sweet stepfathers and other happy things

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: sweet stepfathers and other happy things
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

To: "Elizabeth"
    Subject: How Ya Doing
    Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:11:41 -0400

Just checking in on you, if you can just send I am ok. That will make me feel better.
    Love Ya The other guy that misses you.

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

(this is supposed to be funny, and it is. Very. Trust me)

To: "Elizabeth"
    Subject: Hi Kids, got your TV yet
    Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:35:16 -0400

Ask Andy for the TV, try crying a little this should make him feel real bad. If this doesn't work get in one of those real bad MOODS you can be in. This should work cause you will scare the shit out of him. Well good luck.

Got the picture back of the one we took in the North End. I'll will send you one. Love Ya.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:31 pm:

He sounds like he loves you a lot. So did you tell him you're okay yet?? Don't make him worry!

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

Yeah I did. He knows me well, and knows that what happens is I get these e-mails and plan to call and then, for some reason I don't. I'm flaky like that. Then all of a sudden a week goes by and we haven't chatted.

He's one of the best things that ever happened to me. I don't know too many people who can say that.

By semillama on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 04:59 pm:

He's like a non-snide Hawkeye Pierce.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:20 pm:

boy i'd love to know what your MOODS are like! hee hee!

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:44 am:

not on this thread. this is my HAPPY thread. I got a card from Sem and a post-card from my best friend in Ireland today and there was NO JUNK MAIL!!!

I mean really, how often does that happen?

But anyway I can get cranky. Real cranky.

But not today.

By J on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:53 am:

How can you be unhappy with Sem in your life? Don't ever hurt him or you might have to beat me,we older weman know a good thing when we see it:) And Kazoo,Watcher sounds just like my husband,he really didn't mean to insult you,he's just blunt,but I'd rather hear some truth than bullshit.I like you,but I like Dani too,and I really liked Lucy,that to me is what this sorabji is so speacial, I don't want to be a lamb,I try to express my veiws and still keep the peace,but sometimes you can't and it makes me sad.

By semillama on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:34 am:

Hold on, j. Are you saying that Watcher's
    opinions on Kazoo's field of study/career path
    are the truth, and that her views are bullshit?
    I don't think you are, but it can be read that
    way.

By Dani on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:42 am:

Thank you J.
    I like you also.
    Your great.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:47 am:

Dammit J that fucking hurt. I know you didn't mean it that way, but you really struck a nerve.

Believe it or not, I haven't taken anything on this site too personally. Sometimes people don't realize how insulting their opinions are, and I try to point that out from time to time, however, I get over it.

I can toss around and take a few insults. I left that thread yesterday, and that conversation with Watcher because I was BORED and TIRED. When I start feeling like I'm saying the same things over and over again, and also reading the same stuff over and over again, that is when I stop and sometimes I let people know that.

I really don't know what you mean about not being able to express my views. That makes no sense. And when did I ever say I was unhappy? I'm very happy right now. Yes, I'm having some trouble adjusting to being in school and away from Sem and Shannon and my family. But isn't that normal?

I started this thread because I got that e-mail from my stepfather and I wanted to share it. And I hadn't slept all night and couldn't think of anything intelligent to say and so I felt like being a little corny and making myself a happy space.

Isn't THAT what this place is all about?

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:49 am:

thanks Dani

By spunky on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:51 am:

I always thought this place was about expressing your views and opinions, then getting ripped for them....
    Whips, cages and long, sharp, penetrating objects are in frequent use around here.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:51 am:

oh wait, you meant J.

heh...oh well...well, you're keeping with the HAPPY theme

thank you for that!

By Spider on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:53 am:

Kazoo, I think J meant "you" in the sense of "one," not you personally.

My happiness has diminished since my brain decided to die. Or maybe it's just gone to sleep. I hope my little sleeping brain cells wake up soon. I don't like being dumb. :(

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:15 am:

Spider, You are probably right. Sem said that too.

J, I LIKE YOU TOO.

it just struck a few nerves...that's all.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:31 am:

and also J,

I did realize what you meant about wanting people to be truthful in what they say. I mean, we'd have nothing to talk about otherwise.

How much fun with that be?

By Dani on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:43 am:

I thought the e-mail from your Step Dad was very sweet and it appears that he cares for you a great deal.
    You wanting to share your affection towards him and his towards you shows that your proud of having him in your life and in my opinion, thats a beautiful thing.

I would have given anything for any of my Step Dads to be so caring.
    Your very lucky.

I like HAPPY themes and thank you for sharing them here.

By patrick on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:46 am:

did someone turn on the Lifetime Channel??

The feel good thread of the year?

*bleaackkkk!*

Happiness...i had my first dream about my little bambino the other night.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:49 am:

Nah, more like the Hallmark channel.

The Lifetime Channel is all about stalkers and rapists and videotaping Angie Harmon in her house.

hmmm...baby dreams...how sweet

By spunky on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:53 am:

Lifetime is the Evil Man Movie channel.
    Or is that WE or maybe Oxygen?

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

Spunky,

What's WE?

By spunky on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:12 pm:

By J on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

Kazoo,it was nothing personal,I LIKE YOU TOO it's just that I was tanked as usual and was thinking of the conversation I had with my husband last night I was talking about a friend of mine and mentioned that her daughter was in San Fransico studying film and the first thing he said was what kind of job is she going to get with that? And that's just how he thinks even though he majored in political science and his degree has nothing to do with his job either,he started out at the bottom of the barrel,I think they actually hired him cause he was skinny and could crawl through concrete pipes,later as he moved up his degree might have helped but just by the fact that he had one:) Just the fact that your in school and studying something you enjoy is a good thing,I only took three semesters of college and the first semester I listened to my mother and took typeing and buisness machines and I just didn't see me sitting in a office and I didn't cut the mustard,then I took what I was intersted in and made except for one B (that should have been an A) made straight A's so believe me sister I hear you. Like I know my husband if he thought about it wouldn't have said when my mother was in the nurseing home "Oh I know why there are more women than men here,woman live longer" and I was like no shit Sherlock can you just keep that to yourself?

By kazoo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:38 pm:

J, I love your posts. That was terrific.

My bestfriend is in film school in Ireland. She just moved into her place and she's living with three Irish guys, a Swede, and a German girl who complains a lot (just like Shannon does).

Can you say, The Real World: Dublin?

Anyway, this postcard I got from her yesterday is awesome because it's a beautiful picture from the Dingle Penninsula and there are like 200 hundred sheep walking up the road. She knew I'd like it because she remembered a Dave Barry quote I loved about Ireland being a small island that is slowly being consumed by sheep.

By J on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

I'd love to go to Ireland,my in-laws went there,but if I ever did go I'd probably get picked up for stalking Elvis Costello.How cool to be learning something you love in another country.

By kazoo on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 11:51 am:

sorry, but this is too cute not to share. I got a present. My parents went apple picking and sent me some apples. My stepfather packed them. He used a box that must have had wine glasses or something. Then he wrapped each apple individually, first in a paper towel and then in bubble wrap.

well, I thought it was cute...and yes, indicative of exactly how anal-retentive he is.

By Dani on Tuesday, October 8, 2002 - 03:32 am:

I think it's very nice that they sent you apples.

When I was growing up in N.J., we used to go to Warwick, NY and go to Oxe Orchard and pick bags and bags of apples.

It's one of the very few fond memories of my childhood.
    Damn, I used to love them apples.

By kazu on Sunday, March 7, 2004 - 01:12 pm:

I just got an e-mail from my stepfather:

To: Elizabeth
    Subject: Something I put together for your Dad
    Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:32:47 -0500

He has done I lot for us.
    Love Ya, the great and powerful :-)

attached was this

By Water Sports on Sunday, March 7, 2004 - 11:24 pm:

wow,this is like stills from the movie "night of the liveing dead"

By Kool for Kids on Sunday, March 7, 2004 - 11:39 pm:

"Add to cart"?

By Spider on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 12:25 am:

Wait, Kazu, did your stepfather make that for your father? That is amazing. What an incredibly sweet man.

Aw. I think I love him, and I don't even know him.

By kazu on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 12:39 am:

yeah, he's swell.

By sarah on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 11:03 am:

that's quite amazing. there's a person who definitely has a lot of love in his heart.

my mom's second husband and i were able to make peace with one another a year or two ago. he was my step dad from the time i was 7 to 20 or 21 years old. i pretty much hated him and was both relieved and angry when my mom divorced him. relieved because i always wanted him to go away, but angry because she waited until i was an adult to do it.

i look back now and i realize most of the reasons why he and i didn't get along. but that was then. i'm an adult now. we've all gone through so much since then. he was never a bad person, just a terrible parent.

his daughter was, is, and always will be my sister. we've known each other since we were 5, lived together all those years, and she's one of my best friends. her family was my family for all those years. i sort of abandoned all of my families when i ran away from michigan after college. i kept in touch with none of them for 9 years. it wasn't until i moved back to austin that i realized that they still were my family even though my mother wasn't married to my step dad anymore. i also reunited with my dad's side of the family, and my mom's side, even though that one didn't last very long.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact