Slaw

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Slaw
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By N.b. on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 09:37 pm:

Thought there should be a slaw thread in honor of Mark Thomas's brilliant dissertations (see the Read This archives). I'll start:

On Jan. 1, 2002 I ate cole slaw with my hopping john. But not just any cole slaw - as I soon realized. I discovered a chunk of pineapple in it, and turning to my friend Astrid, I asked "Did you make this slaw?" and she allowed as how she had, and I asked, "is this pineapple supposed to be in it?" and she said "yes, I put it in there". Then I realized there were mandarin orange slices in there too.

Is this a trend?

By patrick on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 12:11 pm:

god i hope not.

sounds wrong.

By droop on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

i've seen that around my part of the world. in cafeterias, especially. it's as though the slaw vat and the fruit salad vat collided and the manager said, "hell, sell it.' seems very southern. my southern grandmother used to make some kind of fruit slaw with uncooked ramen noodles crumbled into it. she would also put absolutely anything into tuna salad: pecan bits, pineapple, man. oranges, etc.

when my sister and i spent time at my rhode island grandmother's house, we pretty much lived off rice krispies and scrambled egg sandwiches. except, of course, for the irish boiled dinner.

By Hal on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 03:01 pm:

I fucking hate cole slaw.

By sarah on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 03:48 pm:

i fucking love cole slaw. i especially love the shit you get at bbq joints. could eat that stuff by the bucketloads. weird, considering i hate mayonaise.

By patrick on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 04:03 pm:

i was glad to have some kickass bbq back east.

the kind thats so damn good with cole slaw.

im not a fan of cole slaw, but I'll eat it.

By droopy on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 04:12 pm:

cole slaw is a crucial part of the The Q experience. it's the ruffage that helps run all that rib-stickin' Q through yer system.

By The Watcher on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 05:55 pm:

Hal,

I'm with you. I can't stand cole slaw.

By moonit on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 06:48 pm:

I like the way you guys put a gap in coleslaw. thats so cute

By Platypus on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 08:37 pm:

It's repulsive. Almost as bad as sauerkraut, or however the hell you spell it. Actually, considering that the principle ingredient in both dishes is the same, it's not all that surprising.

By droopy on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 08:58 pm:

of the top of my head, i can think of 3 novels i've read in which the author uses the image of a person walking into a run-down apartment building to "the smell of boiling cabbage" to invoke squalor.

that's why i love it. cabbage in all its forms.

i like kraut best of all.

By sarah on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 09:47 pm:

damn straight.

at whole foods in the summer behind the deli counter they serve collard slaw. coleslaw with added shredded collard greens (lightly blanched). fuck yeah.

also, at the thai restaurant in honolulu where i bought dinner for me and my dad, they serve almost everything over raw shredded cabbage or on the side. that's half the reason i love the green papaya salad (extra spicy) so much. a huge heapum side of cabbage.

i always keep red cabbage in the fridge to slice up in tossed salads.

also, here is my own favorite cabbage recipe:

thinly slice a head of cabbage and a few green onions, then get a big wok or pan and saute it in a little olive oil, a little sesame oil, lots of crushed fresh garlic, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, and a shitload of powdered ginger spice. you can also add a dash of curry, but it's totally not necessary. sprinkle with raw sesame seeds and eat it up.

By Nelly on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 07:15 am:

what's in the irish boiled dinner?

By J on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 09:51 am:

Maybe corned beef and cabbage? I like cooked cabbage and kraut but I hate coleslaw,it may have something to do with being forced to eat a miserable concoction of green jello with raw cabbage in it that was part of my school lunch in grade school and puking it out in front of everyone in the cafeteria.

By droop on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 10:45 am:

when i say "irish boiled dinner," i mean grandma ann was an irish woman who boiled everything. a meal was generally chicken or brisket, potatoes, and a vegetable (usually from the italian neighbor's garden next door.) flavoring meant you put salt and pepper on it when it got to the table.

her signature dish, though, was loose-cooked ground beef over potatoes with swiss chard: boil taters; mash them and reserve tater water. sautee ground beef loosely in a pan, adding a little potato water to the pan. heap mashed taters on a plate and make a little well in the middle, then spoon ground beef into well. serve with swiss chard (boiled) on the side.

By agatha on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 11:18 am:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyuck.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 11:56 am:

boiled meats in general are kinda nasty.

i always remember the days when grandma was makin cabbage, as well as collards. that rank smell.

i didnt like em then, but I can deal with them now.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

Fine cuisine developed only in countries with the over-abundance of resources and leisure time to devote attention to the palate. ~150 years ago in Ireland, people had so little real food they would eat ashes and ground-up bones.

I say this only to gently remind the non-Irish why traditional Irish food is the way it is.

The English have no excuse.

By Hal on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

Don't mind cabbage, especially if its boiled, I like boiled cabbage...

I hate fucking coleslaw.

By Dougie on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 06:46 pm:

There's this fishmarket/restaurant down the street from me, they make the best coleslaw I've ever tasted. Slightly sweet, with an oniony tang to it. They won't tell me what they put in it.

I hate the little dab of coleslaw they give you at delis though, in the tiny little plastic containers. Usually, it has like an off, fishy taste.

I like just taking red and green cabbage, cutting it up like coleslaw, and putting vinegar & olive oil and salt and pepper on it. Boy howdy, that's some fine eatin'.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

Ahhh Fuckin Gross man....

The stir fry sounds good though...

Just never understood slaw...I'm more of a potatos man.

By moonit on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 04:49 pm:

mmm potato. i love roast, baked, mashed, mmm.

By My Amazing Inner Ear on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

I ate the last of my sugar toasted peanuts. I found one of those plastic bubbles, that little toys come in from the gum ball machine, and put that big chunk of stuff that fell out of my ear into it. I don't have the urge to eat it, but If I get stuck in the elevator on the way home, I will eat it before I begin to chew off my fingers or toes. Thats assuming that no one realizes that I'm stuck in there for a really long time. Maybe I'll take the stairs instead.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:01 pm:

have you seen those collectable figures from bubble gum machines called "Homies" ???

the mrs. is collecting those should anyone run across them.

Are potatos your enemy moonit?

By My Amazing Inner Ear on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

You know, speaking of sugar toasted peanuts, have any of you ever had "Boston Baked Beans"? A company called Ferrer or something like that, makes them. They are my all time favorite candy, and I can't find them anywhere. Apparently they would buy grade B peanuts, ones too small to use anywhere else, and apply this sugary brownish red coating on them, finished off by a light spray of some sort of waxy stuff. Just the thought of them takes me back to my childhood in Spofford New Hampshire. My parents would take us to the general store/post office, and let us buy candy. My brothers and sisters would always get something different, but I alway got Boston Baked Beans. Boy, I really miss those. I miss Spofford too. Oh Well, I hope they are both still around.

By The ants under the sink on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

By Dougie on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

Yeah, I've had those. Haven't seen them in a while. I'd bet they were made by Necco (New England Confectionary co. -- the people who make Necco wafers. Went there 2 years ago on a visit to Cambridge. Pretty cool place). I also miss Chico-Stix. Somewhere there's a website where you can order obscure candy. Marathon bars are no longer made. I really like Lion bars, which you mostly get in Europe.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:24 pm:

Just eat the wax lady and save your money.

By My Amazing Inner Ear on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 06:29 pm:

OH WOW!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT LINK!!! I am going to order the 3.5 lb bag! You have no idea how much I love these! THANK YOU!

By Czarina on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 08:02 am:

Both cabbage and peanuts cause flatulence.

By Hal on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 02:48 pm:

Cool.

By J on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 01:01 am:

It's a gas gas gas

By The Watcher on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

By moonit on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 06:27 pm:

I could spend a small fortune there you know.

By The Watcher on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

So far I've managed to avoid spending any money at all.

I just check them out occassionally and drool.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact