Thanksgiving!

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Thanksgiving!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

Turkey, Trimmings, & Tradition at Our Home
    plus a special 50th birthday celebration for Annie

This is an invitation to one of the biggest all-day Thanksgiving celebrations ever. Let us cook you a mouth-watering dinner with all the trimmings in our lovely, warm, old-fashioned home. Plus a special celebration for the love of my life, my sole [sic - hee!] mate, friend. Games, movies, and good times.

Young Pennsylvania Tom turkey ~ Hors devours [sic] ~ Fresh pecan raisin pear goat cheese salad ~ Fresh squash soup ~ Sausage apple dressing ~ Fresh cranberry sauce ~ Gingersnap gravy ~ Caramelized sweet potato pudding ~ Harvest vegetables & long grain wild rice with cranberries ~ Cheddar cheese & buttermilk biscuits ~ Good ol' fashioned corn pudding ~ plus a special assortment of desserts: pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and a special birthday cake that is truly decadent (chocolate).

Thanksgiving is going to ROCK this year.

My uncle -- my gourmet cook uncle -- is throwing it at his and my aunt Annie's place.

*DROOL*

By Spider on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

Oh, and we're going to play games! Scrabble! Finally, after so long a wait, I get to beat my family's collective ass at Scrabble.

I crocheted my aunt a scarf for her birthday. It's so pretty, I wish I could scan a picture for you. I can't believe she'll be 50.

I can't wait until tomorrow!

By patrick on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

my parents are coming to town.

we're getting together at angry sams, but sans angry sam as he is in rome with this hot rich girl who felw him there for the holiday.

im in charge of veggies and im going with family favs such as broccoli casserole, green beans, blackeyed peas, baby green salad with toasted almonds and a cranberry/apple sauce that im making from scratch. me and eva have 8 lbs of apples to core and peel tonight. YAYYYY

By The Watcher on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 03:11 am:

Thanksgivings going to be traditional here. Just a little subdued.

By Lapis on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 05:34 am:

In a house in Boring, approximately 2 pm:
    Two (2) Commuting empty-nesters
    Two (2) Hawaiians
    Two (2) Cat
    One (1) LS (little sister, aka doppelganger)
    One (1) Grandmother (learning music at 88!)
    One (1) Policeman
    One (1) Fabric-dealing aunt

and me.

Which would make for an interesting story with the general cast of characters and still might be. With effort and the willingness to state unpopular opinions.

By eri on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

Thanksgiving here, ummmm, young turkey, green bean casserole, candied yams, mashed potatoes, broccoli rice dish, cranberry sauce, rolls, gravy, and good drinks. For dessert pumpkin pie and pecan pie (for Spunky's birthday).

It's just the four of us this year, which is odd. We usually had my Grandmother with us. As glad as I am that it is just our little family this year, it is also kinda lonely. Glad I don't have to deal with my mother, but sad that Grandma isn't here. Like something is missing. We invited a friend over but she made plans to go have Thanksgiving dinner with her brother.

Well, off to start the turkey.

By Nate on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

i'm going off to someone's house, some friends of my parents', this couple, my parents, me.

i remember the thanksgivings we used to have, with two sets of grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins. Diningroom table with the leaf in, with the kitchen table next to it, with the leaf in, with the card table at the end. the kitchen packed like a rush hour subway train all day long, people in and out and never completely in each other's way. my mom wrote a book of poetry and one of the poems is about this, called 'the kitchen dance.'

ugh. i have the urge to make a family.

By wisper on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

i think next year i'm going to find someone in the US who i can go have thanksgiving with.
    therefore- Thansgiving x2 !

sweet.

thanksgiving trades.

By agatha on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

You can come Thanksgiving with us, Wisper! Here's what we did this year:
    Made a plan with the friends that we always spend thanksgiving with to "wear" something that we wouldn't normally wear to Thanksgiving this year. I put heavy makeup with blue eyeshadow and black eyeliner on, and wore a pale yellow sweater set made out of pointelle cotton that my mom sent me for some reason. I also put gel in my hair. Not everybody played this game, but our friend James was wearing a beer can baseball hat with a plastic bag over it, and another guy whose name I forgot had a homemade military jacket with red white and blue sequins all over it that said USA on the back.

We were an hour late, which my friends did on purpose so that we would be on time. However, I told my sister not be late, so she was actually on time, which was actually early. It all worked out okay, though.

What we ate:
    1. appetizer: beer cheese with crackers (Dave and I)
    2. appetizer: hot mustard and cream cheese with crackers (me)
    3. appetizer: bloody mary's (Jen and James, host and hostess)
    4. appetizer: satsuma tangerines (Jen and I)
    5. turkey (Jen and James)
    6. stuffing, regular and veggie (J and J)
    7. vegan vegetable pot pie (me)
    8. green bean casserole (Dave)
    9. yam dish of love (Jen)
    10. mashed potatoes (Jen and James)
    11. spinach salad (my sister, Courtney)
    12. corn pudding (Courtney)
    13. wine (assorted people)
    14. dessert: apple pie (Jen)
    15. dessert: mixed nuts pie (Jeff, my sister's boyfriend)
    16. dessert: chocolate cream pie (Liz, Jen's sister)
    17. dessert: butter cookies (Courtney)
    18. dessert: fudge (Courtney)
    19. coffee (me)
    20. alcoholic beverage: something blended with frozen mango and vodka (Jeff)
    21. alcoholic beverage: mudslides (Jeff)

After dinner, we played this game three times, and my sister's boyfriend won all three times. We play for money, so he left feeling expansive with a little wad of cash in his pocket
    http://www.dicegames.com/l-c-r.html

Cleo spent a lot of time entertaining Jen and James's three year old son Jackson. Jackson is in love with Cleo.

After we left Jen and James, we brought some food to our friends Amy and Tony, who have an 8 day old baby named Henry. We met Henry, who is a strapping baby boy. He is already tracking faces.

Then we went home, and slept really really late.

the end

By patrick on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:38 pm:

thats funny, me nico and christ played this dice game that sam picked up in a Boston tavern for dollar bills after dinner too. that is, once we put my parents back in their hotel room.

we had so much food.

so much good food.

my eye balls pop thinking about how much i ate.

By Spider on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 11:07 pm:

We played no games yesterday, but tonight my dad and I went back over to my aunt and uncle's for leftovers, and we played Scrabble. Twice. I lost both times. :(

We had a really nice Thanksgiving. My brother invited his boss to the house, as his boss has no family in the area with which to feast. He was a nice guy, a master glassblower. Now that I think about it, most of our conversations were centered on him...heh, that's my nosy aunt for you. Anyway, a good time was had by all.

By Antigone on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 11:13 pm:

My grandmother was able to feed herself about half the time. And she's still alive. And, she was out of the fog for long enough once to crack a joke.

Reason enough to be cheerful. :)

By heather on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:39 am:

i stayed overnight at my sister's to get up and cook. i couldn't sleep and got a ripping cold.

i've had strep since sunday.

i cooked and blablah and it was good and hung out with my parents and my sister decided to be mean and the day decided to be over.

my friends called and came and rescued me and we all had dinner again [well, i had pie] and they are lovely and comforting and like 18 of us had a great time. they reminded me that i couldn't choose my family but i could choose them and it was trite but it worked.

today my mom told me that whatever the problem is with my sister it must be her problem [not something i'm doing] and they don't really understand it. i don't either.

i have cooked: a dry turkey, nifty stuffing, 2 pies, roasted vegetables and bread. i am done with the cooking for a while.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 10:31 am:

From the moment I met Sem's brother, Mike, I knew my step-father would want to adopt him. Jim wants him to move to Boston, stay with them until he finds an apartment (which my brother will get for him) and fix him up with my friend Becky. They can play golf together.

The families got along just fine and. My mother flipped out about dinner and had to call my aunt over to fix the free-range turkey to get it to make drippings. There was the turkey with gravy and some kind of sausage stuffing, squash, asparagus, and cranberry sauce. I had a piece of grilled salmon rubbed with lemon and rosemary. For dessert we had apple pie, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie, which we could have with icecream or homemade whipped cream. There was also a cranberry and golden raisin coffee cake which we didn't even start eating until the next day.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 10:34 am:

oh, how could I forget. The fruit cup. We always start dinner with fruit cup and a scoop of raspberry sherbet. All fresh fruit too. I can't believe my aunts used to make it for like, 50 people.

By spunky on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

I found a song for vegans, I just need to find a way to get in out on the net

By spunky on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 01:13 pm:

By Dougie on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

I made turkey soup and had it last night -- I passed out for 2 hours on the couch after watching the Simpsons. I suppose it was the triptophan (sp?), and then of course, I couldn't get to sleep when I went to bed. We had my wife's 12 year old niece the whole weekend, so we had to entertain her -- lots of Xbox games, kid's movie rentals (although she tried to get us to rent 28 Days Later for her -- she insisted her mother would let her watch it), and took her to see the Xmas lights at Jones Beach, and to the Coney Island aquarium, and she adores our dog -- wore the poor critter out. It was a fun 4 days. Oh, and we went to the puppy store -- they had THE most adorable 9 week old boxer puppy for $1200, I was about to get him, but thought better about it. We already have 2 cats and a dog.

By Dougie on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

Has anybody ever had goose? Does it taste much like duck? I'm trying to think of something different to make for Christmas, and a goose with chestnuts or something sounds good.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

Did you know that geese form couples and remain with the same partner throughout their lives?

I've never eaten goose but it's very fatty. And yeah, goose is often served stuffed with chestnuts and served with apples or sauerkraut. That's like, a classic way of serving it in Europe, or so my lil' book here says.

By the way, I was thinking about you the other day Dougie. I felt like we hadn't heard from you in a while. I haven't picked up those CD's you recommended, but I think I will put them on my Christmas list and I'll let you know what I think.

By hetaher on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

we had goose once, i think. it is greasy.

i would like to see a roasted ostrich.
    not eat it, just see it.

mm. pie. berry pie.

this morning was a bad morning for anxiety.
    gots ta get on the exercisin'.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

ostrich is good. I ate a bite of sem's once.

I stayed home from school today. I have a cold coming on. Normally, this would not keep me home, but I thought it would be better for me to stay in and treat it rather than risk being sick all week. That, and it made me oversleep and I didn't have time to prepare for my presentation. I thought I would make up for it by being productive here. So far that hasn't happened although I got some food shopping done and I bought vitamins and some new teas. Yum.

hope your anxieties calm, hetaher

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 05:01 pm:

I got a cold over the weekend. I can't breathe. Good thing I still have some Flonase at home.

Anxiety fucking sucks. I hope you feel better, heather.

By heather on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 05:35 pm:

aw thanks

:)

By Dougie on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

Thanks Kazu. Yes, I figured it would be greasy just like duck, but that's what makes duck so good. Maybe I'll try to get a fresh one from the butcher -- we did that with the Thanksgiving turkey and it was awesome. It seems so Dickensian to have goose for Christmas, n'est-ce pas? Re not hearing from me lately, I'm kind of out of practice here. I lurk occasionally, but since I don't check here as often, I don't get the same continuity with the threads and people I used to have when I'd check in every 15 minutes. I've been meaning to post more since I really miss this place. Let me know how you like the CDs. Re early christmas presents -- I bought myself the Bose Wave Radio/CD today for which I'm pretty psyched. I should get it within a week or so.

By sarah on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

i had one of the best thanksgivings in the last ten years.

as usual, i got up and did the 5-mile Turkey Trot run, benefitting the homeless.

afterward, believe it or not, i was invited to kevin's parent's house in wimberly. his mother, jean, and i liked each other the instant we met so many years ago back when she and kevin's father were living in ft. wayne, indiana. and we've stayed friends through everything.

so it was me, kevin, kevin's brother ryan, kevin's sister katie, jean, kevin's dad richard, their cousin jody and her six year old son leo, kevin's roommate jeff, and me. everybody brought something to contribute to supper.

richard - roasted 1 turkey, grilled a second turkey, grilled some mahi mahi for katie
    jean - sweet potatoes, turkey gravy, white wine
    kevin - waldorf salad**
    ryan - steamed asaragus with hollindaise sauce
    katie - pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and apple pie
    jodi - seed bread from whole foods
    jeff - corn bread stuffing
    me - tossed salad, homemade cranberry sauce***, pear and dried cherry cobbler, organic red wine
    indie (kevin's dog) - incessant barking
    emilie (jean's poodle) - silent begging
    clover (katie's cat) - sleeping, napping, yawning

everything was delicious, especially the cornbread stuffing and pecan pie. i actually didn't eat a whole lot of food at dinner, didn't take seconds of anything, ate only a small breakfast, but felt unreasonably full the whole day. very strange.

jean and richard took us for a drive around wimberly in his 8-seater ford bronco. it's such a quaint, lovely town - looks as if it was plucked right out of the late 1800's.

when we returned to the house, we all ended up hanging out in jean and richard's enormous bedroom for some reason, just talking and hanging out.

then dave called and i left around 9 p.m. he was supposed to go to pittsburgh for the holiday but was so sick with the flu he had to cancel his trip. i spent most of the week at his apartment taking care of him. the rest of the time i did a bunch of nothing in between getting ready for xmas.

as it turns out, kevin's got a new girlfriend named megan. when i confided in jeff (who drove with me to wimberly) about dave, he told me in confidence about kevin's new girl. so now kevin and i are both seeing other people, but neither of us has the guts to tell each other. what a trip, eh?

dave was fine w/ me spending thanksgiving with kevin's family.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact