coffee, coffee, who loves coffee?

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: coffee, coffee, who loves coffee?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By pez on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 02:48 am:

i have to admit, i haven't been a coffee drinker for long. about the first time i willingly drank a cup of plain coffee was in late february.

since then, i drink it every time i notice i can get some for free. mmm, coffee. black only, no sugar, no cream, it makes me hyper unless it's plain.

well, today i outdid myself. went to brunch with alex and joe and ended up sitting with (emo) dave (of "on subbing" zine), jenna, barrett (a boy i've made out with), aaron and nathan (of "brainfag"). i was a little bored, so i drank more and more coffee, stacked the various condiments and menus and talked a ton. can we say caffeine rush?

so anyway, once that was over, i went home and changed for work before i went downtown for a symposium meeting. had another cup o'caffeine there. on my way back, it hit me. bad.

coffee stomachache. gotta pee gotta pee gotta pee. bounce off the walls all wiggly and jittery. wheeeeeeeee....

and so, a toast: to my first "real" caffeine rush!

By TBone on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 10:14 am:

Rock on.

Black is the only way.

Coffee is good for you.

By eri on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 11:08 am:

Caffeine rushes can be great when you need energy to spare.

A friend of mine started drinking black coffee every morning to get her going. Once it was a regular habit she started getting the "coffee shits" every morning. At the sime time she would get diarhhea that stank up the whole house! Watch out for coffee shits!

Other than that coffee is great! Have some every morning!

By Dougie on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 11:58 am:

Eeww. All I know is I can't drink it after 5 pm if I want to sleep that night. I can drink buckets of it up until then, but 5 pm is my cutoff time.

By Spider on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:07 pm:

I can't ingest anything with over 25 mg caffeine in it. It makes my heart act like a rabid wolverine in a small cage.

By patrick on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

how on earth would you know ho many milligrams youi are taking in spider? you actually keep track?

wow pez, you're growing up...

be warned though...when I was your age I went over board. I ended up in an emergency room in such pain from caffeine deficiency headches.

i was up to about 3 quad (read em, 4 shots espresso each) mochas or lattes a day.

By Spider on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:25 pm:

By drpy on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

by my calculations, i've had a caffeine habit for 22 years. lately i've switched to tea during the business week and black coffee on the weekends.

i'm feelin' mighty lonesome
    haven't slept a wink
    i walk the floor from nine to four
    in between I drink
    black coffee
    love's a hand-me-down brew
    i'll never know a Sunday
    in this weekday room

By pez on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:42 pm:

135(mg^2)*4=540(mg^2) when i don't have my resistance levels up.

i drink coffee maybe once, twice a week. and usually only one or two cups.

*thought of the day*
    it sure is an interesting world, when an addiction marks a rite of passage.

By TBone on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

In high school, I was doing a few quads a day, but I've toned it down since then.

I'm not addicted anymore. Or more accurately, my addiction has moved on and up. Coffee is entirely optional anymore.

By Antigone on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:58 pm:

Addiction to breathing marks a rite of passage. Breaking that addiction, another.

By pez on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 01:07 pm:

but you don't end up in the hospital with heart problems due to overdosing on oxygen.

By drpy on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

at least part of my addiction has to do with self-medication. paralysis affects the circulation, and a little caffeine kick is just what it needs. also, my damaged lungs get a little tight sometimes, and caffeine opens up the air passages.

By Spider on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 01:24 pm:

The tannins in tea make you metabolize caffeine differently from when you have it in any other medium. They mitigate its bad effects.

By pez on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

i love tea. i'm drinking lemon and ginger right now. i got some fanmail the otherday (my first!) and it had a packet of the same flavor, just a different brand. i love psychic zine readers.

By agatha on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 02:19 pm:

when i first met dave, he used to drink three or four triple iced americanos a day. crazy man.

coffee is my only addiction, besides the internet.

By wisper on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 02:57 pm:

i can't stand more than 2 sips of coffee, but i
    love everything else about it. The smell, coffee
    cake, i even have coffee scented potpourri and
    perfume. I love iced coffee. But not real coffee.
    ewwww.

i was hooked on pepsi thought. For years.

when i'm working, i don't stop drinking tea. I
    think i just use it as a base for warm milk and
    sugar.
    My first experience with tea was when i was 12
    or so, i had to wake up early and run a ticket
    booth for something my parents were doing,
    and they told me to try drinking tea to stay
    awake. And it was free. So i drank it. A lot. All
    morning.
    When it was time to go home, they asked why
    i was surrounded by sugar packets.
    "I just had some tea"
    "how much tea did you have?!"
    "like.....8 or 9 cups."
    "of TEA?"
    "yeah, i like it, it's good."
    "do you know how much caffeine that is?!"
    "tea has caffeine?"
    "YES. LOTS"
    ".....is that why i'm sweating?"

Sometimes i think i'm going to become like
    the character on Kids in the Hall, the small
    man that's a slave to the tea. And the doctor
    does a blood test on him, and it's all tea.

By eri on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 07:35 pm:

Coffee in the morning, beer or wine at night, and I haven't quit smoking yet. At this rate I will die at a young age.

By heather on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 08:10 pm:

i was promised that graduate school would make me into a smoking coffee drinker

my friends tried to help but nothing worked

By semillama on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 09:18 pm:

i found this drink called "Tremble" which is a
    cold coffee/milk thing. I think it must be
    equivalent to like, 5 cups of coffee because
    after a half hour of drinking, then you tremble
    tremble tremble.

I find that on days that I can wake up naturally (
    no alarm, which are woefully few and far
    between), i don't want coffee.

So, I blame my coffee habit on the evils of the
    capitalist system.

By sarah on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 10:15 pm:

i love coffee, everything about it, in all its incarnations [except latte, which is just too much damn milk. milk is gross.] i love its effects, except when i have too much, but i haven't allowed that since one terrible caffeine incident in 1998 or 1999.

that said, i don't like needing or relying on coffee. when i feel dependent, i quit. but so far i always start drinking it again.

By sarah on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

and actually, i am mostly a tea drinker. i have a whole cupboard full of 20-30 different varieties of tea. i often make my own teas. also, i collect tea pots and fussy little tea cups and saucers made of china.

tea is a better ritual than coffee.

By heather on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 10:24 pm:

there is a cupboard full of hot chocolate here

like 20-30 different kinds

no one drinks it

By moonit on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 02:27 am:

I love hot chocolate.

Apparently its good with a shot of Baileys.

By Hal on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:51 am:

My apendex produces caffeine now, I have become an evolved form of human...

I consume enough caffeine in a 3 hour period to kill a small animal.

It flows through my veins at about a 1/4 ratio with my blood....

Oh and have I mentioned I don't sleep much anymore?

By eri on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:57 am:

I ran out of coffee. No coffee today. Now tea. I like tea, but it isn't coffee.

By Platypis on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 01:28 pm:

I have oodles of tea. It's not really a tea/coffee preference, it's just that I never buy coffee. Right now I'm drinking Russian caravan. This stuff is a little weak, unfortunately.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

I hate hot tea. almost despise it.
    I love cold tea.
    i love coffee, cold or hot.
    i NEED coca-cola.

Did you realize the cocoa bean (i think it was the cocoa bean) is the flesh of black men?
    it's true, i saw it on the tv.
    this guy says one thing i want to say to all you chocolate eaters out there, you are eating my flesh....

seriously.
    this sun key board is taking some getting used to

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 02:24 pm:

here it is
    Brian Woods: “The exact words were, ‘If I had something to say to the people who are eating chocolate, they would not be good words. They enjoy something I suffer to make. They are eating my flesh.’”
    What the filmmakers and chocolate makers agree on is that a boycott of chocolate would only depress the already low price of cocoa beans even more, creating more hardship in Africa.

Hmmm, so how is that easter candy?

By eri on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

Wait a minute. African's have slaves?

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

Brazil:
    Slavery in the Rainforests
    Forced at gunpoint to cut down remote rainforests, Brazilian slaves produce charcoal for no pay.
    A Victim's Story
    Jobless and hungry, the Rocha family followed the promise of gato (recruiter) and traveled by truck to the Minas Gerais region hoping for the better life. After arrival to the batteria (work camp), the gato informed the Rochas - at gunpoint - that they would be charged for travel, tools, food, and shelter. The family suddenly found itself trapped in forced labor, working 18-hour days to pay off an ever-accruing debt. While at the batteria, Marta Rocha, eight years old, inhaled smoke on a regular basis. She began to cough blood and now can no longer work. The Rochas are underfed and their debt continues to amass with no end in sight. Marta's medical needs further increase the debt, and without her work, the debt climbs even higher. Hundreds of miles from their native village, the Rochas are isolated and enslaved in their own country.

The Rochas are a few of the roughly 30,000 people enslaved in debt bondage in Brazil (some estimates cite as many as 100,000 slaves). Lured to remote regions of the rainforest and surrounded by armed guards, poor Brazilians clear the forest, produce charcoal, and maintain the camps. No one is paid, nor has the freedom to leave.

Double whammy.
    slavery and rainforest

By Spider on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 03:56 pm:

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

United Arab Emirates:
    Small Boys Control Large Camels - But Who Controls the Boys?
    Enslaved because of their size, young boys are trafficked into the UAE and forced to ride camels for sport.
    at least the camels arent riding the boys.....

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:14 pm:

Oh, spunkster. You're a slave to your political beliefs.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 06:11 pm:

i once received a tin of twilling's russian caravan packed with kind buds.

that was nice.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 06:37 pm:

I once received a tin of wolf nipple chips from Slobodan Milosevic.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

Mmmm... nipples.

LS

By TBone on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:58 pm:

holy fuck... Feels like I was just run through a wood chipper.

Had a migrane today. Started about 11:00 am. Took two shots of Imitrex, one nasal, one subcutanious. Still spent an eternity in Hell. 3 hours as measured from outside my ball of pain.

The nausea is the worst part.

I'm all shaky now, kinda queezy. Balance is off and I can't make my brain work quite right. But the pain is gone.

Shitting fuck. Today was my day to get "All Quiet on the Western Front" read so I can write a paper for Thursday. I suppose I should get reading.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:59 pm:

"Shitting fuck."

Scat.

LS

By Platypus on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:05 pm:

Slave labour is used to produce coffee, too. Probably tea also, but I won't think about it while I'm drinking yet another cup of Russian caravan. Which, sadly, arrived sans bud.

By pez on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:47 pm:

i have a headache from carrying on about my taxes earlier.

my dad hardly touches his, my mom doesn't at all.

but i'll go make a cup o'tea, sounds pretty good right about now.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 09:44 pm:

Did you know that the word "Slav" which is of
    course the largest and predominant ethnic
    group of Eastern Europe and whose blood
    courses through many of our veins, that word
    is derived from the Latin for "slave?"

It's true.

Did you know you can make mice fart by
    holding them upside down and tapping them
    on the belly with a pencil? (ATC)

By Nate on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 11:22 pm:

i'm derived from a latin slave! the goddamn italians owe me some money!

By Spider on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:38 am:

We've always thought my dad was more Slavic than Italian. He's from the northeastern-most region, next to Slovenia, and his dialect has Js in it, so this isn't unlikely.

He's a very un-Italian Italian. He's very quiet, unemotional, all food tastes the same to him, doesn't like music, reads a lot. The only Italian thing about him is that gold chain around his neck with the big crucifix hanging on it, but he only wears that because he's got no sartorial taste, either.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:30 am:

He sounds like the pope!

By Fetidbeaver on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:40 am:

did you know that you can make me cum by holding me upside down and tapping my scrotum with a pencil?

By Spider on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

He's got a big round head like the Pope, too. Hmmm.

By pez on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 11:46 am:

to get on topic, i found chocolate-flavored chai tea at the store last night.

By eri on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:58 pm:

I have coffee again!

By TBone on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

I drink a lot of Yerba Mate tea. I like the green more than the roasted.

It's got a nice pick-up effect to it, but doesn't jitter me as much as coffee does in large quantities.

By Bean Picker on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 02:24 pm:

STOP EATING MY FLESH!!! ANYTHING WITH THE COCOA BEAN IS MY FLESH!!!

By Bubbles on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

mmmmmmm coffee. mmmmmm cocoa bean. guess what you're having for dinner tonite bean picker? Chocolate!!!!!!!!

By Coocoocoochoo on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 03:54 pm:

Did you know you can make your pencil smelly by sticking it up your ass

By Mala-dicta on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 08:00 pm:

I'm sure you use it for a swizzle stick too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact