Presents!

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Presents!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
moonit on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

The best thing about being over here is that my christmas is a day earlier!

Mum woke me up at 7.30 (remarkable restraint there - its usually 6am) and I wandered over the road with a santa sack that he left at my house for her. When I walked in she passed over santa sacks for me and John (her man) and mine was full of wierd stuff... but useful stuff.

As expected I got lots of house presents - new duvet cover and sheets (real pretty), baking stuff, glasses with cows on 'em and some rockin cow slippers, that I am going to wear all day today.

John also gave me a little present from the dealer fairy so that was quite funny.

Now I'm off to visit Nana's grave, before heading to my Aunt's for a roast lunch. I made hokey pokey pudding, and nutty banoffie pie to contribute.

Happy Xmas guys - you've still got time to make sure Santa knows what you want!!

By droopy on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

so far i've gotten a quart of shrimp gumbo and a can of ginger cookies. i've always had a thing for ginger cookies.

By moonit on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 04:46 pm:

mmm ginger cookies

I forgot to mention my milk chocolate mountains with turkish delight. I love turkish delight.

oh and Pay it Forward - the book.

By eri on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 09:16 pm:

I have been wanting a pair of the low hip jeans. I got a pair from my mother. They are wayyyyyyyyyy to big. I hate taking things back. Especially when you like them.

My best friend got me a diamond necklace and matching earrings. I cried.

I also got a new book. How to make crafts in your microwave. Who knows. Could be interesting.

By droopy on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 11:23 pm:

i've already been through all of that gumbo. it was good.

me -

socks, underwear, a linen towel, t-shirt with "brussels belgium" on it, a sweatshirt with a line drawing of tintin on it, stainless steel 8" omelette pan, a bag of food and condiments, bottle of lagavulin single malt scotch, some cash which i will mostly put toward paying off my debts but will at least reserve a little for some blues.

mattie the cat (for whom i bought nothing) -

a new carrying case, toy mouse, a set of wacky cat balls, flea drops, cat litter, an anatomically correct "michelangelo's david" latex squeeze toy.

By Cat on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 02:24 am:

Does "anatomically correct" mean female genetalia? ;)

By moonit on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 02:32 am:

My aunt bought me a crown. Its gold and plastic and it has jewels that flash when you turn it on.

I'm a princess you know.

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 11:03 pm:

You've always been royality to us,you know :}

By moonit on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 02:06 am:

Andrew used to call me Queen of the Harpies.

But in a nice way (?)

By wisper on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 04:31 am:

The guys i live with call me Queen of the Harpies, in loud british accents, usually around rent time. I'm too used to it

By Hal on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

Digital Camera, Lots O' space with some flash cards...

Clothes, lots of clothes...

Chocolate, which I think I'm beginning to grow less fond of as I grow up.

By semillama on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 10:11 pm:

I just got back from visiting Mavis, who has a lovely lovely house and I'm totally jealous. If only there were archaeology jobs in Duluth...(she pays about half as much for mortgage as I do for rent).

Anyway, I gave her the new Griffin and Sabine book and she gave me a nice blue sweater, a face carved from wood ( I think I am going to start collecting faces that you hang on the wall) and some home made soap, plus, a bottle of Watra (pronounced Wa-Tra):

For Sarah (from the "WHo's in the Kitchen with Mavis" Cookbook):

(combine) berries, whatever you can muster ( i think that blueberries and raspberries are great)
    some sugar
    a little water

Simmer until sugar dissolves but not too much.

Strain.

Mix with a fifth of middle-of-the-road vodka.

pour into bottle.

make a nice label by cutting out letters froma magazine, ransom note style.

put up on shelf for as long as you can stand it, maybe a couple months?

By Daniel ssss on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 12:20 am:

Hey Sem you can do a similar thing with vodka, instant coffee, and vanilla bean, and voila! kaulua type flavor. Made it for christmas gifts one year, put it in Mason canning jars like my granddaddy used to bottle his hootch.

What GZriffin and Sabine book? I like em all; they're really not about relationships or correspondence...they're about the creative process, about art. The Museum volume is pretty interesting.

By Daniel ssss the forgetful on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 12:29 am:

Forgot the stuff, probably posted elsewhere. Best gift was having my boys show up at 0220 am Christmas morning, crashing on the couches, and feeding them breakfast. What I wanted.

Other presents: Also rec'd (finally) the Annotated Lolita, two stained glass tiffany lamps, the Cabin book from Taunton Press, an original acrylic oil 24 x 36 from my younger son, furlined Kamnik (sp) shitkickers for my winter walks in the woods, three books on celtic stuff, an Indonesian sun-moon-star frame with small mirror inset, and a gilt edged dream journal.

But I think I posted all this elsewhere...? Oh and I bought myself a new front door (leaded glass half light neato fiberglass) with a fullview storm door, etched glass surround, and a new garage door for the barn/garage/workshop...that is getting installed tomorrow. I'll be playing with the remote all weekend.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact