my new favorite dessert

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: my new favorite dessert
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 08:54 pm:

Liquored Up Hot Cocoa

(original recipe by moi)

Ingredients:

milk
    water
    unsweetened cocoa
    refined white sugar
    cayenne pepper
    kahlua
    dark spiced rum

Directions:

Make up a batch of hot cocoa. Do this by slowly heating up in a sauce pan any variety of milk, rice milk, or soy milk - and water. Use a 3 to 1 ratio of milk to water, or 4 to 1 if you like it richer.

When the milk gets good and warm, add in at least 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and dissolve. Depending on how big your batch is, you want to add cocoa until the mixture looks like dark chocolate.

Stir in refined sugar one tablespoon at a time. Don't add too much. You want it to be JUST BARELY sweet. What this means to you will depend on your own taste.

Let the cocoa get nice and hot, but not *too* hot now.

Sprinkle cayenne pepper into the hot cocoa in very small pinches. You only need a little bit. You definitely want to give it a decent zing, but you don't want to set anything on fire. It sounds crazy but you have to try it. Trust me on this one.

Ladle this mixture into a mug. Fill the mug 1/2 way. Add in one shot of kahlua and one shot of dark spiced rum.

Drink it up.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 08:55 pm:

also, be careful when handling cayenne pepper. don't get that shit in your eyes or nose. wash your hands thoroughly after touching it. the cayenne, that is.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 01:49 am:

Yeah that can kinda suck... But if it does get in your eyes, well just sit and enjoy the fun.

By J on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:40 am:

Another sorabijite that drinks milk with her booze,stong bones!

By J on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:41 am:

See milk,booze,strong bones.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

it needs to go on the record that i do not in any way endorse drinking milk.

moreover, anyone who can sit and drink a plain glass of milk is suspect.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:22 pm:

what if you're really baked and you have a glass of milk with a super fudge brownie?

By semillama on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

He's got you there.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

i always thought the got milk commercials could do well with a bong on the coffee table.

i imagine most stoners have been there.

except the vegan ones.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

milk is great!!!!

when i drink milk, which is rarely, but when i have a craving for it, and i take the whole glass in one shot....chocolate milk? LOOKOUT!

i dont understand how anyone can not like milk...

By Trace on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

By patrick on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:56 pm:

how about a screwdriver up my ass sideways?

who is selling at that price?

U-Drive-Fast Car Sales?

By Trace on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 03:57 pm:

I thought it was a good deal

By Cat on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

Get thee back to thou boring car thread. This thread is for alcohol/milk/drugs/buttfucking chit chat only.

I cannot stand mixed threads. It's unnatural.

By semillama on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

I bet teh vegan stoners have teh same fantasy, except with soy milk.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

mm, yes.

i've been drinking odwalla vanilla al'mondo future shakes lately.

three cheers for stoner refreshment!

By patrick on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

perhaps too good to be true was my point Trace.

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

I'll bet that in heaven Jesus Christ pisses soy milk.

By Antigone on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

It's just that good...

By Hal on Wednesday, January 17, 2001 - 08:33 pm:

Bongmilk...

Nuf said.

By sarah on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:16 pm:

my new favorite dessert is the pan of brownies i'm about to bake here in a few minutes.

but first, an original recipe!

this is the breakfast of champions, my dear sorabjiites:

Breakfast Gooo

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup raw oatmeal (steel cut or rolled)
    1/4 cup soy milk (preferable vanilla flavored, unsweeted)
    1/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
    1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    or
    1/4 cup chopped bittersweet baking chocolate

Directions:
    Pour oatmeal, soy milk, and water into a microwave safe bowl. Nuke on high for 2 minutes (3 for older/less powerful microwaves), stirring once half way.

Add peanut butter, nuke for another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir well until peanut butter is fully combined with cooked oatmeal.

Add 1/4 cup chocolate, which will melt immediately. Stir until combined.

Eat it up with a spoon.

By sarah on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 12:17 am:

seven minutes til brownies are done.

i am getting a massage tomorrow morning. then i'm going to play scrabble with tim at spider house.

i finished rowing lessons. rowing is very, very difficult. the club invited the Learn To Row students to participate in a "scratch" regatta tonight. it was really fun. not as fun as outrigger paddling, but still fun. all the folks are very nice. they put a few novices in the 8-man sweep boats with experienced rowers. i raced twice in two different boats with two different crews; neither time did my boat win.

afterward there was food and beer in the clubhouse. i talked to some guy who had a UofM tank top on. he was from Flint innercity. used to teach there, but took a job down here for national instruments. i thought he would be nice but i think he got the impression that because i wanted to talk to him that i was hitting on him. not the case. and i hate it when people think that. it's so lame.

roger, one of my teachers/coaches, is very nice to me. he looks like he's about 19, but apparently he's old enough to purchase alcohol. shiner bock, the beer of choice around here. it's pretty good. it's better than coors light. (but what isn't?)

three minutes til brownies.

summer time i austin isn't so bad. i like the heat. people in the clubhouse after the race were complaining about being hot, complaining of humidity. i wasn't even sweating, i thought it was quite nice. but then again, it's not august yet.

other things that are good about being in austin: my job rocks. i get to build database web applications as well as do creative design stuff. i get to learn lots of new technologies and i can buy almost any software i want. i got one of those double wide monitors too. i get to be the Boss of the Internet there. i get to make rules and stuff.

oh, the brownies are done.

By sarah on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 12:27 am:

mmm easy to make and very yummy!

Fudgy Brownies

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup white sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 tbs hot water
    2 tea instant coffee granules
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 tea vanilla extract
    1 cup regular baking flour
    2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/4 tea baking soda
    1/4 tea salt
    1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

Beat sugar and eggs with electric mixer at high speed until thick and pale.

Combine hot water and instant coffe until dissolved. Add coffee, butter, and vanilla to sugar mixture. beat on medium until well combined.

in separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda, stirring with a whisk until well blended. gradually stir into sugar mixture until just combined.

stir in chocolate chips (and nuts if preferred). the batter will be VERY thick.

spray a 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. spread batter into pan. bake at 325 degrees for 20-22 minutes. remove from oven; let settle and cool. garnish w/ powdered sugar if desired.

By pez on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 12:29 am:

vegan banana cashew brownies are good too. i can't remember the exact recipe, just replace the eggs with bananas and use cashews. soy margerine instead of butter.

By wisper on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 04:23 am:

summer.

hate.

summer.

on thursday of last week it was 34c (that's 93f) but with the humidity, or 'humidex' as the weather people call it, which we always have SHIT LOADS of, thank you lake Ontario, it was a balmy 42c. Which is 107f. A hundred and fucking seven.
    No one could breath or sleep. I tried to camp out under our puny window a/c, but to no avail. Asthma popped in to say hello. I noticed that everyone in town was a little messed up the next day. It hasn't been that hot here since the early 70s. And this shit season isn't over with me yet.
    I decided when the cash starts flowing i'm taking all my summer vacations in Norway.
    It's weird to know that i've had it all now, the full range of temperature from 42- to 42+.
    My favorite outdoor temp is 16c (60f), it's just right for everything, and you can still wear a t-shirt by itself.

sweet, sweet Norway.

thank you sara, i love brownies. :)

By LoneStranger on Thursday, July 4, 2002 - 03:44 am:

My favorite desert...

Always enjoyed after dinner.

And maybe with a bottle of wine.

Pussy.

LS

By heather on Thursday, July 4, 2002 - 03:49 am:

i'm sorry but

yuck.

please stop already

we get the point

By agatha on Thursday, July 4, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

heh. amen to that, heather.

By Czarina on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 01:49 am:

That is not considered a "dessert food",and you know it.

It falls more into the "snack food" catagory.

Please do not try such chicanery with us again.Cz

By J on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 01:28 pm:

By Nate on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

no more chicanory, either.

hey wisper, as i recall toronto sucks ass. maybe that was just me, though.

humidity is a cockjob. we don't get summer rains here, so we have nice dry heat.

By wisper on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

maybe it does Nate, maybe it does.
    i've never been able to make up my mind.

But, you never did get to go through the giant underground cave-like shopping mall, which runs under most of downtown and every major office building in the city. World's largest!

For the last several weeks there's been a garbage worker strike. Chinatown *shudder* was covered in maggots. That and the humidity = good sniffing. But the city forced them back to work, and it rained, and now it's quite cool in the shade. It thunderstormed. Humidity sucks but it's not unusual to have 2 or 3 huge lightning storms a week here in the summer. It's my payoff, anyway.

*mwah*

By sarah on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 09:47 am:

new recipe! i've been baking a lot of non-chocolate stuff lately, which is odd.

this one can be sweeter for a more cake-like taste, or less sweet for a moist bread-like taste.

Lemon Syrup Cake

Cake:
    1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 tea baking powder
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    2/3 cup oil (safflower, sunflower, or canola)
    2/3 cup sour cream
    grated rind of one large lemon
    4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Syrup:
    4 tablespoons powdered sugar
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:

grease and line a deep 8-inch round cake pan and line with wax/parchment paper.

combine flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and set aside.

using a whisk or beaters, combine eggs, oil, sour cream, lemon rind and juice in another bowl until well-mixed. pour into flour/sugar mixture and blend until the flour is just incorporated.

pour into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.

while the cake is baking, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a pot and simmer over low heat until mixture is bubbly and starts to get thick like syrup. when the cake is done and still warm, brush the syrup over the top of the cake and let some oooze down over the sides. let the cake cool quite a bit before removing from pan.

the meat of the cake is moist, but not very sweet. the syrup part is very sweet and makes a nice contrast in flavor and texture. if you want a sweeter cake, add another 3-4 tablespoons of sugar.

you probably could also add poppy seeds and then call it coffee cake, or pour it into muffin pans and you'd have lemon poppy seed muffins. i didn't do that, but thought of it just now. of course, if you make muffins, you'll want to bake them at least at 375 degrees, but no more than 400.

i predict i will bake and cook a lot with lemon this year.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:01 am:

oh, and if you make muffins, you'll want to add 1 teaspoon baking soda to the flour mixture, and maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact