The Crystal Martini Set

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: The Crystal Martini Set
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Rose Monte Blanc on Friday, March 13, 1998 - 05:45 pm:
    Six years ago, during a mad moment, I bought a crystal martini set from a very upscale shop in NYC. It set me back in the neighborhood of $500, but it was so elegant, and I have always loved the idea of coming home and having a nice ice cold martini after a grueling day at work. I needed that martini set. So, six years later, I sit with martini in hand, watching the sun set. I've never broken one piece of it, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. After a hideous day in the office, watching my fellow man plumb new depths of degradation and shame, it is, indeed, a reason to be cheerful.

By Sorabji on Sunday, March 15, 1998 - 08:38 pm:
    Well, Rose, being the owner of a cheap set of disposable beer bottle finery, I just wanted to say that your post about the martini set makes me very happy tonight.

But the Martini itself could drive me to Babble-On. To me it's like drinking gasoline.

By Dave on Sunday, March 15, 1998 - 11:48 pm:
    Martinis are nasty, that's for sure. And what about gin and tonics? Those things taste like hairspray. Or perfume, like when you're on a date and you're kissing and you think, "dang, she smells good" and things are progressing nicely and you start nibbling the ear and then you start that neck suck/lick thing and you hit the spot she dabbed with perfume and you think, "I hate gin and tonics".

By Sugarbaby on Monday, March 16, 1998 - 12:07 am:
    Hey people, Im on a mision. I need to find a roommate. I hoping that this person already has a roommate so I can just move in. Anyway, I'll tell you a little bit about myself!
    Im 19, going to college for OTA, I get along great with girls, but somehow I find guys are more honest and less complacated, so I wont turn down a guy roomy. I love to party, window shop, walk around and just sit and whatch other people as they go about there lives. I love to play racketball, tennis and go for walks. Im really easy to get along with. If anyone is interested my e-mail is allmensuk@yahoo.com

By Christopher on Monday, March 16, 1998 - 01:21 pm:
    Yeah, I'd go out of my way to live with someone that actually has that e-mail address.

By Rose Monte Blanc on Monday, March 16, 1998 - 02:02 pm:
    Sugarbaby,
    I find it fascinating that you are so direct. You find other women dishonest; you are a college student , yet your other posts indicate that you aren't doing very well; you would rather get high and watch other people live their lives, than live your own. Your E-mail address "allmensuk" is perhaps more an indicator of your feelings toward the opposite sex than your ability to spell. All in all, It sounds like you are a real bargain. Blasting this message board multiple times with cries of "Save Me!" will not endear you to anyone; certainly not those denizens that might take offense at the phrase "allmensuk". Put down that joint, pick up a book and save yourself. Don't rely on the kindness of strangers. More often than not they are concealing lives that are complex enough without having to babysit you. You can curse me if you'd like, but I have no good will to lend the needlessly needy.

By C.W. on Monday, March 16, 1998 - 02:57 pm:
    I'm not interested in having any sponges in my life right now, thanks. I'm sure some apparantly generous deviant is, though.

I'm slightly disturbed by Sugarbaby's messages--I sort of hope that they're a put-on. I've had friends stalked and murdered, and I hate to see someone inviting danger out of desperation rather than actively living.

By C.W. on Monday, March 16, 1998 - 03:00 pm:
    But the crystal martini set--now that sounds delightful. Here's to mad moments.

By Markus on Tuesday, March 17, 1998 - 07:26 pm:
    Good to have you back, Ms. M-B.

By Rose Monte Blanc on Friday, March 20, 1998 - 07:35 pm:
    Markus, thank you for your kind words. I was almost going to post something vitriolic; what with another hideous Friday under my belt, but I changed my mind. Well, Lets say I altered its chemistry. Dave, I can tell you in all honesty that Gin and Tonics do not taste in any way like hairspray. I fear that the women you have been nibbling on may be further down the path to alcoholism than you may have realized.

But it is Friday, and I will be cheerful. I will be a testament to the power of positive thinking. A second round of Martinis? How bracing!

By Markus on Friday, March 20, 1998 - 08:51 pm:
    Yes, thank you, I'd love one.

Besides, I already made the vitriol rounds; take the evening off.

By Markus on Friday, March 20, 1998 - 08:54 pm:
    P.S. Doing a little rereading, and came across "You can curse me if you'd like, but I have no good will to lend the needlessly needy."

I'm having the T-shirts printed up right now.

By Mean Ol Rose Monte Blanc on Saturday, March 21, 1998 - 06:47 pm:
    Oh my. I am a nasty old woman aren't I? A few days ago, someone let girlscouts into my building and when they knocked on my door, I demanded that they let me know who let them in. Then I called the front desk and asked them if I should just keep a gun near my door, since they appear to be letting anyone in these days. I didn't even buy any cookies. For that matter, I didn't even offer them a cocktail.

I've no idea, really, why my nerves have become so frazzled these last 2 weeks or so. I believe it may be time for a vacation, someplace warm. My neighbor , Henry, keeps haranguing me about the fact that I haven't taken a vacation in five years.

I think I'll go to the market and see if the girlscouts are still out there. I've always loved their "Gaucho" peanut butter cookies anyway.

By Holden on Saturday, March 21, 1998 - 10:02 pm:
    Rose, the girl scouts will be at the market, and will offer you Gauchos and Trefoils. Both come with absolution, which makes them quite a bargain!

By Dave on Sunday, March 22, 1998 - 03:00 am:
    I admit to exaggerating. Really, gin and tonics taste like gin and tonics but why bother writing that. I believe the first person to drink either gin or tonic was revolted by it. The second person was an enemy of the first. I stick with beer almost exclusively; very occasionally, I'll have a shot of aged Scotch.

By RWF 2nd Foot on Monday, March 23, 1998 - 07:19 pm:
    Is this elderly Scotsman an aquaintance?

By Markus on Monday, March 23, 1998 - 08:33 pm:
    Rose -

I don't think you NEED a gun by your door.

And it would be tragic for the frazzled thinking class if you were to lose your edge. Have a couple martinis, but not too many. Vitriol is such a lost art in these days of the artless profanity and the crass drive-by. I recommend a trip to St. somewhere; at least that's my plan as soon as I can sneak a long weekend.

Where would you like your T-shirt sent?

By Kelsey on Friday, March 27, 1998 - 04:01 pm:
    myself, i enjoy a good bloody mary now and again. today i am cheerful because i am alive. i almost killed myself and my daughter the other day in a fit of stupidity while trying to cross a highway. i spent five minutes clutching my daughter, stuck between the lanes, while my heart very nearly pounded its way out of my chest. i spent the last two days having flashbacks and crying randomly about what could've happened, now i am moving through the needless anxiety to a simple satisfaction about being alive, and a guilt based need to buy my daughter some fun new toys. the brain is a funny thing.

By Dave on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 05:22 am:
    Kels: I love you. Stay away from the highways. Speed kills. What about me, where's my toys?

By Dave on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 05:22 am:
    Kels: I love you. Stay away from the highways. Speed kills. What about me, where's my toys?

By Rose Monte Blanc on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 03:40 pm:
    Markus, I'm sorry I missed your posting. Every time I attempted to post to these message boards during the last week I would be cut off in mid sentence by one of my co-workers who insisted on checking her e-mail by plugging into my line. She isn't very bright, and when I discovered why tcp/ip kept disconnecting I quietly called her aside, explained why this wasn't a proper thing to do and in a kind, grandmotherly way, verbally eviscerated her. Mind you, this has been happening for the last 4 days, and I have little patience for the technically deficient, but I suspect you could well have guessed that about me by now.

A vacation is in the works, but I have no details to provide other than that.

Unfortunately, I haven't worn a t-shirt in at least 20 years, but the thought does give me a good laugh. I can imagine wearing it to the office on a Friday, and causing a stir. In all the years that I've worked at my firm, I've refused to "dress down" on Fridays. For that matter, I don't dress down on the weekends either. One never knows who one shall meet whilst shopping for groceries.

...And Kelsey. Two Words: Thank God.

By Kelsey on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 02:24 am:
    you just seem like a real cool lady. may i call you lady?

By Kelsey on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 02:26 am:
    love you too, sweetie. you get no toys, though.

By Spider on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

Where is this wise old Rose Monte Blanc now? She sounded charming.

I actually like gin-and-tonics. Martinis are vile.

I have some tawny port wine sitting at home. Maybe I'll have a nice glassful tonight; life is exhausting me today. Too bad I don't have a decanter -- not that the port needs decanting, but that would be an elegant accessory to own.

By patrick on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:30 pm:

are you going through the basement rhiannon?

By patrick on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

oh and I caught abit of this new show your homeboy Rollins is doing now with some fluffy blonde with a british accent. some show called Bumper Cars on TLC.

Poor Henry comes off like such a tool. If you havent seen it, don't bother. it wont last more than a few episodes.

By Spider on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 04:37 pm:

I don't have cable, so I won't be watching Henry make a fool out of himself. Poor man. I still love him, though.

I've been going through a lot of old threads lately. Trying to guess which ones I started has been interesting.

I sure used to lie a lot. I claimed to have a sister in one thread or another.

By J on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

I remember when you said your dad had cancer.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:01 pm:

I like gin & tonics, and vodka tonics. Martinis I can do without. Bloody Marys are a good thing. Jack & Ginger, a good thing. Port, also a good thing. Otherwise, give me beer.

By kazoo on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:13 pm:

I like vodka-tonics, but not gin. I don't approve of a drink that gives you a headache before you pass out. How much fun is that? I don't like "real" martinis, just those girly cocktail ones. I like shiraz, merlot, and chianti. Pino grigio too but not as much as I used to. My first love is beer. Beer is good. Beer is very good. I wish I had one now. About once a year I have a mad craving for it, but in general I don't like guinness. I tried to. I do, however, like to play with the foam...much more fun than the foam of the beer my uncles used to let me sip when I was younger.

By patrick on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:22 pm:

i go through phases.

one of my first drinks as a young lush was gin/tonics or tom collins.

however, for the last 5 years or so, you can't make me drink it. these days if im drinkin liquor at all, its vodka.

martini's are too stiff for my tastes. its not too enjoyable and i sometimes wonder if its not an inkling of pretension under which people love them so. Besides who likes getting trashed by the second drink, 10 sips and 20 minutes later.

Further, i dont understand the appeal of microbrews. Theres a weird tang/tart/bitter to microbrews that give me a headache by the third one.

"My first love is beer. Beer is good. Beer is very good. I wish I had one now"

For fucksakes Sem WHERE did you find her again? I sometimes wonder if you weren't seperated at birth from Mama Waffles. Although lately when she's had a sip of my beer she has been pretty much repulsed of it.

Im also with you on Guiness, sugartits. Stuff tastes flat and nasty.

*mental note sem, rent foam machine*

By Platypus on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 10:31 pm:

Kazoo, did you have Guinness in Ireland or in the States? Because the two are so different, they really shouldn't be called the same thing.

By kazoo on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:19 am:

Platylady,

In the states. My bestfriend is in Ireland and I figured that when I visit, I would have one, first because it just seems appropriate, and second...well, I hear it's different there.

By kazoo on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:32 am:

"Although lately when she's had a sip of my beer she has been pretty much repulsed of it."

Well that does it, we are definitely adopting.

When I do have my yearly (American) Guiness I have to share it with someone because after a few sips the craving is gone. It's nice having a boyfriend who likes Guinness though because he just passes it over and doesn't look at me strangely when I ask if I can stick my fingertips in the foam.

now I really want a beer

By J on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:21 am:

I seriously used to be able to drink more than a case of beer,now I'm lucky to get two down me,but still I try.

By Spider on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 08:23 am:

I don't think I ever said my dad had cancer. I wouldn't lie about that. He did have a growth in his lungs, if that's what you're thinking about, but it wasn't cancerous. My grandfather had cancer, and my uncle is an oncologist.

I don't like beer. Too thin and bitter. Guinness (which I had in the States) is too thick and bread-y.

I'm into the dessert wines -- port and madeira, mainly. I forgot to have the port last night. Tonight.

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:37 am:

dessert wines such as those are too sweet for me i get headaches.

i prefer a zin or a cab that knocks you on your ass

By Nate on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:49 am:

not all beer is thin and bitter.

i've been drinking north coast microbrews and nipping jameson. and margies. my cousin makes great margies with fresh squeezed lime juice and agave nectar.

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:52 am:

thats it. spider. come to cali and let nate and i take you on a beer tasting binge.

its settled then.

By eri on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

The sad thing is even though my aunt and uncle work for the wine companies in Napa, I haven't been since I was a kid and know very little about wines. I don't usually drink red wines, because I prefer sweet wines. I haven't found any red wines I really like yet, though I haven't tried many. If I want a desert wine I usually have a glass of Pinot Grigio or a White Granache.

I haven't been able to get into the microbrews. Every time I have tried one it reminds me of when I was walking through the Coors brewery when I was 8 or 9 and that awful smell.

By moonit on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

I can't drink beer. Most kiwi women do, but yuck.

gimme a vodka anyday.

My nana always said Gin is a leg opener.

By Platypus on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 09:18 pm:

Beer is nasty.

That said, what "north coast microbrews" are you drinking, Nate?

I know lots of people who work in the wine industry in Napa and give me funny trade shirts. The wine's ok, but I hate the district. It's filled with grapes and yuppies. And dormant volcanoes. Well, one dormant volcano. But still.

I'm with the kiwi on this one, vodka is the way to go.

By Nate on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 09:25 pm:

i only drank lost coast on tap, down in eureka. other than that, i had a variety of eel river and humbolt brewing company beers.

i didn't think i liked red nectar, but it seemed ok. it's changed. so i grabbed a six of some other humboldt nectar beer and it is the same nasty.

oh well.

By eri on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:29 pm:

Down to Eureka....where the hell are you?

The wine country up there is mostly yuppies. It is kinda funny to watch them. I still need to learn more about wine, though. Just don't know where to start.

By dave. on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 12:57 am:

night train?

By Platypus on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 10:56 am:

wine train.

By Nate on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:56 am:

maddog.

i was staying with family in mountains in southern humboldt county. now i'm back in my mountains.

i grew up in sonoma county. sonoma county consistantly produces better wine than napa county, but napa county has a longer history and name recognition.

it's not a good year for grape growers. lots of fruit rotting on the vine due to lack of demand.

By J on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 11:56 am:

Oh Moonit your granny's a trip, "leg opener" he he.I love beer I use to drink a 12 pack of Oley Gold by myself the cheapest beer I could buy and then some.I get too bloated now and can only get down one or two but I still do,I can drink Corona and Red Stripe now that I can't drink so much,I like a light beer that being said I like vodka and my 32 oz mudslides why beat around the bush?If your going to get tanked why waste valuable time? I bet I don't have enough brain cells left that would add up to a tennis score, why am I telling you all this?

By Platypus on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 06:52 pm:

mendocino county also makes some good wines/brandies, but is better known for other intoxicating exports.

By patrick on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:27 pm:

hey eri. the first step to learning about wine is to not drink anything called "white grenache", "
    "chablis" or "white zin"

the next step would be to go buy the Oct. issue of Food and Wine, if you can find it. It has a great listing of good wines, broken down by region throughout the world. even has a listing of "the best wine's under $20".

The trick is, to learn what region specializes in what, what years were good and bad and then you're pretty much set.

By Joe on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:15 am:

the first step to learning about wine is to drink whatever tastes good to you.

rose monte blanc chose to move on, even after mark responded to her. ain't that a kick in the head?

By Gee on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:15 am:

my roommate gets to go to LegoLand in California soon.

I'm being left behind. sniffle.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact