THE New York Humane Society

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: THE New York Humane Society
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Susan in Astoria on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

By Claire on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 01:44 pm:

Honey...the staff has recognized that some cats are shy and should be one-houshold pets while others are gregarious and prefer the company of other cats.
    You have to love their descriptions of the adoptees' other features...

Your big next door cat (used to be Wizard/Lion One)

By Kalli on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 02:02 pm:

ok so i have an issue.

i just adopted two kittens from a rescue in town. they arent related, but they were in the kennel together and were unseperable. anyway, one of them feels the need to pee around the house. normally on piles of clothes. anyone know a way to break them of this?

By Kazoointoit on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

This may sound silly but my friend's cat started peeing on her bed suddenly and she found a book on Cat psychology which told her what to do. I can't remember what it's called, but you could probably find it on Amazon. She said it really helped.

My old roommate's diabetic cat, Pinky, would go through phases of peeing on piles of clothing. I'm not sure how she broke him of it. He wouldn't pee on piles of clothes in the laundry room because the litter boxes were there. I got a lock for my room. I used to lock my boyfriend in there some mornings, completely oblivious of what I was doing. I know that has nothing to do with your problem; I just think it's funny.

By Nate on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

don't leave piles of clothes around, you slob.

there's a couple of reasons why a kitten would do this. if you rescued them they are probably fixed? it is probably insufficient attention or some kind of bladder infection type deal.

By Kalli on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

ive got tiny closests and i dont like folding. shush up.

they are fixed....and i do give them lots of attention...but it could be an adjusting to being in a home versus a cage thing...im kinda figuring that we're all just getting used to eachother. he really is a sweet cat and he looks a little bit like a roswell alien too...

By spunky on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 10:58 pm:

We have a cat. (Well, three cats, but we will leave the other two alone for now).
    This cat we inherited in October when Eri lost her grandmother.
    His name is Punkin. He was spayed at a young age (6 months?). Bob Barker would be proud.
    He started humping his brother on top of the tv all the time.
    Well, anyway, we got him and moved here. He has mellowed out a lot. He even lets the kids pet him now. I think he is about 13 years old.
    He now licks the hell out of Eri's friend Jeff when he comes by. He (Punkin)goes absolutley apeshit ....
    Well, my brother came in from Nebraska this morning. Punkin proceded to lick the shit out of his legs, then finished up by taking a "love bite" out of his foot...

Anyways, I find it funny

By eri on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 11:35 pm:

We have 3 cats. At first they peed on any pile of clothes we had (I was not good at getting the laundry caught up back then). In fact, if we ever left so much as a bath towel on the floor they would pee on it. The floor underneath the clothes was marked by them.

I found two things that have worked for me.

1. regular distilled vinegar, on the carpet, mixed half and half with water. Let it soak in and dry. If there are any marked spots this makes the smell of the mark go away for them.

This has worked for me all but one time. The one time it didn't work I just dumped some super concentrated Oxy Clean on the carpet and let it soak in and dry.

We don't have that problem now.

I hope that helps.

To finish Spunky's story....Punkin loved to try to have sex with my mothers cat Tommy whenever he came to visit. He was a mean old man who didn't like kids at all, hated anyone under the age of 30. He is 14 now. We inherited him in October, when my Grandmother passed away. About a month ago he just became this different cat. He gets off on licking my friend Jeff, but he lets the kids pet him and hug him and all that shit. He's quiet and nice and mild mannered. He is no longer demanding, he doesn't bite any more. He hasn't marked the carpet once since we got him. He has just finally found his place in our crazy family. Now Muffin (who he used to torment to tears) beats him up regularly and I have to get after her for being a bitch.

By Czarina on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 05:12 am:

Most store bought cat foods have very high levels of ash/magnesium in them. This causes a bladder dysfunction,in cats. The vet has some paste that you give them that clears it up,and then switch to a different brand of kitty food.

This is a quite frequent problem in kittys.

By kazoointoit on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:11 am:

Those stories are funny. My boyfriend's cat is a licker and it's hilarious. As soon as you go to pet him, his eyes light up and he gets all excited and goes crazy with the tongue. He's also an insomniac. His other cat, the little one, will take the farthest corner of the bed at night to sleep while the big one runs around and at various points in the evening and very early morning will crawl into my arms and lick my face.

Yeah, that cat...nearly turned this dog person around completely.

By patrick on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 07:24 pm:

our isabella did this for a while. we just started paying more attention to keeping the box clean.

further, when she woudl get caught, we would immediately scoldd her, take her to the cat box and put her in. We did this even when she didnt have to pee.

I think sometimes cats arent exactly happy sharing the same toilet. Cats are notoriously modest no?

Needless to say she doesnt pee on clothes anymore.

In fact she meows a particular meow of disgust if the box needs looking after.

By Kalliope on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:16 am:

yea. i think its a matter of me adjusting to
    having two cats instead of just sappho...who
    was a unique one all her own. im thinking
    maybe if i can put another cat box
    somewhere....maybe thatd help the situation.
    and i really do need to get the laundry
    situation under control too. i juct cant keep up.

anyone wanna be my housemaid?

hubba hubba.

By Ms kitty on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:20 am:

Why do cats pee on piles of clothes, anyway? I have now had 2 different cats at different times who have peed all over piles of dirty clothes. I have an idea that they love us and miss us when we are at work and then they happen upon a big pile of clothes that smells like us, but it's not, so they decide to mark it for their territory. Little shits!

By TBone on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:20 am:

My cat just sleeps in my clothes piles. Especially the clean ones.

By V.v. on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:00 pm:

Ms.Kitty...me, i love cats,enytime,enyplace,enyhow,me i just love them to bits,if i even say MEAW to some strange cat on my drive at 1.m.when i come in from work,if it wants to come in my house,most times i let them in ,and i give them some food,then i let them back out about 3.a.m.

By Lapis on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:05 pm:

That's beautiful.

By Antigone on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:23 pm:

Ya know, when I was a kid my mom would always say, "Clean up these clothes! The cat will pee all over them!"

Never happened.

(The cleaning or the peeing...)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact