2010 A New Year!

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: 2010 A New Year!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 01:37 pm:

Wishing you all sorabjite a new year.

By Danielssss on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 01:19 am:

wellat least 2009 is over. only a few more years before the lights go out.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 02:47 pm:

Whadda ya mean? "only a few more years before the lights go out?"

By Danielsgoat on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 03:30 pm:

we will run out of fossil fuel. plastics, electricity. grid will come down. only third world people in a temperate zone will persevere. just a matter of time.

look around you just this moment: without oil, what in your sight that is plastic will cease to be manufactured. Just answer that: scary enough.

Not gloom and doom, on the contrary, a call to action.

2010 might be a good year to buy less oil, gas, plastic. To buy nothing that comes in a non recuyclable container. To get nothing in styrofoam. To purchase food grown locally. To grow your own.

2010 might be a good year to invest only in renewable energy sources and not the stock market at all. Unless you are a banker, you are not benefitting from any bailouts, are you?

If no electricity, then no one can file for unemployment or food stamps, since it is required to do so online. And on line wll be going out of business.

Always save the last gallon of gas for self immolation.

let's be realistic. humans have outlived their useful expectancy and certainly their reason if they had any at all.

By Antigone on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 03:38 pm:

Nuclear.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 07:11 pm:

well, danielgoat, I have noticed that the store do collect plastic bag as for recycle, right? but it did went to the landfill. no question.

Do you know what I hated the most? the plastic cover where you buy, video dvd or, cellular phone. or things that hard to cut to open to take the products out.

As for my employment, gonna be a hard year possible.

Few of people in my neighbor are moving out? loss of job or possiblity.

Last night I downloaded this survival book in case of nuclear , that Antigone mentioned. here is the link for survival book to take a course on survival.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-76-1/index.html and then click on pdf to download.

Ok? hope all is well....

By Spider on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 09:23 pm:

Nucular.

By on Sunday, January 3, 2010 - 11:17 pm:

Nudeclear....

By Danielssssgoat on Monday, January 4, 2010 - 01:02 pm:

Nuklular: not bad if we would reprocess the waste in to useful medical isotopes, then we westerners would not have to buy them from outside the country. As it is, we create the waste move it around and store it in leaky containers to rot the world for another 600,000,000 years, contaminating much. If the goat interprets Obama's plan correctly, he would have the US recycle the waste which makes sense.

But given the effects of Chernobyl--even though our facitlities are allegedly safer---I would rather develop wind and solar and kick nuke to the side.

Can't mistake solar panels for sunspot weaponry...

By Mtjames on Monday, January 4, 2010 - 02:54 pm:

wow! discovered Lucy and developed nuclear waste
    containment solutions. that leaky was something else.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 01:21 am:

Danielssssgoat;I have heard that solar energy are about to get popular soon. will this absorb greenhouse gas? Just asking.

By J on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 01:43 am:

I have gas Dan,will this solar energy absorb it? These tums aren't cutting the mustard.

By heather on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 05:00 am:

Will humanity escape?! Tune in next time...

By Danielssss on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 12:38 pm:

You'll need a big sponge like an ocean to store as much greenhouse emissions as this place has. Cut out the mustard and stick to jalapenos. Solar energy won't make many carbon emissions I think. Wind won't either. Perhaps in the making of plastic or composite propellers, or in the manufacture of solar panels, there would be emissions. But the energy source would be clean. Can't say that for coal or nukes.

So it is "cold and getting colder" according to the news the governments of the world want us to hear. It's 8 above here, but sunny and clear.

Where is the conspiracy in all this? Oil is dirty, coal is dirty, both take tons of energy to process into something useable. And Bush and company profit. China's waters are proof that we are letting them do our dirty manufacturing.

Buy local. Buy only local. Though the thing on which I am writing this likely is full of non local parts, is mostly plastic and silicon, and mostly certainly is monitored by Big Brother.

Al? AlSharpton? Are you out there?

Heather, 5:00 am??? Are you serious? I have two tickets out of here. Do you think third world countries will need a meditating architect? They certainly won't need an old broken down addict turned counselor, so I am going to go undercovers. Speaking of covers, One of my favorite books right now is James Austen's Selfless Insight, which details the neurology of the brain and perception along with zen meditation. Austen is both a medical doctor and a practicing meditator. Ah the silence of winter. Home alone again. goddam goat is in the tropics.

What books would you take?

By sarah on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 03:38 pm:

jitterbug perfume
    girlfriend in a coma
    the last samurai
    the ground beneath her feet
    the love poems of rumi
    webster's encyclopedic unabridged dictionary
    fox in sox

By sarah on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 03:40 pm:

and in case you hadn't heard, brad graham died yesterday, apparently of natural causes.

he was a friend of mine.

By Antigone on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 06:57 pm:

Your fear of nuclear waste and russian power plants is
    unwarrented. Please educate yourself.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - 11:39 pm:

With all due respect tiggy, Tell me what I am missing.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/spring2007.html

Pripyat, a former bustling Ukrainian city of 50,000, was evacuated in a few days, and those 50,000 people died in the next two months...from a failed reactor.

Waste here in the US is not recycled into safe materials as it is abroad. Waste here in the US is not safe, even if it is shoved into the desert caverns and sacred lands of its first peoples.

I am more afraid of russian power plants, any countries nuclear program except perhaps the US and France, which these two countries have lulled their peoples into complacent acceptance that the plants are safe.

I remember three mile island. I was there in New York, likely before some proponents of nukes were born. I live down wind in a fallout pattern from the Callaway Nuclear facility today.

It has a life expectancy that will expire yet in my lifetime. I voted against it, as did most of the consumers of Ameren Union Elecctric, operators and benefactors of callaway. It was repeatedly turned down in the PSU committe meetings. A large hydro facility, certainly outddated but a hellava lot safer, was retired to a back up status, and Callaway proceeded without voter approval to be built, without regard to disposal of its future waste.

All Akbar needs is a small plane and directions to the nearest cooling plant to experience Chernobyl in his backyard.

ever hear anyone sabotaging solar panels and irradiating 50, 000 people at once? Nope.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 12:40 am:

a small plane hitting a modern nuclear power plant has an insignificant chance of causing some kind of nuclear disaster.

modern nuclear power plants are not susceptible to the kinds of meltdowns experienced by the reactors at three mile island or chernobyl.

nuclear waste is an easily contained solid. you make it sound like it is some sort of green goo that could seep out of containment. all you have to do is put it in a lead lined box.

the production of electricity is the #1 largest producer of airborne pollution (greenhouse gases). if it weren't for anti-nuclear fear-mongering in the 70s, we would have a near-zero carbon footprint electrical production system today.

"ever hear anyone sabotaging solar panels and irradiating 50,000 people at once? Nope."

i've never heard of anyone sabotaging a nuclear power plant and irradiating 50,000 people, either. you make points like dick cheney.

i had a dream last night that tiggy had grown his hair out, and it looked good. i was jealous.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 01:20 am:

Nate, there was talk of terrorist targeting the nuclear plants, but the government DOES NOT wants us to know about it.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 02:23 am:

they can target nuclear power plants all they want. it would take a shit ton of explosives, which would both be hard for a terrorist to acquire and hard for a terrorist to deliver. you can't just drive up to a nuclear power plant. you can't fly over a nuclear power plant. an F-16 can shoot down anything a terrorist might be able to hijack in the air.

you would need a direct, penetrating hit with a lot of explosive punch to cause a nuclear disaster. it just isn't a likely scenario.

but hell, let's keep burning all that coal. mountains don't need their tops. people don't need clean water.

a coal fired plant disperses radioactive material into the air. radiation in the atmosphere, thanks to the common sense lacking, fear mongering hippies.

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 02:25 am:

Thanks, Nate, you saved me a lot of time. :) And
    my hair has grown out, but just because my barber
    had a flood due to a burst pipe. If I stay in
    town this weekend it's all coming off.

Daniel, here's some light reading:
    http://nucleargreen.blogspot.com/

It's my uncle's blog. I'll refer back to it in a
    second.

So, did you know that your average coal plant puts
    more radiation into the atmosphere per year than
    three mile island did in it's single accident?

Did you know there are massive costs and pitfalls
    to wind and solar generation? Neither is anywhere
    near ready to provide reliable electricity at a
    price that's anywhere near acceptable. (Even with
    massive government subsidy.)

Anyway, while light water reactors are the current
    mainstream nuclear generation technology, there
    are viable and better alternatives: pebble bed,
    fast breeder, and my uncle's favorite - liquid
    fluoride thorium reactor. There was a recent
    Wired article about the last one:
    linky

So, get reading...

By heather on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 04:19 am:

I'd rather go undercovers. Who wants to come?

By Danielssss on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 12:11 pm:

I would never think coal an alternative.

I know a little about lead lined pits or canisters, living within some 25 miles of Weldon Springs (radioactive) remedial site.

Is three mile island the US' only nuclear accident? Granted operator error is significantly a factor in mechanized computer driven systems.

I suppose the Saudi's couldn't commandeer another 747 and fly into a no fly zone over a rural reactor. Hey it's only cows and corn that will glow.

Since age 5 when assailed by news clips of nuclear testing and blowdown, which still haunt my dreams today, more than 53 years later, I have been intrigued by nuclear incidents. But alas, I am an old hippy, and a trigger happy pacifist one, at that, who remains convinced that small scale hydroelectric power (without enormous dams and ecological damages) is one of the most desireable alternatives. Power to and from the local cooperatives!!! Let california and New York find their own way to get power and quit siphoning it from the rest of the country.

I do believe that oeither Antigone or I could load a 55 foot van full of innocuous explosive flowers and easily and without interception could drive directly to the loading dock at Callaway's facility. There are more safeguards for riverboats running into the arch here, and more cement bunkers around the unemployment office.

Thanks for the references. Got anything that's not propaganda? and or leaked into the internet from the military industrial oil frenzied western corporate positions?

Always up for going undercovers. I 'll bring the Rumi, chai, and survival manuals.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 12:48 pm:

your uncle is so prolific, very impressive.

interesting article in wired too.

reading that stuff makes me hate my job.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 06:02 pm:

coal, largely, has been the alternative. coal and
    petrochemicals.

since anything that doesn't line up with your held, emotional
    beliefs is, to you, propaganda, there is no discussion here.
    see ya at the tea party.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 09:03 pm:

on the contrary: I think Anti's references are just as valid as science on the other side of the question.

I think the question is that I and my views are being equated with sentimental ill informed and now emotional beliefs that are incorrect to the facts.

Your facts and opinions and my facts and opinions are both arguable. My side is every bit as propaganda-ish as what purports to be and reads like a well thought out researched piece albeit opinions in blog different from my own. Mr. Burton has raised some significant questions which already the other side has countered quite believeably.

And I will be hoisting the main sails at any tea party to which I am invited. I still like heather's idea though.

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 - 10:41 pm:

Barton.

The difference is that the technology to make
    nuclear viable exists today. Even light water
    reactors would solve the energy problem just fine.

However, this is not true of wind and solar, as
    much as I'd like that to be the case. Trust me,
    it took my uncle years to finally convince me. It
    boils down to two things:

1) Wind and solar are unreliable

They only produce while the wind blows and the sun
    shines. Energy storage mechanisms, whether
    mechanical or chemical, are both expensive and
    decrease efficiency drastically...efficiency which
    is already far lower than all other alternatives.
    This leads to...

2) Wind and solar are too expensive

Wide adoption of either would require massive,
    untested infrastructure known as the "smart grid."
    It would require expensive, yet to be invented
    storage mechanisms. It would require government
    support greater than that presently enjoyed by the
    coal and gas industries. And should I reiterate
    that universal adoption isn't even possible with
    existing technology? Universal adoption of wind
    and/or solar would require more wealth, in terms
    of infrastructure development, technology
    development, and land use, than currently exists
    in the whole planet. I kid you not.

Look, I'm quite sympathetic to renewables. I plan
    on one day putting panels on my house. My father
    in law has a place in the country with a creek
    that would be perfect for low yield hydro-electric
    generation. Renewable options are tenable on
    small scales but when you scale them up they end
    up breaking the very principles on which they're
    founded: low resource usage, specifically land use
    and materials use. Sure, the mechanical/chemical
    forces that produce the power in the end are
    renewable, but you've got to spend an awful lot to
    get to the point where you're generating power.
    (And then you've got to MAINTAIN that
    infrastructure, which is something most renewable
    advocates conveniently ignore in their cost
    models.)

Anyway, all argument is moot. Eventually the oil
    and gas will run out, and there won't be nearly
    the energy available to build the infrastructure
    necessary for renewables to "work." Nuclear and
    coal will be all that's left, and hopefully the
    prospect of making 20% of the planet into one big
    strip mine won't be an option to most folks.

By Antigone on Thursday, January 7, 2010 - 03:09 am:

Just read
    this post.

By Danielssss on Thursday, January 7, 2010 - 01:43 pm:

thanks for your info, and this sort of dialog is important I think. I get on my high horse and want to be right. My ex works at times for the coal industry. She also represented the defendants at Times Beach, the dioxin tainted town that we incinerated just upwind of the stl metro area. So perhaps my limited view questions if the low water reactors are fact or just still on the drawing board, making them as risky and unreliable as solar or wind. I would dispute the costs and carbon footprint of any system, but I don't have access to any real data. I agree with you about the inability once oil runs out to develop any new systems, and agree with you that strip mining is a cancer.

It is cold here today. I heat with propane and electric. I took out my wood burners even though they were vermont castings high efficiency and low polluters. I have no running water on the property for hydro. But I grew up with hydro in the mountains of the east coast and upstate NY.

Thanks for the post, I will need to get back to it later today. Going off line for the day so that myboos can use my laptop.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, January 7, 2010 - 03:06 pm:

Antigone, your link seems to be broken.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, January 7, 2010 - 10:10 pm:

Antigone... ah never mind, but very interesting articles and videos.

By Antigone on Saturday, January 9, 2010 - 10:11 pm:

It keeps inserting line breaks into my links. Not
    sure why. Check out the "The Renewables Myth #1, A
    response to Lou Gronoz" post on my uncle's blog.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact