fathers

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: fathers
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:41 am:

my father flew from rhode island to see my sister's baby. i hadn't seen the baby yet, so i decided to go down there, too. we all meet up in new braunfels, where my sister lives. here's what happened.

we are at my sister's house. my dad is there with his wife, who is fifteen years younger than he and the age difference really shows. we are trying to figure out how to entertain him while he's there. my sister's friend emma is there with us; she's australian and joie de vivre personified. she asks my father, in her australian accent:

"so do you like live music?"

"no"

"do you like spending time out in the country or maybe on the river?"

"no"

"do you like shopping or antiquing?"

"no"

"well, aren't you mr. sourpuss!"

later on my sister is making some stuff to nibble on. she is making jalapeno poppers, which is where you split a jalapeno pepper in half, fill it with cream cheese, wrap it in bacon, and then bake it. my father's wife - jane - is in the kitchen helping her. when my sister takes out the cream cheese, jane says:

"your father won't eat it if it has cream cheese in it."

"since when?"

"as long as i've known him. he just won't eat it. tell him it's something else."

"like what?"

"just tell him it's cheese."

"fine"

"and don't tell him it's made with jalapeno. tell him it's just a pepper - to your dad, bell pepper is the only pepper in the world."

so my sister finishes the poppers and sets the plate down on the table. my father picks one up, examines it, then says:

"what's in it?"

"it's just a pepper with cheese in it."

"what kind of cheese?"

"just cheese. white cheese."

my father tries the popper. he likes it and proceeds to eat 15 of the 18 poppers on the plate.

the next night we're at a restaurant. my sister says:

"dad, try the pork chops here, they're excellent."

"i don't eat pork chops."

"really? the fish is good, too."

"i don't eat fish, either."

"didn't we used to eat fish in rhode island?"

"i can't remember. but i don't eat it now."

"all right, jeez. how 'bout a steak?"

my father orders a steak and salad. he elected to bring the wine, which was two bottles of chianti for him and a single bottle of cabernet for the rest of us (4 people). when my father gets his steak, he starts inhaling it in record time: shoving forkfuls in his mouth and then washing it down with chianti. about halfway through the meal, he starts gagging. we are outside on a porch, so he gets up and leans over the railing making wretching noises.

"you all right, dad?"

"fine, fine."

then he walks to the far end of the porch and leans over the railing again trying to throw up.

"is he all right jane?"

"they may have to stretch his throat again."

"what?"

"his throat gets narrow. once before he had to have an operation where they stuck an expander down his throat to stretch it back to normal size. What usually sets him off is when he eats steak."

By Nate on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:51 am:

what the fuck. i'm sorry, droop. that sounds like shit-all.

on a side note, i want to find a girl who is joie de vivre personified and fuck her in the mouth.

but that's just me.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:14 am:

just shove the steak down joie de vivre's throat!

By Nate on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:29 am:

go fuck yourself.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:06 pm:

nate, go nate yourself.

By wisper on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:58 pm:

you gotta admit, that was a pretty good comeback.

By Nate on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:13 pm:

was it? i nate myself frequently. maybe obsessively.

my grave marker should be a stone carving of a waste bin full of crumpled paper towels. the legend to read: "he sure did a lot of nating."

By Spider on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 05:32 pm:

Droopy, how did your dad and his wife meet?

He sounds like a character in a British sitcom.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:25 am:

she worked at the same bank as my father. i actually like jane, and she's more intelligent than i probably made her sound in that post.

i really can't imagine my father british. to be honest - between my rhode island redneck father and being in a wheelchair, i probably missed my calling as a scriptwriter for "family guy".

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:16 am:

Not that he seems British, but that he seems like the kind of character that features heavily in British sitcoms -- the prickly and unsympathetic guys that are routinely made to look like fools.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:16 am:

That sounds harsher than I intend it to. Sorry.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:47 am:

don't be sorry. nate doesn't need to be sorry. my sister and i had been laughing about this over the weekend.

deep down, there's something i never much liked about british comedy. i think the root of british comedy is to make *them* a laughing stock and making us feel better for laughing at them to disassociate ourselves with the foolish or the flawed. when i think of my father, i'm more in a samuel beckett sort of mode. i revel in the absurdity.

By wisper on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:52 am:

is it possible for *me* to nate myself?

By Nate on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 05:06 am:

i would imagine so. you can probably get away with nating yourself in places where i'd get arrested for even miming a good nate.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact