You tell me

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: You tell me
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:26 am:

Lately things have been extremely hectic for the both of us, so tonight is OUR night. I'm looking forward to things and eager to try something new.

Im wanting to get into the kitchen and mix things up. I have some chicken breasts i laid out to thaw...and I'd love to have some suggestions of poultry dishes i could make. If i use yours, I'll send you a pretty picture in the mail to show my gratitiude.

I have both white and red wine on hand..but seeing as its hot and spring-like in the air, Im thinking white would be ideal.

thanks for your suggestions.

By Dougie on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 11:33 am:

I wish I had my recipe for chicken -- sounds kind of gross, but it's really good:

Apricot jam, Lipton's onion soup, sour cream. Mix it all together and marinate the chicken in it. Bake on 350 for like 45 minutes. Serve with rice & salad.

Another one is with cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, do same as above.

Or just pound them flat and saute in olive oil and garlic, being careful not to burn the garlic (it gets bitter when it's brown). Serve atop a salad. That's probably a better summer dish.

By p-money on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

thanks dougie.

By J on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

3 chicken breast halves,cooked and diced.1/3 cup of dried cherries,1/3 cup of diced celery,1/3 cup of toasted chopped pecans,1/3 cup of diced apples,1/3 cup low fat mayo,1 tablespoon buttermilk,1/2 teaspoon of salt,1/2 teaspoon of pepper,combine,toss well,serve in pita bread.

By Czarina on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

Try Dougies recipe,where you pound the breasts,but also lightly flour them,then add Marsalla wine[a cooking wine,available at most stores],when they are nicely browned.Serve with fetuccine,and a fresh garden salad.YUM

By patrick on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

yeah the marsala is sounding real good. yeah thats nice and "light". throw some capers and mushrooms in there.

By J on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

I thought you didn't like mushrooms Patrick.

By patrick on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

i don't but they are keen with marsala and easy to dodge...

By sarah on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

how about this? it's easy...

Morroccan Chicken

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    1 tbs olive oil
    salt, pepper
    1 medium yellow onion, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 carrots, sliced
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can crushed tomatoes, drained
    1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
    1 zucchini, sliced
    1/2 cup dry lentils, well rinsed (optional)
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    a lemon

Directions

Rub chicken breasts with oil, salt, and pepper. Place in a large, deep baking dish. Dump in chicken broth, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, lentils, zucchini, and tomatoes in same pan. Over the top sprinkle the ginger, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and turmeric, and some more salt, especially if you use low sodium chicken broth.

Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove pan, dump in chick peas, return to oven, and bake uncovered for 15-20 more minutes.

Put some on your plate, squeeze lemon juice over the top, and eat.

By patrick on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 04:52 pm:

that sounds pretty good. i was waiting for you to offer an idea.

so far its between the marsala and morroccan. eitherway im gonna be a culinary hero. make me look good people.

By Czarina on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

If you want to look good,you'll need to garnish!

By sarah on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:13 pm:

and i doubt she means a sprig o' parsley...

By patrick on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

butter lettuce, green onions and radishes with a mean vinegarette i make.

By Cat on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

Caribbean Chicken

2lb chicken fillets
    1 tablespoon oil
    paprika
    2 cloves garlic
    2-3 chillies
    1 tablespoon rum
    4 tablespoons sweet mango chutney
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1 tablespoon lime juice

Cut the fillets in four, heat the oil, add the chicken, sprinkle one side with paprika, turn and sprinkle paprika on the other side. Continue to cook over a moderate heat until both sides are golden.

Peel and crush garlic and finely chop the chillies. In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. Stir to mix the sauce through and continue cooking for 25 minutes, uncovered, turning the chicken after 15 minutes. Reduce the heat a little at this point, and cover if too much evaporation is occurring. The sauce will reduce and thicken, but there should be enough to spoon over the chicken when you serve.

(If cooking to get non-stop sex - put a cup of cooked mixed rice (brown/white/wild) in the middle of plate, top with chicken, surround with grilled asparagus and carrots and beans tossed in lemon butter. Garnish with parsley or nuts or lime wedges. Serve nude by candlelight with Marley playing in the background)

By p-dogggggg on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:02 pm:

thanks sugartits!

By Cat on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 07:05 pm:

no prob candycock.

By Platypus on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 08:27 pm:

Do moroccan and use phyllo dough--that's how we used to make it, it's yummy.

By Nate on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 09:12 pm:

i'd just thin slice the raw chicken and lay it atop hand-formed balls of rice.

chicken is nasty. from the mounds and mounds of chicks riding the conveyor belts, sliding down the slides, being tossed through chutes, having the tips of their beaks burnt off-- all the way to the stacks of chickens in cages, the chickens on the bottom eating nearly 100% chicken crap until they ride, hung by their feet, to have their heads ripped off, their blood drained, plucked and coated in feces and gore, riding the coveyor belts again, organs wrapped in paper and replaced, shit sprayed off, and finally dropped in plastic bags to be sent to you, lucky consumer.

By droopy on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 01:34 am:

i had a relative who was a chicken farmer. i've got others who hunt. i've seen unspeakable things done to animals and have eaten them.

it's been a weird night for me. i need something to type.

do this to chicken.

*berbere sauce*

2 tsps cumin seeds
    4 whole cloves
    1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
    1/2 tsp black peppercorns
    1/4 tsp whole allspice
    1 tsp whole fenugreek seeds
    1/2 cup dried onion flakes
    3 ounces red new mexican chiles, stemmed & seeded
    3 small dried long hot red chiles, seeded
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsps salt
    1/2 cup salad or peanut oil
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    cayenne pepper to taste.

mix together the cumin, cloves, cardamom, black peppercorns, allspice, and fenugreek seeds. place in a small frying pan over medium heat. stir constantly until they release their fragrance (1 to 2 minutes). do not burn. allow to cool completely

combine toasted spices and all other ingredients except oil & wine in spice grinder, coffee grinder, or whatever you got and grind in batches. it may make your eyes water.

place spice blend in bowl and add oil & wine. add cayenne and check - are you a man or a mouse? stir until thick. store in fridge.

*spiced butter*

4 tsps finely grated ginger
    1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/4 tsp cardamom seeds
    1 stick cinnamon, 1 inch long
    1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
    3 whole cloves
    2 pounds salted butter
    1 small yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
    3 tbsps chopped garlic

measure spices onto a plate.

melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat. bring the butter to a light boil. when the surface is covered with a white foam, stir in all remaining ingredients, including onion & garlic. reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for round about 45 minutes. don't stir again.

milk solids will form in the bottom of the pan and they should cook till golden brown. butter will be clear.

strain mixture through several layers of cheesecloth place in a colander. avoid milk solids and discard them.

store spiced butter in a quart jar, covered, in the fridge. it'll keep 3 months.

*doro wat*

1 whole fryer chicken (3 lbs or so) cut into 8 serving pieces
    juice of 1 lime
    5 cups thinly sliced red onion
    1/2 cup spiced butter
    1/2 cup berbere sauce
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    2 tsps cayenne
    1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
    1/2 cup water
    salt to taste
    4 hard-boiled eggs
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

marinate chicken in lime juice 1 hour.

in a heavy saucepan saute onions in 2 tbsps of the spiced butter. cover the pot and cook onions over low heat until very tender but not brown. stirring occasionally

add remaining butter to pot, along with the bebere sauce, wine garlic, cayenne, and ginger. add 1/2 cup of water and mix well.

bring to a simmer and add the chicken pieces. cook uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender, adding more water if necessary.

when chicken is tender, taste for salt. add the peeled eggs and heat through. top with black pepper and serve.

this is good with inerja bread and ethiopian style collard greens.

By The Swedish Chef. on Saturday, May 12, 2001 - 10:48 pm:

I hed a releteefe-a vhu ves a cheeckee fermer. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp! I'fe-a gut oozeers vhu hoont. Um de hur de hur de hur. I'fe-a seee unspeekeble-a theengs dune-a tu uneemels und hefe-a ietee zeem.

It's beee a veurd neeght fur me-a. I need sumetheeng tu type-a.

Du thees tu cheeckee.

*Berbere-a Sooce-a*

2 tsps coomeen seeds
    4 vhule-a clufes
    1/2 tsp cerdemum seeds
    1/2 tsp bleck peppercurns
    1/4 tsp vhule-a ellspeece-a
    1 tsp vhule-a fenoogreek seeds
    1/2 coop dreeed ooneeun flekes
    3 oooonces red noo mexeecun cheeles, stemmed & seeded
    3 smell dreeed lung hut red cheeles, seeded
    1/2 tsp gruoond geenger
    1/2 tsp freshly gruoond nootmeg
    1/4 tsp gruoond toormereec
    1 tsp gerleec pooder
    2 tsps selt
    1/2 coop seled oor peunoot ooeel
    1/2 coop dry red veene-a
    ceyenne-a pepper tu teste-a

Meex tugezeer zee coomeen, clufes, cerdemum, bleck peppercurns, ellspeece-a, und fenoogreek seeds. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Plece-a in a smell fryeeng pun oofer medeeoom heet. Um de hur de hur de hur. Stur cunstuntly unteel zeey releese-a zeeur fregrunce-a (1 tu 2 meenootes). du nut boorn. Bork bork bork! Elloo tu cuul cumpletely.

Cumbeene-a tuested speeces und ell oozeer ingredeeents ixcept ooeel & veene-a in speece-a greender, cuffffee-a greender, oor vhetefer yuoo gut und greend in betches. Um gesh dee bork, bork! It mey meke-a yuoor iyes veter. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

Plece-a speece-a blend in bool und edd ooeel & veene-a. Edd ceyenne-a und check - ere-a yuoo a mun oor a muoose-a? Stur unteel theeck. Sture-a in freedge-a.

*Speeced Bootter*

4 tsps feenely greted geenger
    1 1/2 tsp gruoond toormereec
    1/4 tsp cerdemum seeds
    1 steeck ceennemun, 1 inch lung
    1/8 tsp fresh gruoond nootmeg
    3 vhule-a clufes
    2 puoonds selted bootter
    1 smell yelloo ooneeun, peeled und cuersely chupped
    3 tbsps chupped gerleec

Meesoore-a speeces oontu a plete-a.

Melt zee bootter in a heefy soocepun oofer muderete-a heet. Um de hur de hur de hur. Breeng zee bootter tu a leeght bueel. Vhee zee soorffece-a is cufered veet a vheete-a fuem, stur in ell remeeening ingredeeents, incloodeeng ooneeun & gerleec. Redooce-a heet tu loo und cuuk uncufered fur ruoond ebuoot 45 meenootes. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Dun't stur egeeen. Bork bork bork!

Meelk suleeds veell furm in zee buttum ooff zee pun und zeey shuoold cuuk teell guldee broon. Bork bork bork! Bootter veell be-a cleer. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

Streeen meextoore-a thruoogh seferel leyers ooff cheeseclut plece-a in a culunder. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp! Efueed meelk suleeds und deescerd zeem.

Sture-a speeced bootter in a qooert jer, cufered, in zee freedge-a. It'll keep 3 munths. Um gesh dee bork, bork!

*duru vet*

1 vhule-a fryer cheeckee (3 lbs oor su) coot intu 8 serfeeng peeeces
    jooeece-a ooff 1 leeme-a
    5 coops theenly sleeced red ooneeun
    1/2 coop speeced bootter
    1/2 coop berbere-a sooce-a
    1/2 coop dry red veene-a
    2 clufes crooshed gerleec
    2 tsps ceyenne-a
    1/2 tsp fresh greted geenger
    1/2 coop veter
    selt tu teste-a
    4 herd-bueeled iggs
    1/2 tsp fresh gruoond bleck pepper

Mereenete-a cheeckee in leeme-a jooeece-a 1 huoor. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

In a heefy soocepun soote-a ooneeuns in 2 tbsps ooff zee speeced bootter. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp! Cufer zee put und cuuk ooneeuns oofer loo heet unteel fery tender boot nut broon. Bork bork bork! Sturreeng oocceseeunelly.

Edd remeeening bootter tu put, elung veet zee bebere-a sooce-a, veene-a gerleec, ceyenne-a, und geenger. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp! Edd 1/2 coop ooff veter und meex vell.

Breeng tu a seemmer und edd zee cheeckee peeeces. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Cuuk uncufered fur 30 tu 40 meenootes oor unteel tender, eddeeng mure-a veter iff necessery. Bork bork bork!

Vhee cheeckee is tender, teste-a fur selt. Um de hur de hur de hur. Edd zee peeled iggs und heet thruoogh. Tup veet bleck pepper und serfe-a.

Thees is guud veet inerja breed und itheeupiun style-a cullerd greens. Um gesh dee bork, bork!

By Nate on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 01:13 am:

why is it ok to make fun of swedes?

By The Swedish Chef. on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 01:28 am:

By Fb on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 01:29 am:

Because they are passive?
    Because it's they're turn?

By Nate on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 02:19 am:

perry como and douglas adams are now dead.

By pez on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 12:04 am:

are they swedish?

By Nate on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 12:30 am:

no, dead.

pay attention.

By patrick on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

well i made a nasty chicken marsala that came out good and nasty. I'm sure the story of those tri-tips nate is just as nasty

fuck

czarina, send me an email.....

none of my cookbooks at home had a marsala recipe so I had to improvise. I'll it share with you:

(sarah you've got the "poultry" portion of the ssorabji cookbook filled)

Marsala by way of Guesswork

2 healthy breasts pounded
    3 big ass mushrooms, sliced
    4 cloves of garlic, chopped
    2 tblspn fresh basil, chopped
    1 tblspn fresh parsley, chopped
    1/2 cup of olive oil, extra virgin
    1/2 cup of flour
    1/2 cup marsala
    1/2 cup of chicken stock
    2 tblspns of butter

1)med-heat oil
    2)put garlic and mushrooms in oil to get a head start
    3)Add a few pinches of parsely and basil to flour
    4)Light powder breasts with flour/basil/parsley
    5) add to pan
    6) cook chick until lightly brown, making sure not to burn garlic and shrooms
    7) drain excess oil
    8) return to heat adding butter, marsala and stock and rest of basil and parsley, pinch of pepper and salt
    9) simmer for 10-15 minutes, until reduced by 1/2 or so
    10) i mixed up some fetuccini with some marinara i whipped up.

the only thing i would have done differently is not add salt. The stock is salty enough...so if you want less salt, thin out your stock.

By sarah on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

nobody but pez emailed me recipes. i could surf the site for them, but they're all over the place and that would be tedious. pez sent me a rocking salad recipe. a fruit salad. actually, i'm not huge on fruit salads, but the dressing kicks ass, and i make the dressing all the time and use it as marinade and regular salad dressing.

this weekend i assembled southern style coleslaw and cooked up some of that creamy yummy coleslaw dressing. also, mashed cauliflower. i heard that cabbage and cauliflower are bad for people with thyroid problems, i wonder if this is true. the real victory this weekend was the portabello mushroom tapenade i made. served on favosh. wow.

the holy fucking chocolate cookings are long gone, and my girlfriends came over for tea yesterday afternoon, so i made the most bitchin cake - a ginger blueberry cake, with warm blueberry sauce on top. the cake had spicy sweet crystalized ginger chunks and fresh blueberries... it kicked ass. i'll post the recipe if anyone wants.

my one friend brought over as a gift a jar of lychee preserves - made by the same guy who makes the mango butter i sent to dougie. i guess my friend actually knows the guy and told me he's going to stop making the stuff, so she went out and stocked up on all his treats. i gave her twenty bucks and told her to buy up the rest of the mango butter and a few jars of the lilikoi chutney.

i'm re-discovering the versatility of molasses - try put some in your chili. you won't actually get the taste of the molasses until the chili is a day old, but worth the wait.

By Dougie on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 01:48 pm:

"a ginger blueberry cake, with warm blueberry sauce on top. the cake had spicy sweet crystalized ginger chunks and fresh blueberries"

Yeah, I'd like to see the recipe on that -- is it hard to make?

I usually drink coffee unsweetened, but when I'm home, I always dump a couple of tablespoons of molasses in coffee.

Thanks for trying with the mango butter, Sarah.

By patrick on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 01:50 pm:

i realized i didnt post my email for czarina....here

so i can send you a pretty picture

By sarah on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 07:23 pm:

Ginger Blueberry Cake

Ingredients:
    2 cups all purpose flower
    1/3 cup finely chopped crystalized ginger
    2 tea cinnamon
    2 tea ground ginger
    1/2 tea ground cloves
    1 tea baking powder
    1 tea baking soda
    1/2 tea salt

3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup low-fat milk
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup molasses
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup fresh blueberries, or frozen blueberries, thawed and drained (reserve liquid)

Directions:
    Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into lightly greased or sprayed 11"x7" or 10" round baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Blueberry Sauce:

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup orange juice or reserved blueberry liquid
    1/4 cup white sugar
    2 tbs powdered sugar
    2 tbs finely chopped crystalized ginger
    1 tbs cornstarch
    1 cup blueberries

Directions:
    In a small saucepan, dissolve sugars in juice. Add ginger and bring to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in a very small amount of cold water and add to mixture. Boil (be careful not to scorch it) for a minute, then add the blueberries. Bring back to a low boil and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Sauce will be runny, not thick. Let it cool, but serve warm over cake. Add a dollup of whipped cream (but not coolwhip or i kill you) on top if you feel like it.

By sarah on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

haha i typed "flower" instead of "flour". silly.

By Kalliope on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 08:24 pm:

Swordfish steaks, coated in a little bit of mayonaise, pepper, lemon juice, grilled (I love you George Foreman) and more lemon juice.

Salad, blue cheese, and some rice pilaf.

Oh,

and a six pack.

I'm feelin frisky.

By Sheila on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 10:32 pm:

Red Bull popsicles.

By moonit on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 04:24 am:

Sarah I didnt know you were making a sorabji cookbook. Otherwise I would of sent a recipie

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

Wow, that looks great, Sarah. I'll give it a go. Is this something of your own contrivance?

"Swordfish steaks, coated in a little bit of mayonaise, pepper, lemon juice, grilled (I love you George Foreman) and more lemon juice."

That's my favorite, except I broil them in the oven -- 5 minutes per side. With boiled baby potatoes & corn on the cob. Too bad swordfish is something like $13/pound right now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact