Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Monty Python on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun
    every year.

How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.

Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.

Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.

Ever notice that the people who are late are often much jollier than the
    people who have to wait for them?

Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to
    one person.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
    dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
    exist very nicely in the same box.

By Bigkev on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 04:59 pm:

Its a good day to be a Calgarian. the sun is out the snow is gone and the prospect of summer just fills my heart with.... (uh, maybe one of the resident poets can help here) .... Spring has sprung and i couldn't be happier. Although its always crappy when your igloo melts before you have your lean-to built. ( Im safe though, i invested in a teepee a couple of years back)

seriously tho... (i like winter) but i really love summer, i cant wait...

By eri on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

It got up to 79 today and sunny all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid to upper 80's with sunshine all day long.

If I don't have to babysit tomorrow, hell maybe even if I am babysitting, I will probably go to the pool.

I would like some time, just me and Micki in the pool where I can help get her over her new fear of being in the water when she can't touch bottom.

Hell, after the fight she got into yesterday, I just want some quality one on one time with her. I am so upset about how she was treated yesterday that all I want to do is be with my baby and make sure she knows that what she was told was wrong and that she is a wonderful kid and I love her.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

"Hell, after the fight she got into yesterday"

did she kick some ass?

sorry, I have a permenant picture of Micki with shit-kicking kiddie boots and an attitude to match.

What happened?

By eri on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:17 pm:

OK Kazoo, you asked for it :)

I babysit a 5 year old girl during the day. We'll call her L for now.

Mental picture, Micki 3 yrs old and 23 lbs. L~5 years old (last week)and 50 something lbs.

L has always had an attitude problem. Her parents are not disciplinarians at all and at 3 years old she had total run of the house. She is rude and selfish. She yells at me if she doesn't like the noises that my cooking in the kitchen is making and has complained about every single item of food I have placed in front of her. Funny thing is that I serve the same things as her mom. Whatever.

Anyways, L broght over some toys and refused to share them with Micki. She was hiding them at the front entry way. I told her to move the toys and move herself, that way she wouldn't get hit if the door opened. She went back to Micki's room to color in coloring books (they usually get along when they are coloring together).

I went into the kitchen to clean up the lunch dishes and put them in the dishwasher, wipe down the counters, etc. I was in the kitchen 10 minutes. I heard a screech and then silence. A minute later I heard it again. Then Micki came into the kitchen crying that Logan hit her.

Then L came in crying with her face all red and swollen below her right eye.

I called L's dad and he refused to answer the phone (yes he was home at the time). I went in to get the kids ready to GO OVER THERE and the room was trashed. Everything was thrown off of the shelves, and boxes were smashed. Completely torn apart. I dig through the mess and get l's shoes and socks on and take them back to the house.

I explained what had happened and he asked both girls some questions about what lead up to their fight. Everything made sense. L was being a little bitch to Micki grabbing things out of her hand and refusing to give them back (these were Micki's things). Micki didn't know how to deal with it and got tired of asking and got frustrated (as 3 year olds do) and slapped her upside the face and L took her fist upside Micki's head.

He started yelling at Micki telling her that she is always hitting and no matter what L does to her doesn't give her the right to hit L. Tells me that Micki has a problem hitting all of the time whenever she is at their house. This has never been mentioned to me before. I get Micki and leave.

As soon as we get home, Micki passes out. I struggled to keep her awake for 4 hours. If you have any experience with preemie babies, then you know that a minor injury can cause them to pass out and then stop breathing. It can happen until they are 5-8 years old. This is the main reason why they make parents take cpr classes, so that if this happens they can resuscitate the baby. This is what happened to Micki Tuesday.

So I am pissed off about this whole thing. Yes, it was wrong for Micki to hit, but she was provoked, so I understand why. She was also punished for hitting. No, I did not hit her back. I am pissed off that this guy is calling my daughter the problem child of the neighborhood and talking about how horrible she is. I am pissed off that L's parents won't back me up when it comes to her behavior so that we don't have these situations to begin with.

Kazoo, your mental picture was close. Micki is a fighter in nature. She wouldn't be alive is she wasn't. She had to fight to live. Too bad I can't have you over to show you the scary pictures of when she was in the hospital so that you can understand what I mean. She wasn't wearing shit kicker boots, but she was wearing glitter snow boots!!!

As I started typing this L's mom called. Apparently Hayley went over to her house and knocked on her door and started talking shit about how pissed off I am at them because L hurt Micki. She didn't understand and called me. She was really upset. I explained to her about Micki having a minor concussion and that I was upset that they were both hitting and they both got hurt. Her boyfriend got on the phone and started demanding medical proof of Micki's concussion and being a dick in general. Trace got on the phone and he started lecturing Trace about how Micki is a problem because we teach her to hit and we are all just lying about her concussion (he's going to pharmacy school so he knows we couldn't possibly know anything about concussions). Trace finally got so pissed off that he hung up the phone and called the girls in from the grass only to find that they were inside L's place and that L's dad was coming over here. He and spunky were yelling at each other. I was trying to be the voice of reason, though neither of them would listen. The men were about to get physical. L's mom came over and would listen to me, so therefore L's dad started to listen. I explained about how preemies and how their bodies react to certain injuries different than normal kids and how it works and what training we had before we brought her home from the hospital and she finally understood. I explained to her that I told the kids that I was upset about what happened and that they both were hitting and they both got hurt and that I would expect her to be uspet too because her daughter was hit and hurt as well. L's dad left. She was fine and thanked me for not telling her boyfriend that I hadn't been paid yet so he wouldn't beat her up later.

All I can say about this whole thing is that Micki doesn't hit unprovoked and if L has a black eye, tough shit. I am actually proud of Micki for standing up for herself even though she went the wrong way about it. I am trying to teach her that violence is not how you solve problems, but this isn't a lesson learned overnight, especially not Micki with her being such a strong willed personality. She has fought her whole life to try to be like other kids to be physically, and mentally normal and it was a big challenge for the first two years. I don't want to break her spirit. That is what makes her who she is.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

She did kick some ass!

damn. poor Micki. The passing out thing...I'd heard of that, but don't know of anyone who has to deal with it. Four hours? That's scary stuff. As a non-parent, with a soft spot in my heart for the smaller kids (camp counseling/lifeguarding), i'm happy that she stood up for herself and secretly please that she smacked her but of course, I live a few hundred miles away so it's ok. It sounds like L had it coming. Micki and I would get along nicely. I like to color in coloring books too. I have about 15 and oodles of colored pencils.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

"She was fine and thanked me for not telling her boyfriend that I hadn't been paid yet so he wouldn't beat her up later."

trace, take care of that little problem, would ya?

i must live on an entirely different planet. i like my planet much more.

By eri on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:39 pm:

It's a totally fucked up situation there. She has been a stripper for 13 years and wants out of the business. He is 40 something and going to school and refuses to work. She is scared of him. He controls what she eats, makes her keep the house white glove clean every day, what she wears, where she goes, what she drinks. They have been together for 8 years and he hasn't proposed no matter how much she wants him to. It hasn't been confirmed that he beats her, but do you really need to see the actual bruises? She is a nice person overall and has a good heart, but damn, she needs to leave him and won't.

Anyways, to me what it boils down to is that everyone has their breaking point and Micki reached hers. L has had this coming for a long damned time and I am sure this is shocking because it was the first time she ever got hit by anyone. I can't be too mad at Micki though, because I know how the other kids treat her because she is a year and a half younger or because she is smaller and it pisses me off, so I can only imagine her frustration.

I know lots of girls that fought a lot in school and shit like that and they seemed like perfectly nice normal people. It seemed odd to me. I guess Micki kinda has that personality. My goal is to teach her that violence is not the answer, but for some reason I am proud of her for standing up for herself like this and I am really not mad at her at all for hitting L.

Is that wrong? That I am proud of her and not mad that she got a good one in too?

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:43 pm:

Can I visit your planet dave.?

It's all good Eri, you should be proud of Micki for not taking L's shit. She's young still but as long as long as you encourage the "standing up for herself" part and not the violent part, she'll be fine and then when she's older you can tell her how you "really" felt :)

As far as your neighbor, that is some fucked up shit but it sounds typical of that kind of thing. I don't know what dave. has in mind, but it seems when it gets to that level...things just get worse when other people get involved. Does she confide in you? I recently found out that my aunt literally had to "sneak out" when she and my cousins left her husband/their father. I also found out the reason my mother told me never to be alone with him.

By patrick on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:31 am:

i was gonna say.

im on planet similar to daves....thats messed up.

By eri on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:32 am:

She confides a lot in me but some things are still a no discussion zone. Especially when she gets off work early and feels like celebrating. When she drinks she doesn't hold back as much. The only thing she hasn't confirmed is whether or not he is physically hurting her.

She has absolutely no self esteem. When she dropped L off today (my last day babysitting) she apologized like mad about last night and how this whole thing has gotten out of control. Said that the reason she didn't call me last night was because he wouldn't leave and cancelled his plans to stay home and watch her.

The drama of neighbors. But at least I will get a small sanity break at the end of next month, and summer is coming up, so J (my other friend who is a school teacher) will be around with his kid to play most of the summer. I look forward to that change.

BTW, sorry about changing the topic of the thread.

By Spider on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:32 am:

"She is scared of him. He controls what she eats, makes her keep the house white glove clean every day, what she wears, where she goes, what she drinks. They have been together for 8 years and he hasn't proposed no matter how much she wants him to."

Why...would...she...want...him...to?

Oh, my head hurts.

By eri on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:37 am:

She has invested 8 years of her life to him and he had taken her out of a very abusive home, so he is looked at as her savior for removing her from the physical/sexual abuse of before. She has given him a child, and done everything he wanted so she wants something in return, not realizing how unhealthy this whole thing is. It's all fucked up. I don't think she even realizes how wrong this is, cuz it is so much better than it was before.

By dave. on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:47 pm:

kazoo, you and everyone else are welcome on davoid. be warned, entropy is accelerated here. things fail a lot. disorder has the advantage. things frequently get out of hand but nobody's allowed to beat you up. except yourself.

if you like cleaning, this place is for you.

By trace on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

sounds like home to me..

except the cleaning shit

By kazoo on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:07 pm:

Sweet. I don't like cleaning, but I seem to thrive on clutter and disorganization.

By eri on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:24 pm:

I live to clean and take care of little rug rats. Sucks to be me sometimes!!!!

I hate cleaning but after a while at home you get so bored you don't know what else to do!!!

By Kim on Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - 06:49 pm:

hi my name is kim

By Antigone on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 11:50 am:

Sheeeeeit, I ain't fallin' fer that.

By sarah on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 03:19 pm:

biggy kimmy is 17 years old. that's how old i thought nate was when he first posted.

By Agent D on Saturday, March 6, 2004 - 01:21 pm:

You know, being happiness is how you achieve in your life,but one must understand on how he/she done anything before they die. In your life, it is a one way from the beginning to the end,there is no going back such as rewinding.You can do anything in your life except the laws. Thank you.

By heather on Saturday, March 6, 2004 - 06:04 pm:

yes, thank you.

over at the end of it life can and was good maybe but when you break and furniture it won't. when a child is young or born and people look for soup, there's a solution. yay! mailman is here!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact