thanksgiving

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: thanksgiving
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Agatha on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 03:52 am:

here are the items i am cooking for tomorrow.

1. corn pudding. white trash heaven. my friend is making the green bean casserole with the crispy dehydrated onions to fit with the theme.
    2. spinach sauteed with olive oil and garlic.
    3. vegetable pot pie with tofu and nutritional yeast gravy. sounds gross, but it is amazingly good.
    4. beer cheese. this is an appetizer to complement the white trash corn pudding. you actually mix it with your hands.
    5. hot mustard dip over cream cheese, served with crackers. see above.
    6. chocolate mousse pie.
    7. mint juleps.

how about you?

By cyst on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 05:21 am:

I used to eat beer cheese in prague. fucking yum. it's like a spread, and it has lots of garlic in it. I think.

I'm bringing squash soup to thanksgiving. I make up the recipe.

I took a butternut squash, and I cored and diced it. same with two granny smith apples. I cooked the squash and apples on med-high heat for about half an hour with some milk and butter. I put it in the food processor till it was an even consistency. then I added salt, curry, cinnamon and nutmeg. I forgot to use any onion. it tastes pretty good, though. and it should go well with cold turkey sandwiches.

By Sheila on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 12:10 pm:

1. pie

2. more pie

3. extra pie, just in case

By cyst on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 12:21 pm:

my mom just called and asked if I wanted her to get any ingredients for anything, so I listed off the panettone stuff. can't wait.

an earthquake woke me up at 7 a.m. today. it was a baby one, just 3 something, centered halfway between here and salem. I resisted the urge to call my one friend ("did you just feel that?") whose number I have memorized because the phone in my room is a rotary dial and I was too tired to fuck with it.

the thanksgiving earthquake. thanks a lot.

By agatha on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 12:53 pm:

beer cheese

8 oz hard white cheese (colby, monterrey jack)
    8 oz hard orange cheese (cheddar)
    1/2 cup beer
    1/2 cup softened margarine
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    dash hot sauce
    3 dashes each celery seeds and dill seeds
    2 cups chopped walnuts
    parsley or cilantro (optional)

measure out the beer, then pour the remaining beer into a glass and drink it as you work. grate the cheeses. in a large bowl, cream together the cheeses, beer, and margarine until it is a large mess, about the consistency of strawberry preserves. add the garlic, hot sauce, and seeds and mix with a spoon or rubber spatula. pack into crocks or coffee cups, top with walnuts and parsley or cilantro, and serve chilled. you can also roll into a log and coat with walnuts.

beer cheese. mmmm.

By agatha on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 12:54 pm:

that soup sounds good. maybe you should add a little coconut milk, that would probably be yummy.

By grandpa dolemite on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 02:35 pm:

my mom is a culinary artist. every meal is a tour
    de force.
    this is what "turkey day" is like when you're
    straight outta georgetown (guyana):

1. pepper pot
    2. garlic pork
    3. escovitch
    4. jerk chicken
    5. pork tenderloin medallions w/ jerk sauce
    6. shrimp and crabmeat curry w/ cassava roti
    w/ mango achar
    w/ lemon achar
    7. seasoned kale w/ garbonzo, bacon, dried shrimp
    8. apple pie a la mode

dad forgot to buy the beer yesterday, but i found
    a case of El Dorado 20 year old Demarara Rum in
    the basement.

it's gonna be a happy thanksgiving.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 03:20 pm:

Let me tear myself away from my beloved, good-natured, saintly family and fill you in:

1. Mushrooms stuffed with spinach or crab
    2. Tortellini soup
    3. Eggplant parmesan
    4. Another vegetable (asparagus, maybe? I didn't see)
    5. Spinach salad

and the traditional

4. Turkey w/ stuffing, of course
    5. My aunt's family-renowned sweet potato pie

6. Dessert -- I don't know what. No pumpkin pie, though, because none of us like it.

They're all having hors d'oeuvres (or whatever)
    downstairs....I can hear them from here. *sigh*

My mother found this strange Italian cheese (it begins with a C)...it's so good. It's not sweet, but it leaves a sweet "echo" in your mouth. You know what I mean? Like it makes your mouth feel sweet. I could eat the whole wheel.

My dad got me some mead. Yay!

By NZAngel on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 10:16 pm:

you people are sick.

real cheddar cheese is not orange, its yellow.

only smoked cheese is orange.

and colby and monterey aren't white, they're yellow too, just a different shade and texture.

what they hell do they feed to cows to make white and orange cheese?!

yuck

By hydrozoa on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 11:49 pm:

my family had the most american thansgiving spread i had ever seen.

turkey
    stuffing
    gravy
    canned cranberry sauce
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes with brown sugar
    yams with whiskey sauce
    zucchini and carrots
    green beans and bacon
    caesar salad
    butter rolls
    wine
    martinelli's
    cheesecake
    brownies
    cherry, apple, pumpkin, and chocolate cream pie

you'd think we were from nebraska.

By Gee on Thursday, November 25, 1999 - 11:59 pm:

I'm so jealous. I haven't eaten anything all day and now I see this. curse you all.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 11:23 am:

My uncle made an awesome apple pie...really deep with phenomenal crust. He also made a pumpkin cheesecake, which -- although none of us like pumpkin, and pumpkin cheesecake doesn't immediately strike one as a good idea -- was remarkably delicious.

The dinner conversation was also good. We invited old friends of my parents...the man is from Spain and probably insane. He's hilarious. His wife and sister-in-law also came, and the sister-in-law is an archaeologist who studies colonial activity in the Philadelphia area. I eavesdropped on the neat conversation she was having with my aunt and uncle, who live in an 18th century farm-house and who have traced the ownership of their land back to William Penn in the 1600s. When they were doing renovations on their house a few summers ago, they found buttons and eating utensils in the earth in their back yard that were dated back to before the Revolutionary War. But now their house is situated right on a highway that is planning to add 2 more lanes in the next 5 years, and they don't really know what's going to happen to their house. Plus, in the 1950s, people made a big addition to the house which "violated its integrity" or something like that, so it's ineligible to be placed on the registry for national historic landmarks. It's a nice house. Haunted, but even the spirits are nice.

By Nate on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 12:25 pm:

wtf do you need to do to get invited to the swine family thanksgiving?

our thanksgiving started as usual: the night before the men of the family got really drunk, let the turkey go in the back yard, and then we chased it about, ripped it's head off, and cleaned it in a flurry of feather and gore.

the women, inside, barefoot and gravid, made pies galore while sipping hot toddies and addressing the external mayhem with points and giggles.

spattered with blood and down we reentered the abode, turkey slung from a branch carried by all and victorious song from our throats. the dogs licked the blood from our clothes, and soon cleaned we settled down to an evening of bourbon and fistfights.

i lost three teeth. my brother lost an eye ("that's why god gives us two", he laughed)

before retiring for the night the children fashioned the "thankgiving box" from wing and tail feathers, and placed the turkey head within. waking in the morning we found that the great turkey spirit had taken the head and replaced it with tasty treats for all: pickled pigs feet and greek olives, pimento creamcheese and crisp fried ape hair.

breakfast beer in hand, the men went to the ol' cow pond to take a frosty pre-dawn dip through a hole cut in the ice. we then sacraficed a tofurkey in effigy: a prayer burned to the gods of carne in hopes that the misguided might return to the table of flesh.

meanwhile the women prepared the meal. we ate hungrily, and slept for a week and a day (dog-time.)

By MapleLeaf on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 12:34 pm:

Egad!!!! Good thing Thanksgiving only happens once a year.

And what do you do to celebrate Hallowe'en?

By Hayden on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 02:48 pm:

We ate the usual and talked about all my grandma's neighbors' medical conditions, politics, and crime. I've discovered that a really good way to minimize my participation in these conversations is to eat my food really fast and get up to "help out" by cleaning the kitchen and washing dishes as people finish. Then I look like I'm doing everybody a favor when I really just want to get away from them. Hah!

By Isolde on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 04:30 pm:

We had a bunch of people over who smoke. The asthma prevented me from partaking in the surely deep after-dinner conversation. Took the vodka with me.

By simon on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 05:53 pm:

wtf do you need to do to get invited to the nate family thanksgiving?

By cyst on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 05:54 pm:

what did you all do the day after thanksgiving?

I went out to yamhill county and stopped at vineyards out there in the hills. I stood out in the sunshine and tried 18 wines. I got drunk. I don't usually get drunk at noon, and now I know why. it isn't sustainable.

it's 2:49 p.m. I want to get drunk tonight, and now I'm not sure what to do. I could take a nap, drink more alcohol or try drinking coffee or something. the pecan pie isn't helping anything.

By Isolde on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 06:24 pm:

That was quick, cyst...It's raining. I was going to go to the beach and do..whatever it is one does on a beach..probably wonder around and think about the universe and life in general. Instead I'm sitting here reading a book. and pecan pie? Take a nap, and then drink some more.

By semillama on Saturday, November 27, 1999 - 01:55 pm:

thanksgiving at the Griswolds:

turkey
    sweet potatoes with crushed almond and brown sugar topping
    Lumpy mashed potatoes
    succotash (mm, mm!)
    meat stuffing
    stovetop stuffing
    dirty rice
    buns
    cranberry sauce
    pumpkin pie
    pecan pie
    wine
    beer

later, at my friends place: kaya kaya kaya

My friend the Naked Accordian player is in town. Tonight we have fun!

By grandpa dolemite on Saturday, November 27, 1999 - 06:22 pm:

"sufferin' succotash!!!"

didn't daffy duck used to say that a lot?

i always wondered what "succotash" was. i would've
    never imagined it was anything edible. what's in
    "succotash", anyway?

invites to thanksgiving are handled by my mom.
    this year our table was graced by two old ladies
    who are both last surviving members of their
    respective families. B is an old jewish widow
    whose husband was an anthro professor and a friend
    of my dad's. she taught me some yiddish profanity
    and sang the ella parts to my louis armstrong when
    i put on "ella fitzgerald and louis armstrong:
    compact jazz". she's a lot of fun. especially when
    she gets all hopped up on rum punch and champagne.
    H is a retired biology professor who apparently
    prefers reggae to jazz. she didn't utter a peep
    when ella and louis were doing their thing, but
    when i spun Bob Marley's "Songs of Freedom", she
    was all over it. she kept rocking back and forth
    singing, "doot-doo-doot-doo! we jammin'!"
    even though the song sounds nothing like that and
    i never played that track, anyway. she's a radical
    freestyler. you can't fuck with H. the woman's got
    juice.

By Nate on Sunday, November 28, 1999 - 12:13 am:

succotash is just veggies. lima beans and corn or carrots and crap or something.

we had roast beef for dinner tonight. i always thought a seven bone had seven bones in it. my mom pointed out where i went wrong.

i've had the most incredible gas i can ever remember having. serious 30-45 second blasts. pfthbbhbbbhbbthbbbbtthbhbthhbhbhhbhbhhhbbbhbhththbhtbhhbhbhthbhtbhthbhtbhthbhtb.

it numbs the rectum. it's incredible. it's one of those things you can do in a grocery store and instead of being disgusted people ask you if you're ok.

which you have to respond "i'm not sure," or else they become disgusted. either that or scream something novel and run away.

CHALUPA!

By cyst on Sunday, November 28, 1999 - 12:16 pm:

nouvelle southern cuisine or whatever is popular in portland right now.

there are a dozen places to choose from where you can have northwest-raised white folks make you beans and rice, biscuits and gravy, mac and cheese, succotash, jumbalaya, a po' boy sammich, stewed okra, shrimp creole and pecan pie.

I can't say that this trend bothers me in the slightest.

By Antigone on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 01:45 am:

Stewed okra: slimiest concoction on the planet, bar none. It is truely the bile of the vegetable dish world. Tasty, though. But I like mine fried.

Okra also happens to be a recommended vegetable in the diet of captive iguanas, which makes sense because okra originated in West Africa.

Okra.
    Okra.
    Okra.

By Nate on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 11:19 am:

i'm nutty about pickled okra.

NUTTY!

By Droopy on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 11:51 am:

i loves 'em, too. best thing to happen to okra since

well, nothing.

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 12:40 pm:

sorry but west coasters don't know a god damn thing bout southern cooking, it's just not right, LA is on that tip as well, and I have tried them for i miss my grandmother's cooking...they all suck, crunchy green beans, i have been told i need to go to watts and compton for REAL soul food.......my mom used to make succotash, corn and limas, it's good, it's a good combo....

i missed my grandmothers cooking this holiday......

fried chicken,
    honey glazed ham
    turkey
    home grown green beans,
    squash
    broccoli casserole
    three bean salad
    chicken and dumplings
    biscuts (no bisquick shit either)
    greens
    rice and gravy (the real gravy, left overs from the chicken pan)
    black eyed peas
    homegrown cucumbers soaked in vinegar
    all with ample amounts of home grown hot pepper juice

(sigh)

By J on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 01:02 pm:

My husbands home today,but is at the Dr.,right now.I,ll post some recipes from my past.Did anyone ever try to make my fried chicken when I posted it? You should have.

By Czarina on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

Okra------- Not sure Mother Nature ever intended
    this as a food source-------You can have it 2 ways---------hairy-------or slimey-------both yuck!!! But its a big favorite here in the south,
    of course, they also eat nutra rat and black bird jambalya, well, pretty much anything that walks,
    flys, slithers or crawls into the yard is considered dinner here,but armidillo is a big no-no, they carry leprosy, fortunately we have one of the 3 remaining leper colonies in the world here in Lousiana, actually, they tried to close it last year, but some of the lepers won't leave, I guess "home is where the heart is", and they don't
    make them stay there, leprosy can be treated now with medication, but I think after being there so long,some just don't want to leave.

By J on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 01:17 pm:

I,m glad to see you here,Czarina,I might call you tomorrow and cry onyour shoulder.

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 01:22 pm:

pay no mind to her, Lousiana, though it's in the south, is a unique exception, as is Mississippi, they have confirmed that living at or below sea level can alter the behavior of said peoples.....the original south, (i.e. the south colonized by the original settlers albeit not bought from the FRENCH!!!!) would have nothing to do with eating vermin, armadillo aren't even native to the orginal 13 colonies.......

well I DECLARE!!!!!!!

By J on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 01:26 pm:

Those cajuns are crazy.

By Czarina on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 02:08 pm:

One time a friend here called to invite me to dinner, being no fool, I asked what was on the menu, she had just brewed up a "tasty" pot of debri, needless to say I passed on the invite! I once saw in the local grocery store, a 5# box of chicken feet, no legs or meat on them, just feet with toenails on them, I was so disgusted, I didn't even ask the butcher what someone would do with 5#'s of feet, but should have asked, because today this question still plagues me!
    Call me I will be home tomorrow, I'm hiding from the hospt., I've been working too much!

By Nate on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 03:25 pm:

i'll try anything edible.

and okra kicks ass.

By Czarina on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 04:34 pm:

Have you ever eaten chicken feet? And if so, how were they prepared?

By Nate on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 05:03 pm:

i never have. but i would.

i think the oddest thing i've eaten is the awaebi leftovers (heads) deep fried.

By Rhiannon on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 05:09 pm:

Are those fish heads?

The strangest thing I've ever eaten is squirrel. Which isn't strange. Or baked radicchio, which isn't strange, either, but still sickening.

I've watched people eat snails and raw eggs (not at the same time). Does that count?

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 05:21 pm:

i have seen those, my wife's coworkers tried to get me to eat the head at this sushi place we went to. It's was deep fried like a potato chip,

the japanese are often very boyish when it comes to eating crap like that.....it's sorta of a dare situation. they are always disapointed when I am a hard ass, if it doesn't look appealing to my eyes first, it's not gonna go down well........

By Nate on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 05:29 pm:

shrimp heads. shrimp heads are about the size of your fist.

with legs.

the eyes look like the blueberries that come with packaged blueberry muffin mix.

it is crunchy, and not unlike porkrinds.

except inside the head. full of grey-green paste.

the vegetarians at the table, who i had hoped would be disgusted, cheered and laughed.

fock.

By Rhiannon on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 06:09 pm:

Shrimp heads the size of your fist? I'm disgusted just thinking about it. What did you do...pick them up and eat them like an apple?

By Nate on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 06:37 pm:

kind of.

it was a shock to discover that a shrimp with an inch long tail has a six inch long head.

but really, it's not bad.

By heather on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 07:01 pm:

liar

By Nate on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 07:11 pm:

?

sushi much?

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 07:37 pm:

i think she was referring to your prince albert, if not I AM !

By Gee on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 10:53 pm:

The weirdest thing I've ever eaten is...I guess pickles and ice cream. Or ice cream and french fries. That's not so weird compared to you guys.

With pickles and ice cream, they have to be dill pickles and the ice cream has to be vanila. It takes practice to learn how to measure the bites of pickle and scoops of ice cream properly. If you do it right, you shudder every time. It's really neat.

With ice cream and fries, they're best with McDonald's fries (canadian, not american. they taste pretty different.) and again, vanilla ice cream. Or whatever it was they had at McDonald's. It wasn't ice cream, it was...Ice milk! That's what it was. I used to get an ice cream (ice milk) cone and small fries and dip the fries into the ice cream. It was really really good.

By cyst on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 11:15 pm:

I love dipping wendy's fries in a frostie. yum.

By Czarina on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 12:29 am:

I know this sushi bar where they had live sea urchins, and they would let them crawl around on the bar, and you could pick or catch your own to snack on. Well, at the time I had 2 saltwater aquariums, and being the animal lover I am , hated the thought of these beauties ending up in someones belly, so would buy them "to go", and bring them home and add them to my aquariums, although, one of my tanks had aggressive fish and they ended up getting eaten anyway, but the ones in the other tank survived. So I'm not sure if I did the right thing or not-------guess maybe I should contact Greenpeace, and see if they have a "Save the urchins chapter".

By cyst on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 10:30 am:

I've been told that sea urchins take 20 years to mature. we were supposed to be very careful not to step on them at the tidepools.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 11:21 am:

mmm... sea urchins are good. like custard.

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 12:36 pm:

Gee are you pregnant or is the depo, pickles and ice cream is supposed to be a delectable for pregnant women

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 12:48 pm:

Patrick..... she's practicing!!!!!!!

By J on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 01:09 pm:

When I was pregnant I craved avocados and buttermilk and noodles with butter,I don,t know why.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 02:17 pm:

salty and vanilla icecream kicks ass.

i like to dip my fries in my shake.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 04:02 pm:

*pfft*

My L7 mother used to do the whole fries/vanilla shake combo thingy back in the '50s...let that be a testament to how un-wild it is.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 04:05 pm:

(Should that have been "testimony" and not "testament"? I always get those mixed up.)

By Gee on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 03:51 am:

Thanks for raining on my parade Rhiannon. You cad!

pickles and ice cream as pregnancy food is a sterotype. I've never known a pregnant person who craved really weird things. Most of them seem to want something normal a Lot. One time when my mother was pregnant she was really into burritos.

I will say one thing about the depo, though: I think it's dampened my sex drive.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 03:51 am:

MapleLeaf, do you go to school? If so, where?

By MapleLeaf on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 10:18 am:

No..I don't go to school..finished that a long time ago. now working for Provincial government in downtown Toronto ... live in Burlington.

Girl!!!.you keep weird hours.

What school are you at and what are you taking?

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 10:20 am:

I think MapleLeaf has graduated and works a full time job,graduated from college.

By Agatha on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 12:15 pm:

i craved spinach and this ethiopian dish called foul (pronounced "fool"). i have to go get ready for work.

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 12:31 pm:

They have food in Ethiopia?

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 01:24 pm:

I thought ascites was the main fare in Ethopia!

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 01:38 pm:

What is an ascite?

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 02:33 pm:

ascites is a reaction of the liver, causing abdominal distention, which is why all of those poor children we see on tv have such swollen abdomens, from starvation. Yet I once volunteered to go to Africa as a nurse, but was informed they didn't want nurses, just MONEY.

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 02:55 pm:

Why am I not suprised,they should be ashamed of themselves for passing you down.It,s for the best though I,m sure they wouldn,t have the kind of malls we like there.

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 02:56 pm:

Why am I not suprised,they should be ashamed of
    themselves for passing you down.It,s for the best
    though I,m sure they wouldn,t have the kind of
    malls we like there.

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 02:57 pm:

sorry

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 02:59 pm:

No pizza, either!

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 03:09 pm:

You would have been miserable among all that misery.

By Gee on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 12:45 am:

ML - you seem young. I got the impression you were in your early twenty's. Maybe you are. I shouldn't assume that just because you're out of school you're old.

I go to York. Someone told me today that York was a real Party School. I had no idea.

By Moonit on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 02:18 am:

Chicken feet are deep fried then come out on the plate looking like little deep fried hands. I was too chicken (heehe) to try one, but you just suck all the coating off and pull the bones out. *shudder*

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 09:46 am:

I am not young....but thanks for thinking so ...there may be snow on the roof but the fireplace is roaring :)

When you leave school, you will realize you are not young anymore because you grow up fast when you have go out and face the world.

I have also heard York is a party school but my friends' kids tell me Western is THE party school in Ontario. (How was that for a hint!!)

By Nate on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 11:30 am:

"When you leave school, you will realize you are not young anymore because you grow up fast when you have go out and face the world. "

jesus christ ain't that the truth.

of course, i take great pride in being able to maintain my immaturity in the face of adulthood.

By Czarina on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 11:36 am:

Moonit, what kind of a place/gathering were you at where they served chicken feet?
    I assume that they were appetizers,although I have
    no logical reason to think this,other than maybe
    they kinda look like little cocktail weenies with
    tooth picks stuck in them.
    You also mentioned that you suck the coating off,
    and I was wondering,if this "coating"is actually their scaley,reptile like skin,and people are sucking it off?
    How many people did you see eat them? Did they seem to enjoy eating them, were they loading up their plates?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I just can't seem
    to visualize the scenario,and am curious about it.

By J on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 12:38 pm:

I don,t want to visualize it,God help me just the thought makes me sick.When I was in Colorado the people lived off the land,they put some pickled pigs feet on the table and I just flipped.But I do love my pork rinds.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 12:51 pm:

you people are making me sick!

By heather on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 06:55 pm:

the chinese eat fried chicken legs

(at least a chinese girl i knew did- i saw it)

at dimsum- she ordered them for the table but she was the only one who would touch them (i wasn't eating meat at the time)

a bowl of fried chicken feet

she sort of sucked and gnawed them and made a pile of what was left on her plate

By Lucy Phurre on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 07:50 pm:

I watched a friend of mine eat chicken feet (I would have too, but I've been a vegetarian since I was 12).
    He said they tasted like chicken (well, what other option is there in a situation like that?), and that they were actually quite good.
    And Ethiopian food is wonderful, btw.
    They have all these great spicy stews and this wonderful spongy bread that you can't find anywhere else.
    They also have a honey wine that's like mead, only sparkling.
    Oh, and that spinach stuff is great, but then I'm a fiend for spinach (guess it comes of being an anemic vegetarian)
    Yum!

By Agatha on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 08:00 pm:

i love the spinach stuff, too. even my fussy five year old daughter will eat the spinach and potato stuff. i think it may actually be collards, though. i live the indian spinach stuff, too. i think it's called saag aloo, although that may be something else. i'm really hungry now.

By MoonIt on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 08:18 pm:

I was at the Thai Tasty here in ChCh with my friend Pik (who is Thai) and she ordered them and ate them, while Rachel and I stared in horror.

Okay not really in horror - she (Pik) kept asking us to try them but we couldn't.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 08:28 pm:

i was so influenced by Popeye as a kid, I developed an accute taste for Spinach...i suppose the writers and sponsors achieved their hidden agenda. My grandma grew spinach so she was pleased as punch to serve it to me. She also got me aquainted with collards as well, then my grandfather introduced me to tobassco and various other pepper sauces to serve on top of it...........my neighborhood is ridden with thai delivery joints, in fact i don't think we have ANY chinese delivery......i prefer chinese,

By Gee on Friday, December 3, 1999 - 01:03 am:

ML - I heard that about Western too. I was trying to remember the name of that school. I didn't know either of them were party schools because I'm not much of a partier. I really like going to pubs to see bands, though. I WISH I could do it more often. I think it's more fun than anything.

As for realizing you're not young and etc etc, I already know I'm not young. I'm only in my first year and I'm already panicing about what I'm going to do when I'm through.

By MapleLeaf on Friday, December 3, 1999 - 09:07 am:

Gee....stop worrying about things...that will take care of itself when it is absolutely necessary.

You could end up being like my sister....48 years old and just received her PhD in Political Science at UofT..a professional student....scholarship upon scholarship upon bursary upon bursary upon handouts from my parents................Geez...just realized my inheritance has educated her!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your time at school...it is really your last opportunity to be free.

By Czarina on Friday, December 3, 1999 - 11:18 am:

Tabasco is produced here in Lousiana, on a private island they own.One of my friends husbands is the accountant for them. The company has a big,[private], party on the island every 4th of July, big spectacular fire works display, open bar etc. And they always put on a little show, dancing Tabasco girls, speech from the owner, etc.Well they have this giant Tabasco bottle outfit thats about 15 feet tall, and it walks around the crowd, shaking hands, etc. Well some obnoxious kid went and unzipped it from the back, and it statred collapsing on its self, Just like the wicked witch of the west.[theres some kind of motorized fan in there that keeps it inflated] Well, I couldn't believe my eyes as I watched him wither, so I run up to him, with beer in hand and rezipped him, someone took a picture of this, and that bastard bottle of Tabasco is goosing me big time!!!Inanimate objects apparently don't know how to express gratitude. But don't worry I'll be ready for that renegade Tabacco bottle next year. I haven't formulated my plan yet, but hopefully will come up with a master plan by next July.

By Gee on Saturday, December 4, 1999 - 03:23 am:

There's nothing wrong with graduating in your older years. My mother is almost finished her PhD (graduates in the summer). She's gotten by almost compleatly with scholarships and burseries. But that's because she's freaking smart. I love her. Oh god I'm so emotional right now. It's the pain.

I will never stop worrying. I can't help it. I don't want to go through years of school and then have no clue where I'm going next.

In related news, I'm considering living in residence next year. Did I mention that? I don't remember anything. I wonder what it would be like...

Advice?

By Rhiannon on Saturday, December 4, 1999 - 09:59 am:

Hmmm...no, but I do have advice for the middle of your post. You're a first year student? Now, I don't mean to knock your suffering...but try being a fourth year student with no clue about the future. Grad school applications are due in Jan., and I don't even know where I want to go or IF I want to go, but I don't know what I would do if I didn't go. My solution to the anxiety? The usual: don't think about it. Push it out of your mind until the situation is so bad that you are forced to think about it or else destroy your life. Not the best solution, granted, but it's the only way I can do it.

By heather on Saturday, December 4, 1999 - 04:25 pm:

if you don't REALLY know what you want (and maybe even if you think you do) try to seriously consider taking time off to explore. i think that it's really important. even if you have to take some temporary dumb jobs- travel, visit people, talk to people that do what you're interested in.

schools don't look down on taking time off and sometimes it's considered valuable experience- good schools want people who know what they want.

being part of the real world is very helpful (it was for me)- helps to set directions and put things in perspective. the people around me who are getting the most out of this experience seem to be the ones that stepped back for a second to get a little clarity.

By Gee on Sunday, December 5, 1999 - 02:18 am:

I already took time off. After high school I stayed away from school for quite a while, that's why I'm already twenty-two and just in my first year. It took me that long to force myself to go back to school. I was never more miserable than when I was in high school.

By heather on Sunday, December 5, 1999 - 11:37 am:

anyway

there really isn't a reason to worry

the whole age- shit i'm running out of time thing is silly

take your own time

really, the happiest people i know work on understanding themselves and what they really want and need

but if you don't do that work (it is work) and just sit around waiting for the thing to bite you on the ass or be dropped in your lap- that usually doesn't happen

By Gee on Sunday, December 5, 1999 - 11:42 pm:

Sitting around waiting to be biten was my whole plan. darn.

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 12:33 pm:

i dropped out on the 2nd day of my sophmore year, it wasn't my time, i wasn't ready, for the last two years though, i have been ready, i have since been going to a community college , all of which i can afford, my mom told me when i dropped out should would not fund me in the future, but i was tired of living in her terms, and now i go on MY terms.....she has a lot more respect for me now.......we had a rocky past...during high school anyway.... studying my photo crap, i have no intentions for a degree although it they wanna give me one, fine, what the hell do i care, i take the classes i want and learn what i want, their little paper saying i am a "GRADUATE" does not concern me, take your time, if you feel you are not ready, step back, life experience is just as valuable, i get the impression you live at home Gee, move out, get a place of your own, travel....put everything in perspective

By Gee on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 01:56 am:

I do live at home. Most of the time I have no problem living at home. I like being around my family. But if my mother moves away next year, this might be a good chance for me to see what it's like to live alone (sort of).

I think everyone, at some point in their life, should live alone, just to prove to themselves that they can. So they don't ever have to feel like they HAVE to stay somewhere they don't want to be.

By Patrick on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 12:28 pm:

but being your age, I am guessing 20, 21,22, don't you want to be independent, live alone, have friends over, drink wine by your self with a pet, walk naked in your apartment? because it's YOURS and no one elses....simply because you can. Independence is a great feeling, I suggest you fly from the nest right away, you will be amazed at the feeling.....It was never somethign I had to prove to myself, i split when i was 18, it was something i longed for, I am a very self sustaining, independent person, i like to do things myself, shopping, taking care when i am sick, cleaning, paying bills, all of this shit gives you a sense of strength and independence that can 't be attained when mom is still washing your clothes or cleaning your bathtub or whatever the case may be.

By cyst on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 03:12 pm:

gee, once you move out of your parents' house you will wonder how you ever could have stayed there. it's fucking great. if you think you'll be lonely, get a roommate your own age.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 01:30 am:

I like living with my mother. I don't do it because I Have to, I just like being around her. I have fun with her. Same goes for living with my sister.

However, I am curious about living by myself. We'll see. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm mature enough to be compleatly independant. (which would make living in res a great "baby step".)

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 12:58 pm:

Just made glazed carrots and rutabaga to bring to our pot luck
    thanksgiving dinner this afternoon. Roasted some beets too. I
    think we'll make a beet hummus with them.

Hope everyone has a great turkey day!

By sarah on Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:52 pm:

i want to make Dream Soup with turkey leftovers, but
    the search function is kaput. i wish i had kept a
    sorabji recipe book.

By ... on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 07:52 pm:

By ... on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 08:29 pm:

whoops.

By ... on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 08:29 pm:

that last message didn't get logged to the newmessages thing

By ... on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 08:30 pm:

...and other fuckup vagaries. gotta love 15 year old bbs software

By ... on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 08:34 pm:

test of date

By ... on Sunday, December 2, 2012 - 09:05 pm:

ok, so the new msgs from the last week link is slightly borked, but i'm gonna leave it for now.

By Antigone on Monday, December 3, 2012 - 12:40 am:

Chewy.

By sarah on Monday, December 3, 2012 - 06:19 pm:

i love you, mark.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, December 3, 2012 - 08:14 pm:

Hi Mark...

By platypus on Tuesday, December 4, 2012 - 04:31 pm:

Maaaark.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - 12:49 pm:

you're my hero Mark...keeping the ship together while each of the crew rack and roll with every new crashing wave, the mast broken and sails torn, the rudder sunk in the deep, we carry on. Because Mark does this for us.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - 12:49 pm:

you're my hero Mark...keeping the ship together while each of the crew rack and roll with every new crashing wave, the mast broken and sails torn, the rudder sunk in the deep, we carry on. Because Mark does this for us.

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2012 - 04:41 pm:

Thanks, Mark! Hooray for your hard work!

By ... on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 02:07 am:

i was surprised how long the DNS took to propagate this time. 4 or 5 days?

the web hosting company/ISP where this and almost all my other sites are hosted declared bankruptcy last month. at first that made me outfreakthefuck but i guess the worst that can happen is they get acquired or they sell off their customers to another hosting company. It's hard to imagine they'd just shut off the lights one night... ALTHOUGH when I first dove in to this livelihood back in '03-or-so I had a vivid nightmare about just such a scenario. In my dream the data center got bombed and the bytes flew into the wilderness like paperwork from the Twin Towers.

I've never seen the data center or any of the computers on which these sites have existed, nor have I seen the faces of the people who manage the hardware. That does not bother much except for those times when I think it's surreal and weird.

By Antigone on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:05 am:

Sysadmins have FACES?

By sarah on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 01:38 pm:

triplicate.

By Danielssss on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 01:55 pm:

Sarah, are you coming north at all for the holidays? Happy Hannukah to all.
    Solstice just around the corner. Then Christmas, New Years, my birthday, superbowl. Can it get any better?

By Dr Pepper on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 03:29 pm:

Wow! I never thought about the IP going bankrupt. At least, my laptop is running just fine and my class is over for the semester. I am trying to apply for another class on Janurary.
    I wish the doctor would declared me unfit for almost everything. I will be in Nashville next week.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 02:55 am:

Mark, as a former programmer I can assure you, if the company you deal with is professional, they have backups at an off site location.
    Of course if the world ends today we're all screwed.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 03:21 am:

It looks like Christmas will be the same turkey TV dinner I had at Thanksgiving.
    I can't get to anything but my microwave.

Maybe I'll get to cleaning up and clearing out if the world doesn't end today.

God, I must be depressed. I don't know how many times I've mentioned the world ending in these posts.

Maybe I should have a Margarita in addition to the glass of wine I had tonight.

Self medicating is fun!

By The Watcher on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - 06:12 am:

Actually I ate McDonalds fare with my wife at the nursing home.

It beat eating that TV dinner.

By Danielssss on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:34 pm:

oh fuck, the world DID end and i missed it. Where the hell are all of you then? Did SORABJI protect us all from the END?

By heather on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 08:23 am:

The world is always ending.

By Danielssss on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 01:41 pm:

Hey you! You're absolutely right! Always. As always. Just don't breathe the fog in Oakland...

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 07:29 pm:

Anyone with half brain sure knows how NOT to breathe the fog....

By The Watcher on Monday, April 1, 2013 - 04:26 am:

I think I'll try killing myself by holding my breath..............................
    Damn. It didn't work.

I guess I'm doomed to this painful existance.

By Spider on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 01:58 pm:

I am making:

*3 beans (string, red kidney, butter) with bacon and toasted almond slices

*smashed white sweet potatoes with maple syrup, a little butter, Greek yogurt, and a ginger/cinnamon/clove blend

*apple and pear tart with the same ginger/cinnamon/clove blend (and possibly making a glaze with some cranberry orange chutney I have)

I've made the beans and the sweet potatoes already, and they're pretty good. The tart crust is chilling for another 1/2 hour and then that will be ready for assembly.

Favorite holiday of the year right here.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 06:28 pm:

I made mashed cauliflower.

Next year: bacon wrapped turkey.

By la on Friday, November 29, 2013 - 02:19 am:

Blueberry muffins.

For lunch, invented the frittata sandwich.

Post-Hunger Games, it may be time for ice cream
    sandwich. Or spiked cider. Or both.

Next year, I'd like to be somewhere with people who
    do something. Or something.

By Spider on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 12:10 am:

I will be spending Christmas alone with my dad, it seems. :(
    Brother's going to CA, aunt/uncle are going to FL, friends
    are going to NY, MO, and with their inlaws.

Nothing can top the despair of Thanksgiving two years ago,
    when we drove home from MA to PA two days after my
    mom died and arrived at 6:30 to empty streets as everyone
    else alive was having dinner with their families, and my dad
    and I sat on the couch in the dark and watched nature shows
    on Animal Planet and tried not to think of my mom. Horrible
    horrible.

By JusMiceElf on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 01:32 am:

I brought latkes for our potluck thanksgiving. I made two kinds-
    -plain potato, and potato/parsnip/sweet potato. I liked the
    combo ones better. They were a little bit sweet. I also made
    two batches of cranberry applesauce, one sweet and one tart.
    I wish I'd brought home some leftovers. I'm missing my dad's
    traditional post-thanksgiving turkey sandwich with homemade
    Russian dressing.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 02:16 am:

Spider, isn't your brother being elsewhere a good thing? :)

By Spider on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 05:10 pm:

I loooove parsnips. Sweet potatoes and parsnips are my #1 and #2 root vegetables.

My brother's been decent lately. He's fun to be around when he's decent and if I don't expect anything from him, I enjoy our interactions more.

In a few minutes, I'm leaving to visit my longtime best friend at her family's house. She told me a few weeks ago that her mother has aggressive skin cancer on her lip and had to have surgery. I'll find out tonight if that's the end of it or if she'll need chemo. Fuck cancer.

By Danielssss on Sunday, December 1, 2013 - 03:46 pm:

had a wonderful son made dinner in iowa City, a son slaughtered large chicken, baked in milk sage and lemon, then parsnips potatoes, and a walnut cranberry dressing, from scratch cross bun (in honor of Sarah) and butternut soup all locally sourced from the local co op. Son slaughtered chicken about two weeks ago following a workshop on the same intent. Wonderful to have a campus devoid of 35,000 people in which to play and shop art.

By droopy on Sunday, December 1, 2013 - 08:34 pm:

when i was very young, in rhode island, i remember
    there was a woman in my neighborhood who grew
    parsnips. she even had a picket fence around the
    the garden with a sign that said "parsnipapolis"
    on it. in season, she would give my mother bunches
    of them. she'd go cook them in stews or as a side
    or whatever.

spent thanksgiving with my family for the first
    time in years - down in the farm house in austin.
    my sister made roasted cauliflower and brussels
    sprouts. my cousin made a kale and sweet potato
    casserole.

saw my 5 year old niece. there's a picture of the
    two of us: she's in the front grinning into the
    camera while i'm behind her with my face covered
    in stickers. i made an e-card out of it and sent
    it to my father.

my niece wants to sing "winter wonderland" at this
    year's family christmas party. i am to accompany
    her on ukulele. she will probably forget about
    this by the time of the party, but i have promised
    her mother i will be ready with an arrangement
    just in case.

By semillama on Friday, December 6, 2013 - 02:22 pm:

We went to my brother's place in Wausau, and stayed at my mom's new apartment there; she recently sold the old family home and moved there to be near my brother. My brother smoked a turkey on the grill and there was too much food. My brother, my son, and I stood out in our blue Lions gear amid the sea of green and yellow Packer backers - and tried (not too hard) to keep our glee and gloating down as the Lions finally exorcised their Thanksgiving Packers game curse. The next day was left overs and sampling some scotch my brother brought back from his trip to Scotland.

Then the stomach bug started making its rounds, hitting my son first, so he stayed with my mom while my brother, my wife, and I snuck out to catch a movie. Then, I got it on the day we were supposed to return home, delaying our trip a day. And of course, my wife finally succumbed during the trip back.

Still, I consider the trip one of the better thanksgivings in a while. Very enjoyable.

Spider, you need to send me that sweet potato dish recipe because it sounds amazing.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact