Baseball

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Baseball
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 09:25 am:

Congrats to the Diamondbacks! (Sorry Patrick!)Can't wait to see Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling pitch against the Yanks. I was pissed though that Fox split up the games last night -- I don't get Fox Sportsnet, so I could only see the Yanks game. Usually, I like the National league, but I also like the Yankees a lot, so I shouldn't complain too much. Jeez, it's going to be winter when they finally get done with the series.

Anybody else find the music that Fox uses for their baseball promos a little strange -- Smashing Pumpkins' Tonight Tonight, and Ride of the Valkyries with pictures of aircraft carriers? (For those of you unfamiliar with the classics, Ride of the Valkyries is music composed by Dick Wagner for the Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny cartoon in which Elmer Fudd sings, "Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit..." This music was later re-tooled and re-orchestrated by Dick's son, Dick Jr., for the movie, Apocalypse Now, and used in the scene where Robert Duvall's chopper cavalary storms the beach to surf. But enough with the history lesson.)

By J on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:15 am:

Yep Dougie,right on for the Diamondbacks,God knows they are getting paid enough.Every time I look at Randy Johnson,I think "you can dress them up,but you just can't take them out".You could shave him,put him in a tux,give him a haircut,and he'd still look like a redneck.

By patrick on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:52 am:

fuck

that johnson.....is he just not the biggest lookin red neck in baseball? i mean seriously...you think he goes home to a trailor? a baseball-salary-modified trailor?

if the yanks loose im gonna be so bummed.

i could careless about the mariners or the d-backs. i hate those uniforms they have. that solid sleeve, stripped, cut-out looking shirt. and the redneck pitcherfuckerhaemmutherhrjasewodijiju&%^!$*%!&%^#&%!*%!^(!&*()#*)(*

By Dougie on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 12:11 pm:

All I know is I'm glad I don't have to face the guy and his 100 MPH fastballs. Anybody remember that All Star Game where John Kruk of the Phillies faced Randy Johnson (who was on Seattle at the time -- the 2 had never faced each other), and basically, Kruk just bailed the whole time at bat, and was cracking up about it?

By Hal on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

Its the god damned Mullet people... If he got a hair cut and shaved that wyatt Erp shit off of his face he wouldn't look so bad.
    But for some reason I think the Mullet give him power.
    As for the ride of the vakeries theme... Its been used time and time again since Apocolypse Now to signify some sort of ass whoopin. And I guess this is what its for now too.

By dave. on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 06:39 pm:

i liken the yaknees to a rich guy who does a lot of exciting things. big, hairy deal. i'm way more impressed by an average guy who does a lot of exciting things. when you're expected to win the world series, what's the excitement? was it exciting for the bulls to win like they did? hell no, unless you're a complete dork.

By Hal on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

He's right...
    Thats why I hope detroit wins it next year.

I would say the expos, but their canadian.

By dave. on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 07:29 pm:

fox is also using some studio band cover of bad brains' "re-ignition" for their football promos.

call it rooting for the underdog or whatever but i hope the mariners take it back to seattle at least so they can stuff a sock in the reeking maw of the ny media and i'm happy to see the braves go down to an expansion team. congrats, d-backs.

By Dani on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 09:13 pm:

My Yankees are kicking ass right now. The crowd is going wild. Awesome game.

By trace on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 09:50 pm:

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BRAVES!

By Dougie on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:44 pm:

They lost.

By Hal on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:54 pm:

the braves....

By patrick on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 11:14 am:

trace they did what they have done for 3 years straight. get to the divison series and blow it. the most winningest, blowing it at the last minute team if I'm not mistaken.

i hoped for a yankee/brave rematch...but no such luck.

dave i dont view the yanks as the "rich guys doing great things" as much as I view them as a mega talented team with such entertaining players to watch you cant help but root for them. but ordinarily id pull for the underdog too. wait. the yanks were the underdog in the series with seattle, and the As. HA!

By Xyrea on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 11:41 am:

When I was little, my grandmother would take me to As games.

To picture this, think of a five foot nothing stick of a woman with grandma smell and a great big smile. A heart of gold who never raised her voice because it was unladylike. Now, imagine a really bad call by an umpire. I never heard the woman curse, but as a child, nothing made me more nervous than to see my grandmother upset. She was like a little tornado all by herself.

By J on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

Even though my taxes paid for Bank One Ballpark,I'm never going there again,I went one time,it cost a fortune($6.00 for a cup of beer and I've heard it's gone up)and I could see it better on the screen,it just wasn't natural.I'm looking forward to the game though,I'll be watching it on t.v. I love the sping practice games they are outside and cheap.

By patrick on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

HA! its like that everywhere J as far as prices go. You're not alone on that, but thats a given now isnt it. Whats sad is, even during the divison finals for the d-backs...attendance wasnt even at 80%. Thats sad.

the trick is J, bring a flask, and bring your own food.

we went to a dodger game once and brought a huge sack of peanuts, and filled our flask with whisky. Bought one big ass coke and we were set.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 02:08 pm:

Yeah, I heard that too, and thought it was strange that the park wasn't packed. I'm sure they'll fill it for the series though.

Eeeww, stadium Coke is nasty -- by the time the dude gets it to you, it's all watery and tastes like the wax cup, and the cup's all sticky -- those saran-wrap "shower cap" things they put on the top are useless.

I think the days of BYOB to any stadium are over.

By patrick on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 02:47 pm:

ive never noticed that.

naw...flasks are easy to conceal in your wife's purse. they never check those thoroughly.

By J on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

They do here,but I did manage to get a bottle of bacardi in at the A.S.U. stadium,hidden in my boot.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact