total recall

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: total recall
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

"My vision is to make the most diverse state on earth, and we have people from every planet on the earth in this state. We have the sons and daughters of every, of people from every planet, of every country on earth,"
    -gray davis

By spunky on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

I knew it!
    His plan wasn't to give Drivers License to illegal Mexican IAliens, it was to give Driver's Licenses to illegal Venusian Aliens!
    when are his people landing to take him home?

By patrick on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

"i believe gay marriage should be between a man and a woman"

ahhhhhnold

By TBone on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

Har!

By spunky on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

"There will be more recalls in California -- the proponents have already promised that," Davis said. "There will be a recall in retaliation because the Democrats have promised that."

Funny, I thought the recall action was a right of the PEOPLE, no the politicians.....

The numbers alone show this is not a partisan attack, Gray.

By semillama on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

Well, the democrats have the same right to initiate a recall as the Republicans did with the current one, and if enough people sign on to it, then how is that any different than the current one?

It will interesting to see what the Republicans do if Davis is ousted but replaced with Bustamente (mante?)

By patrick on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

"Funny, I thought the recall action was a right of the PEOPLE, no the politicians.....

The numbers alone show this is not a partisan attack, Gray."

wrong.

its a "right" of the people. It doesnt mean it was created by the people.

It was created by republicans who had the money to pay for signature gatherers to go out, present a statement to people in wal mart and grocery store parking lots and ask them to sign a petition. the statement tonality ranged. they never came right out and said, "hi, im a republican gathering signatures to have gray davis recalled". they would yet say something like "we are collecting signatures to protest Davis's handling of the energy scandal". Who wouldn't sign that right?

Its all wording and presentation and with the right wording you can get anyone to sign anything.
    I have a personal policy, regardless of the subject, to never sign anything propositioned to me in a fucking parking lot. You never know what the hell you are really signing.

As of recently, as many as 52% of CA voters are leery of the recall. They arent sure if they would be in fact creating more problems than solving, and its a very legitimate point.

And the more this continues, the more my optimism in an alternative, like Arianna Huffington wanes.

She's not getting the word out.

So, you know, despite my contempt for Davis, I may just vote no on the recall.

Can you imagine this kind of electoral shit going on in states year in year out? what a fucking nightmare/

By Nate on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

i'm telling you, georgy russell is the way to go.

the problem with the recall petition is the turnout for the election that elected davis was so low. the signatures required to get the recall on the ballot is a percentage of the turnout of that election. so they didn't really need all that many signatures (relatively speaking.)

it certainly isn't representative of the will of the people.

By semillama on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

You know, I would be really interested to know what the actual "will of the people" is.

I mean, you can't go and look it up somewhere.

It probably has something to do with ice cream, though.

By Antigone on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

"the problem with the recall petition is the turnout for the election that elected davis was so low."

That, I believe, is the root of most political problems we're having today. I wish it was mandatory to vote (given there was a "none of the above" option on all ballots) with a mandatory holiday for election days. That way you could never say "That election did not express the will of the people."

By Nate on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:53 pm:

i think aristocracy is a better bet, tiggy.

think of a mandatory vote weighted with a baby-boom of apathetic 18-22 year olds.

hell, why not just hook the voting system up with the neilson ratings and produce public policy based on what people are watching on tv.

that's probably not far from our current reality.

or have so that all the candidates start off running the government, and at regular intervals the people of america 'vote off' the candidates they don't think are up to snuff.

By semillama on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

I was thinking of something more along the lines of 'The Running Man' - heck, you could use it now in CA, except that Ahnuld has an unfair advantage as he was in the movie and knows all the tricks.

I wonder who else from that movie and 'The Predator' will run for governor somewhere?

By TBone on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

I think you're right about the will of the people.
    A couple nights ago, my girlfriend says I was talking in my sleep. It was primarily a long, incomprehensible string of syllibles, but at the very end, I said "Ice Cream, Ice Cream" and then fell silent.
    As if she doesn't already have enough reason to laugh at me.

By Antigone on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

"i think aristocracy is a better bet, tiggy."

You mean a better bet of what will happen?

Shit, we're already there. I was just daydreaming..

By kazu on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

Tbone, you should ask sem about some of the weird-ass things I've said in my sleep.

By Antigone on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

I sleptwalked to the downstairs couch a couple of nights ago.

By TBone on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

Let's hear it, sem!

By wisper on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:05 pm:

Patrick and Nate, funny as it is, i'm sorry that all this crazy shit is happening in your state.
    It's entertaining to watch, but in the end you guys still have to live there!

I'm sad for Cali.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:27 am:

When racial intigration is complete,and there is no more genetic diversity,then mankind is at an end because we can no longer adapt or mutate to suit new challenges.

By wisper on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

guh?
    what does racial intigration have to do with adaptation?
    Every living thing is always changing and evolving, what do you mean?

By V.v. on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

you miss my point,with less of a gene pool there is less chance of adaption.If world gets hot,the blacks survive,if the world gets cold,the whites survive.If the air gets thin,the people of Nepal survive,if larger brains are needed the Chinese have the largest.Intigrated,we become a compromise.,then the only back up we have is technolgy,and if that is not up to the job,we become extinct.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

Further,although we may still evolve,we cant change fast enough for climatic changes,it caught out the dinosours and it will probably catch us out.I give the Human race 1000 years at most.As for a PLANET OF THE APES the major Apes will be extinct within 10 to 20 years.The Africans regard them as a source of food.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

Wisper,as for evolving are You or I any better than Plato? If you take technoligy out of the question,how far have we advanced in 3000 years?Sorabji is a forum,the Romans had a forum 2000 years ago,have we advanced one iota?

By spunky on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

But technology is part of evolution.
    It's a natural part of evolution, and we can now, more then ever, sort of control that evolution.
    That is not a pro or con argument of human modification through science, just a fact.

By heather on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:14 pm:

what a lot of retarded words.

gah.

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

Bah. Darwinian evolution as we understand it stopped cold when we became self-aware. Technology isn't a part of evolution, nor are we 'controlling' it. Technology is how we avoid the whole survival-of-the-fittest deal.
    If the world gets hot, those with air conditioning survive. If the world gets cold, those with heaters survive. Survival of the richest.

By TBone on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

...and what heather said, too.
    "Hey, baby. Wanna kill all humans?"
    --Bender

By wisper on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:42 pm:

"You or I any better than Plato? ...how far have we advanced in 3000 years?"

that's because 3000 years is nothing. No time at all. And we could be taller now. Tiny things like that.

but what heather said.
    and what Bender said.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:51 pm:

Spunky,Heather,TBone,Wisper....If only all four of you could go fowards in time 1000 years,then you would see what i allready see,wastelands,desert,the last remains of Humanity fighting for water,because all it takes is one major breakdown of our infrastructure,and we die,it will happen.So convince me otherwise.

By V.v. on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

We all have a Mad Max future ahead of us.

By Lapis on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 08:08 pm:

We don't live in a biological world anymore, we live in a cultural world. That's how we survive.

Sad isn't it? We don't know how to survive in nature anymore.

By J on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:10 am:

We are taller.

By J on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:55 am:

Am I the official thread killer or what?

By Nate on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 04:09 am:

Do you want to be the official thread killer?

By spunky on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:13 am:

hey, that's my job!

By Hal on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:41 am:

uh Hey fuck both of you asses...

Thats my fucking job.

By semillama on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

"Bah. Darwinian evolution as we understand it stopped cold when we became self-aware. Technology isn't a part of evolution, nor are we 'controlling' it. Technology is how we avoid the whole survival-of-the-fittest deal. "

wrong. Evolution hasn't stopped at all. Species are constantly changing. The idea that humans have stopped evolving is, I believe, one of the greatest myths we tell ourselves to reinforce our idea that we aren't animals. All living creatures evolve or perish according to environmental factors. While we tend to focus on the catastrophic events, species come into existence and die out all the time.

Humans are a very adaptable species, thanks to our large brains and use of technology. Humans (in the form of Homo erectus) spread out of Africa over a million and a half years ago, and made it into Europe and as far as China and Indonesia, using a pretty limited toolkit. Homo sapiens, of course, made it even farther. But recall that as a distinct species, we've only been around for a blink of an eye, maybe 200,000 years. In that time, we have evolved distinct traits according to the environment we live in. But these traits aren't the same everywhere, even if the environment is basically the same. For example, people in Africa in the tropics have dark brown skin, so dark white folks saw it as "black". But in the same types of environments in the Americas, people never got that dark. Another good example is the adaptation to mountain environments and the thin air. In the Himalayas, the people there have evolved a larger lung capacity, whereas in the Andes, people have evolved to breath faster (this might be the other way around, I am typing from memory). Two different coping mechanisms, same species.

I have to go now, but my point is that you can't separate humans from their environment.

By kazu on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

Sherpa.

Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.Sherpa.

Sherpa.

By semillama on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

Being of Yeti ancestry, I know all about the sherpas and their little tricks.

By spunky on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

But the question I was trying to pose is this:
    Technology HAS helped shape our evolution, has it not?
    Did sailing ships not enable us to travel from continent to continent, allowing races to combine?
    Did the microscope not allow us to detect micro-organisms, viruses and bateria?
    Did we not figure out a way to stop botcholism with pasteurization?
    Did the telephone not enable us to spread the warning and the prevention of disasterous diseases?
    Did the micro computer not enable us to map the entire human genome?
    Have we not left the boundries of our own planet?
    Have we not harnessed the power of energy to protect ourselves?
    Technology is NOT the death of evolution, but just another step in the journey.
    Extinction, whether self inflicted or inflicted upon us by other sources is indeed a step, albeit the final step, in evolution. It is the end of the chain, but it is still part of it.

By semillama on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

You pretty much have it there, spunky. Moreover, whereas there is some dispute about whether you can consider technology "Natural", it's not arguable that the use of technology by humans alters the environment in such a way that the ability of other species to survive is affected to a certain degree. For many, it's extinction because they were unable to adapt to the new conditions, and for others, like Nate's rat, they thrive in the new conditions. (I'm using the term "new conditions" to refer to the last 6,000 years or so, btw)

Now, some people use the above as an argument against trying to mitigate the effects of human society upon different environments. I don't agree with that, because as humans, we do have the unique ability to not only exterminate species but to save them, and perhaps enough people will come the idea that wild spaces are extremely important and valuable in and of themselves, regardless of any sort of monetary value to certain aspects of the whole. It's happening in certain places in Africa and Central America, and it's essentially the motivation behind the National Park system in America.

By Hal on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:30 am:

Sherpa !!!

That word is almost as fun as Squirrel.

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:08 am:

Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel. Squirrel.

By dayv. on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:17 am:

skwerl

By Lapis on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:37 am:

By semillama on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

Speaking of the recall and animals, i urge everyone of you californians to join the Guns and Dope Party and finally get a state where the government is as weird as it SHOULD be to function properly.

Plus, I don't see where you can go wrong with God speaking to you through an ostrich in an Orson Welles movie.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

I have seen the light.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

Of course in my case that usualy means it's a freight train coming at me.

By V.v. on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

Hal,get back to me,whats your opinion of HAPPY TREE FRIENDS?its a web site thats regarded as too violent for English schoolkids,and its allready been rated as xxx by the English Schools and Parents.Its a bit like South Park,but a lot more blood and guts.

By Platypus on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:45 pm:

Holy crap.

By Hal on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:09 pm:

You know... T thats rather odd, because apparently they sell "Happy Tree Friend" stuff at Hot Topic, I use to work there and I don't remember anything like that.

Although, I am a happy tree friend, it just has nothing to do with that. Being a happy tree friend to me means your a fan of Bob Ross The Happy Tree man himself.

By spunky on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:40 am:

I'll be back

I was going to put this under image o' the day, but thought this thread more appropriate.

By Lapis on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

Hals link,NOT FOUND.Spunkys link,NOT FOUND.Lapis link O.K.......IS BILL GATES MESSING WITH OUR HEADS?HE SHURE WILL ON THE TENTH OF NEXT MONTH WHEN HE SHUTS DOWN THOUSANDS OF CHAT ROOMS.THERE ARE SOME WORDS YOU CAN NO LONGER WRITE, LIKE P.E.R.V.E.R.T.,EVEN ON SORABJI,I PUT THAT WORD IN TONIGHT AND GOT SHUT DOWN IN 2 SECONDS,WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON?I PUT THE DOTS IN TO TRY TO AVOID ANOTHER SHUT DOWN,AND I HOPE THIS NOTE GETS POSTED AS A WARNING.GOD BLESS.[I HOPE THIS IS JUST A ONE OFF GLITCH]

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:17 pm:

So,i got posted,thats good but i still think he,s out to get us.

By Lapis on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:20 pm:

Maybe it just means I'm smarter for once.

By V.v. on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:33 pm:

Your ALLWAYS smart,im starting to wonder if your really a White Witch.You can be quite awesome in a nice kinda way.

By Lapis on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:45 pm:

That'll just have to be something for you to figure out.

By .v.v. on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:26 pm:

I RECON YOU ARE,CUZ NO ONE CAN BE AS SHARP AS YOU AND NOT BE A WHITE WITCH.

By Lapis on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:29 pm:

There are sharper people than me and I'm sure some of them are not white witches.

I don't think witches are neccessarily smarter than anyone else.

By patrick on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

back to the recall.

did anyone hear or watch the debates last night?

By semillama on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

no. I caught breif snippets on the news. Anything interesting besides Huffington and Schwarzenegger sparring? The whole thing struck me as ripe for a SNL parody, especially with their accents. Foreign accents=humor in their book, it seems.

By patrick on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:21 pm:

It was actually really good.

They did make a lot headway on the issues.

Huffington and Green canidate Cammejo know they arent going to win and are using this as a means to push their agenda. Neither would get this much opportunity in the regular election cycle. Thats a good thing.

Bustamante came off as a smug and arrogant motherfucker. Arianna took as many shots at his as she did Arnold. Good for her.

What is so amazing, is that anyone who heard the debates can say to themselves "You know, I think I'm going to vote for Arnold". Its insane. He's an idiot. He had the same answer for every question.

I think all the canidates, rightfully so, took aim at Arnold to expose him for the nincompoop he is. He was an easy target to knock off because anything outside his prepared, memorized answers he came off bumbling.

McClintock came off as the most professional. He's a straight shooter and he's not going to quit. As much as I can't stand his social policies, his economic stances are worthy. If the republicans in CA had any brains they would encourage him to stop talking about anti-choice and focus on fiscal matters and convince Arnold to back out and support him. Otherwise the Republicans are going to implode and run the risk of giving us Bustamante.

By spunky on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

The republicans are, sadly, trying to push mclintock to quit so arnold can win.
    They are afraid if he does not quit, Bustemante will win.

By spunky on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

The republicans are, sadly, trying to push mclintock to quit so arnold can win.
    They are afraid if he does not quit, Bustemante will win.

By patrick on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

The Republicans are idiots in CA.

They were idiots 2 years ago when the propelled that idiot Simon to the forefront instead of the moderate Dick Riordan. Dick would have won. He could have easily beat Davis.

By spunky on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

Here is something funny I ran across today, it lampoons EVERYONE.

"Dah!" Arnold Schwarzenegger yelled as he picked up his desk and snapped it in two.

"You have to calm down," President Bush told him, "You have to expect these kind of attacks from evil people like Gray Davis."

"Woman have boobies and I like to touch them!" Arnold shouted, "Why is that wrong?"

"Hey, I don't make the laws," Bush said defensively, but then thought for a moment. "Well, I do sign them."

"And I no like Hitler!" Arnold said angrily, "Nazis are puny! I crush them! I am Ah-nuld!"

"We all know that; I wouldn't worry about it."

"By the way, thank you for coming to support me, President Bush person," Arnold stated more calmly, "You are very wise."

"Well thanks," Bush answered, "but I actually came down here to visit Disneyland." Bush's hands shot up into the air. "Pirates of the Caribbean!"

On T.V. was Cruz Bustamante giving a press conference. "It is disturbing to me that Arnold gropes women while praising Hitler," Bustamante told the press, trying to look serious and concerned.

"Dah!" Arnold screamed, crushing the T.V. with his fists. "I will kill that fat bald man! I will kill Davis too. They are puny! I will crush them! I am Ah-nuld!"

"Hey, the election is tomorrow," Bush told Arnold, "I'll tell you the same thing I told Rumsfeld: Wait until the polls close to go on a murderous rampage."

"You are a smart politician," Arnold said, "but I must go by what I know, and that is the solution to all problems is bloody vengeance!"

"I myself would never grope women," Bustamante continued, "Why, even now, I make sure to get written permission before touching my wife. Also, I never praise Hitler on a daily basis."

A large figure in a black leather jacket and wearing sunglasses appeared before the podium. "Are you Cruz Bustamante?" he asked in a low voice.

"Uh... yes."

"You will be terminated!" Arnold shouted, grabbing Bustamante and lifting him into the air. "See brick wall over there? He your new friend. You go meet him up close and personal." Arnold then through Bustamante so hard that we became embedded into the brick wall.

"Arnold killed Cruz Bustamante!" shouted a reporter.

Arnold turned to stare into a camera. "You are next, Davis!"

"He's after us!" Gray Davis's aide exclaimed as he watched the T.V.

"Bah!" Davis yelled, "We will hit him with so many allegations that he will be paralyzed! No one can stop me from finishing my incompetent term as governor! No one!"

"But putting out allegations that he supports Hitler!" the aide exclaimed, "That's so extreme it's almost a self parody!"

"I say come up with even worse allegation!" Davis yelled, "Where are my loyal trolls from the Los Angeles Times?"

The slimy trolls emerged. "We are here to serve the Democratic Party, master."

"Put out a story that an unnamed source witnessed Arnold having gay sex with Satan."

"Certainly, master."

"Wait, I have an even better one," Davis said, "Allege that part of his bodybuilding routine was to make an energy shake by putting a puppy in a blender."

"That's so evil and ridiculous no one will believe it!" the aide shouted.

"Silence!" Davis screamed, "Flying monkeys take him away!"

"Noooooo!" the aide yelled as he was dragged off by the winged monkeys.

"We will go print your allegations, master," the trolls said as they left the office.

Davis then laughed evilly to himself until he was interrupted by the voice of his security officer over the intercom. "We're being assaulted by Arnold Schwarzenegger wielding a minigun!"

"That means a really small gun, right?" Davis asked.

The only response was the sound of automatic gunfire. Soon his door was kicked in and there stood Arnold. He tossed his minigun aside and said, "Instead of Gray Davis, you will now be known as ‘Black & Blue’ Davis!"

"Ha!" Davis answered, "Everyone always underestimates me, but I'll show you!" Davis then charged Arnold and threw a punch at him. It landed with no effect.

"Dah!" Arnold shouted as he punched Davis, sending flying backwards and smashing it apart. "You are puny, Davis! I crush you! I am Ah-nuld!" He approached the wounded Davis. "You said you wanted a debate? Well now you will get to debate St. Peter on whether you are allowed through the pearly gates."

Davis held up a remote control. "If I can't be the incompetent governor of California, no one can! Muh ha ha ha!"

As Davis hit the button, Arnold jumped out of the window, plunging three stories as the governor's mansion exploded behind him.

Bush, wearing a Goofy hat, quickly ran over to help Arnold off the ground. "So is Davis really gone for good?" Bush asked.

Arnold looked to the rubble of the governor's mansion. "We will know for certain soon. I am Ah-nuld!"

TO BE CONTINUED TOMORROW AT A CALIFORNIA POLLING PLACE NEAR YOU!

Hey, California, cheer up! Tomorrow it is over, well, maybe.....

Anyway, we still have 13 months before the 2004 National Elections, so get buckled up, the ride has just begun!

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:31 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day. THat was the perfect picture of him to use too.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 04:31 pm:

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

dammit, when am I going to learn?
    Hey nate, i warn you if the stuff i post is not work suitable..........................

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

I always hover over it with the mouse and see what the status bar says the link address is. Usually I can tell if it's safe. Usually it isn't.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

i know better then that, really, and have no one to be upset with other then myself, really........

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:27 pm:

whats that guy doin nate?

are they taking instruction?

watching the price is right?

d00d!

they're siblings!!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

that rules!

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

it looks like he's fiddling for the latch that you find under car hoods when you go to open them.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

speaking of hoods.

a friend of ours admitted she recently cut her clit off while trying to trim up before a fuck. she was a bit tipsy at the time too.

the man in the boat has jumped ship.

they fucked afterwards and the next morning anyway.

how frickin bizzare is that?

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

That's as bizaare as they come. good lord.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:34 pm:

gzus

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

Rowlf Cut/Paste News Network update:

http://herndon1.sdrdc.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?P00003392

I think this is real... go to the FEC.GOV mainpage and do a search on campaign finances, etc... and it takes you to this page. according to them, Hillary has registered as a candidate.

If so, I hereby for any and all terrible and mean political tactics and smear campaigns to keep this from moving forward...

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:52 pm:

my knees get weak thinking of it.

jesus.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know you don't bring some sharp and made of metal near your junk when you're drunk.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

she's going to be on the daily show tomorrow. maybe she's making an announcement.

i can't imagine she would run. in this political climate, she's be such a ralley point for the right.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:56 pm:

hey guys, that just meanst she was "drafted".
    She had not filed, yet.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

"NOTE:
    Candidate listings may appear here as a result of Draft committees or independent expenditure committees
    registering with the FEC. If no documents appear below, the individual identified here has taken no action
    to become a candidate."

No documents appear on that page, but they do on
    Dean's and Kerry's

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

uh.

"If no documents appear below, the individual identified here has taken no action
    to become a candidate."

no documents appear below, dudes.

what was i saying about reading comprehension?

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

i should rather say 'didnt read at all'... I saw the first part, turned away, and barfed all over this thread.

still, could be a prelude to something else... i'll have to take a looksee and see who else has been 'drafted'.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

i dunno. i didnt even look at it the document dudes.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

i mean really nate, you've raised the bar (or perhaps lowered) on which links I click on and which ones I don't.

when you're linking rockin incest porn pics....government documents about that lezzy Hilary Clinton pale in comparison, ya know?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

this is a great shot of that tattoo on the small of her back. nice 'tribal' work there.

more than the tats, i find most impressive her doing the splits on his jimmy. i give her an 8.0!

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:00 pm:

now aint that a bitch

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

I got this when I hit the link Patty put up. (not work friendly)

Thanks Nate, i love the emphasis

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

drama queen

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:40 pm:

thats actually not the link i had intended, or rather the pornbot meatspace server did some weird switcharoo on me.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:45 pm:

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:50 pm:

see? pornbot meatspace server got you too.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 08:18 pm:

fuckin pornbot meatspace server.

if you right click the link and choose 'copy shortcut' or whathaveyou and paste it in your URL locator thinger it will work.

i mean, i guess.

whatever. i am so anti-pr0n.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 08:22 pm:

I'm totally stoked for election coverage tonight.

Its like Christmas eve.

And everyones getting coal.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 08:50 pm:

check out the meat curtains on that one lass.

which reminds me nate, i have a little gem for you.

it will blow you away. where are you at again?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 08:56 pm:

fuck it, i gotta split. check your 'spanky' hotmail account.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 09:26 pm:

Early afternoon exit polls:

57% yes on recall.

47% for the Termnator
    34% for Bustamove
    12% for McClintock

ooh mother, i can feel the soil falling over my head.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 09:27 am:

Nate, why didnt you vote for that girl, she was young, and um... nice?

By spunky on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 09:04 pm:

Hey, what about Condie vs Hillary in 08?

Imagine it.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 09:27 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 09:31 pm:

why bother, rowlf?

i can't compete in this system.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 11:39 pm:

i'unno... if she saw she got x amount of votes she might feel it was worthwhile and be inspired to do something else political in the future...

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 12:54 am:

bah. she should be lucky to see she got x amount of my cock buried in her cornhole.

i can't sleep the night in the surf. it is too cold, too turbulent, and i'd probably drown if i happened to actually drift off towards slumber.

if i did sleep in the surf, i'd save a lot of money on rent.

but, i'm still not going to go try to sleep in the surf.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 01:37 am:

You should surf your sleep and see where that takes you.

LS

By semillama on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 10:16 am:

Try sleeping in the Smurfs.

By sarah on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 06:51 pm:

stop slurfing around.

By spunky on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:30 am:

By semillama on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

Why is that "excellent"? What is their method for determining electoral college votes at this time? What is their margin of error?

By Rowlf on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:19 pm:

and why did they put the Dems in red and the Reps in blue? Is he color blind?

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:06 am:

"By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 09:26 pm:
    Early afternoon exit polls:

57% yes on recall.

47% for the Termnator
    34% for Bustamove
    12% for McClintock

ooh mother, i can feel the soil falling over my head."

Was that soil or fire?

You cannot help but notice.
    The Gubinator is elected and california starts burning.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

"Burn, Hollywood, Burn! I feel a riot comin' on, first they're guilty now they're gone..."

By Midnight Oil on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

Out where the river broke
    The bloodwood and the desert oak
    Holden wrecks and boiling diesels
    Steam in forty five degrees

The time has come
    To say fair's fair
    To pay the rent
    To pay our share
    The time has come
    A fact's a fact
    It belongs to them
    Let's give it back

How can we dance when our earth is turning

How do we sleep when our beds are burning

Four wheels scare the cockatoos
    From kintore east to yuendemu
    The western desert lives and breathes
    In forty five degrees

The time has come
    A fact's a fact
    It belongs to us all
    Let's give it back

By eri on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

I have always loved that song..........

I dunno, the idea of there being a correlation between the Gubernator being elected into office and the fires is worth exploring. Haven't had a good conspiracy theory in my cave in a while.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

gayest song EVER

By Yo Mamma on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

You would think that

By Spider on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

I don't know..."It's Raining Men" has to rank up there.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 03:26 pm:

I was thinking the very same thing.

plus of course "YMCA" and essentially the entire Cure catalog.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

I think "Free bird" by the beatles also qualifies for that category

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:17 pm:

Freebird or Blackbird?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

Skynnard "freebird"

Beatles "free AS A bird"

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:36 pm:

ok.

Still gay though

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

like, when i said "gayest song EVER" i didnt necessarily mean GAY as in HOMOSEXUAL.

jeeeze

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

ummmmmmmmmmmm

i

knew

that

By Spider on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

It's S K Y N Y R D, man.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

How do you know that we didn't mean that either?

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:42 pm:

How else would Mr Metro Male himself describe a song?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

fags

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

it's like when i used to listen to a lot of trance and techno and other electronica ravey crap and said, oh I hate that gay house stuff and people thought I meant gay in the junior high kind of way but I really meant that "homosexual" house crap because it sounded gay, like meaning that it sounded homosexual because there is a whole gay-man electronica sound.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:29 pm:

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

they evacuated the entire mountain in which lake arrowhead and big bear sit.

fuck. if that sucker crowns......

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

The Santa Ana," By Joan Didion

There is something uneasy in the Los Angeles air this afternoon, some unnatural stillness, some tension. What it means is that tonight a Santa Ana will begin to blow, a hot wind from the northeast whining down through the Cajon and San Gorgonio Passes, blowing up sand storms out along Route 66, drying the hills and the nerves to flash point. For a few days now we will see smoke back in the canyons, and hear sirens in the night. I have neither heard nor read that a Santa Ana is due, but I know it, and almost everyone I have seen today knows it too. We know it because we feel it. The baby frets. The maid sulks. I rekindle a waning argument with the telephone company, then cut my losses and lie down, given over to whatever it is in the air. To live with the Santa Ana is to accept, consciously or unconsciously, a deeply mechanistic view of human behavior.

I recall being told, when I first moved to Los Angeles and was living on an isolated beach, that the Indians would throw themselves into the sea when the bad wind blew. I could see why. The Pacific turned ominously glossy during a Santa Ana period, and one woke in the night troubled not only by the peacocks screaming in the olive trees but by the eerie absence of surf. The heat was surreal. The sky had a yellow cast, the kind of light sometimes called "earthquake weather." My only neighbor would not come out of her house for days, and there were no lights at night, and her husband roamed the place with a machete. One day he would tell me that he had heard a trespasser, the next a rattlesnake.

"On nights like that," Raymond Chandler once wrote about the Santa Ana, "every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen." That was the kind of wind it was. I did not know then that there was any basis for the effect it had on all of us, but it turns out to be another of those cases in which science bears out folk wisdom. The Santa Ana, which is named for one of the canyons it rushers through, is foehn wind, like the foehn of Austria and Switzerland and the hamsin of Israel. There are a number of persistent malevolent winds, perhaps the best know of which are the mistral of France and the Mediterranean sirocco, but a foehn wind has distinct characteristics: it occurs on the leeward slope of a mountain range and, although the air begins as a cold mass, it is warmed as it comes down the mountain and appears finally as a hot dry wind. Whenever and wherever foehn blows, doctors hear about headaches and nausea and allergies, about "nervousness," about "depression." In Los Angeles some teachers do not attempt to conduct formal classes during a Santa Ana, because the children become unmanageable. In Switzerland the suicide rate goes up during the foehn, and in the courts of some Swiss cantons the wind is considered a mitigating circumstance for crime. Surgeons are said to watch the wind, because blood does not clot normally during a foehn. A few years ago an Israeli physicist discovered that not only during such winds, but for the ten or twelve hours which precede them, the air carries an unusually high ratio of positive to negative ions. No one seems to know exactly why that should be; some talk about friction and others suggest solar disturbances. In any case the positive ions are there, and what an excess of positive ions does, in the simplest terms, is make people unhappy. One cannot get much more mechanistic than that.

Easterners commonly complain that there is no "weather" at all in Southern California, that the days and the seasons slip by relentlessly, numbingly bland. That is quite misleading. In fact the climate is characterized by infrequent but violent extremes: two periods of torrential subtropical rains which continue for weeks and wash out the hills and send subdivisions sliding toward the sea; about twenty scattered days a year of the Santa Ana, which, with its incendiary dryness, invariably means fire. At the first prediction of a Santa Ana, the Forest Service flies men and equipment from northern California into the southern forests, and the Los Angeles Fire Department cancels its ordinary non-firefighting routines. The Santa Ana caused Malibu to burn as it did in 1956, and Bel Air in 1961, and Santa Barbara in 1964. In the winter of 1966-67 eleven men were killed fighting a Santa Ana fire that spread through the San Gabriel Mountains.

Just to watch the front-page news out of Los Angeles during a Santa Ana is to get very close to what it is about the place. The longest single Santa Ana period in recent years was in 1957, and it lasted not the usual three or four days but fourteen days, from November 21 until December 4. On the first day 25,000 acres of the San Gabriel Mountains were burning, with gusts reaching 100 miles an hour. In town, the wind reached Force 12, or hurricane force, on the Beaufort Scale; oil derricks were toppled and people ordered off the downtown streets to avoid injury from flying objects. On November 22 the fire in the San Gabriels was out of control. On November 24 six people were killed in automobile accidents, and by the end of the week the Los Angeles Times was keeping a box score of traffic deaths. On November 26 a prominent Pasadena attorney, depressed about money, shot and killed his wife, their two sons and himself. On November 27 a South Gate divorcée, twenty-two, was murdered and thrown from a moving car. On November 30 the San Gabriel fire was still out of control, and the wind in town was blowing eighty miles an hour. On the first day of December four people died violently, and on the third the wind began to break.

It is hard for people who have not lived in Los Angeles to realize how radically the Santa Ana figures in the local imagination. The city burning is Los Angeles's deepest image of itself. Nathaniel West perceived that, in The Day of the Locust, and at the time of the 1965 Watts riots what struck the imagination most indelibly were the fires. For days one could drive the Harbor Freeway and see the city on fire, just as we had always known it would be in the end. Los Angeles weather is the weather of catastrophe, of apocalypse, and, just as the reliably long and bitter winters of New England determine the way life is lived there, so the violence and the unpredictability of the Santa Ana affect the entire quality of life in Los Angeles, accentuate its impermanence, its unreliability. The winds shows us how close to the edge we are.

Excerpt from Slouching towards Bethlehem, © by Joan Didion.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

That was really striking.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact