"Would you like some ground spinal cord with that?"

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: "Would you like some ground spinal cord with that?"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 07:37 am:

Interesting interview with the author of "Fast Food Nation":

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/02/08/schlosser_interview/index.html.

He makes some valid points about the deliberate homogenisation of food by major chains and reckons one in four meals in America are fast food.

My nephews can go a whole day without food in a, unfortunately not-silent, protest at being denied a Happy Meal. It doesn't make me a happy Aunt.

But do McDonalds and Burger King really taste that great or are we just lazy and are our taste buds getting artifically manipulated?

By Antigone on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

Yes, yes, and...yes.

But what's wrong with a little spine now and then, eh? It's just more cow. Unless you count that pesky Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. (Mad cow...)

But I was startled by the stats on how fast beef is produced in slaughter houses in America. And that the FDA really has no real authority over beef inspection... Uf dah!

By patrick on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

saw that yesterday....that guy has been on the public radio circuit this week.

By Czarina on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

Thats just distasteful.[er,pardon the pun]

By Hal on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 03:26 am:

Taco Bell Flavor #6... Its pepsi co. way of drugging us into eating their food all the time. And I faithfully belive that that one ingredient is in EVERY pepsi co. product.

Pizza from Pizza Hut, All pepsi cola soft drinks, all Doritos made snack chips, and of course taco bell...

I'm telling you they are putting crack in the food.

By droopy on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 05:09 am:

i ate an entire bag of chicharrones earlier this evening. or last night. this might be why i can't sleep.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 10:30 am:

gotta grow yr own these days.

Premasticated buns so we dont hafta chew.

republicans who mental-masturbate and democrats who SHAFTA you.

gotta wonder what they're puttin in da rain these days...

the only safe place is an air conditioned motel room in Sarasota, with double locks on the doors, and no tv...

By Czarina on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 10:51 am:

Then what do you use the remote for?

By pez on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

ick.

i wish that dragon's was opened more than just 11-1:30 on weekdays.

better than burger king and cheaper too.

you're still not safe. what about the chemicals in those airconditioners? freeon and stuff. and those little soaps they put in the bathroom? man...

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

not to mention the Julia Child looking Spanish speaking underwearless cleaning lady with those yellow rubber gloves.

It's only safe in the Quickie Mart these days, and if you're wearing full body condoms, candy flavored of course, and standing in the freezer waiting for dead cats to wander in and buy Slurrpees...

It's only safe in the reclining front seat of a 626 if the doors are locked. It only safe if the airport is empty. It's only safe in Walmart in you do it in the Bridal Department. It's only safe in the woods under a German feather blanket and surrounded by the smells of strong coffee brewing.

On a different note, I made some killer potato salad and baked beans yesterday, but I sliced off the end of my thumb into the lettuce and goat cheese salad. I'm apparently not safe when alone.

Duct tape. Kitchen safety rule number one: always have the duct tape in reach.

By Hal on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

And WD-40, never forget the WD-40... I always have a full can of that, and a full roll of duct tape in my car... VW...

I know, I'm driving a rolling gas bomb, but hey whats life without a little danger eh'?

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

three kinds of beans in a pepper sauce, and cheese stuffed tortilini with turkey sausage, garlic and herb ...

By pez on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:47 am:

top ramen. nothing can beat that, baby! except sushi. gotta love the raw tuna sushi.

i keep a first aid kit, flashlight and ice scraper in the cab of my car. spare fuses in the glove box. additional first aid, flashlight, jumprecables, shoes, water, maps in the trunk. and for other emergencies, i keep a book of pickup lines and a blanket on the backseat.

By J on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:59 am:

The pain of pork rinds,or Droopy I've been there too,that chicharrone word is just a fancy hispanic word for pork rinds and it warms my heart that you go there,soul mates,or just tacky pork eaters,you be the judge.Love

By semillama on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 09:11 am:

You know, it's not about the spinal cord in the hamburger.

It's not about the happy clown of death.

It's not about the guy cleaning his M16 in the basement, with pictures of you on his walls.

It's not about the billboards with glittering reflective paint.

It's not about some website where everyone has an opinion and is not afraid to use it.

It's not about the unhappy ending in the foreign film.

It's not about the bleeding fingers of the 11-year-old violin student.

It's not about the unseen paper cut and the tempting last pickle in the jar.

By Daniel ssoupmanss on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 10:42 am:

So, is it about the right number and combination of simply, crisply cut veggies simmering in a steamy turkey coriander broth, and six hours of love-making while listening to Etta James?

It takes time to cook really good soup. It takes time. Til the calves on both the backs of your legs begin to tingle.

By Hal on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

No no no, its all about the unabiated question that could drive any sane person to the edge.

"Hey mister, you want fries with that?"

By pez on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

that would certainly drive me over the edge. the only way a common passerby can differentiate me from a boy is because i have boobs. "stick with boobs"...i don't often like it.

i actually slept on saturday. i was supposed to be doing my math, but i was so tired i laid down and took a three hour nap.

last night i might've had four hours of sleep between work, laundry, and calling for my kitty to come in.

"ssssssssssssssssssyyyyyyylllllllllllllllvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!! sssssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyylllllllllvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiieeee!"

By Hal on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 07:51 pm:

Nice, sounds comfortable.

By droopy on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 10:40 pm:

there's nuthin' fancy about chicharrones, j.

it's the hardcore pork rind experience.

that's where cheech marin got his name, ya know.

By J on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

No,I didn't know that,but they sure make me thirsty.

By droop on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 03:19 pm:

i heard cheech marin tell that story on a talk show - the father took one look at the newborn cheech and said "he looks like a chicharrone."

in spanish, though.

pork rinds do kind of look like fried embryos, if you think about it.

By J on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 02:32 am:

With all the flack I get about eating pork rinds in the first place,it's best for me not to think about it.

By Cris on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 09:52 pm:

humm... pork rinds eh? i don't really like those.. they look funny and taste weird.. i do love tims cascade jalapeno chips though :) you all should try them if you live in washington, oregon or california :) they're killerrrrr!

By TBone on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 12:54 am:

I prefer his Sea-Salt and Vinegar ones...

And they're available in Montana, too. Probably
    all over.

By J on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:51 am:

Wow,I'd love some jalopeno pork rinds,I'd be in hog heaven.I went to a chocolate festival in Glendale a few weeks ago and bought some jalopeno peanut brittle.

By StarvingCollegeStudent on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:14 am:

Eat..... or DIE!

(mmmm... death)

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

Nothing beats Jalapeno Mayo... Make a turky sandwich with it... Oh fuck its good.

By J on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 10:13 am:

That sounds great Hal,where do you get it?Sometimes I use creamy horseradish on a sandwich,instead of mayo.

By Hal on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 07:19 am:

It is good... Unfourtunatly we always made ours...

All you have to do is get some mayo, and some diced jalapenos... Then BLEND...

Add as much as you want, although I recommend starting with a small amount so you don't over power it... Get your blend just right and then you have your mayo.

By J on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 09:31 am:

I'm going to try that,it sounds sassy.

By Hal on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 06:30 pm:

Tis good... But try to put it in a contanier you can shake... Sometimes mayo will settle after you've mixed it.

By 33 and one third on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 07:50 pm:

Where is Chordata? standing up for herself no doubt. . . come on, it's check in time. Am checking in from New Orleans. Just saw The Fourth Floor on hbo (!) . . . wowwee

By agatha on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:56 pm:

By V on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 01:01 pm:

jack,eat my nuts.

By droopy on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

i only eat tree spinal cord.

By droopy on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 02:42 pm:

i just thought of something. years back a friend of mine turned me on to mexican chorizo - a kind of sausage. one day i bought some and brought it home. i decided to look at the ingredients. the first one listed was "pork salivary glands". and the list didn't improve. but i ate it anyway. waste not, want not.

By platypus on Monday, July 4, 2005 - 11:12 pm:

Chorizo can be a superb eating experience. I've never actually read the ingredients, though.

I am quite sunburned from going to watch the Mendo parade. It was not as fantastic as usual, alas, but there were plenty of scantily clad, attractive women, so I was happy.

By Cat on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 08:21 am:

The grossiest bits are always the tastiest.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 11:45 am:

man, i used to be creative.

then I got burnt out by this job. don't have the energy it seems.

maybe it's just posting in this environment.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 12:18 pm:

You just need more menudo, sem.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 02:18 pm:

soyrizo fires up my arse something fierce but man is it good.

im not that interested in eating the real deal.

By droopy on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

the "chorizo" i'm talking about isn't the spanish type that you're all probably thinking of. i'll explain later.

By eri on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 09:26 pm:

I used to be creative, but in life I lost it. Or so I thought. Apparently I still have it when on the phone, but lose it when I try to type it. My agent at my temp agency is trying to get me to do stand up comedy. I could take what I say to him and put it in a book and make my life a comedy, but I can't do that without offending family......it's touchy, and difficult cuz he's not the only one telling me to write.

By V on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 09:56 am:

Temp agencys can earn you plenty,if you get on well with the owner,cant you get paid offshore,as some of us do in England?...allthough you may have to pay a 2% fee,but for zero tax,its worth it,does it work in America?...works dam well in England...more,...people in the arts,artists,singers,showbiz people etc., pay no tax in Ireland,as I recall.

By kazu on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 11:02 am:

i've never been creative.

By V on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 02:59 pm:

If you become creative,move to Ireland.

By heather on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 04:04 pm:

everyone is creative

By V on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 04:20 pm:

...perhaps kazu is the exception...yet,she does things like nude snow boarding,so she can not be all bad.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact