I can breath

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: I can breath
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 04:22 pm:

I spent the majority of the holidays in the hospital. Im better now, but still not 100%...perhaps 90% or so. Im still a bit anemic and my breathing is still short at times.

You see, the day before xmas, running errands with my shorty, I think I might have pulled a muscle, or so I thought. I was putting her in her car seat and something 'snapped' in my upper chest/back as if a muscle was pulled. It bugged me most of the day. It got better the next day but started to get worse that night, xmas eve. Spending the evening with my kid at some friends house having dinner, my back and chest muscles started to act up again. I suspected it was due to being on my feet and being tired.

An aside....xmas eve...the little girl got food poisoning. I spent most of the evening catching vomit from the poor critter who was fine by morning light. After gifts I raced her to mommy to do their thing. I went on to have a champagne brunch and later went to Angry Sams on very litle sleep. Coming home later that night after plenty of Xmas cheer, my back was really tight and my breathing tight. I assumed my breathing was tight because I was having a muscle spasm of sorts.

Call the doctor on the 26th. The office is closed but be prescribes some muscle relaxers and pain killers over the phone, both will do nothing for me.

The next day I see the doctor. My left lung doesnt sound so good. Im sent to the hospital for an xray. Upon doing the xray, the tech asks me to wait before leaving. Minutes later Im told they are getting a bed for me. I know very little but the tech mumbled something about a collapsed lung and a chest tube.

Once admitted, the surgeon stops by and explains. They are going to insert a 1/2" diameter tube between my ribs to drain fluid and re-inflate my lung.

Insert terror and morphine.

Seeing i was very uneasy they give me valium and eventually morphine just prior to being cut open and fitted for a tube. I've spent one night in a hospital and it was for the kids birth so im extremely uneasy...and with good cause Im soon to find.

The following morning, the doctor authorizes a morphine drip. The next 5 days or so are a blur. The tub was pulled out last monday and i was released. Hopefully my lung is doing what it is supposed to be doing and they wont have to open my chest like its a fucking barn to go noodling around and repair my lung.

The cause? Spontaneous pnuemothorax. Being tall and skinny and a smoker and between the ages of 20-40 stacks against me since I suffered no major chest trauma such as a car accident or gun shot wound.

I think Nate stopped by to visit during the Great Haze as a i call it. it was very nice but man I don't rememeber much. Apparently I was a bit of an excusable asshole during that time. The departure from reality with a morphine drip was something else, to be sure. Peeing in a tank is nice, as are sponge baths by your girlfriend, but the gurgling of a machine sucking lung juice from your chest cavity for days on end is not.

My breathing is pretty good. But man, this will probably have to go down as some of the shittiest holidays ever. Since my recovery time was unknown and the girls mother was scheduled to travel abroad this week, the baby went to her grandparents in NC. so im missing the baby girl mucho.

Im off the pain meds, though I thouroughly advocate the creation of a placebo clicker similar to that that dispenses the morphine in the hospital. I was told for days after my release at night my left hand was squeezing something that wasnt there.

I also havent had a smoke in over two weeks and am actually doing pretty damn good. This weekend I got in my first social setting around smokers and was even repelled by it so that is very encouraging.

By wisper on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 06:52 pm:

Oh my god, Patrick. That sounds so painful and scary. What is with you and moonit getting serious injuries over the holiday?
    Do you have stitches where the tube was?
    How long until they know for sure that it's okay?

I hear you on the morphine-drip haze. The 6 days i spent on one are a big fuzzy dream.

By TBone on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 07:36 pm:

Wow, I'm glad you're back on your feet. It sounds very scary indeed. My lungs cringe for you.

By platypus on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 08:52 pm:

Patrick, that sounds immensely lame. I hope you feel 100% soon. It sucks when they stick shit in your chest. And also when your lungs collapse.

Do you think you're going to quit smoking? 'cause that would rad. I'd have to mail you cool things for encouragement purposes.

By Antigone on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 08:54 pm:

Glad you're not dead, you excusable asshole.

By wisper on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 08:58 pm:

I don't think there's any more encouragement needed to quit smoking than having a tube suck fluid out of your lung for 5 days.
    Well, that would be more than enough for me, anyway.

By kazu on Monday, January 9, 2006 - 10:22 pm:

holy crap. i'm glad you're doing better.

By droopy on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 02:44 am:

that sucks, patrick. i had a similar lung trauma thing years ago - punctured my lungs with my own broken ribs and then later had a pulmonary embolism. and i continued to smoke. but after a while cigarettes started to get so noxious to me that i just quit. sometimes i'll smoke if someone offfers me one, but i don't crave another.

i'm sure you'll be fine.

By semillama on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:00 pm:

hope you feel better soon, and good luck with quitting - what a motivator!

keep us updated. I didn't know that your lungs could just collapse like that without any outside trauma.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 04:12 pm:

im good in the smoking department. occassionally i'll crave one, but it quickly passes. i expect that im done with smoking, but id like to enjoy one every now and then like droop. this weekend i was in a social setting, the first, in which others were smoking and it actually repelled me. my sense of smell and taste are so different now...much more sensitive.

and yeah....a tube sucking lung juice for 5+ days is all i needed. actually....just the procedure to insert the fucker was enough.

i have a pretty mean quarter-size scar too. had the stitches removed this morning. i also went for an xray and check up. my lung is about 80% and expected to get back to 95-99%. it will never be 100% due to some scarring as my case was pretty bad. but im good and no surgery should be needed.

sem-its a bit misleading...the doc explained it to me...its not entirely at random. because of shape of my body and thus my long lungs, im more apt to pull a muscle ibn my shoulder which might cause a slight tear, something seemingly innocuous and then it causes an internal fissure...then the fluid builds and collapses the lung. its seemingly random, but there is a source of trauma but its rather flukey. it seems to have started with that weird muscle-pulling sensation i experienced putting the kid in the car. for the first hour of the tube, the most uncomfortable, as the bulk of the fluid is draining and the lung is rexpanding, that same spot on my shoulder was in immense pain and pressure. very strange.

i still have a nice big script of vikeys i will continue to enjoy liberally.

By agatha on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:07 pm:

Jeez, Patrick. WTF?!!! I'm glad you're okay, and I'm glad you're quitting smoking, but please refrain from becoming a heroin addict. Thank you.

By moonit on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:33 pm:

Holy fuck thats scary! Glad you are doin better.

By moonit on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:33 pm:

Holy fuck thats scary! Glad you are doin better.

By agatha on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:34 pm:

Moonit's glad you are doin better. Just so you know.

By wisper on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:54 am:

Who's glad? about what again??

By TBone on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:40 pm:

Ever since reading this, the phrase "Pop a lung" has been wandering around my mind, looking for something to latch on to.

By patrick on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:58 pm:

it's kind alike a flat tire. i have a visual of a lung as this sack....sorta like an inflated scrotum. when its collapsed is all shriveled and sad.

By sarah on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:59 am:

i'm glad you're okay too. very scary. i'd never heard of such a thing.

why all the fluid though? where did it come from?

so i was gone and need to get caught up on other stuff. what happened with your marriage? where are you living? how old is the baby girl now?

By platypus on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:50 pm:

Thanks to you, TBone, I told a customer who was complaining yesterday night "hey, at least you didn't pop a lung."

By patrick on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 03:44 pm:

my marriage doesnt exist... legally. my girl will be 3 in march. im still in los angeles.

the lung juice....well im not exactly sure where it came from.

By TBone on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:22 pm:

Alien lung juice!

By sarah on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:27 pm:

lung juice would be a great name for a punk band.

By TBone on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:38 pm:

Platypus: Excellent.

By droopy on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:30 pm:

i was thinking that "poppa lung" would be a good name for a band.

By V on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:01 pm:

...I remember the tune,"poppas got a brand new lung",,,was it by "li,ll Ritchard"?

By V on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:07 pm:

I think I ripped a tendon in my my left arm last week,but I cant remember punching anyone.

By V on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:16 pm:

...I just woke up with a ripped left arm tendon,its not as if I look for ripped tendons (like moonit)...some people move in there sleep,perhaps I do also,what did I dream of?,...not the head with 8 legs,again,15 years its been after me in the tunnels,and it has not caught me yet,you dont need the dreams I get.

By V on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:43 pm:

patrick,years back I had something like you have,one of my chest muscles went solid,then an other,then an other,all the way round to the back bone,like a steel band around the chest,I sat down for half an hour and it went away,thought it was a heart attack,I was 20 at the time and doing some energetic plastering.For me it was a "one off" thing,hope its the same in your case,yet I still wake up with locked up calf muscles now and then,hurts like hell.Perhaps we all need to put a lot more olive oil on our Waldorf salads.

By droopy on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:49 am:

v - "poppa's got a brand new bag" by james brown.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:51 pm:

v, the painful tighting of the calf muscles often occuring during sleep are soley due to lack of potassium. eat a banana when that happens. they wont happen any more.

By kazu on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:46 pm:

or low levels of magnesium, calcium, sodium...not just
    potassium. for some reason I imagine v on dialysis, which
    might account for nocturnal leg/calf cramps

By kazu on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:51 pm:

does anyone else get restless legs at night?

By patrick on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:12 pm:

i did when ive taken certain medications. cold medicines with that psuedoephendrine shit make my legs consistantly restless.

By platypus on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:25 am:

Sometimes I get restless legs.

Last night I had restless body. All night I could not get comfortable. The felines were not pleased.

By droopy on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:21 am:

all my life, people have complained about what a restless sleeper i am - lots of tossing and turning, the kind that shakes the bed. on the upside, at least my legs aren't restless anymore.

By heather on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 03:34 am:

i got the leg cramps when i tried to do atkins. if i get up and take a vitamin i feel better in 30 minutes or so.

hey sarah, everyone.

very sorry about your lung, patrick.

By moonit on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 02:02 pm:

I run in my sleep and annoy everyone.

No idea if I'm running from or to...

By V on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:14 pm:

Patrick,the leg cramps kill me,and I will try bananas,mostly I eat Spanish clementines,and kazu,I am not on dialysis,yet.

By V on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:23 pm:

moonit,so you dont have to work out then? I dont sleep much due to the cat eating my nose at 3a.m.,its like a furry purry Count Dracula.

By sarah on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 01:32 pm:

so are you feeling any better now patrick?

By V on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:00 pm:

...I still have Tia,the Monster Cat from Hell walking over my keyboard.

By V on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:07 pm:

patriok,if V can live forever,so you can you,I tend to think your just a tad under the weather.

By V on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:18 pm:

patrick,my Doctor told me I was dead 10 years ago,yet I still live,...do you have a problem beating the shit out of Doctors ???...v dont.

By V on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:55 pm:

patrick,look as far as v is concerned,most Doctors know less than us,I dont care if they did 7 years in hospital,them fuck heads know nothing,and can you tell me for what reason the monitors were taken off my Fathers chest 24 hours before he died of a heart attack at 58?...IT WAS TO SAVE MONEY.I hope to God shit like that does not happen in America,but I ,spect it does.

By wisper on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 05:49 pm:

do tell us, patrick. And how's the not smoking?

By V on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 07:31 pm:

Look,if you give up smoking,you re-start when get cremated.,so you just cant win.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 02:37 pm:

im good. thanks.

the not smoking thing is going ok. it could be better, but im still 95% a non-smoker.

the human condition that allows us to forget pain is all too good.

By V on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:38 pm:

patrick,how many days are you non smoking? a friend of mine,Stewart Laird,(Scottish)has given up for 94 days,but still dreams of cigs,all the time,but he does for a fact feel 20 years younger...I tell him to suck on a ballpoint,suck it in,blow it out,my computer guy Brian gave up 3 years back,but still sucks on a ballpoint now and then,v is still on 100 a day,wish me well.How the hell i am still alive I dont know.patrick,I allways know when I need a smoke...my lungs dont hurt anymore.

By V on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:55 pm:

patrick,you also just put 10 years on your life span,82 years min...yeah,just some more stuff about my Bro Brian,he still coughs and spits a bit,but its a lot better than spitting blood,like he did.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 03:40 pm:

it happened again. this time to the other lung. this time they did surgery. this time the morphine drip made vomit. this time i got three nasty/cool wounds.

but surgery was better. and it statistically i have a less than 10% chance of this ever happening again.

they took 3% of my lung. i wont miss it.

By J on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 04:30 pm:

Jesus,I was wondering what you were up to,I'm glad your alright.

By V on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 05:29 pm:

Patrick,you get over that shit real soon.

By V on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 05:35 pm:

J,you need to post more often,v misses your postings.

By wisper on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 06:23 pm:

that's so scary.

You no likey the morphine?

By V on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 06:38 pm:

Patrick,since you gave me that advice about banananas,my legs dont lock up no more,first time in my whole life,pain free...so how can v help the situation you are in? tell me,what you want from 3ooo to 7000 miles East of you...now Patrick,if your luck is real low,you want to try a spell from v,take a glass of water,add salt and rose petals,mix,and spread it across your front and back door steps,your luck will change,for me it lasts 3 months,v has done that for years,it works,do it,...and Patrick,fore you tell me to fuck off,try it.,it works.

By agatha on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 07:46 pm:

HOLY CRAP! I hope you're okay, Patrick. Take care of yourself, hear?

By jack on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:30 am:

ugh. keep on doing, patrick. are you anywhere near regular life yet?

By Antigone on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 03:06 am:

Patrick, get well soon. And don't fucking do it again.

And, guess what, V? I'm coming to London in June...

By droopy on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:12 pm:

damn, patrick. take a glass and fill it with coyote blood and tequila. smear it on the south wall of your bedroom in the shape of a pair of lungs.

By patrick on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 02:24 pm:

yeah, im pretty much back to normal. i got my stiches out of the one scar they had to sew up. the other two were stiched on the operating table. so now its all scabby and nasty but healing fast. i breath normal, and feel pretty good.

i didnt suffer any anemia this time, so my recovery has been quicker even though they actually went into my chest and removed part of my junk

life is somewhat back to normal.

because i recognized the pain when it set in while i was at work, i got my ass to the hospital quicker thus my lung wasnt fully collapsed. the morphine, this time made me sick so i got off the drip and just took pills and the occasional dilaudid or morphine shot at night to sleep. i was much more lucid this time which was frustrating. i did have a chest tube in the whole time. basically this tube that is in your chest all the time attached to a type of machine similar to a water pump on a fish tank. it helps reinflate my lung with bubbles and sucks out any fluid build up. thinking im progressing the doc turned off the bubbles, expect to discharge me after 4 days. but the lung recollapsed and it kept me there an extra 3 days. it was very very very frustrating for me as i generally felt fine otherwise.

two photo gigs, my girls birthday party, my first music gig with my GF and two weeks of work all shelved. not mention i was in the middle of a move. my ex was refusing to bring my daughter to see my, finally giving in on the last day. reason cited was she was protecting her from seeing me like that (i was fine, except the bubbling tub poke out my rib cage, though covered with a shirt). Th eex was playing control bitch and it was her way of punishing me for other shit we had dealt with just prior that i didnt let her control.

Anyway, im back at work. Im finally moved. we had a make up birthday party for eva....a pirate themed party. and if i say so myself, i was looking pretty fucking good with nasty scars to match.

if i can shamefully call nate out to so graciously hook me up with that blog he was going to make for me, i can post some pics takin with my bitchin new dig cam.

By TBone on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 06:36 pm:

Damn, Poppa Lung. Glad you're vertical again.

By heather on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 08:16 pm:

yes, damn.

do i have your email patrick?

By patrick on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 12:36 pm:

yes. you also have my phone number and my IM addy.

By dave. on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:12 pm:

goddam, man. do you have some kind of congenital lung condition? you popped both of 'em now. how unlikely is that? no more smoking, aiight?

By patrick on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:54 pm:

they really don't know much about it. it was somewhat forseen that this would happen to my other lung. i know someone who had both of his lungs go at the same time.

my daughters indian doctor Happy said it best when i told her "ah, yes your body sought balence". and in perhaps some sort of metaphysical way, my body did seek balance.

It has nothing to do with smoking and everything to do with my heigh, age, or so they think
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000100.htm

By sarah on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 09:36 am:

patrick, i'm glad you only have two lungs.

i'm sorry about all that, hope you're feeling better. and yeah, stay away from that morphine.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact