i have a new neighbor

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: i have a new neighbor
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:47 am:

at llpm i finally went out and got my mail. in it was a little card. this is what it said:

NOTICE OF HIGH-RISK SEX OFFENDER IN COMMUNITY

Pursuant to Article 62.045 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, the Texas Department of Public Safety is sending you notice that this high risk offender has moved to the reported address listed below. {then the url of the texas sex offender web site.}

[to the right is a small, grainy picture of a man that i could mistake for a woman. he has a long face, high forehead crowned with short hair, wide-rimmed, colorful glasses (like the rims are spotted), and a crooked mouth (like a backslash - / - slightly closer to horizontal).]

RISK LEVEL: H

Name: J***** W****** M**** [i see no reason to give out his name]
    Sex:Male
    Race:White
    DOB: 02/08/45
    Height 5 ft 06 in
    Weight: 165
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown

[i won't give the address]

Verification Agency: FT WORTH PD
    Verification Date: 07/05/05
    Disposition Date: 04/02/01

Offense: INDECENCY WITH A CHILD BY EXPOSURE
    Age of Victim: 11
    Sentence: 8y

who knows, i might actually meet him on the street or on the bus one day. the crooked mouth will be hard to miss.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:03 am:

I wonder if they have a "NOTICE OF LOW-RISK SEX OFFENDER IN COMMUNITY"

Exposing yourself to a child is bad, certainly, but is there any distinction between that and someone who rapes a child? Wouldn't they be more high risk? How about someone convicted of statutory rape? Wouldn't they be more low risk?

By droopy on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:14 pm:

i personally couldn't find any clear, straightforward assessment criteria in a google search. i doubt there are any. this is the most concise thing i found.

Sheriffs Office Search

Risk Levels defined:

Not Assigned: convicted prior to the mandatory risk level assignment.

Low: subject not likely re-offend * published one time for two consecutive weekends in newspaper with greatest circulation, and never published again * subject may be post ten, lifetime, annually or quarterly

Moderate: may re-offend * subject is published in newspaper for two consecutive weekends in newspaper of greatest circulation every time he/she changes address * subject may register post ten, lifetime, annually, or quarterly

High: is likely to re-offend * subject is published in newspaper of greatest circulation two weeks in a row every time he/she changes address * postcards shall be mailed out (offender's expense, and overseen by state) in a two mile radius for urban, and three mile for rural * subject may register post ten, lifetime, annually, or quarterly

Board Ordered: subject is required by court order to register as a sex offender for duration of probation/parole. no risk assessment is done. no publication in newspaper

Civil Commitment: subject is extremely dangerous must stay in halfway house until deemed no danger to society shall register every thirty days

sex criminals
    tarrant county sex criminals
    texas dps data base - look up your friend's criminal records here!

By Nate on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:20 pm:

woah, that's a creepy looking dude.

looks like on 4/2/2001 he exposed himself three girls, ages 11, 14, and 17.

By eri on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:25 pm:

Spunky and I were talking recently about the different classifications of sexual offenders and what would we do if we found out one was right near here (understanding that we do have an 11 year old and an almost 6 year old)?

I thought it was funny how we had different reactions to this.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

"For example, an individual may go by "Dick" as a first name while the primary record may have "Richard" as the first name. A search for "Dick" would not yield any Primary Records but would match on the Alias listing."

interesting.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:37 pm:

Aw, man! You've got to pay to search the DPS site. I wanted to see if my parking tickets were in there. :) That and my...youthful indiscretions...

By heather on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 01:36 pm:

By heather on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 01:37 pm:

i wouldn't suggest it though

it's very disheartening

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

I gots me one right down tha street!

By droopy on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 02:31 pm:

yeah, but is he as creepy-lookin' as mine.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 02:37 pm:

holy shit

there's a lot of creeps in my neighborhood.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 03:00 pm:

Send me an e-mail an e-mail droopy and I'll send you a link.

Creepy isn't the way I'd describe him. There are four pics of him, one each year since his offense. (Aggrivated sexual assualt of a 13 year old.) In the second pic he looks like a regular joe. He's even smiling. Third pic he gained a lot of weight. In the most recent pic he's lost it, and then some, and looks kinda pissed. It's an interesting evolution.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 04:01 pm:

mine doesn't seem to ever have had an uncreepy day in his life as a pervert. how he manages even to get within range of these kids is hard to believe.

i don't have your email address. besides, i've got to get off this damn computer and do some real world shit.

By wisper on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 05:30 pm:

So what does "exposed himself" mean exactly? Is this getting the kids alone in a room and whipping it out and trying to make them touch it? Or could it be just running past the kids and flashing them once?

To me, high risk should mean things along the lines of "will grab and possibly fuck anyone under 13 without notice".

By Nate on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

i was looking at other texas sex offenders, and found a "low risk" who was guilty of aggravated sexual assault on a 4 year old.

maybe the risk they're talking about is the risk of being a decent citizen, the risk of passing an elementry school without getting an erection, or something of that sort.

By agatha on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 09:08 pm:

By Cat on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 09:22 pm:

Sex offenders aren't usually scary strangers - they're often someone you invite into your home on a regular basis - an uncle, a good friend or the local scout master. That's my issue with the Megan's Law premise. It makes people feel safer when the devil is lurking within.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:03 pm:

you know, i've been thinking about it. i think that what i got in the mail was basically a legal disclaimer. sort of like "do not drink bleach, even though it says 'lemon' on the label."

so here we have this guy who's molested a child, and he's been paroled. what he did may be up to some people's standard of severity, but it was bad enough. more importantly, somebody seems to think he's the kind of guy who would do it again. so, to cover their asses, they've come up with this notification plan. "at least we warned you about him."

i also found out where my guy lives, which intrigues me. at first i thought maybe lived pretty far away. i'm on the 10 hundred block of 4th street. beyond that his a stretch of road of maybe a half mile of mostly nothing. after you pass under a train bridge there's a warehouse on the right, then a purina pet food mill on the left, and directly across the street from that what i thought were "business houses" (offices built to resemble a house) just sitting in a vacant lot. the road goes on over the trinity river and then hits sylvania street, where there're more warehouses, a tiny little spanish-language radio station, and a sleazy bar (the kind that doesn't even have a name on the outside of it).

i thought maybe my guy was on the other side of sylvania and i was just at the outer reaches of his warning range. but a friend of mine who was driving up 4th from sylvania said those "office houses" *were* the 1500 block! i can't find any listings of apartments being there. i'm wondering if it's because their only purpose is to house paroled criminals.

it also means the closest bus stop to anyone who lives there will be my bus stop.

this could get interesting.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:48 am:

Megans Law is half-assed measure to pick up the slack for half assed parents. When i searched in my neighborhood, most were 'in violation', which I presume means they havent updated their info, violated their parole or probation or something. So whats the point?

Know where you kids are at all times. Teach them about their gag reflex. I hear vomit is one of the best rape detractors available.

By heather on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 02:19 pm:

how i found out about the website:

i vaguely knew this guy from a job a long time ago. he posted
    something to a journal that said that he had received a creepy
    letter from some guy trying to pick up on him. the letter said
    that the creepy guy thought he was cute and did he want to get
    together sometime. where did the creepy guy get this fellows
    address and see his picture? from the megan's law website.

so apparently it's a convenient place for pedophiles to pick up
    on each other.

the funny part to me was that this person i once knew- admitted
    that he was on this website to lots of people and what he was
    upset about was the fact that a guy was trying to pick up on
    him. "i have committed a crime against a minor, but i sure as
    hell ain't gay!"

By Jackson on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:12 pm:

Think most perverts say that.

By agatha on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:19 pm:

Eew. How do you know this guy, exactly, heather?

By droopy on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:56 pm:

just got home. there was a note pinned to my door.

July 20, 2005

LETTER TO RESIDENTS

This is to advise you that one of the residents at Hillside Apartments has notified the police that she was assaulted on Thursday, July 4th, 2005. McCormack Baron Ragan Management Services wants all of the residents of Hillside to be aware of this incident. You should always take appropriate precautions when you enter and exit the community and your respective apartment. If you notice any individuals unknown to you loitering within or outside the community, please contact the police and the Management Office immediately.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Management Office.

this is not the least bit helpful. it was july 4th! lots of people loitering around because it's downtown and you can see fireworks from here. and what did the guy who committed the assault look lke? a street person? a college student? there are always people moving in and out of here. i've been here 5 years and have had 4 different neighbors in the apartment adjacent to me.

By jack on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:07 pm:

pretty stupid, but some people need to be reminded of things like "You should always take appropriate precautions when you enter and exit the community and your respective apartment."

also, some RE management corps don't want to be accused of not notifying residents of potential dangers. that's great that they gave it the personal pinned-to-the-door touch.

By eri on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:53 pm:

Three minor girls (all aged 13) were attacked by a man on our apartment complex premises. We know this because their one friend who couldn't go out that day lived directly upstairs and that is where they ran to. 3 girls who barely escaped molestation (or do you call it rape, it's so hard to tell what the right terminology is), all under age, and the attacker turned out to be the guy who lived next door to us (he moved out the next day). No notices, no nothing. But at least he moved out the next day, though I think he knew we were buiding a bit of a witch hunt when it came to him.

By heather on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 01:15 am:

he worked in the same place i worked. he was rather normal
    although a bit over-friendly at times and the spidey sense was
    tingling for the creepy-vibe.

yes i was disturbed when he revealed this information.

he seemed to feel that whatever happened was "not so bad" or
    something but i wasn't all that interested in hearing about it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact