My Christmas dinner

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: My Christmas dinner
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Thomas L. on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 01:09 pm:

A 4oz. summer sausage, not even sliced...

A large mixing bowl full of caramel popcorn...

2 bagels with chive & onion cream cheese...

About 2 cups of Ruffles with french onion dip...

A box & a half (12oz total) of chocolate covered cherries...

2 hard boiled eggs with salt & pepper...

One stalk of celery with Cheez Whiz...

The rest of the Cheese Whiz lovingly consumed with a spoon...

Washed down with 3 cans of Pepsi

By cyst on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 01:24 am:

I had my leftover filet mignon today for lunch.

the problem with microwaving leftover steak is that it gets cooked. I like it rare.

By cyst on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 01:51 am:

there have been power outages in portland this weekend. late saturday night I went to my friend's house and his media-junkie roommate was sitting alone in the dark and was so glad to see us that we sat around with him and smoked pot and talked and played christmas carols on the piano.

tonight I almost missed the turn for the grocery store because I always look for the mcdonald's light, but it was out. as were taco bell's lights. we couldn't figure out why. we went into the store, and the deli and meat sections were empty. another power outage. they had put the expensive refrigeration items in the back, I guess.

these electricity problems are contributing to my feeling of upcoming catastrophe. today when I said good-bye to my mom and she asked when I'd see her again, I said "this week." I doubt I will, but it seemed the right thing to say.

I hadn't figured it out, but tonight on the phone I was told that new year's eve is friday. I'd been thinking it was saturday. I got sort of upset although there's no reason for me to be. I don't have to work on either day, and I have no plans anyway. I wanted one more day of this year, I guess.

my friend on the phone is predicting breakdown. because last summer when he got a new credit card with an expiration date after 99, it didn't work at first. for like two weeks. the bank said the problem was with the date. I told him I didn't want new year's eve to come so soon (as if the difference between friday and saturday really mattered), and he said, "yeah, there'll be plenty of guys dragging you by your hair off to their caves."

"oh, I don't care about that," I said. "I'm just concerned that I still don't have any plans for that evening."

"I'm going to draw a comic of you, 'apocalyptic julie.' you're going to be sitting on top of a car covered in chicken wire, like tank girl or something, and the caption is going to be, 'I'm SO BORED.'"

"whatever. hey, did I tell you I found a strippers' wig store yesterday?"

I realize just now that I really, really want everything to be ok. I want everything to keep on working. maybe even more than I want to wear my hair in a whitish-blond bob this weekend.

By droopy on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 02:43 pm:

friday night - christmas eve - i went over to paul's place. we said we'd meet and kill the night together. when i got there he said he was going to make chili and cornbread, want some? sure. he mixed up some cornbread mix from a box and put it in the oven, then he sauteed some onions in butter and poured canned chili into the pan. we put a square of cornbread on a plate and poured the chili over it. paul drank coors, but i went out and bought a six of modelo while everything was cooking.

after that we went to the oui lounge and met up with mark and joe. the oui is your typical dark, woody kind of bar with sense of age about it. in places there were christmas lights shaped like red and green chilis. we drank and talked about nothing and played pool all night. at one point joe started doing magic tricks with pocket change. we talked a while about juan, a friend of ours who died of cancer a few years back. we closed the place and went home.

christmas morning i got up around 11 a.m. I put on a pot of coffee. i cut a potato in chunks then halfed an onion, wrapped up one half and put it in the fridge, and quartered the other half. i put the potatoes and onions in a steamer cradle and put them on to steam. after 9 minutes i turned the burner off and fried 2 eggs in butter. i put all of it on a plate and and ate with the coffee.

after i ate i opened up all the presents i had laying around my apartment.

i got:
    *2 pairs of pants that are supposed to be cut to fit wheelchair guys well that i still haven't tried on
    *a carved seagull that sits on a long dowel stuck in a base. a nod to my rhode island roots from an uncle.
    *a howlin' wolf cd. "best of." i had hinted for the boxed set, but tis enough, twill serve.
    *2 shirts.
    *a bag with olive relish and wild mushroom pesto in it.
    *another bag with 2 bags of microwave popcorn, a can of new potatoes, a can of aparagus spears, 12-ounce bottle of sangria, jumping beans, chili beans, burt's bees bay rum exfoliant soap and hand salve (for my permantly calloused hands), plastic pen with reindeer on it, gap notepad, cavender's greek seasoning, stopper for a whiskey bottle.
    *a new wallet.

i got back into bed and listened to the howlin' wolf and must've slept. around 5 i got up and looked in my refrigerator. i had taken out a pound package of ground beef out to thaw the night before, i discovered, so i started making chili from scratch. also cornbread from scratch. it was good.

By J on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 03:25 pm:

Christmas Eve,took Heather and her old man out to eat,it,s hard to find a resturant open on Christmas Eve.Gave her the earrings and a bottle of Hypnotic Poison that didn,t smell like it was worth it,gave her old man a gift set of 2 bottles of tequilla with salt and a shot glass.They gave me The Bartenders Bible,a Paula Cole C.D.,and a bottle of Goldschlarger(cause when you drink it eventually you do have $$$ coming out your ass).Came home,smoked alot of dope, drank alot of booze,fooled around,passed out.

By J on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 03:26 pm:

Christmas Eve,took Heather and her old man out to
    eat,it,s hard to find a resturant open on
    Christmas Eve.Gave her the earrings and a bottle
    of Hypnotic Poison that didn,t smell like it was
    worth it,gave her old man a gift set of 2 bottles
    of tequilla with salt and a shot glass.They gave
    me The Bartenders Bible,a Paula Cole C.D.,and a
    bottle of Goldschlarger(cause when you drink it
    eventually you do have $$$ coming out your
    ass).Came home,smoked alot of dope, drank alot of
    booze,fooled around,passed out.

By semillama on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 04:09 pm:

I ate turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, and whipped sweet potatoes with baked almond topping. And had a few beers.

The Afro-Cuban All-Stars rule. They are coming to my hometown on April 9. I am going to take an extra day off just to see them.

By Spider on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 09:31 pm:

We had the traditional Italian seven-fish Christmas Eve dinner, only we had more than seven fish (mussels, clams, oysters, squid, shrimp, crab, salmon, orange roughy, monkfish, and flounder). Pasta. Salad. Cannoli for dessert.

Christmas Day: Salmon, duck, ham, asparagus, a rice dish, a spinach salad, a Waldorf salad...and the aptly-named Death by Chocolate chocolate cake for dessert. And this after-dinner Fra-Angelico-esque drink, Pisa, which comes in a bottle that's tilted. We thought that was cool.

At the table were my immediate family, two aunts, three uncles, three cousins, and one cousin's boyfriend. It was nice. Life is good.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact