apples

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: apples
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 06:21 pm:

Did a little grocery shopping this afternoon, taking advantage of a dry patch after a night and a morning of rain. I went to the same little Winn-Dixie I always go to that often has a lot of homeless or at least very poor people hanging around the front.

Bought a little meat, vegetables, bread and other stuff - including a bag of apples. As much food as I could stuff into the wine box I picked up from the last time I went to the liquor store.

Oustide, as I was rolling myself along the sidewalk with the box on my lap, I passed an old guy who asked me: "Can I be of assistance, sir?"

He was short and stout, scruffy and dirty. His pants were baggy, sneakers falling apart. He had on an old flannel shirt, an old coat over that, and a wool cap. I said "no thanks" as I habitually do.

He looked disconcerted. "Sure? No trouble."

"I'm fine. Thanks, though."

He nodded.

"Could you spare a fella an apple?" he said.

"Sure," I said, and opened up the bag from the box on my lap and gave him one. "Anything else?"

He took the apple and said, "no sir, no sir...the apple'll be just the thing." He pulled a folding knife out of his pocket and opened it with shaking hands. He carefully cut out a wedge from the apple, like an orange wedge, and popped it in his mouth. Then he pulled out a handkerchief, wrapped the apple up in it, and put in his pocket "for later."

"Sure you don't need anything else?" I asked.

"All i needed, sir," he said. "Always make sure I have an apple a day. Couldn't do with out it. Helps the system, you know. Good for the stomach, too. I useta never be able to sleep at night. I'd have indigestion something terrible...have to sleep sitting up. Terrible. Then I started eating apples, fixed it right up. It's good for the digestion, has something in it that's good for the digestion. Bet you didn't know that."

Actually, I did remember reading that somewhere. But I decided to let him be the keeper of apple-lore.

"Good for the teeth too," he said. "Brushes your teeth for you." He smiled wide to show his teeth and tapped them to show me how sturdy they were. The looked pretty good, all things considered.

I admired his teeth, and said I had to be getting home.

"You have a good day," he said.

"Can I leave you another apple," I said, "just in case that one doesn't last till tonight?"

"Bless you," he said, and stuffed the 2nd apple in his pocket.

By Isolde on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:11 pm:

That's a really neat story, Droop. I had a roasted apple, I've lit a fire and it's nice and comfy. Ben with the fake leg is here, playing the piano.

By pez on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:28 pm:

i've heard of a neat decoration for tha fall: get a big tub of water, dump a bunch of apples in. carve out holes in the end that is above the water. insert tealights. set back in water, gently, and light.

By Isolde on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:43 pm:

That's neat. Apples and tealights. Excellent.

By pez on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 12:14 am:

could you imagine mr. burns getting excited over apples and tealights? *giggles*

By sarah on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 04:07 am:

thanks droopster. i love your stories.

what's a bit weird is that i also bought apples, a big bag of apples at costco on saturday. the thing is, i don't even eat apples. you get sucked into buying things there because they are a good deal. i guess i will eat apples this week.

By Isolde on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 08:29 am:

You might as well, since you have them, Sarah. I like apples well enough, although usually I like to put them in something. Geek boy and had apples and lounged by the fire last night reading. It was excellent.

By TBone on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 10:50 am:

We juice apples.

4 apples
    1/4 lemon

juice 'em.

Very good lemonaide.

Droop, you're a good soul.

By agatha on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 12:01 pm:

he's the best. i have lots of apples right now, too. there is a bad smell in my fridge that i can't trace, we already cleaned the refrigerator last week and it already stinks again. i think it's dave's nastay MEAT.

By semillama on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 12:22 pm:

Dave has to keep it in the refridgerator? What is he, Frankenstein's Monster?

By Isolde on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 12:39 pm:

Yes, SOMEONE cooked something nasty and smelly and meaty and left it in the fridge. Ahem.

By Tired on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 01:32 pm:

does it really taste like lemonade? the 1/4 lemon overpowers the 4 apples? I've never juiced anything, so I guess it's possible. Just sounds rather unlikely.

By J on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 01:56 pm:

German Apple Cake: beat until foamy 3 eggs&1cup salad oil.Add2 cups sugar,mix 1 tsp.vanilla combine 2 cups sifted flour 2 tsp.cinnamon,1 tsp.baking soda,1/2 tsp. salt.Add 4 cups sliced granny smith or pippin apples and 1 1/2 cups of walnuts.Spread into greased,floured 9x13 cake pan,bake at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes.When cool spread with cream cheese frosting.1 8oz cream cheese 5 tbs. melter butter 1 tsp.vanilla,2 cups of powdered sugar,mix.

By Isolde on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 02:57 pm:

Fucking yes, I can make that vegan! *smooch*

By TBone on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 05:42 pm:

The lemon is a potent animal... I tried it with a whole lemon and almost turned inside out.

It tastes like really good lemonaide. The sugar from the apples evens out the lemon really well. If you like some really lemoney lemonaide, use a half lemon instead of a quarter.

If you get a juicer at any time, do not try to juice a banana.

By Kalliope on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 06:39 pm:

haahahhaa did you actually try to juice a banana?

By Isolde on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 06:52 pm:

I love lemon, it's so tasty.

By TBone on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 07:04 pm:

lemon = goodness
    banana in the juicer = badness

There's a new place on campus that server smoothies and juices... They server hot juices. I've had the hot apple pie which is pretty tasty and the healthy toddy with just rocked with the goodness of lemons and limes.

By droopy on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 09:01 pm:

i squeeze lime over warm, soft corn tortillas

apple pie is my favorite pie.

i seem to have a childhood memory of the apple cake j. posted. a good memory.

i'm glad people liked the story, but i don't think that giving somebody two measly apples quite counts as being a good soul. maybe if i do it in volume. several months ago i gave a homeless guy at the very same winn-dixie a dollar something and an orange.

my road to heaven will be paved with fruit.

By TBone on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 09:48 pm:

It's not so much the fruit as it is the kind way to treated him. I once gave a homeless mad a warm loaf of french bread, but it's not a good story because I think I said "here" and he said, "thanks, man." And I was kinda afraid of him.

I felt like all I had done is given a guy some bread, but I bet you made that old man's day.

By moonit on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 10:13 pm:

oh now i feel real mean.

couple of weeks ago 'drew and i went out
    drinkin. When we'd had enough we went to the
    Cats Pajamas. (the best fish and chip shop
    when you are drunk).

Three fish, scoop of chips, chicken croquette
    and a chicken wing in two bags later, we're
    trying to find a taxi. drew is munchin on a piece
    of fish when this woman staggers over with
    her bag of glue.

her 'got 40 cents'
    me: 'nope'
    her 'howbout 20'
    me: 'no'
    by now shes staring and practically drooling at
    'drew and his piece of fish. she gets real close
    to him and says 'can i have a bite?'
    i turn to her and say 'look lady, i think you
    should just go away alright' real meanly.
    and she looks at me, turns around and
    staggers off.

'drew is staring at me.

I never ever ever do stuff like that.

I felt kinda guilty about it for the next couple of
    days, but then I figured that if i'd given her 40
    cents she just would of bought more glue. The
    cops cant lock you up here for sniffing glue.

If she had fallen over she would of stuck to the
    pavement.

By sarah on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 10:37 pm:

droop, look what i found today:

Wesley's Secret Eggplant Recipe

* 2 eggplants
    * 1 liter Kentucky bourbon

Directions:

First take the eggplants and grind them up very finely in the kitchen sink garbage disposal.

SAFETY TIP: watch out for finger tips and bourbon bottles.

Next, take the Bourbon and mix it well with ice, or water, or soda. By this time, the odor and texture of the eggplant should be gone. Rinse out your sink, and drink the Bourbon mixture.

Now, THERE's an eggplant recipe I can live with! Next time, we'll try it with a wine sauce!

By Tired on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 12:27 am:

that was awesome

By pez on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 01:27 am:

apple squares are good. my mom made some.

has anyone evermade apple cider? it's good! last year i boiled some and took it to school for a demonstration on canturbury tales.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 01:45 am:

That sounds great. I hate eggplant.
    I used to live on a farm, and we would make apple cider once a year at this big town event called "Great Day in Elk." The kiddies would gather around and we'd make cider. Much fun. I think I'm going to get a new piercing. Where?

By pez on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 04:10 pm:

we have a cider press that my great-grandpa made. it's so fun to use. everybody comes over with their old milk jugs and tons of apples (we always end up picking more from the trees) and we make cider for abour two hours. fun fun fun.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 04:14 pm:

Yum, yes. that's what I'm talkin' about!

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:18 pm:

Get the belly button deal, Isolde. My girlfriend's got one, as well as a dragon tatoo on her stomach whose tail encircles her navel. Sexy, I must say.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

No hoochie piercings! I think I'll get my lip pierced.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:24 pm:

What's a hoochie piercing???

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:27 pm:

Bellybutton piercing=hoochie piercing. It's the way the die rolls, love. Sorry.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:46 pm:

Ok, whatever's it's called, it's fucking sexy.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:48 pm:

Hoochie. I like the lip idea. Lip piercings intrigue me. I think I'd like to make out with a lip piercing. Eyebrow's not an option, I wear glasses too much and it would look funny, I think. Nose, too. Don't fuck with the nose. I learned this. Nipples: not an option. Geek boy says I should get a row of studs on both my shoulders. I asked him how they'd stay in.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 07:56 pm:

My sister's got a nose stud. I tease her about blowing her nose and the stud flying across the room. She doesn't appreciate that, especially coming from a non-pierced, non-tatooed brother.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 08:04 pm:

*laugh* That would be so funny.

By Amanda on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:35 pm:

isolde... i had my lip pierced. it wasn't that big of a deal. it got infected because i was drinking alcohol and you're not supposed to. if you do get it pierced put a labret in it. i had a labret to begin with it looked super cool, but then it fell out and there was a big deal about a berry. so i had to put a ring in which was much easier to clean, but not nearly as cool looking.

what am i trying to say? you can't go into prisons with your lip pierced, so it had to go. maybe i'll get my tongue pierced. then i could tease boys, but damn it then they may expect something and the world would just be a mess. i feel kind of manic right now. racing thoughts.

By Bell_jar on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:36 pm:

ugh. i mean bell_jar.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 01:07 am:

I want a librette, hell yes.

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 07:57 am:

I would think that drinking alcohol would stave off infection rather than promote it. Weird.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 10:49 am:

Maybe it's the things that happen along with it--a certain friend of mine drank alchohol and made out on the first night of her lip piercing and so...yeah.

By Z on Sunday, November 5, 2000 - 04:09 pm:

apples:

I'm eating a huge McIntosh apple now. Quite tasty.

By moonit on Sunday, November 5, 2000 - 08:14 pm:

I had my eyebrow pierced and I wear glasses.

It was a little ring, so it kinda hid under my fringe.

cute.

i miss it.

By Isolde on Sunday, November 5, 2000 - 10:33 pm:

Why did you get rid of it?

By moonit on Monday, November 6, 2000 - 09:28 pm:

it was starting to move.

I have a scar in my eyebrow now. I think the weight of the ring was too much.

Every man and his dog has some sort of piercing these days.

My mum wants to get her first tattoo...

of pooh bear.

she went ape shit at my eyebrow ring. In fact she didnt talk to me for a week or two.

wierd lady.

By cyst on Tuesday, November 7, 2000 - 05:02 pm:

I baked an apple pie last night. I used granny smiths.

By J on Wednesday, November 8, 2000 - 12:09 am:

I'm going to make that cake I posted last week for Amee's s/o,he is a sweet guy now that I know him,it takes granny smiths or pippin's but I bought granny smiths.I can't decide if I should make pork chops or fried chicken with the dinner,I'm leaning toward the chicken,cause I fry a mean chicken,but Amee loves pork chops,but it's his birthday.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 8, 2000 - 03:34 am:

i went to a potluck saturday night and baked apple crisp.

it was supposed to be apple pie but i accidentally drank too many martinis and the crust didn't come out right at all. so i just dumped the cinnamon apple mixture in the pie plate, mixed up some brown sugar, oatmeal, butter, peanut butter, and nuts and sprinkled it on top. baked it like a pie. turned out just as good.

the pot luck was at this couple's place, some friends of friends. they were FOB from Iceland. never met anyone from iceland before. we ate putrid shark meat and icelandic schnapps and vodka. everyone got really drunk and ate a lot of apple crisp and tried to be polite about eating the icelandic shark meat, which was just vile.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 8, 2000 - 10:11 am:

I like apple crisp. I am not very found of shark meat, especially putrid Icelandic shark meat. I'm sorry.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact