Places to eat out there, e.g. Pouncey's Restaurant in Perry, FL

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Places to eat out there, e.g. Pouncey's Restaurant in Perry, FL
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nelly on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 05:14 pm:

If you ever have to be in Perry and need to eat, Pouncey's is not a bad place to do it at. It's right there on the main highway, which I think was Alt 27 at that point, with all the fast food places, but it's a real restaurant, with old vinyl booths and lots of regulars hanging around. Their conversation and accents made me thing of Mark's bar tape... I had the scallops, which were small but seasoned right and very tasty. They gave me a thing of guava jelly and I discovered it's for hush puppies. I stole one of the placemats and plan to use it for a christmas card if I can ever get the old scanner running...

Now it's your turn. Interesting road food experiences?

By agatha on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 09:34 pm:

i went to this place in pennsylvania, the neverending state to travel through. it was a fifties diner in one of those airstream looking buildings. the waitress had a big beehive, and she was fat. i ordered an egg breakfast, which came with toast. she asked me if i would like jam, i said no, my traveling companion ben said yes. she brought this amazing relish tray full of four different kinds of homemade jam- strawberry, blackberry, apple butter, and marmalade. all of these jams were so amazing that i had to order another side of toast just to experience them fully. i think about that place all the time. it was a little slice of heaven.

By agatha on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 09:41 pm:

speaking of relish trays, there is this place in manchester connecticut called the shady glenn. it's a diner and ice cream place, the waitresses still wear the pale blue green and white uniforms, the cooks wear paper hats. there is a kind of creepy mentally disabled guy who busses the tables, he has been working there since i was a child. the owner still works there, too, she has jet black hair that is very obviously dyed and she is like ninety years old. the shady glenn has a relish tray that rules, also. ketchup, mustard, relish, and fresh chopped onions. they make their cheeseburgers with this crispy deep fried cheese on top, it is to die for. i order crispy cheese sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise when i go there, and then i have at the relish tray to the extreme. there are these frightening paintings of these little disproportionately painted elves on the walls, they are painted by an artist who has never studied the figure. they are all eating hot dogs and hamburgers and ice cream cones. they are frightening. they serve your coffee on those cool round fluted coasters that say something funny on them. i think that maybe i should buy myself a relish tray pretty soon. i will be enjoying a snack at the shady glenn in about two weeks.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 12:21 pm:

My neighborhood sushi joint has napkins with trivia on them.......and it's not the same 10 questions on each one either.....

By J on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 11:46 am:

There use to be a slider place by my house called Jiffy Burger,the gimick was it was owner operated by an Elvis impersonator,the first time I went there,I was with my evil sister-in-law,her now ex-husband,my nephew Tony, who I just love.Anyway Tony and I have the same twisted humor,and there was a long line,he started doing his Elvis voice(he sounds just like him)he was calling me "Cilla"and we were entertaining ourselves,mostly wondering why those burgers didn,t seem to be so jiffy after all,his mom and step-dad flipped out over our behavior and we left.I waited a good 6 months,before I went back,word must have gotten around that if you were in a hurry skip Jiffy,s,not a soul in there but "Elvis",Heather and I.When he was taking my order,it was all I could do to give my order,then I ran and sat on the patio,I made Heather go get the food when it was up.He went out of business shortly after that.

By The database on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 12:37 pm:

"slider place"? this is a new terminology for me. Please define

By J on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 12:55 pm:

Well they are kinda like hamburgers,but smaller,and square.The first time I ever had one was at a White Castle Burger in Chicago.

By Nelly on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 01:06 pm:

Oh, you mean Krystals

By Patrick on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 01:16 pm:

blaagggggghhhhhhhhh!!!! i hate Krystals and White Castle for that matter

By J on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 02:07 pm:

Me too,I just wanted to see Elvis.In Carefree(really wealthy people live there,has st. names like Easy Street).This married couple there opened up a resturant called the Horny Toad,after the divorce she opened up her own,right across the street from his(H.T),it,s called the Satisfied Frog.

By Czarina on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 04:30 pm:

Last time I was in the Phx area,I ate at the
    Horny Toad, The Satisfied Frog wasn't there, or I probably would have chosen it--------sorta like the melody of it-------I'll try it next time.
    "J", did you get my email about CallBee?

By J on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 08:34 am:

Yea,I did Czarina,but it won,t work with webtv,there is also Dialpad,I,ll write or call you in a day or two,got some dirt.

By Czarina on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 01:12 pm:

I'm always interested in dirt!

By J on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 01:34 pm:

Guess who is talking to me right now? Pumpkin!!!

By J on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 09:08 am:

Same old Pumpkin,I was telling her how Amee trashed my rental house,I was telling her about the tore-up blinds,the hole in the wall,the door busted,etc.Earlier in the conversation,she was telling me how mellow she was now that she was on hormones and meds.After I was bitching about all this damage,she tells me her house is like that too,then she goes on to tell me how SHE punched some holes in the wall,how SHE busted Buds door when he tried to lock her out,how SHE broke a window in a fit,it was wierd.I,d love to do a documentry on that family,I,d call it.Home in Hell.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact