lazagna

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: lazagna
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kymical on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

5 cheese.

first time i have had this kind, the stouffers microwave kind.

it isn't bad. nice to see and alternative for meat kind.

yum.

By Nate on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

good lasagna is really easy to make. you can make two batches at the same time and freeze one.

By Cat on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

I've been making this awesomely easy spinach and ricotta cannelloni lately...you use fresh lasagna sheets. It takes me ten minutes to put it together and it's yummy bummy. I must post the recipe tomorrow.

By Dougie on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

God, I used to eat Stouffer's microwave lasagne like every other night when I was single. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. I don't miss that stuff.

Made a really good, simple recipe this weekend with ocean scallops & angel hair pasta:

1 lb. scallops
    8 oz. angel hair
    1 cup cream
    2 TSP butter
    2 TSP dijon mustard
    2 TSP dill weed

Cook scallops in the butter over medium heat until just white on both sides (very carefully -- they hardly need any cooking at all -- too much and they get tough) meawhile cooking angel hair. Once the scallops are done, remove them from the pan and add the cream, mustard & dill weed, warming and mixing them together, then dump everything together and mix. I put cayenne in it too.

By Hal on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 10:27 pm:

Bread
    Peanut Butter
    And some sort of Fruit spread;ie:jelly, jam, maguine.

Spread the peanut butter on one piece of bread, and the friut spread on the other, place the two pieces of bread together, cut in half.

The art of the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

By TBone on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:51 pm:

Apparissus came home with PeanutButter Bon-Bons he made himself.

Damn, they're tasty. Whoo-boy.

By Hal on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 08:16 pm:

I thought I saw him online last night...

It just looked to damn hairy to be you TBone.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:45 pm:

i had a couple PB&J's for dinner last night. on fucking great sourdough. it says that on the label. "FUCKING GREAT SOURDOUGH".

actually, it says alfaro bakery.

the jam was strawberry. not my first choice, but hey, i live with a woman.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 02:48 am:

Hey nothing wrong with strawberry jam.

By Kymical on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 06:38 am:

i prefer polaners seedles raspberry myself.

strawberry is good in godiva cordials tho. hot damn.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 10:27 am:

Rasberry is good too...

Have you heard of pickle jelly, its probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. If given the opertunity I'd probably taste it once, and then go and hug the porcilin throne.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 10:39 am:

my aunt used to make jalapeno jelly. i love that shit. on a wheat thin with some creamcheese. ah jesus.

i've seen people spit it out, though. not for everyone.

By Dougie on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 10:52 am:

I love jalapeno jelly on nachos. First, I have a nacho with habanero salsa, then with mouth afire, alternate with a nacho with jalapeno jelly. The sweet/salty/hot combo is excellent. This is where I get my hot sauces from:

http://www.portjeffweb.com/pepperheads/

By patrick on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

never had jalapeno jelly. sounds kind of weird. jelly in itself is a strange product. my fav is concord grape. strawberry jelly feaks me out because of those lil specks...can't stand pulp or strawberry specks. hence i dont eat a lot of fruits...only fruit by products. apples are one of the few frutis i dig, and im allergic to many kinds....but the texture is relatively consistant, soft, sweet, slight crunch of the skin and just damn good.

By Dougie on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

The only apples that should be sort of soft are Macintoshes. There's nothing worse than getting a red or yellow delicious that looks beautiful and radiant on the apple pyramid at the grocery, only to get it home and have it all mealy.

By J on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

Apple butter is good.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

i hate mealy apples. i mostly eat fujis.

fresh fruit kicks ass.

especially tomato.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

Tomato's rock... Ever had a tomato sandwich?

By Dougie on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

Hell yes, on lightly toasted bread with beaucoup mayonnaise and salt & pepper.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

Yep thats the one... Those are so damn good..

I know this one sounds weird but how about a penutbutter and dill pickle sandwich... Using creamy peanut butter of course?

Its really good, I know it sounds gross, but you should try it sometime.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 04:03 pm:

anything is good with peanut butter. peanut butter, mayo and lettuce.

i like a few slices of tomato on top of some creamcheese on a toasted bagel. maybe a little lemon pepper.

mm.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

tomatos have weird texture...but i've harped on that. i accept im fuckin weird hwn it comes to foods. i wanna eat more diverse foods....some foods jsut make me sick

By Nate on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

i bet you don't eat too much Uni.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

Nothin like some good junk foods... That is why my generation survives off of... Nothing like some good ole' MSG's.... Twinkies, pop tarts, chips and dip, Mt Dew and the rest of the soft drink catagory, candy, COFFEEE (or maybe thats just my select group of people, I know the older generation has it, but I don't know if ours does.) Beer but then again thats universal...

For me, peanutbutter, bread, ramen noodles, Mt Dew, Coffee, water, and lots of spices and I mean LOTS OF SPICES... Oh and some potatos occasionally... I don't know I guess I like potatos not hard to bake, and they are healthy to the point of what you put on them.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 05:19 pm:

Sorry for the rant, the insomnia is acting up again and I've been up for, oh like A FRIGGIN DAY TOO LONG.... I'm getting ready to lose my mind, body can't stand but my mind is doing cartwheels.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

merf?

By patrick on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

Uni?

if it's japanese and comes from the sea, probably not.

although i pride myself , i don't eat a lot of junk food. i was raised on the notion of three squares, breakfast being key, though its easy to forgo....i like three colors on my plate if possible...at least for dinner anyway. a green, a little starch and perhaps something with protein. my dietary habits came from my grandmother, whom i had almost all of my 3 squares with. her dinners always consisted of things like cucumbers and onions sitting in vinegar, or 3 bean salad. Since she grew a lot of her own vegtables...it could even be something as simple as tomatoes with salt and pepper. even though the bastards gross me out, i love the color. Shewould then have maybe some pork or baked chicken. perhaps a rice dish, some sort of bean and cornbread. and they are some of the healthiest 85+ year olds i know.

i tell ya i get ecstatic when i have a colorful plate. sometimes i'll just make a veggie plate, just to appease this inkling.

By Cat on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 05:55 pm:

Further proof that I am very trivial: The phrase "square" meal comes from the British Navy. The sailors were provided with meals as part of their salary....and they used square plates onboard ships.

By heather on Wednesday, January 24, 2001 - 06:46 pm:

my papa only ate cookies and rather beefy scottish-y food and lived for 95 years.

he had oatmeal for breakfast every morning though.

my other grandfather went for long periods of time just drinking coffee because he and my grandmother were supporting her parents and his sisters. i don't recommend it.

By Hal on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 06:00 am:

Also alot of the sea rations the british soldiers recived came in square packages....

Hell almost all MRE's now days are a square freeze dried package of shit clogging goodness... If you ever feel you aren't getting enough fiber, screw medimusal, go down to your local Army Navy Sturplus and get a full size MRE... NOW THATS FIBER. (oh and don't eat the gum, its a laxitive)

By Dougie on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 09:14 am:

Peanut butter (the real stuff, not the sugared kind) and horseradish on lightly toasted bread. Now there's some good eatin'.

By J on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 10:26 am:

That sounds good,maybe add a slice of bermuda onion.

By TBone on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

Wasabi Peas.

Tasty. Damn tasty.
    But eat 'em one at a time. They sneak up on ya.

By Nate on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

mmm.

we named the ones that have excessive wasabi coating "snowballs".

the pain of an extreme wasabi rush is delightful.

picture a small circle of stoned fools with tear streaked faces, taking turns shoving handfulls of snowballs into their mouths.

By patrick on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

i'm not keen on the spice of wasabi...is it similar to that of a bitchin horseradish or chinese mustard?

By Dougie on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

Check out freshwasabi.com. What's usually passed off for wasabi in the US is horseradish paste with green food coloring. It's definitely more of a bitchin horseradish than chinese mustard. It'll rip you a new sinus cavity.

By patrick on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 05:41 pm:

that post got me hankerin for some hot chinese mustard. so i just went to lunch at the chinese joint down the way. its a cheap lunch place....and i just can't describe the joy that comes from putting that mustard on everything....especially when you are over committed. The tears, the nasal burn, and the slight embarrassment as people gawk at you crying for mama.

By Dougie on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

Spareribs? Steamed buns? MMM...steamed buns. There's a place in Chinatown on Pell Street called Joe's Shanghai. If any of you ever get to NYC, by all means, go there and have the steamed buns. Also, the lion's head (steamed pork ball), and the salt & pepper prawns (cooked in a wok, no oil, just salt & pepper, not peeled nor deheaded nor delegged, served with raw jalapeno slices on top). You eat the whole thing. Awesome.

By Dougie on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

Fish. I've been eating fish like it's going out of style. Went out codfishing last week off a charter boat last week out of Freeport. Caught a couple small cod which were very good, but I was really impressed with a fish I had never caught or eaten before -- hake. Kind of a strange looking triangular shaped fish. It was the most tender, sweetest fish I've ever had. Just sauteed it in butter with lemon. Also, my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend owns a restaurant and gave a shitload of salmon fillets. We tried a really good recipe of ginger/mango/scallion salsa atop the broiled salmon. Very nice.

By sarah on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 08:05 pm:

i've had spiritual awakenings while eating wasabi. nothin like it.

By TBone on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:21 am:

All this talk of wasabi forced me to go have sushi for dinner.

Oh yeah, and they get their fish fresh on Thursdays.

They know us down there... I just love walking into a place where they say, "Hey, guys... Havent' seen you here in a while..."

By Hal on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 01:23 am:

Hey TBone, I went back to the NaRa... God I love that place, I think I almost killed myself on the wasabi though. Kinda got like a glob of it on a piece of salmon roll, oh I'd say the glob was about the size of a quarter in diameter and about 3/4 of an inch thick... It damn near blew my brain out my nasal passage. It was good though, good enough that after I recovered and began breathing again, I did it a couple more times. Lets just put it this way, I think the steel plates in my skull still have parts of my brain and wasabi stuck to them. Oh and that little old guy, he said "you pretty brave, I never see white kid try that before. You ok now, breathing right? Want sake to wash down?" (as to which I said yes.) It was an expierence I won't soon forget.

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:11 am:

you have a sushi joint that only gets fresh fish once a week?

By Antigone on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 03:20 am:

That's nothing. At my favorite sushi place we
    have to get the raw fish from the dumpster
    behind the Lebanese restaurant next door.

By Dougie on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 08:37 am:

I always feel very healthy and very refreshed after eating Japanese. I'm going tonight to my favorite little place, "where everybody knows your name". It's a nice feeling to walk in and have all the chefs and waiters yell out, "Hi Doug!"

By TBone on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 09:18 am:

Nate, this is Montana.

I just try not to go on Wednesdays. Dollar sushi day...

The old guy seemed pretty entertained by you when I brought you down there for your first sushi. Especially when you tried the salmon roe.

By Dougie on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 11:10 am:

First sushi experience in Montana? What'd they have, trout, moose, and arctic char rolls?

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 11:52 am:

that's fucking scary.

next time you guys are in the santa cruz/san jose area of california i'll take you to sushi.

salmon roe is all texture.

urchin roe, that's something.

By Dougie on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:12 pm:

Nate, by urchin roe, are you talking about uni? I always thought uni was what they scraped out from the interior of the urchin shell. Whatever it is, I love it -- the satin texture, the sweet taste. I'm definitely ready for tonight.

By sarah on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

i'm having salmon for breakfast. i'm going to "grill" it on my new george foreman indoor grill that my mom got me for xmas. i shipped a whole box load of stuff from detroit and it JUST arrived last night. it also contained, among other goodies like Saunder's hot fudge sauce, many bottles of michigan wine.

i'm going to have a fine, fine weekend. all by my fucking self, if necessary.

By Hal on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:19 pm:

The salmon roe was alright, but I got hooked on those spider rolls and salmon rolls.... They are really good...

And I know Nate up here we are kinda screwed for the whole sushi exp, but we do get what we can.

I'd love to have some japanese sushi, hell california sushi would be fine. But till I get out of this hell hole city, I'll settle with what i can get.

By Dougie on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

Oooh, spider rolls. Don't get me started on my passion for soft shell crabs...

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

i had a dream with sarah and nate in it. and some undesignated pals of nates. all i can recall is me answering the door in this huge mansion, that was not mine. I didn't pose that it was mine, part of my dialog was about how obnoxious the house was, as i showed it to nate. I answered the door, there was nate, again looking slightly different than the last dream. Sarah didn't look like exactly the sarah i know here, but there were similarities. namely the hair...long and sandy brown/blonde. Its strange...i wish i could remember more.

nate and i drank a beer and made small talk i think. Sarah and I were preparing to go somewhere, do something, what i don't know.

By Antigone on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

It was my place, Patrick.

You left used condoms in the hot tub and peanut shells in the bidet...

By heather on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

i remember that george foreman grill....

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:07 pm:

those were nate's peanuts in the bidet (ever since Japan he's somewhat obsessed).....and you have a hot tub? i was just amazed at the male Greek god statues that lined your foyer.

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

sorry. i took the condoms off the god status and dumped them in hottub. when i do greek marble i go bareback.

my understanding of Uni is that it is urchin roe. urchin roe may be scraped from the insides of urchins. i just don't know.

i don't care, either. i just eat it.

i had my first sorabji dream this morning. it wasn't about meeting anyone, though. i was just sitting and writing shit on sorabji.

with a life as actionpacked as mine, your dreams tend to be on the dull side.

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

By Dougie on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

In San Jose, there is a nice hotel I stayed at near the airport called the Red Lion which has a really nice sushi bar. I was really impressed with the raw oyster handrolls, never had those before. I think the name of the street was Gateway street or something. This was 3 years ago.

By cyst on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

This site is shut down because the new owner of Zen Restaurant refused to pay his hosting bill of $140.

By Dougie on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

Chili Miso Tempura Shrimp

that sounds good. Mobo has something similar they call the flying tiger.

Mobo has a great selection of Maki. Maybe 30 rolls plus another 20 or so veggie.

shit. maybe i'll take the missus to sushi tonight.

Katsuo. Sentosa doesn't have Katsuo. What do you do, Cyst?

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

i know nate..i giggled when i saw it and posted it...there was point i forgot it now.

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

was your point that you are planning on driving up to the top half of CA to get some sushi with nate?

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 05:56 pm:

perhaps....

we drink a lot of beers in my dreams...i like Sapporo

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

yeah, me too. that's A.'s hands down favorite beer.

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 06:39 pm:

the mrs an i usually get a big bottle of that to share and a bottle of sake....

say when are you guys tying the knot!

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 07:17 pm:

aug. 25

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

shit. that sounds good.

3 1/2 more hours and i'll be home. getting slammed.

By patrick on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

i have to have my sake chilled though. its too much like cough medicine when hot.

i've got a fridge full of tecate..in the can mind you ...WAHOOOOO!

wheres my blue collar!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

By Nate on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 08:30 pm:

(at least i drink my mgd in a bottle)

i think i'm going to be abusing a bottle of knob creek tonight.

By droopy on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 08:35 pm:

i'm drinking australian wine
    it's a merlot called Hardy's
    Hardy's Nottage Hill Merlot
    I am really enjoying it

this may have something to do
    with the fact that i've already
    had a half-bottle of stolichnaya
    and two pints of mississippi mud
    black and tan beer (damn good shit)

but, nevertheless, i just wanna say
    i love the australians
    just love 'em.

By Cat on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 08:54 pm:

And we love you right back Droopy. Our wine is the first wave in our invasion plan. I can't tell you any more or they'll set the flesh-eating platapii onto me.

That wine costs $8.00 in our beads, which would make it about $5.00 in yours.

I always think of it as Not-age, which amuses me more when I've drunk a lot of it.

By sarah on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 04:32 am:

oh i can't wait. only 24 more hours until i get to be drunk on expensive brandy and cheap wine and my own homemade chocolate desserts.

i can't wait for tomorrow! i'm going to bed now so it will come sooner. gnight!

By pez on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

i don't want to type anymore.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 11:45 pm:

Hey it's not sushi nor wasabe but granny's recipe for turnip greens n ham... real good food in really 25 - 30 minutes while you're posting insane rants here.

cube up some sugar cured real expensive type pig parts, the smokey-er & better loin the better. My personal favorite is el cheapo Kentucky Legend Sugar Cured.

chop a big onion. Keep it away from your goat, makes the eyes water.

throw the onion and ham into a quart of boiling water,

add garlic,
    LOTS of dried crushed red pepper,
    a hefty dose of black pepper,

and a teaspoon of bacon grease
    (left over from the non_Foreman Breakfast skillet).

Ten minutes slow boil until the onions are tender.

Add a pound or more of fresh turnip greens,
    stir until wilted and wet
    (NO: do not apply to skin or use in hottub at this point)

Simmer twenty minutes more while listening the your favorite Grateful Dead.

Scoop up with a big ladel, let it cool a little, and eat.

Good for you, esp all the juices. Y'll can vary the spices but I like it hot. DON'T spill the stuff on your keyboard. It eats vinyl & abs plastic.

Nothing more pathetic than a crying goat with turnip leaves all over 'em. Then go eat sushi if you want. Leave the goat home.

By Daniels Goat on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 11:50 pm:

SHit. The Goat distracted me...forgot to put in the important 2-3heaping tablespoons of brown sugar when you add the greens. I've made this with everything from spinach and chicken to dandelion and plantain from the front yard. Don't use greens with pesticides, obviously.

It's the pepper and the sugar that make the thing good.

By cyst on Sunday, January 28, 2001 - 10:11 pm:

nate, I'm a copy editor.

sentosa's in port townsend, a touristy little turn-of-the-century town on the olympic peninsula.

for a couple of days after christmas I stayed out there with my boyfriend at a hotel that used to be a brothel. the rooms are named after former employees. we stayed in miss rose, the only room with its own jacuzzi.

we went hiking, and I thought about bears and cougars, and we saw a movie, and we drank beer, and we watched cable, and we ate gigantic $5.75 crab and salmon rolls. it was so great that it wasn't until several hours into the trip that I started getting anxious to leave for home.

I don't know what katsuo is.

congratulations on your impending nuptials. today my mother asked if I was going to marry my boyfriend.

"mom, he's already married!"

By sarah on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

i want to be a copy editor.

By patrick on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

yeah Cat, your wines have recently flowed into the states at an alarming rate. trader joes even made a section for australian wines. They are often on sale too. Though none that I have tried have been particularly noteable.

But they are cheap....and well....thats a GOOD thing

Did you guys do something with the Chileans?

By cyst on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

hey, sarah, I started working on a little book.

I won't give up copy editing, though. too much glamour, prestige, and money.

By sarah on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

really? that's so killer. how little? fiction or non? what's it about? can i have a peek?

dish girl, dish.

By cyst on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 07:53 pm:

well, it's little so far. I just started writing it.

I think it's just going to be a short and funny novel about a woman who's a little disappointed that everything is going to be all right after all.

I'm not going about it very professionally. when I think about writing a novel, I imagine nathaniel hawthorne charting the plot of "the scarlet letter" on graph paper so it would look like a gallows. I'm going about it more stephen king-like. I don't know what's going to happen, but I want to put some things together before I start worrying about what the point will be.

I'm starting with real life but I'm not limiting myself to it.

anyway, it's something to do.

By patrick on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 08:10 pm:

im not sure there is a professional way to do it.

i saw a book about Henry Miller, pictures, paintings he did and so forth.. They had pictures of the charts he would draw for a books. They were like family trees. They look absolutely insane....he would write them on the wall...and the fact he used notation....of course these "trees" are next to impossible to decipher.

i think if i were going to write a book, id use polaroids to map it out. I can expound on a photo endlessly. angry sam uses the newspaper.

By sarah on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 10:36 pm:

cyst, have you read laura zigman?

By droopy on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 01:25 am:

Spotty-Handed Villainessess
    - Problems of Female Bad Behaviour in the Creation of Literature

I found this while trying to track down something Margaret Atwood may or may not have said. I like the line "unfortunately, there is a widespread tendency to to judge such characters [in novels] as if they were job applicants...."

By droopy on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 01:26 am:

and put me down for a copy of cyst's novel.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

katsuo is bonito. the tuna, not the shark. the flesh is the color of vein blood, and dense like raw beef steak. everytime i've ever had it it has been seared. There is an edge to the flavor that many people i've had sushi with don't like.

A. and I occasionally take a room in Santa Cruz with a jacuzzi. better than relationship counciling, i think.

the past month or so i've been working up a novel in my head. i'm intent on squeezing one out before i turn 30. not that i won't be able to write after 30, but if i don't put an arbitrary date to it i'll never start.

By Dougie on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

I was told by my local sushi chef that any fish that is oily and has a strong taste, like mackerel, is seared before serving. I had something called horse mackerel with ginger -- lightly seared on top and placed on top of rice with ginger slices, very good.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 06:23 pm:

hm. that makes sense. katsuo certainly has a stronger taste.

where are you dougie?

By Dougie on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 06:25 pm:

Moi? Long Island, NY.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 02:07 am:

I have not read laura zigman. right now I'm supposed to be reading stacey richter's book, "my date with satan." my last book was "blonde" by joyce carol oates. it's novel based on life of marilyn monroe, it reads like v.c. andrews.

I liked the atwood essay. did she write "the blind assassin"? was that supposed to be good? what's good these days? did you all read the last philip roth like you were supposed to, listen to the last pavement?

saturday night I had that guy who bought me a plane ticket from istanbul to portland take me out to dinner. I had ahi tuna pan-seared with sesame seeds.

it was not the color of vein blood. but yesterday I went to the doctor and they took some vein blood-colored vein blood. I'd forgotten how purply is was. christ.

she had to tell me not to hold my breath. something about having someone hold a needle in your vein. I can't stand it. I have no problem with those painful shots for tetanus and hepatitis, the ones they shoot into your muscle, but when someone has a needle in my vein (not that this happens often), I imagine there's going to be an earthquake.

god, and that rubber tube. christ.

but I guess it'll be good to find out what a three-steaks-a-week diet can do to your cholesterol level.

tonight I was supposed to call a (former) coworker who bought me the nicest rare porterhouse with mushrooms last wednesday. he got laid off today. but I knew he went out drinking right after work. the only words I could think of to offer him was that he was "lucky, well, not that you're lucky, but, I mean, the economy is going to shit and at least you'll get a head start on everyone else looking for work."

I'd like to get a room with a jacuzzi again. we had a nice time, but that was that weird week between christmas and new year's. I'd been out of town all month, and we hadn't seen each other. and the place was old and spooky, and I think the first night we were the only guests. I'd want to fall asleep first in case there were ghosts to deal with during the night.

I'm glad january is ending. I've survived a layoff and a really bad haircut. over the weekend I revisited love letters a guy sent me a year ago, finally printed them out. it was like reading about fictional characters:

i can't believe how devastating it was to watch you drive away. i wanted to fling myself onto the roof of the car. it seems so unjust that we didn't kiss. we will.

the night was so thrilling i could hardly stand it. the show felt totally triumphant. i wasn't drunk but i felt drunk. everything i said was directed to you, even when my attention was supposed to be turned to the crowd. they say you have to find one person and aim for them. i didn't need to look. you were lovely. stunning.

in the bar (good old king solomon, god bless him) i wanted to bite the flesh on your neck. and kiss you behind the ears. your skin was so brown and taut and soft and and warm-looking. that shirt was impossibly sexy. i'm getting turned on now just remembering it. your haircut was really great. i should have said.

you drank a cosmopolitan with me. i was certain that everyone knew we were holding hands; that's the only reason i kept taking mine away. if i'd let my hand run free there'd be bruises on your thigh today. all the explosive urgency that arose from seeing you shot directly into my fingers. i could have crushed your beautiful hands.

i knew that when you were showing chris your shoulder you were really showing me. the effort not to be obvious last night was monumental. i remember thinking at one point, "all i want is five completely free, safe minutes alone. is that so much to ask?"

you're so much sexier in person. completely beautiful. your eyes, your cheeks, your mouth, your neck, your collarbone, your breasts, your stomach, your hips (your hips!), your waist, ass, legs, arms, hands, fingers. completely ravishing. you lifted up your shirt by the dumpster. i wanted you to keep going.

i wanted to see you. i wanted everyone to disappear. i wanted, wanted, wanted. i felt a desire for you that was so colossal there was nothing to do but look, agape, stealing glances and touching you for the briefest of moments. i could just look on you for hours. life has never been more like a movie. i was watching us the whole time.

... it felt like we were breaking out of prison and the spotlight was swinging around the yard, about to find us at any moment. i desperately wanted to kiss you. i will.

... j. knows that i'm in thrall to you because i've told him about you several times, about how i've longed for you against impossible reality. but he doesn't know about this. about THIS.

...i couldn't believe that bar. our legs together, my hand on your knee, your thigh, your hand. it was so charged i expected ball lightning to rush out of the jukebox and destroy us all. i'd happily die with you. you outpaced me three-to-one. talking to the others was torture. like i was really interested in how k. was liking portland. chris gave me a knowing look at the end of the night, just after we hugged. i sometimes forget how close he and i can be. there are things i can tell him that i would never tell anyone.

...i loved hearing you on my voice mail. i listened to your messages seven times each, which made me late to rehearsal. boo fucking hoo.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 02:17 am:

how do you get men to write like that? to feel like that? you have many gifts.

By agatha on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 02:55 am:

it's easy, you just hang out with male writers.

congrats on surviving the layoff, cyst, beth got the axe. i think she was glad, though.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 11:32 am:

thanks, agatha. I thought I would only be relieved to find out I still had a job (please, let it not be me, please), but after that horrible day I went home and was so depressed I lay down on the couch and stayed there for like three hours, not sleeping, not listening to the radio, just there.

you know, if my life goes well, I'll never get another letter like that again. the only men who could write love letters with such sincere urgency are the ones with girlfriends/wives or the ones who are writing to someone else's girlfriend/wife.

the ellipses indicate sections in which he talks about the possibility of others knowing. now all the major parties know the major facts, and it's just as well.

By agatha on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 12:19 pm:

she had been there almost five years, anyhow, so she was going to leave when that milestone occurred.

you're so much better off without that feller. he was using you for some sort of emotional exercise. fuck him.

my friend katie is having an opening on thursday night at oculus on alaskan way, if you have time on thursday after work you should come check it out.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

im sorry to hear all these people are loosing jobs. cyst....are you employed at amazon? I saw they axed a bunch of folks yesterday?

I don't know why, but after going through the posts since yesteday...im depressed.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 06:01 pm:

hey, agatha, will you be there?

don't be depressed, patrick. channel all your negative energy into paying off credit cards. that's what I'm going to do.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 - 06:19 pm:

thats a super idea

By agatha on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 02:39 am:

i'll be there, baybee.

By cyst on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

I'll try to swing by, then.

By sarah on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

I made this RAD RAD RAD chocolate cake yesterday afternoon and Edith and I ate half of it after dinner. It's very chocolatey and not overly sweet. It rocks like Slayer. We dipped it in the spicy liquor'd up hot cocoa drink I now make at all my dinners.

Chocolate and Cherry Polenta Cake:

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup quick cooking polenta
    1/2 cup boiling water
    7 oz unsweetened chocolate, broken into chunks
    3/4 cup fine white sugar
    5 eggs, separated
    3 tbs white flour
    1 orange rind, coarsly grated
    3/4 cup dried cherries, plump or rehydrated
    3/4 cup finely ground almonds
    2 tbs brandy (optional)

Directions:
    1. Prehead oven to 375 degrees.

2. You get one 9" round cake pan and you grease it lightly and line the bottom with a circle of wax paper.

3. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over polenta. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. It shouldn't be too wet. After it's absorbed, fluff up the polenta with a fork.

4. Melt chocolate very slowly in a bowl or better yet over a double boiler.

5. Beat or whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until well blended. Beat or whisk in melted chocolate.

5. Fold in polenta, flour, orange rind, cherries, ground almonds, and brandy (optional).

6. Whisk or beat egg whites until very light and fluffy and forming peaks. Fold gently into cake batter.

7. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 35-45 minutes.

8. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar before serving.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact