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

Yeah, anything Light, except for Bud Light. Can't wait til they come out with Tequiza Light and Zima Light. Damn, I'm starting to get a complex with my drinking habits here.

By Payphone Man on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

By sarah on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 08:31 pm:

i had a three hour job interview today for a dotcom that does security software engineering. whooopeeeee.

when i am 55 i am going to own and operate a small little tea shop in a small little town in the country and i'm going to play checkers with my patrons and give butterscotch candy to their kids.

By Sheila on Friday, September 7, 2001 - 11:23 pm:

oh i think not. at 55 you will be fending off
    kevins and secret milk drinkers.

By dave. on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 01:20 am:

by then, the kevin ray will have been perfected and incorporated into personal protection devices. along with the shawn ray, the ian ray, and the richard ray.

By cyst on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:47 am:

I just found out that the seal press editor wants to include my essay in her book.

thursday I'm going to be part of a reading that is going to be the pick of the day in the important weekly. they're going to list my name so I will have to show up.

I hope three drinks will be enough to stop my voice from shaking.

I haven't even decided what to read yet. it has to be a letter.

By patrick on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:58 am:

whats the nature of the book you speak of?

this is good for you?

you wish to be published?

By cyst on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

are you supposed to want to be published? isn't that the goal?

By droopy on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

no, you're supposed to sow all your texts up into little chapbooks to be found after your dead.

but being published while your alive is cool, too.

congrats.

By patrick on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

I dunno if its the goal or not cyst. people write for all kinds of reasons. i doubt most people who keep diaries want them published.

what about the other two questions....

By wisper on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

a friend bought the 1st System of a Down
    album because he thinks the singer sounds
    just like Jello B. at times, which he does.

i like them both.

By Joe on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 04:15 am:

wow,...interesting thread and look when it ended. all i said was that i love what i do for a living. i just wanted to exchange some ideas. but none of you had anything to add other than sarcasm. you changed the subject to something that clearly had no meaning after the attacks on nyc. none of you wanted to be associated with this thread after the attacks. what happened?

By Joe on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 04:26 am:

by the way, patrick, YOU are a joke, right? YOU are an asshole, right? it's easy to make fun of me but it's hard to address the topic. oops,...i'm sorry. i forgot that you're so cool that you are already doing what you love for a living, like everyone else on this site (yeah,...right).

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 05:49 am:

so Joe, what are you doing that you love so much?

i'm doing what i love.

not a goddamn thing.

By Antigone on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 09:43 am:

"you changed the subject to something that clearly had no meaning after the attacks on nyc."

That's because it was...uh...before the attacks.

"none of you wanted to be associated with this thread after the attacks."

So, is "what you love" reading other people's minds?

By TBone on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 10:10 am:

And, uh, you didn't give us anything interesting to talk about.
    Really, if you had told us what you do, or why you like it, or something... Maybe... But probably not.
    But you like something. Great.
    And music still has meaning after the attacks. Life and everything still goes on.

By Dougie on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 10:19 am:

I think Joe is a musician if I remember correctly. Maybe leading a choral group or something?

By kazu on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 10:34 am:

Changing the topics of threads still has meaning after the attacks.

"it's easy to make fun of me but it's hard to address the topic"

What topic? Of you doing what you love? Hooray for you! Can we talk about other things now?

It's also really easy to post some vague comment and not follow up or respond to the rest of the conversation.

"i'm sorry. i forgot that you're so cool that you are already doing what you love for a living, like everyone else on this site (yeah,...right)."

Wow, you really got us there Joe.

Joe, are you this wierdly insecure in meatspace or is it something that this board just triggers every few months or so? I'm just curious.

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 10:38 am:

Maybe he's a bot that is programmed to pop up every couple of months.

By agatha on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:41 am:

I think he tends to post when drunk.

Patrick, you were such a dick back then, no offense. Being a dad has already mellowed you, even if you might not choose to admit it.

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:53 am:

but not that much!

By heather on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

joe is a total bore and we may never no why

i do something i love, though i don't always
    love waking up.

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

i don't admit nor deny such accusations dear agatha. People have mentioned it here at work as well. I don't deny that it possible has calmed me.

im also not too concerned about what i said to joe over 2 years ago.

At the time, I probably thought jibbing him would somehow spark something amusing because clearly he wasnt bringing the WOW! factor to the table in meatspace.

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

it possible has calmed patrick.

i remember joe now. he's the guy who's career is playing the organ?

joe buddy, we're in the same line of work. i play the organ 6-10 times a day.

stamina, baby.

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

you're all fuckin frauds.

i thought "meatspace" was a sorabji-born.

fucking A. do a google and see you've been had.

nate. how do you keep the organ from getting overly worn with such an intense regimen?

By TBone on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:40 pm:

Oh, I'd heard of meatspace before here. I even used it a couple times.

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

you know, that's a complete mystery. i think it is a miracle of god handed (no pun intended) down to me when i became unemployed and unengaged.

it used to be that exceeding 3 or 4 times in a day would yield some friction damage.

but, no longer, thankfully!

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

maybe the salty air helps.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

i would have thought that created more friction, not lessened it....

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

salt water helps a sore, scratchy throat doesnt it?

you've seen sea rocks that have been pounded by sea water for decades? nice and smooth.

By spunky on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 04:09 pm:

sure, after bleaching and sanding the rocks.........
    The finished product may be smooth, but damn

By semillama on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

plus salty.

The sea air might impart to stamina but as far as reducing friction, do you REALLY think rubbing your penis with salt water is a good idea?

By Spider on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

I think salt water helps sore throats by diluting and eliminating the irritating post-nasal drip. It doesn't, like, sand your throat. Hee!

By 8 on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

i'd sand your throat.

oh

oops.

By agatha on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 08:49 pm:

I wasn't talking about what you said to Joe, Patrick.

I thought either William Gibson or Neil Stephenson invented the expression meatspace. I remember reading it in a book by one of them awhile ago.

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 09:12 pm:

By patrick on Saturday, October 4, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

i know you werent agatha, but i was.

By Joe on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 02:49 am:

just a few words,...and look at all the posts that come after. i don't think i have any answers and, yes, i wake up some mornings and don't want to go to work, but i still enjoy (love) what i do for a living. i don't think i'm cool just because i do music for a living. so, i'm boring. so what?

By kazu on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 10:16 am:

ophelia (and anyone) did you watch the game last night? I only put it on for a few moments to check the score, but the minute I watched was when those guys knocked heads.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

me too.

ayeee!

CLONK!

ouchie

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

RALPH SNART LIVES.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 02:25 pm:

The fiddler on the Fuckin' Roof!

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

what the fuck are you talking about?

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:17 pm:

The Fiddler, man! The fiddler. The Fuckin Roof.

Behold A LADY.

By Ophelia on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:41 am:

hey i haven't checked in for a few days but i did see that, only from across the room, so i didn't really see what was going on, just the replays and that he looked hurt (i was being a dedicated study partner and didn't interrupt my friend since she doesnt give a shit about baseball and we had an exam the next day). it looked painful. yeah sox. hope springs eternal.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact