The Shadows of Giants

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: The Shadows of Giants
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By TBone on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

Can someone be depressed and not know it most of the time? I mean, not even know they're sad except for occasional sharp moments that immediately get pushed off into the corners?
    Perhaps it's just a relative thing. But every once in a while I realize that I'm working at the company where everyone else has done time before going on to something better. I've been here for years. I recently got a pathetic raise, and while my boss went on and on about how she was embarrased that she couldn't give me more based on my tremendous contributions, it was still a pathetic raise. And I'm so unmotivated, I feel like I should be fired for my terrible work ethic. I only do serious work every 3 days, on average. For this I am commended. Why am I here?
    It's hard to receive postcards from my closest friends. My best friend is in Los Alamos, NM on an internship, working with the data from that Saturn probe and having the time of his life. Another is bouncing around Europe and beyond digging up artifacts in the hot, foreign sun. A third infiltrates cult gatherings in order to study them. I'm happy for them, but their warm postcards make me want to shut the blinds and turn off the phone, lest they call to tell me how much fun they're having.
    Fuck, I need to get out of this house. I'm going.

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:51 pm:

TBone, my friend, you are feeling the call to leave your soul-leeching job for better things. Think about it.

Some people are well-meaning but foolish and they'll tell you it doesn't matter what your job is as long as you have a rewarding social life or a sport or hobby you enjoy after work. But, no, that's not enough, because you still spend ~8 hours a day at your job, so you want to make sure you at the least don't hate it. Sometimes that requires you to get another job, and sometimes it requires you to understand your job from a different perspective.

Nietzsche said, "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how."

By Spider on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 08:18 pm:

By Lapis on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:13 am:

You need more mayhem in your life, tbone.

Come visit. We'll ride small bikes down big hills and go to the library.

By TBone on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 01:04 pm:

Thanks, Spider. You're right. And I really liked that video.
    I'd like that, Lapez. I'll try.

By Antigone on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 02:56 pm:

TBone...

Get out and do what you want to do.

NOW.

I'll try to follow my own advice, too. :)

By Lapis on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:53 pm:

mayhem!

By moonit on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

There is one chick at my work, who is sometimes friendly towards me and sometimes incredibly rude and picks on me no end. Its a horrible situation and _everyone_ has noticed. Yesterday we had a team meeting, (she was away), and Lesley brought it up in front of my boss (Claire), without naming names.

Claire knew exactly who we were speaking of, and who the attitude was directed towards and now wants specific examples of behaviour towards me.

I'm so stuck in the middle.

I know Claire is going to talk to this person about it, and I know this person is going to think I ran to the boss with a sob story, and she's going to treat me worse, but it bloody wasn't me!

Apparently (Claire told me later), she has already warned this person about their attitude towards me (so its even been noticed by management), which is terrible.

I really don't want to go to work today.

By semillama on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:24 pm:

Hear hear!!

By semillama on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

By Sye on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:45 pm:

Goooooooooo Doody!!!

By Antigone on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

moonit, why don't you want anyone to do anything about that woman? Do you like being abused at work? You sound like a battered wife here: "Oh, don't do anything. You'll just set him off..."

If that co-worker treats you even worse as a result of your boss' actions, she should be fired.

By Beavis on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 06:07 pm:

"The great British faggot is full of flavour and a great belly warmer at this time of year."

heh-heh-HEE-heh-HEH!

By moonit on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:04 am:

Cause I'm wimpy. And I hate conflict.

And she's been there 17 years, and she threatens to leave every day. Today was okay though.

Did I mention my boss keeps punching me in the arm?

By Virgolifestyle on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:34 pm:

If a woman cheats twice........she's gonna cheat again ...isnt she? I mean even if she promises and throws a fit that she wont ever hurt you again...that...infidelity is just in her jeans...I dont by her new act...this "new person" shit.I'm a virgo...burn me and I probably stay burned forever..how do you trust again? I dont think I can..and how do I tell her this?

By jack on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:42 pm:

infidelity in the jeans is basically hopeless.

By C on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 05:10 pm:

are they boot cut or flare?

By TBone on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 05:19 pm:

You'll never get that stain out. Don't even try.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 07:35 pm:

Moonit,life is too short for shit,belive me,my Doc says i may be dead in 3 months,sooooo,just smack someone in the mouth (you know who),or change your job,or,just stay put and WIN...HOPE YOU DO...God Bless...perhaps you need to see this out,so you got somthing to lose?i dont think so,you dont know what your made of untill you test your self to the limit,one way or an other,YOU WILL WIN.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 07:45 pm:

By the way guys,i fully intend to be posting 50 years hence,no f***king Doctor is going to tell ME when im going to die,right???

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:24 pm:

Moonit,a long time ago,i was in much the same situation as you,had this big time Woman boss,telling me that she was allmost God allready,so i left...a few years later,i hear she had big time breast cancer,and had to get one of them removed...and she was all ways so proud of her cleveage,God moves in strange ways,right???

By wisper on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:06 am:

hey, can i ask you guys something dumb?
    what does the Barnes & Noble staff uniform look like? Please include any vests/tags/colours they have to wear.

isn't it more fun if you DONT know why I'm asking?

By V.v. on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:13 pm:

Allways!!!

By Platypus on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:38 pm:

B&N has a staff uniform? How degrading.

By Dougie on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:54 pm:

I think it's some sort of dark green vest-type dealie they wear, with a nametag reading "Hi, My Name's ____. I'll be your book peddler today."

What do you guys use more, bn.com or amazon.com? I use amazon much more unless I've got a coupon at bn. Amazon gets a little scary though with all the "You purchased this 5 years ago and we thought you might be interested in this..."

By dave. on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:36 pm:

at the barnes and noble here, they wear a ball gag and a horsetail butt plug.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:21 pm:

cant recall the last time i was in a B&N or Borders for that matter.

Amazon or local indie bookstores. Lately Ive been copping random selections from the thrift store.

By agatha on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:23 pm:

I tried to find it on the internet for you, but failed. Now I'm challenged. I should be able to find it, I'm going to be a librarian for crying out loud.

By wisper on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:01 am:

on the google image search?
    i tried too. I thank you for your trying.

By agatha on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:06 am:

I must find it.

More later.

By Spider on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:54 am:

Are you sure there *is* a uniform? I don't think so. I can stop by B&N today and see.

By semillama on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:43 am:

I think there's more of a dress code than a uniform. Like slacks and a nice shirt. We were there last night and the employee's didn't seem to be in any sort of uniform. Maybe the shirt has to be white, i don't know. Maybe not.

By TBone on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

I work 2 blocks from a Barnes. Gimme a sec.

By Dougie on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:47 pm:

I just ordered some cool stuff on Amazon -- Eddie Izzard's new video, and a CD by a group I heard on NPR's Fresh Air called One Ring Zero -- two guys who work at a harmonica/accordion factory put together a band, and they use a lot of weird instruments like claviolas, theremins, etc., and their latest album has lyrics by current authors such as Dave Eggers, Jonathan Ames, Margaret Atwood etc. Should be pretty cool. I loved this lyric from one of their songs:

There ain't no sin in Cincinnati
    Since I been in Cincinnati
    I gotta get out of Cincinnati
    Or else I'll go plumb dumb and batty

By TBone on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:48 pm:

It's mostly a dress code like Sem said. Shirt with a collar. Slacks.
    But they all have some sort of card in a plastic holder on a lanyard around their neck. As far as I could tell, it just contained an ad suggesting that you get their membership card and get 10% off.

By TBone on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

And while we're discussing books, I suggest ordering from booksense.com. They order the book through your nearest independent bookstore, and you can either go pick it up, or they'll ship it to you.

By agatha on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:03 am:

By dave. on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 05:24 am:

By wisper on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 06:54 pm:

Thank you TBone.
    I agree that you need a new job. I felt like that, then i quit. Now the idea of getting another job makes me anxious.
    Sometimes i wonder if people were meant to work. It seems that at the start of civilization, everybody got paid for their hobbies and skills.
    What a mess it's become.

By heather on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 07:17 pm:

what?

at the start of civilization people chased things and then ate them

later stronger people made other people do it

poor people always had to do shit that they didn't want to if they wanted to do things like eat

my summary. heather, fifth grade.

By TBone on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 07:26 pm:

Agatha, do you have a screenname on bookcrossing so you can get credit for referring me? It's a neato idea.

By wisper on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:48 pm:

"poor people always had to do shit that they didn't want to if they wanted to do things like eat"

you're right heather. I was mostly just thinking of Road to Avonlea, but that was pioneer times, so they didn't really have a chance to be poor yet, as no one had any money at all.

(I'm ALWAYS thinking of Road to Avonlea.)

By Spider on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 05:41 pm:

Was that the show with Sarah Polley?

I was so beat after mowing the lawn this afternoon that I laid on the couch with the intention of watching TV and resting, but I fell asleep instead. I NEVER take naps because they mess my head up. Now my head's messed up and I feel gross and I look puffy and I have to leave in a few minutes to go have dinner with my heinous aunt and uncle.

By Spider on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:43 pm:

My aunt and uncle were really nice at the dinner, and they gave me a very nice journal with handmade paper to use as a diary while I'm in Montana. Now I feel bad for calling them heinous.

But, Wisper. Have you read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books? I've been thinking about them a lot.

By wisper on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:55 pm:

Yup, that's the one. The continuation of "Anne of Green Gables", although Sarah Polley didn't stay on it for very long. One of the main characters played the scary old mom in 'Willard'. She's so awesome.
    That show is nothing short of addictive. It's on twice a day, and seemingly ALL day every sunday. When i was unemployed (the first time) one of my housemates and I would watch it religiously, even though i think everyone in Canada has seen every episode at least 10 times by now. That Jasper Dale, he's so charasmatic!

is Laura Ingalls Wilder the one who wrote the "little House on the Prarie" books? I haven't read those. Are you thining of them because you have to go and live a simple life in Montana?

By Spider on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:42 am:

Yes, those are the ones. I wasn't thinking about them in relation to my life, especially, but just about how hard life was back then and how little people needed to feel safe and happy.

They're really good books, and very fast reading. You should get them.

By Gee on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

I have not seen very many episodes of "Road to Avonlea".

I have, however, seen every episode of "Degrassi Jr. High", and "Degrassi High" about ten kajillion times. and I force myself to watch the new one, just so I can see some of the old characters (except for Caitlin - I fucking hate Caitlin).

my poor bald Snake!

By wisper on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:03 pm:

I never was a Degrassi fan.
    I realize it was the most realistic as highschool dramas go, but right across the board I've never liked highschool dramas. I'm thinking now it may be my most hated televison genre.

90210, Saved by the Bell, Dawson's Creek, the OC... yup, can't stand them.

Have you been to Degrassi High, Gee? It's in North York. My little sister made me take her once, she ran around squealing and taking pictures. The security guards looked as though that happens every day! Poor guys.

So, perhaps we could divide all of canada into two groups, the Degrassi watchers and the Road to Avonlea watchers.

By Sye on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:20 pm:

What's that Canadian show with the kids in middle school? Tucker and Becca were the main characters in it. They were best friends and lived next door to each other.

Here, we get it on cable. On the Disney channel. We also get Road to Avonlea. I would give my right arm to have cable again just for those two shows.

Our public broadcast station is going through an "Anne of..." kick this month. I got to see Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and a part of Anne of...(the next in the series). I love those movies. They're so wholesome and fun-loving. And full of mischief. I like that.

By Sye on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:21 pm:

Oh, and I like the other teenage dramas too. Easy to please, my friends, just easy to please.

By Gee on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:46 pm:

I have indeed been to the college where they filmed Degrassi! I went there for some placement test and only realized once I waslked in that it looked kind of familiar.

I don't know who Tucker and Becca are.

By wisper on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:51 am:

The show you're talking about, Sye, was called "Flash Forward".
    I've never seen it, i just did a google search.

here ya go

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact