Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 04:50 pm:

By Spider on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 06:21 pm:

What the hell was that?

By kazu on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 06:29 pm:

By TBone on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 06:35 pm:

Har!

Oh lordy.

By Spider on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 07:19 pm:

Oohhhhh, man. Ninjas and lasers and gold.

By wisper on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 07:25 pm:

Spider- that's live action roll playing.
    Get dressed up like an elf and hit each other with nerf swords.

By semillama on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 11:26 am:

Holy god.

now I will have "footy footy footy footy footy England England" going through my head for the REST OF MY LIFE.

By Sye on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

oF oF oF footy footy footy oF oF oF

oF=my crappy music note

Oh crap.
    It's already started.

By sarah on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 05:15 pm:

lightning bolt! hah! i seriously cannot believe people really do that.

oh, and i loved the map of england.

By Lis on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

I put on my wizard robe!

By Lapis on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 05:50 pm:

I'm a bigger fan of Kenya. Especially the live action version.

By wisper on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 09:21 pm:

can you believe i used to fuck (let alone date for 2 years) a guy who was into that live role playing shit?
    He's go at least 4 times a summer.
    I'm ashamed beyond all reasonable description.
    As soon as the file started playing i felt all cold inside.

I pretended like it was no big deal, hey, i've got my intrests that are pretty lame too....until one day (towards the end, thank god) he mentioned that his group was making him in charge of promotion.

"PROMOTION?!" I said, "Like making posters and advertising?"
    Yeah, he said.
    "How the hell do you adviertise that thing? Hey! Are you a fully grown man that would like to spend your weekends dressed as a half wolf/half human elf god? Do you enjoy beating up on other losers with nerf weapons? Does sitting down at a table to play D&D just not do it for you anymore? Then for 48 glorious hours, you will not be mocked!"

he hung up on me. That truly was the beginning of the end.

He had a photo album of past meets he had gone to. Oh, to get my hands on that thing now....

*shudder*

By sarah on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 10:45 pm:

oh my god. it must have been really weird - nearly perverse actually - to date a role play gamer. that trips me out. but i have to admit that i find it oddly soothing to know that even someone as cool as you dated someone like that. for 2 years. did you ever mention that here before? surely you must have.

By moonit on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 04:50 am:

I dont think she has. Cause I am pissing myself laughing right now. (Sorry Wisper).

hehehehe.

By TBone on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 01:39 pm:

It just stuns me that people would do that and want people to watch them do it.

I need to get a handful of nerf darts and randomly throw them at people. Lightning Bolt!

By Spider on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 02:01 pm:

See, I can understand wanting to play dress-up and play-act with your friends. I (and I would imagine most kids) used to do that as a child. But I don't know if it's the advanced age of the participants, or the rigid rules of D&D, that make live-action role play so unbelievably dorky.

When I went to Bath, in England, I saw a man at a cafe dressed in 19-century period clothing. He was in a grey tailed suit, with a cravat and a grey top hat, and he was sitting by himself smoking a thin cigar. Now, see, that's playing dress-up, and yet it's not dorky. (Well, who knows what else the guy did.)

I'm just rambling now.

By TBone on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 02:33 pm:

The SCA makes so much more sense for people who want to dress up and play battle. Live-action D&D doesn't make any sense. Where's the dice rolling?

By kazu on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 02:34 pm:

Well, there's cute dorky and then there's oh-my-god-I-can't-even-look-at-you-because-you-give-me-such-a-bad-case-of-gayface dorky.

That guy in the cafe sounds more like cute dorky.

By Lapis on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 02:40 pm:

Dressing up like pirates and going to an art show:
    cute dorky.

Magic: The Gathering with sound effects:
    gayface dorky.

Doing a 15 minute monologue about the merits of Risk 2210 AD over traditional Risk:
    I am such a geek.

Geebas on Parade.

By Gee on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 03:07 pm:

I don't think Magic with sound effects is overly dorky. I don't play, but if I did, I could imagian myself making little bombing noises and cackling laughter when the mood struck me. If it were Required that I make sound effects, however, that would be completely too dorky.

I used to know a guy who does the occasional live role playing stuff. I find it tremendously nerdy, but the guy himself was a hot little number who could have had any girl in the library (which sounds worse than it is). Half the girls I know Still have crushes on him, and he hasn't lived in ontario in a couple of years.

maybe I'm not the best judge of what's overly-geeky and not; I'm excited about meeting the voice of an almost-Muppet.

I'M SO EXCITED!

By kazu on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

Do people do dress-up reenactments of wars and battles in books? are they as anal as civil war reenactments?

as in:

"ATTENTION: There will be NO elves allowed at the Geekfest County Helms Deep reenactment this Saturday. Gladden Fields Battle schedule TBA"

By semillama on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 03:20 pm:

I am playing Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and one time and one time only, this woman in the game walked by me and said "Seen any...Elves?? Ha ha ha.." and for the life of me I have no idea what it means.

Fantastic game, btw. Just absorbing, the amount of detail.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 03:25 pm:

I just imagine Tolkien reenactors getting all pissy because someone whose never read the book shows up dressed like an elf to the Helms Deep reenactment. The friend who invited him along gets a bad bad bad case of gayface and denies knowing the guy who then gets slapped upside the head by a uruk-hai, "there were no elves at helms deep bitch."

By Gee on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 04:08 pm:

uh, Legolas was at Helm's Deep.

ohmygodican'tbelieveyoudidn'tknowthat.

By kazu on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 04:12 pm:

yes but obviously whoever gets to be legolas would have already been established and would have been dressed like legolas and not in the generic elf costume that my pretend loser is wearing so fuck you ;)

By semillama on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 04:17 pm:

I actually told Kazu when we say the movie there were no elves.

I said it with a an incredulous tone, "There weren't elves at Helms Deep!!"

And that was technically correct as Legolas was the sole elf there in the book.

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 04:20 pm:

Hmm, I thought this thread would be a congratulatory one for the TB Lightning. Patrick, did you see those games -- pretty darn good.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 05:53 pm:

All I know is that I'm glad the Canadian in our office took the week off. He's from Alberta.

I hope he didn't kill himself.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

"i find it oddly soothing to know that even someone as cool as you dated someone like that. for 2 years. did you ever mention that here before? surely you must have."

Oh deary, now I'm all blushing. How sweet of you.
    I assure you, I've done tons of dorky crap.

I don't think i ever mentioned THAT thing about him here (or IRL, to anyone, *EVER*) for, uhm, obvious reasons. I have mentioned him before though in general. A little.
    He did that in the summer and played Vampire:the Masquerade during the winter. Not the regular card and book Vampire RGP either, but LIVE as well, in some dirty goth club's basement. It was just as creepy as you can imagine.
    To this day, whenever i hear any terms used from that game i feel all gross and tense!
    He also played Warcraft. If you know what that is, I'm sorry.

I'll say in my defense that this was like 7/8 years ago, and it was mostly a long-distance thing. Thinking back now, we were really only using each other as fashion accessories rather than signifigant others.
    What a terrible terrible thing.

He was a special guy though, when i broke up with him he threatend to get revenge on me.... through his pagan gods!!! It was a bad scene, he was all weeping and i couldn't stop giggling. Thankfully it was only over the phone.
    The guy had issues. But oh the things i did learn, mostly about geek-ness.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 07:18 pm:

Oh my God. That is so funny! Through his pagan gods!!!

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 07:48 pm:

My, the glee you all feel at other people's pain. How refreshing.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 08:46 pm:

yeah, and he was dead serious too.

awww, laugh it up Tiggypoo.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 9, 2004 - 11:20 am:

Yeah, get off that high horse, we need it to make glue and dog food.

By TBone on Wednesday, June 9, 2004 - 01:21 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact