Mamma Bride's Tamest Bachelorette Party Ever

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Mamma Bride's Tamest Bachelorette Party Ever
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Friday, May 4, 2007 - 06:19 pm:

senor and i leave sunday for puerto rico. we're getting married on wednesday the 9th, barefoot, on the beach in front of the villa we rented.

so a couple of my friends decided i should still have a bachelorette party, despite my "condition".

we're meeting up at one of my favorite restaurants in Austin, a Brazilian restaurant called SamPaio's. a friend of mine works for the architecture firm that designed the interior (the firm is also a client of mine), so she called in a favor for reservations.

after dinner, if i'm still awake, we're going to go to the comedy club to see Pauly Shore, because, why not? beats a male stripper.

here is where we are staying in Rincon.

here is a picture of my dress.

here is the website of the photographer we hired - so that we actually get a few photos other than the usual pile of self portraits.

and yes, i'm going to change my name. weird, huh? lots of people have been asking me that question lately, and it feels like no matter what i say, it's always the wrong answer. you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, May 5, 2007 - 12:58 pm:

Never been to Puerto Rico.

By wisper on Saturday, May 5, 2007 - 06:00 pm:

oooOOOoooo have fun sarah!!!
    congrats!!
    :D

By J on Sunday, May 6, 2007 - 03:44 am:

Wow!!! What a beautiful dress,i'm so happy for you Sarah.How are you feeling now?I will be getting a new grandson any day now,I'm so excited.

By semillama on Sunday, May 6, 2007 - 05:58 pm:

One of the cool things to look forward to in Puerto Rico: Lizards.
    Lots of little lizards, and then you'll come across these huge green
    iguanas.

Other nature things of note: Look for the bananaquits - little brown
    and yellow birds, they're every where. Also look up from time to
    time and keep an eye out for Magnificent Frigatebirds - very cool
    birds.

have fun! Take lots of pictures and share some with us!

By agatha on Sunday, May 6, 2007 - 10:24 pm:

Ack, she's already gone! I hope she reports from Puerto Rico. I am having some vicarious experience stuff going on.

By Karla on Monday, May 7, 2007 - 02:48 pm:

Wow - that's my version of heaven right there. I can't wait to see photos.
    The whole name change thing was a puzzlement to me, too. I couldn't figure out how it made me more of a feminist to keep my father's name than to take my husband's. At least with his name, I got a choice in the matter.

By J on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 02:16 am:

I can't get over that dress, the girl has taste and that villa is BEAUTIFUL.Senor is a lucky,lucky,man to have hooked up with our lovely Sarah.Woo woo.

By kazu on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 11:59 am:

That's a very nice dress. I would post mine but I don't want Sem to see it.

The "husband's name" vs. "father's name" argument is bullshit. By that logic, you aren't taking your husband's name, you are taking HIS father's name. The claims that someone has to their last name shouldn't vary by gender. Therefore, when I choose to keep the last name that I've had my entire life, I am not keeping my father's last name, I am keeping MINE.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 06:42 pm:

Marci didn't take my name. Ada is taking my name. (Both were Marci's decision alone, and I'm cool with it.)

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - 07:17 pm:

I knew of a couple who appended / hyphenated each other's last names to their own, so the happy couple of Jane Smith and John Doe became Jane Smith-Doe and John Doe-Smith. I thought that was pretty gay. I don't know if they ever had kids or not.

My first wife didn't take my last name. My current wife did.

By heather on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 12:19 am:

my friends all keeping making up new last names together

i like that

By Karla on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 04:30 pm:

The point I was trying to make about father's/husband's name is that either way, it's the male name that is being propagated, so how does choosing one over the other make me more/less of a feminist? Your last name was your father's, passed along to you by cultural norms. It's commonly referred to as your "maiden" name. You can claim it as yours, but unless you pass it along to your progeny - thereby making it your family name - the gesture's really moot, IMHO.
    I like the idea of couples making up new names.

By sarah on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:41 pm:

we ended up have two weddings. one on the 9th and another one on the 10th. everything was perfect, the whole week was perfect.

the sunsets, the racket of coquis, the huge lizards everywhere, the amazing birds everywhere, the carribean waters, the friendliest locals i've *ever* met in any travels, and the muttiest dogs i've ever seen in my life wandering around everywhere. the best sex we've had yet.

it was the best. all of it.

i am feeling better. i started feeling better literally days before we left for our trip, and it just got progressively better as the week went on. the nausea is mostly gone, and in the past few days my hunger comes on like a freight train. i'm not experiencing that wild abundance of energy during the 2nd trimester yet, but i definitely have way more energy than i've had since mid February.

i'll post photos soon. it may take a week or two to get the wedding photos, but i'll post some others soon.

oh, and we won't get our marriage license in the mail for probably close to a month from now, and from what i understand, there are no legal name changes until you get that piece of paper.

love you all so much! thanks for your support and enthusiasm, it means a lot to me.

By semillama on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:42 pm:

Wow, sounds awesome! Keep us posted when you get photos up.

You know i want to hear all about the birds, of course, but also the food, and what Senor thought of the mojitos (assuming you are not partaking of alcohol and he is).

By Mrs. senor ballz on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:31 am:

senor loved the mojitos. he let me have a sip of his every now and then. it was somewhat torturous not to be able to have a few myself. senor was remarkably moderate in his alcohol intake while we were on vaction/honeymoon. perhaps if i had been able to imbibe, together we would not have been so moderate. which is weird, because have been encouraging him to do his drinking now that he has a designated driver.

i've also been encouraging him to go out a lot and see his friends and go out and see music a lot. while he still can.

as for the birds, we got really lucky. we drove through boqueron on our way from rincon to san juan, and we stopped at the salt flats. holy shit was that cool.

the salt flats are in the middle of the Cabo Rojo National Wildlife Refuge. there's a very small visitors center there, on the dirt road on the way out to El Faro.

we stopped at the visitor's center, really only to pee and see if we could get a bottle of water. we were the only people there, and from the very enthusiastic way that Jose, the center's guide, who was dressed a bit like a park ranger, greeted us, we could tell he hadn't had too many visitors.

Jose was super cool, a young kid who told us he loves working there, and he commutes an hour each way from Mayaguez because he loves his job so much. there was a film about a few of the 40,000 birds that fly through that area each year being played on a flat screen tv mounted on the wall. you could buy huge bags of very coarse, lumpy salt for $1, which i did.

Jose told us all about the birds and the refuge, then took us out back behind the visitors center to view a migrating bird who is a protected species and was nesting between two gigantic balls of salt (about 10" in diameter) at the bottom of a huge mound of salt.

he pointed it out and gave us his binoculars so we could see it better. it was a black and white owl-ish looking type of bird. he told us the name of it several times, but i didn't have my journal with me at the time (left it in the car) so i didn't write it down and can't remember. also his english pronounciation wasn't that great, so it was hard to get the name of the bird.

both senor and i have scoured the internet looking for the bird, and neither of us can find it.

anyway, we ended up hanging out there for a while and taking photos, because it turned out to be really interesting place that we just accidentally stumbled upon, on our way out to the lighthouse and the beaches at the end of the road.

By semillama on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 03:05 pm:

By sarah on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 03:10 pm:

yes!

how did you do that??

By semillama on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:51 pm:

Well, you described it as a black and white owlish-looking bird, so I figured it wasn't an owl but probably closely related, did a search for "Birds of Puerto Rico" and scanned through a taxonomic list of birds until I saw the name Potoo, remembered that it looked like an owl in how it perches, did an image search and voila!

all part of my bird-geek powers.

By kazu on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:04 am:

he even has a bird mobile now

By sarah on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 07:32 pm:

very impressive.

here are some photos we got from the wedding photographer today.

i'll post more general puerto rico pictures later.

By kazu on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 10:30 pm:

Directory Listing Denied

By mrs. ballz on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:13 am:

By mrs. ballz on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 01:05 am:

By platypus on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 01:21 am:

I want to hear more about this two weddings business. Were they offering a two for one discount, or what?

By agatha on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 05:03 pm:

"THIS PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND," BETCH! Three came up from your first posting. You look really cute and happy.

By wisper on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 08:06 pm:

lol, jumping :)

By sarah on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:19 pm:

By Karla on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:07 pm:

You look so beautiful and happy. I really like the shot of you two looking at each other. I can feel the love in that photo. I hope your bambino gets your adorable little turned up nose.

By J on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 03:40 am:

Senor Ballz and you make such a cute couple Sarah,and what Karla said about that nose.I still LOVE that dress.

By agatha on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 03:13 pm:

Awww. I like the hands.

By sarah on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 04:29 pm:

we had a lot of fun. senor is really sweet, i'm lucky.

By kazu on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 07:02 pm:

so cute!

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:35 pm:

Beautiful photos Sarah! Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful life together!

By Spider on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:45 pm:

Congratulations, Sarah! You look so serene and beautiful! Love the picture of the two of you jumping for joy.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact