quitting (again.... new year 2007 update)

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: quitting (again.... new year 2007 update)
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By lapis on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:51 pm:

the new job turned out to be nearly everything i didn't want.

* bad hours
    * low pay
    * long commute
    * no internet
    * no real work

i was excited for a little while to be working again, but working as a caregiver isn't all it's cracked up to be. my parents, of all people, convinced me to quit.

in the spring i'll be returning to school; studying (some combination of) french, asl, esl education, communication and linguistics. this summer i'll either bike to vancouver or raft down the mississippi, depending on what the sprockettes wish to do.

i've been flirting with a boy in seattle, but this is very seldom (at all the big west coast bike weekends). for minibikewinter i'm contemplating attempting to piece a my pet monster blue furry bikini thing.

attempting to pull myself from a pit of self pity.
    dancing at the oregon state pro-choice lobby day.
    dreaming of bicycles, cabins and chariots.

...and i admit that i haven't even been lurking, so tell me

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 08:31 pm:

SO, lapis,being a Interpreter as well as bi-lingual can yeild alot of $$$. I know a lady in my hometown, I am familar with her for helping spanish people, and communicate with deaf ppl.she makes alot of dough( AHEM), excuse me, I gotta go for a New year Celebration.. and Happy New Year to all of you at Sorabji.

By heather on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 10:38 pm:

can you be an interpreter with one language? there are people i could use some mediation with even in english

"english"

i am having gi cramps, no party for me i thinks

By lapis on Monday, January 1, 2007 - 06:52 pm:

i'm not thinking so much about interpreting but helping others to communicate more clearly.

jargon interpreter?

By TBone on Tuesday, January 2, 2007 - 01:10 pm:

I need a mumble interpreter.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 2, 2007 - 10:46 pm:

Mediator?

By sarah on Thursday, January 4, 2007 - 02:04 pm:

senor needs a mumble interpreter too.

By Christopher on Saturday, January 6, 2007 - 05:02 am:

Howdy everyone. Remember me? It's Christopher. I started the
    original "Reasons to be Cheerful" thread 8 years ago. I manage
    to drop by every few years. How Stalwart some of you are! Oddly
    enough I see Lapis talking about deaf people and asl. I ended up
    hooking up with my honey almost 8 years ago, and he is
    profoundly deaf and has been since birth. I can tell you the best
    way to learn ASL. Immerse yourself. Hook up with a really sexy
    deaf guy like I did and live with him. I'm good enough that most
    new deaf people I meet think I am deaf. Len got a cochlear
    implant right about on his 40th birthday and within weeks heard
    sound for the first time in his life. That was 5 years ago. He has
    actually developed taste in music, which unfortunately leans
    toward gay techno dance mixes. He pumps up the bass so he
    can feel it too. I met him after a softball game. He had on a
    uniform and everything, Our first conversation was on a pad of
    paper which is now in my nightstand. I never saw any one else
    after that day. I knew that this was THE ONE. I just didn't know
    how to communicate with him. I bought books at first, then took
    a beginners class at Ohlone College. After a year or so, Len and I
    moved in together and my ASL learning went fast. I was
    evaluated at Vista college and placed into a level 3 class. Not
    bad after about 2 years with Len and his friends. I achieved level
    4 but did not want to go into being an interpreter. It is not
    something I really enjoy doing. I find it hard to talk and sign
    back and forth. You will discover that it is easier to speak, or to
    sign, but try both and both suffer. I can tell you that interpreters
    in california are very well paid, and are in high demand for the
    technical community. Len is a software engineer, and his
    company spends thousands on interpreters. Len is a brilliant
    guy, and they are lucky to have him. You should see the video
    phones we have. His company hooked up video telephony stuff
    that is insane. I like it so much I got my parents a box and talk
    with them from our respective sofas. Its very jetsons.
    Wow, it is always a trip that I see so many familiar names here
    after all this time. Greetings my friends!

XOXOX

By wisper on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 03:52 am:

oh Christopher, i think of you and Len whenever i hear anything about cochlear implants or deafness. I remember you told us about it during the start of the war and it was amazing to think that amidst all that crazy sad bullshit, some guy was hearing music for the first god damn time ever. Or maybe sem said that specifically. Anyway, it was true.

By agatha on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 05:10 pm:

Hi, Christopher! I, too, remember getting a little teary when I read the story about Len's new cochlear implant. You should stop in more often, damnit.

By agatha on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 05:17 pm:

Oh, and Pez, nothing has been happening. We talked about some books, and Spider is in library school, and Swine dropped in for a minute, and Hal was back for a moment but I think he's gone again, and there's a new guy named milt who I think might actually be jack or droopy, and Nate is writing another book, and Jack is still not gay, and V is still bizarre, and droopy is having an affair with Shane Macgowan, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

By Antigone on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 05:49 pm:

And my wife is having a baby.

Shhhhhh.... Tell no one. :)

By platypus on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 08:23 pm:

Woah nelly.

I just woke up from a nap in which I dreamed that your wife had a baby, and the baby's name was Grace. Creepy.

By agatha on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 11:32 pm:

WOW! Congratulations, tiggy. You're going to be the best dad ever.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 12:11 am:

Hip Hip Hooray for Greg!

By J on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 02:41 am:

Yea Tiggy,double what Agatha said, the very best best dad ever.Your very cute nephew looks like you.When is that baby coming? I,m having another grandson in May. Watching the spawn of spawn is taking it's toll on me,I'm not in shape anymore.Hey,just a minute,wife? Did I miss the details somewhere of the big day? I try to keep up but can't type much now as I usually have a child or two on my lap. I feel like lady madonna,or granny madonna or just plain tired. Congrats Tiggy:)

By blindswine on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 02:45 am:

happy new year, christopher.

best wishes to you and yours.

keep pumping up the bass.

By Antigone on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 03:20 am:

I got hitched back in October, J.

There's no official due date yet. August is the guess. I know it's early to tell folks about it, but we already told our families and I figured it was OK to tell ya'll.

I like the name Grace. :)

We've already decided that he/she will have two middle names. (Both grandmothers or both grandfathers)

By lapis on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 01:32 pm:

i've got a 5-year-old cousin named grace. her twin brother is gunnar.

holy moly! that's a lot to digest. congratulations on library school, spider.

put in my notice this morning. they're not going to fire me.

they can't.

who'd actually work graveyard now?

i feel freer.

By TBone on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 01:42 pm:

Sweeeeet. Raise it weird.

By semillama on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 02:29 pm:

My best friend's daughter is also named Grace.

Tell us when her first sentence is "Eat Hot Fuck".

By J on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 03:54 pm:

I have really wasted my mind,duh,I saw Tiggy's nephew in his wedding photos.Kids your mother's not well. Hi Christopher,still remodeling?
    I know four sisters named Faith,Charity,Hope and Grace.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 03:08 am:

Grace? you planning to name it after the late Princess Grace of Monaco?

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 03:09 am:

Oh, sorry, what year did Princess Grace passed away? I am curious.

By droopy on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 03:23 am:

the year that did princess grace passed away was 1982, in a car crash. princesses have shit luck with cars.

but tiggy will name his child after gracie allen.

say goodnight, dr. pepper.

By semillama on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 08:42 pm:

I'm afraid you're wrong, droopy. Antigone will name his child after Grace Jones.

I'm in Williamsburg, VA, for an archaeology conference. This is a weird town and sort of creepy at night, walking back to the hotel. Because it's not the tourist season, there's hardly anyone out, and it's dark and like being in a crappy M. Night Shyamalanadingdong movie.

By jack on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 09:08 pm:

whatever the name, i hope tiggy remains mindful of the wonderful emotional and learning experiences that a child can acquire via pet ownership.

and you know what makes a fine pet?

that's right! a CHUPACABRA!

By Nate on Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 09:23 pm:

i believe it has to do with the anthony doerr novel, which was quite good.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:29 am:

Ok Thanks, Droopy, it was like I was like 14 or 15 years old and was living in Dallas at that time.

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 03:18 pm:

I'm considering CHUPACABRA as a middle name.

And as for pet ownership, holy shit, there will be animals about. You can count on that.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 05:27 pm:

nothing like little kids starving hamsters.

By droopy on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 01:16 am:

i was 14 or 15 in 1982 and living in fort worth. i think dr. pepper is my long lost twin brother from whom i was separated at birth. either that or i've had too many boilermakers.

i have a story about a cousin of mine whose daughter killed their puppy buy stuffing it into a cookie jar, but i'll spare you.

(¡tengo la música!)

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 02:44 am:

Ok,Droopy, What state did you were born?

By milt on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 05:54 am:

state of confusion.

By droopy on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:05 pm:

i wuz boooooooooorn
    in a army base
    in ol' virginny

By Dr Pepper on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:11 am:

Lol, Sorry, I ain't your long lost twin brother, Cause I was born in Illinois

By droopy on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 07:37 pm:

is that where you're family is from - illinois? nobody in my family is from anywhere near virginia. it's just where my parents were when i popped out, living in a trailer park outside of fort lee before my dad went to vietnam and my mom went to texas.

By Dr Pepper. on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:52 am:

Well,My mom's family moved to Texas when she was like 6 or 7 years old,but then when she graduated from Skyline H.S., then she went to college in Illinois, that is when she fell love with my dad, and got married in '64 and wasn't til around the 80's, both got divorced and two years later, in '82, mom took me to Texas, cause she wanted to be close to her parent.

By Antigone on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 01:55 pm:

Did you go to Skyline too? I graduated from there in '89. :)

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:44 pm:

Antigone, My Mom did graduated from there. But ,I went to Samuell High school,A short times there. Because I had trouble times with my Mother.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 06:54 pm:

anyone know whatever happened to ol' whatshisface? that young kid that used to post here. i think he had guardians instead of parents that posted here too?

By eri on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:21 am:

For the record, Spunky got a new job with the new year......n'uff said....

By ... on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:35 am:

oswald? crimson? who knows what... I always suspected it was the "guardians" posting as an alternate personality/creative writing type thing, mining for reactions. I don't really remember any more, but sometimes a charade reveals more than its opposite, and I am terminally skeptical of people's sincerity and motives. so i'm no help.

By droopy on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 01:09 am:

oswald and crew came to my mind when the jt leroy hoax was exposed a while back. but i never really minded if oswald was a lie or not. i've got book book i may or may not start reading with this quote on its first page: "se non è vero è ben trovato - even if it's not true, it's a good invention."

By Antigone on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 02:23 am:

I love charades, exactly for that reason.

My favorite charade was always Cat.

By agatha on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 02:25 pm:

Oswald was a really good invention, assuming that he wasn't real. Well done.

I'm also a fan of droopy's cletus character.

By droopy on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 05:30 pm:

i have a cletus character?

By TBone on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 06:53 pm:

I've often suspected that I was someone's invention.
    Or maybe you're all mine.

The image that sticks in my mind concerning Oswald wasn't of him, but of a description of items he left in the back of a car.

By TBone on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 06:56 pm:

By ... on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 08:29 pm:

i've never had a capacity to carry on online as if i was someone else. i think i tried once in a chat room and felt pretty stupid about it. i remember in the early 1990s i signed on to a US-based service that let you connect to the French Minitel. everyone else used aliases and handles, but i signed in as "MARK A. THOMAS (NYC)" and got immediate hackles from people asking if i was out of my bleepin' mind.
    i later realized this service i'd signed on to was supposed to be a sex chat service (it was being advertised as such in some papers), so i guess the anonymity had some merit. i'd still have signed on the same way had i known.
    what passes for personality online doesn't always translete in other settings, so maybe these things are all alter ego expressions.

By Antigone on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:25 pm:

Exactly.

The interesting thing about my experience is that, over the years, my online persona and real one have merged. I've become much more like my online self in real life than when I started posting here. Basically I've been freed to speak my mind and be myself because I was able to do it here.

By Karla on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 02:54 pm:

It's the opposite for me. I'm much more reserved here than I am in real life.

By heather on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 05:54 pm:

i find women and men are usually opposite like that, the men being much more "out" online and the women moreso in person. by a lot.

i think am glad to hear that you are more like online self, tiggy.

By Karla on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 06:59 pm:

I use my real name online because it makes me think twice about what I post, particularly when I've had a few glasses of wine. Not that I don't have some regrets about past posts.

By V on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 06:26 pm:

Anti,v is still pissed off v missed you by 1 mile in London,you understand v will have to cut his own head off with a samurai sward?....and I trust you feel guilty about this?

By V on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 07:17 pm:

Anti,dawn is comeing up,so must get back in coffin fast,speak soon...da,tovarich?

By Antigone on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:44 pm:

I was out of town, V. Couldn't respond before sunup.

I'm not pissed at you.

Fucker.

By V on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:20 am:

Anti...how come you are allways so nice on line?betcha in real life you you are the the Anti Christ?.....yeah,an I dont care how good looking that girl is on your arm...bet you paid her to pretend to be your girl,did you not?....and v did for a fact go 20 miles underground to meet you,on a hot sweaty day in London....Anti,v trys real hard in all things,as you know....fucker......part from that,most times your o.k.

By Antigone on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 02:25 am:

Yeah, I pay her. I pay her in progeny.

By V on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:13 pm:

Anti,v sees in my dictionary,progeny means offspring.,are you sure you posted correct word?

By heather on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:22 pm:

he is sure

By V on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:12 pm:

heather,are you sure,..you sure, you are not just winding me up?

By lapis on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:43 pm:

she's sure he's sure.

pop yer head out of your ass for once.

By Spider on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 03:32 pm:

What Antigone said.... was it here that someone posted that they were once out in a store with several of their nieces and nephews, and a woman came up to them and asked them why they had so many kids, and they replied, "I'm a great fuck and these are my trophies"?

I don't know if I'm more outgoing in real life or online. It depends on the real life or the online.

I don't think I would have asked the question above if we were speaking in person, though.

By Antigone on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 03:31 am:

I'm sure. And she's sure nauseous a whole lot, so she's sure. Prenatal tests coming up in a couple of weeks, though we won't do amnio unless it's necessary.

By agatha on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 11:56 pm:

Good move. Tell her it helps if she can try to eat something bland first thing when she wakes up. It supposedly makes women more nauseous if they wait a while before eating anything in the mornings.

By lapis on Thursday, March 1, 2007 - 11:50 pm:

more....

i'm signed up. registering for classes next tuesday, but my old transcripts are in the mail and i've already met with an advisor about what classes to take this term. i tested out of taking reading classes at all, and any math i have to take will depend on my major. the test administrator called me a brainiac and then i ran into an old karaoke buddy i hadn't seen in four years.

possibly french 103 and writing 121. definately anthropology 102 (intro to archaeology), possibly asl 101 (if i can convince them that i'm serous enough), a dance class (either ballet or jazz) and psychology 215 (human development).

the college i'm taking classes at offers something like four different courses on the anthropology and sociology of aging, dying and post-death ritual; something to look into during a later term.

--

got a call this morning about doing itty bitty early morning shifts for ups near the airport... a good excuse, if nothing else, to ride a ten-mile round trip long before most of my peers are awake.

sprockettes is gearing up to a crazy summer. we'll be up your way, agatha, sometime in may doing a benefit for a group of doulas who work in the washington prison system. there's a blurb coming out in the next issue of bust and a short article published in today's oregonian (here). tonight my housemate and i are being interviewed for a documentary about portland's bicycle community.

i'm going to continue doing the library work as long as i am able. i love it. one thing about organizing a library, you are forced to look at all the books, not just those in your normal topics of interest. i've checked out "open sources" (full of articles about the open source revolution), a book on wildcrafting edible plants, "no logo" by naomi klein and more.

it's fantastic and exciting and i've missed the flurry of activity and energy that acadamia can create. it's amazing. i don't need to have a map or a definite idea of what will happen next, but i'm on a path and i'm examining the trees and the small plants, smelling the air and listening for the cries of birds and other animals. what's happening out there? where am i going? i feel so healthy and for the first time in what seems like forever something seems right. and it's more than the ten-or-so minutes i have now and then to show off.

By lapis on Thursday, March 1, 2007 - 11:52 pm:

anti, how's the progeny project production?

By semillama on Friday, March 2, 2007 - 01:56 pm:

Let me know how your intro to archaeology class goes.

By Karla on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 11:19 am:

There's something really inspiring about being on a college campus. A year ago, I would've never considered getting my masters. Now, I can't stop thinking about it.

By sarah on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 11:32 am:

sweet.

what do you want to get your masters in?

By lapis on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 02:42 pm:

neato. details! details!

By agatha on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 03:28 pm:

Lapis- good for you! Have you considered taking Spanish instead of French? It's more immediately useful in the US. I was thinking about your library and ways to publicize the materials more. One program that's easy to use, and you might have already considered this, is librarything. You could use it just to show what you have in your library, even if it's not the same exact edition, and refer people to the link for more information. I just started playing around with it- here's a link to my "catalog."
    http://www.librarything.com/catalog/agathafrye

I'm glad you're having such a good time in life. Keep the updates coming.

By Karla on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 04:29 pm:

If I'm crazy enough to do it, I'd get my masters in communications. That's where my intrest and aptitude lies, plus my boss has a phd in it, so she'd be a good mentor. I'm weighing the pros and cons.

Pros: 100% tuition reimbursement for up to 6 hours per semester, including books & labs
    More marketability career-wise, esp. here on campus where you can't do dick without an advanced degree
    Owning the knowledge and the sense of personal accomplishment that comes with that.
    Setting a good example for my son.

Cons: Time. Between work and family demands, I have zero spare time. I'd have to give up something (running? my son's ball games? my mother's final months of semi-lucidity? possibly some or all of the above?) I can barely get everything done now and I have a super husband who pulls his fair share and then some.
    Purpose. I'd really like to retire in 5-10 years, depending on my son's college situation. So why spend the next 2 or 3 years getting a degree that I may only use for a few years? Although, w/ a masters, I could freelance or teach part time during retirement.
    Discipline. It's not one of my strong suits. And I'm terrified of taking the GRE, particularly the math.

I wouldn't even be contemplating this if I hadn't started working at a university. Until I can puzzle it all out, I'm going to start off taking some continuing ed courses that will count toward my masters.

By lapis on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 05:09 pm:

i have a french background, having studied it on my own since i was 11, then taken classes all through high school and even one college course several years ago.

i figure i might as well renew my previous knowledge, after i'm fairly competent again i may begin a new language.

portland does have a large spanish-speaking population, as well as russian and vietnamese. there's a community of quebecois in gresham, and with the immegration resources available here there are a flurry of native speakers in a variety of languages.

library thing is neat. just looked all over the place and began an account for myself.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 6, 2007 - 12:59 pm:

I kinda figured you had some previous French, I just thought it was worth a suggestion. I didn't know about the Gresham Quebecois! That's really interesting. I wonder why Gresham?

By lapis on Tuesday, March 6, 2007 - 01:31 pm:

that's a mystery.

it seems that they came to oregon on vacations, bought second homes and proceeded to use them as first homes.

By agatha on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 - 12:03 am:

I'm feeling compelled to research that some day. Not today, though. You learn something new every day, I'm tellin ya!

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 - 03:04 am:

Well, In Chicago, we have mostly: Polish, Mexican, we have few of them that are: Chinese, Irish, German, Swedish, Czech, ,however, Mostly In northwestern Illinois is made up the most: Farmer and Amish/Menonite.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact