piri-piri

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: piri-piri
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 01:35 am:

well, not yet. but i will be if the stuff turns out. i filled a 1-quart canning jar 1/3 full with dried red peppers (chile japones), added 1/2 cup jim beam, and then filled the rest of the jar with equal amounts of vegetable oil and olive oil. it's supposed to take a month to cure. hopefully posting this will help me remember when i made the patch and to shake the jar every so often.

and maybe another sorabjite will make a batch of their own with different chilis and/or whiskey (or maybe rum) and tell me how it turned out.

By Cat on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 04:29 am:

I'm always good to whip up a batch of something. Do I need to use dried chillis? And are we talking the big red ones? How do you eat piri-piri? It sounds like it would be kind of like an antipasta, yes?

By patrick on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 12:18 pm:

yeah tell me more about the use of piri-piri.....

grandma always has a jar of peppers in vinegar on the table.....

i like the idea of pickled peppers.....i like the idea of something getting better with age....

By J on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 12:49 pm:

That's what I tell myself,I almost believe it.

By Piri-piri on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

"Piri-piri is the Swahili word for the incendiary red peppers of Africa—primarily those of Angola and Mozambique, former Portuguese colonies. Because of the seafaring nature of the Portuguese, it didn't take long for these bite-size pods of fire to make their way to Lisbon aboard spice ships returning from the East.
    Mainlanders wasted no time in turning the torrid chiles into a versatile sauce. Cooks use it as a marinade, a basting liquid and a condiment. In fact, take a walk down an esplanade in Lisbon and you'll find bottles of piri-piri sauce dotting restaurant tables everywhere. And no wonder: It's perfect with shrimp, chicken and fish. "

By Nate on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

i'll make it.

questions: do the peppers need to be dried, or can you run fresh peppers through the cuis?

you store it in the fridge or a dark cool place or ?

By Nate on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

oh, and did you seal the jar?

By patrick on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 01:06 pm:

i don't think you run anything through the cuis....

By droopy on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 01:45 pm:

i'm working off a recipe that reads pretty much the same as my original post, except it says "dried red chiles from asian markets" and doesn't specify a type of whisky. there's a vietnamese market near where i live, but there's a latino market even closer, so i went with the mexican chilis out of laziness. the canning jar i used was one where wire forms a hinge in the back and sort of a lever in the front to snap it shut. and with a rubber seal. ya know? i'm keeping it in a cool, dry place.

and it's an oil sauce. not preserved peppers. for all i know you could use fresh peppers, but i'm waiting to see how this batch turns out.

By patrick on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 04:02 pm:

so do you dice, slice, or mush the peppers?

By Isolde on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 04:40 pm:

This whole thread is starting to remind me of the ill-fated "Inferno" vodka I purchased earlier this year...

By droopy on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 04:57 pm:

i'm a little insecure about how all of this is going to turn out, myself. guess i'll just wait and see.

i just put the peppers in the jar whole, patrick.

By Cat on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 05:29 pm:

Don't panic Droopy, anything involving grog and chillis can't be stuffed up.

I like recipes involving alcohol cause then you feel obliged to finish off the rest of the bottle. Just to be nice and tidy, you understand.

I'm cooking for friends tonight and I'm thinking of some kind of lamb shanks thing. I feel like a stewy meaty dish, cause it's a bit cold and rainy.

Or maybe this, it's quite tasty:

Veal Chops with Orange Gremolata

4 veal chops (2.5cm to 1 inch thick)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tbsp olive oil
    20g (about 2/3 oz) butter
    100ml dry white wine
    2 tbsp orange juice
    250ml beef or veal stock
    2 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    finely grated zest of 1 orange
    finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon

Method:

Preheat the oven to warm (100c /200f). Season the veal with salt and pepper.

Heat the oil and half the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and cook the chops for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer chops to a plate, cover with foil and place in the warm oven while you make the sauce.

Add the wine to the same pan, bring to the boil and reduce by half. Add the orange juice and boil for 20 seconds before adding the stock. Return to the boil and stir in the cornflour mixture to thicken the sause. Simmer for 2 minutes and stir in the garlic, parsley, basil, orange and lemon zest, and remaining butter.

Season sauce to taste, pour over veal and serve. Lovely with polenta or pasta.

By Nate on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 06:41 pm:

There's a pork leg roast in the lastest food and wine that i need to try. it requires an 18lb leg, though, so i need friends. it has a good "leftovers" recipie too, though I don't recall what it is.

A. and i were a little baked last night, reading recipies to each other in bed.

which

oddly enough

is quite enjoyable

when high.

By patrick on Thursday, November 16, 2000 - 07:10 pm:

i bet.....thats a nice idea

we have some of the classic cook books including the Surreal Gourmet for dinner parties, The Joy of Cooking, Southern Living, Beeter Homes & Gardens mega cook book, and a gazillion vegetarian cook books.

By J on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 12:47 am:

I have at least 40 cookbooks including Alice's Resturant(it has an 45 l.p. in it)I was at the library and saw they have a "White Trash Cooking ,part two,I needs that.

By sarah on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

Cat, that sounds really good! thanks.

whenever i see Dump Cake recipes i always think White Trash. why? who knows.

droop, i have a huge bag of dried chili peppers and half a fifth of bacardi. i will make a batch of it this weekend and we'll see.

By droopy on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 05:58 pm:

cat's recipe does sound good. i forget to tell you (sarah) that i actually made the tequila stew that you gave me the recipe for all those months. 'cept i used venison and substituted snap-e-tom for some of the tomatoes and spices. it was good.

remember to let your piri-piri sit for a month.

i'm going to blow this pop stand for the weekend and try to get some brain hygiene. bye.

By J on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 01:19 am:

You know Droopy,a man that cooks is a good thang.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 01:37 am:

sometimes when it's late
    and i'm a little bit hungry
    i heat up some old stale beans
    open up a can of sardines
    eat crackers and dream
    of someone to cook for me

"too much time" (to be without love)
    captain beefheart

By moonit on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 03:46 am:

I made some thai dish the other night, and last night cooked crumbed meat, chips, peas and eggs.

Tonight I didnt cook and got a cheese and onion toasted sandwhich.

Theres something wrong there.

By droopy on Tuesday, December 12, 2000 - 03:00 am:

i've had way more alcohol than i planned to have tonight. i keep writing stuff on other threads, but never post them.

but i can say that the piri-piri turned out pretty well. i've been eating it for the past week or so - on roast chicken or shrimp or sometimes i'll cook with it or dip bread in it. right now i've got a little of it spread on a flour tortilla. it's hot, but not blazingly hot. by blazingly hot i mean it's not like wasabe(sp?). it's got what we call a "sneaky heat" - not until after you've chewed and swallowed your food do you feel it. still, i'm gettin addicted to it. the only problem is that, because it's oil-based, it gives me indigestion.

but i'll learn to live with it.

By sarah on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 03:16 am:

oh boy do i love spicy foods. especially the sneaky hot.

By Give me a bite on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 01:36 am:

dont care for sneaky hot i like it when they are hot up front

By sarah on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

droopy once gave me a chocolate beer bread recipe that rocked the mic. last night i began the marinating of a big juicy steak using Sam Adams (Vanilla?) Cream Stout, some woosta sauce, and spices. i still had some beer left and didn't feel like drinking it (been drinking heavily [by my standards] all week), so i went alookin for the beer bread recipe. couldn't find it. instead i made this:

Chocolate Beer Cake

6 oz cream cheese
    2 oz semisweet baking chocolate
    1 tea vanilla extract
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 egg
    a little over 1 cup dark beer
    2 cups flour
    2 tea baking soda

Grease and flour a 9" or 10" round deep baking pan.

melt cream cheese and chocolate in microwave for 1-2 minutes, until chocolate is soft. mix well. beat in sugars, oil, extract, and egg. stir in beer. the mixture will be runny and gross looking, maybe even a little lumpy, after you add the beer, but that's ok. blend in flour quickly, but a little at a time, until well mixed. you might not have to use all two cups, maybe somewhere between 1-3/4 cups and two cups. you don't want the cake to be too dry, so just use your best judgment. quickly mix in baking soda at the last minute. Fold batter into baking pan and bake for 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

if you want it chocolatier, you could stir in some chocolate chips, but i didn't want to dilute the beer taste. when it comes out of the oven, it smells like bread.

this morning i used another 4 oz of cold cream cheese and 2/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 tea vanilla extract for frosting, and then i grated about 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate over the top. it looks really pretty - i hope it tastes good.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact