I made it !!!!!! (this far)

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: I made it !!!!!! (this far)
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Ophelia on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 11:57 am:

hah, i done it. high school's over. i graduate this sunday. Y'alls can be cynical if ya like, but i've made it through a lot of pain. of course, there's been some good stuff along the way too. i'll miss some people like crazy. but there were days when i was gonna give up, and i didn't. so for me this is a celebration that i've made it this far, and i'm gonna live to see the next part of life.

By patrick on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 12:54 pm:

don't you feel absolutely tremendous? Congrats.

By Ophelia on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 01:33 pm:

aye, i do, and thankya.

By agatha on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 06:34 pm:

congratulations, ophelia, and welcome to the next phase of your hopefully long and productive life.

By eri on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 08:47 pm:

Welcome to the next phase, whatever that may be for you. Wish me luck on joining in. I just found a lead on a part-time job that would be willing to work around Hayley's summer school schedule. Here's hoping it works out. Here's hoping that you achieve your dreams. Here's an empty wine glass I need to refill.

By Platypus on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 11:42 pm:

welcome to the big bad world.

By V on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 11:43 pm:

BRITISH marines returning from an operation deep in the Afghan mountains spoke last night of an alarming new threat - being propositioned by swarms of gay local farmers.

An Arbroath marine, James Fletcher, said: "They were more terrifying than the al-Qaeda. One bloke who had painted toenails was offering to paint ours. They go about hand in hand, mincing around the village."

While the marines failed to find any al-Qaeda during the seven-day Operation Condor, they were propositioned by dozens of men in villages the troops were ordered to search.

"We were pretty shocked," Marine Fletcher said. "We discovered from the Afghan soldiers we had with us that a lot of men in this country have the same philosophy as ancient Greeks: 'a woman for babies, a man for pleasure'."

Originally, the marines had sent patrols into several villages in the mountains near the town of Khost, hoping to catch up with al-Qaeda suspects who last week fought a four-hour gun battle with soldiers of the Australian SAS. The hardened troops, their faces covered in camouflage cream and weight down with weapons, radios and ammunition, were confronted with Afghans wanting to stroke their hair.

"It was hell," said Corporal Paul Richard, 20. "Every village we went into we got a group of men wearing make-up coming up, stroking our hair and cheeks and making kissing noises."

At one stage, troops were invited into a house and asked to dance. Citing the need to keep momentum in their search and destroy mission, the marines made their excuses and left. "They put some music on and ask us to dance. I told them where to go," said Cpl Richard. "Some of the guys turned tail and fled. It was hideous."

The Afghan hill tribes live in some of the most isolated communities in the country. "I think a lot of the problem is that they don't have the women around a lot," said another marine, Vaz Pickles. "We only saw about two women in the whole six days. It was all very disconcerting."

A second problem the British found came minutes after the first helicopter touched down at one of the hilltop firebases, when local farmers appeared demanding compensation for goats they claimed had been blown off the mountains by the rotor blades. "Every time we landed a Chinook near a village, we got some irate bloke running up to us saying his goat has just got blown off the mountain ridge by the helicopter - and then he demanded a hundred dollars compensation," said Major Phil Joyce, commander of Whisky Company, one of four companies deployed.

As patrols moved away from the landing zones, the locals began pestering Afghan troops attached to the marines with ever more outrageous compensation demands - topping off at a demand from one village elder for $500 (£300) for damage to a tree by the downdraft from helicopters.

But the marines were under orders to win the "hearts and minds" of local farmers in what is one of the few remaining Taleban bastions. "I managed to barter him down to two marine pens, a pencil and a rubber," Major Joyce said. "He went away quite happy ."

By Ophelia on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 03:35 pm:

is this supposed to mean something?

good luck eri. hope the job is good.

By eri on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:02 pm:

Thank you Ophelia, and I hope you are able to accomplish whatever it is you want to do in life!

By spunky on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:30 pm:

"The hardened troops, their faces covered in camouflage cream and weight down with weapons, radios and ammunition, were confronted with Afghans wanting to stroke their hair. "

Not sure what that had to do with Ophelia (Is that your real name?)graduating and entering the real world, but found it pretty damn funny

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

Congrats Ophelia!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact