Read this

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Read this
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 03:43 pm:

A charming young fellow I know wrote this, and -- seeing how quiet we have been lately -- I submit it for your reading pleasure.

And it came to pass that a client said unto SyphiliticDonkeyRaping Systems, "Lo, we are in grave need of an e-commerce website; build it for us, and we will gift you with many shekels, well, some shekels at least."

But when the programmers beheld the functional spec, they were sore afraid, and they said, "How can we do this? For we are as yet but a brochureware house, putting out pictures of kitchen utensils and kinky underwear, and we know naught of e-commerce."

So those who ruled SyphiliticDonkeyRaping Systems said unto their minions, "Go ye from hence even unto the place that is called Oxford JobCentre, and bring back a coder who can do this site. And ye shall know this coder by these signs; he shall be wise in the ways of database design, he shall be skilled in the black arts of Microsoft that men call COM+, and, above all, he shall be in dire need of a job and willing to work for cheap."

And thus it was that the one called Steve came unto SyphiliticDonkeyRaping Systems.

And Steve spake unto the programmers, saying things like "bleurgh" and "ughh" and "where's my coffee?", for it was as yet but the dawn of the morning, and Steve was not a morning person.

But they brought him coffee, whereupon he was refreshed, and spake again unto the programmers, saying:

"O ye that have wisdom, hear me, and hearken unto my words."

"Follow ye the ways of the coding standards, lest your work be confounded with errors."

"Let your code be full of comments, that it may be understood by those who come after, even unto the third generation."

"Name ye your variables, even according to the Lesczynski-Reddick naming conventions, that their meaning be not obscured."

"And attempt ye not any grievous hack, even one that ye know works. For in the fullness of time shall the development environment change, and what works now may not then, and thus may all such hacks fall into confusion."

And for a time the programmers heeded the wise words of Steve, and they prospered. And they built a website for the client, and the client looked on it and saw that it was good.

But then the programmers turned aside from the commandments of Steve, and they forgot to pay him, and they set a crazed Australian in authority over him, that his woes might be without number.

And it came to pass, in the time that is called Routine System Maintenance and Upgrades, that one programmer spake privily unto another, saying:

"Wherefore do we follow the coding standards and the commandments of Steve? For lo, I have here a hack, that will get these pages working in no time. Shall we not use this hack, and get our work done quicker?"

And the other programmer concurred. And they did implement their hack, and did straightway go off to play Unreal Tournament.

Now, it came to pass that the website prospered greatly, and the client did win an award for it. And the programmers heard of the award, and they spake honeyed words of it unto the recruitment agencies. And so the programmers pissed off; yea, even unto better-paid jobs did they piss off. And Steve was left alone, and he laboured mightily.

And the client now spake unto SyphiliticDonkeyRaping Systems, saying:

"Behold, this our website prospereth greatly, and the traffic upon it exceedeth the capacity of the server. Therefore let it be rebuilt, and let it be placed upon a faster machine, and let it be implemented under Win2K and IIS 5.0, that it may be fleet as the deer in the meadows."

(At which Steve said privily unto himself, "Whom thinkest thou that thou art kidding?")

And so a new machine came to the website, and Win2K also, and IIS 5.0 came with it, and upon its face were many security patches.

And IIS 5.0 beheld the hack, that the programmers had wrought, and it spake, saying:

"Nay, nay, and thrice nay!" (For IIS 5.0 speaketh in a voice like unto Frankie Howerd in Up Pompeii. Deal with it.) "This thy hack is loathsome in my sight, and thereby shall your website be confounded! For it is a dreadful
    sight - haha! Sight? Site? Get it? Oh, please yourselves..."

Whereat the client and his cohorts rent their garments and beat their breasts. (Personally, I buy my garments and beat my --- but that's another story.) And they cried unto Steve for succour.

And Steve opened the page files, and beheld the hack, and said -- well, we won't go into what he said, it wasn't very nice. But he sighed, and told the client that he would fix it, whereupon the client grew calm and said, "We want it done yesterday," as is the way of clients.

Now, when he looked upon the code, Steve realised that the programmers had been twice foolish. For they had forgotten his wise words concerning hacks, which was one foolish thing, but they had remembered his wise words concerning comments, which, in these circumstances, was another foolish thing. For Steve looked upon their initials and their spelling mistakes, and thereby knew at once exactly who it was who had wrought the hack.

And Steve said unto himself, "Lo, although these two are gone from SyphiliticDonkeyRaping Systems, yet may I come upon them, in the town or in the fields."

"And when I do, I will kick their worthless arses from here to Bettws-y-fucking-Coed."

Vengeance is mine, sayeth Steve, I will repay.

Maybe I should follow form and submit all my coworker grumblings in biblical speech. At least I would be entertained.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 06:12 pm:

I love all the versions of this I have seen.

By Spider on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 08:28 am:

What do you mean by versions? Steve posted it to a message board, so maybe it's been circulated like that? I know he wrote it.

By Nate on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

naw, steve ripped it off.

By Spider on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

Prove it.

By Nate on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:33 pm:

i don't think the burden of proof is on me, missy.

By The Watcher on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

Steve may have had an original idea with the story.

But, so have a lot of people.

I've seen several different versions in the last twenty years.

By Spider on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

Yes, it is -- you're the one making the accusation.

By Spider on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

Watcher - you mean angry messages in biblical language? I grant you that.

By Nate on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

i think you're the one who's claiming this is an original.

By spunky on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:08 pm:

Nate, please don't argue with spider. I just don't think I could handle it.

By spunky on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:09 pm:

PS, I enjoyed it.

By Spider on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

Nate, I'm not the one who wrote it, so I don't have any first drafts in sealed and dated envelopes at my disposal or anything. You're just yanking my chain, anyway, aren't you?

Thanks, trace. I enjoyed it too, especially the bit about the crazed Australian.

By Nate on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 06:34 pm:

of course i'm yanking your chain.

By Take a guess on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 02:07 pm:

I sent it to a couple of people I thought would enjoy it.

One didn't.

The boss said it was in appropriate. Even after hours. PC is such a problem.

The world has lost its sence of humor.

By heather on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

from the spelling i would guess- watcher?

By The Watcher on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

heather,

How did you like Spiders story?

By heather on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 08:41 pm:

i liked it fine

i thought steve should get a spine

and there is certainly a hint of 'heard this somewhere before' about it. but who cares.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact