Tomato Sauce

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Tomato Sauce
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 11:55 am:

I just called my mother and got her recipe. This is good stuff.

Take one medium onion, chop it fine, and sautee it in a sauce pan in about 4 TBspoons of good quality olive oil. (Note: amount of olive oil is a guess.)

Chop one clove of garlic finely and stick in there.

Sautee until clear.

Throw in 1 med can of crushed tomatoes and 1 med can of tomato puree (if you like it thin) or 2 med cans of crushed tomatoes (if you like it thicker).

Throw in a bunch of parsley, approx. 1 TBspoon of basil, and more oregano than basil. (Use your own discretion). Add a little bit of salt and pepper.

Stick some raw sausage into which you've stuck a fork (to drain the juices) into the sauce.

ADD TWO HEAPING TABLESPOONFULS OF SUGAR.

Cook for an hour. Stir frequently.

Try this and tell me what you think. You may like yours better. That's not the point. I want you to tell me what you think of this sauce objectively -- comparing it to nothing else, what do you think?

By droopy on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 12:15 pm:

sounds good.

did i ever tell you that i've made several frittati(ae?) since getting your dad's recipe. if i did, i would've said something like they are the mutant outcast bastard children of his recipe, but that i'm so proud of the fact that i can flip it over in the pan without screwing it up that it makes up for it.

By Spider on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 12:26 pm:

You've nailed it then! If you can flip it over, it's a success.

My dad would be overjoyed that you are experimenting with his recipe. That's the whole beauty of the frittata - the recipe is just its skeleton.

In fact, my dad never makes the same one twice unless we ask for something specific. Everything with him is an experiment. Cooking is his one creative outlet.

By droope on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

they're still mutants frittatas. but they're my mutants.

i have sent your sauce recipe to someone so they will make it and invite me over for dinner to taste the results.

have you still not gotten the package i sended you?

By patrick on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 12:36 pm:

your mom's recipe sounds very similar to one i did a while back.

i always sautee the onion, pepper and garlic first in roughly 2,3 tbl spoons of oil (im guessing). If im using ground beef in the sauce, i use the same pan i sauteed in to cook the meat, since its already seasoned. A trick I learned, surprisingly from the movie Goodfellas, is to slice the garlic thin enough, as thin as possible, so it practically melts in the sautee.

In this case, I pan fried some turkey sausages, diced them up and put them in the sauce.

I did it all minus the sugar and it was delic. i still havent tried the sugar method, but will soon.

By Spider on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 01:09 pm:

Droopy, check your email.

I'm going to make this sauce tomorrow so I can confirm its goodness.

By Dougie on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

A lot of people out here catch blueclaw crabs and boil them up in their tomato sauce, and then pick out the meat and put it back in the sauce. Must be a godawful mess to do that, but I bet it tastes good.

By Nate on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

i always squeeze the sausage out of it's casing and brown it in the pan pre-onion.

remove, sautee the onion and garlic in the pork fat plus olive oil.

delglaze the pan with a little red wine before adding the tomatoes.

return the sausage at the point spider would add hers.

always use fresh herbs.

i add bell pepper and mushrooms, too.

and everything is big chunks. big balls of sausage, big chunks of bell pepper. halved mushrooms. half dollars of onion.

By patrick on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

i use fresh herbs when i can. moreso recently now that i'm drying them when I'm done. I was always buying a bunch of say...basil...and using what i needed for a particular recipe, then the rest of the bunch went bad over the week.

even dried, buying it fresh is better.

By droop on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 04:37 pm:

the person i'd sent the sauce recipe to emailed me back to say:

I would probable cook the sausage first and then add to sauce to simmer to keep it from being too greasy. What kind of sausage? italian - i would
    imagine

By heather on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 04:54 pm:

sausage cooked a long time becomes flavorless flesh. yuck.

patrick- you can put fresh herbs in ziplocs and keep them in the freezer. they wilt, but they're quite similar to fresh for cooking.

dried herbs and spices keep better in the freezer as well.

By Spider on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 09:23 pm:

Yes, sweet Italian sausage. We don't pre-cook ours, because cooking it in sauce gives the sausage a nice flavor and vice versa. I've never found the sauce to be greasy....but then, I am a greasy Italian, so I probably couldn't tell.

My mom uses fresh herbs only, but I always use the dried ones because their flavor is more potent.

[Today at work, this guy tried to joke with me about being a greasy Italian and failed.]

By Spider on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

PS. Droopy, the plural of frittata is frittate.

By patrick on Monday, February 4, 2002 - 11:36 am:

dried? more potent? are you sure?

the aroma of fresh basil can reak the house up, it seems odd that dried would have more flavor.

im probably going to hunker down and whip up some sort of tomato sauce/backed chicken dish tonight and watch a hockey game.

i've been sick all weekend with some sort of virus, surviving on a steady diet of gatorade and mashed potatos, seeing as thats all i could keep down.

my appetite is coming back and a recent trip to the store was made so we have some goodies on hand.

By Spider on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:58 pm:

Okay, I have some adjustments to make to the recipe above.

Make it one small onion. Chop very fine.

Two TEASPOONS of sugar. (A million apologies for my mistake.)

A little (LITTLE) bit of wine.

I made it this weekend and it was great, if I say so myself. I used turkey sausage for health and kept 4 links whole and stripped 3 links of their casing and threw in the smushed chunks. I also used one can of crushed tomatoes and one can of diced tomatoes, which worked out splendidly.

I had the leftovers last night -- fabulous. Pasta is always best the second day, after the sauce has permeated the dough.

By Spider on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:58 pm:

PS. I used fresh (but frozen) basil and oregano.

By patrick on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:07 pm:

you know, i tried adding the sugar. i didnt measure it, just 2 pinches and i kinda of missed the tart, acidic taste from the sauce.

i did add the wine though.

By PI on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 01:14 am:

Sounds rather fattening and full of colesterol.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact