Question for Sarah re no-bake cookies

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Question for Sarah re no-bake cookies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:51 am:

Sarah, a few months ago, you wrote:

"i made a half batch of no-bake oatmeal peanut butter chocolate cookies and ate about 3/4 of them, half of that before they even cooled off."

Would you be able to post the recipe? (My oven is on the fritz again.)

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:54 am:

(PS. I feel ravenous this morning. I feel like I could eat and eat and eat and would never be full. I feel like Malcom in "MacBeth" when he said, "All your wives, your daughters, your matrons, your maids could not fill up the cistern of my lust," except I'm talking about food and the cistern of my stomach.)

By sarah on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:19 am:

oooh i know that feeling. it's hormonal, usually.

you know what you might try doing - this is something that has worked for me lately. try adding a couple tablespoons of oil (flaxseed or olive oil preferably) to some of your food. i've added about 400 calories of fat to my diet over the last month, and my appetite feels normal for the first time in well over a year. even during high hormone times, my cravings are not as all-consuming, i'm not as ravenous or constantly thinking about food. my theory is that my body is getting enough fat consistently, at very regular intervals throughout the day, and doesn't go into some fake starvation mode. i can go much longer periods without being hungry or even thinking about food, and i'm eating regular meals, and even indulging in treats and wine regularly.

in fact, it's hard to believe, but very effortlessly and surprisingly quickly dropped back down *almost* into my size 6 jeans again - but more importantly than that - physically i feel better than i have in a long time.

anyway, yeah, let me dig around in my recipe index and i'll post it here. they are really yummy.

By sarah on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:30 am:

ingredients:

1-1/2 cups white sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3 cups oatmeal

directions:

mix the sugar and cocoa in a saucepan. add the butter and milk. Bring to a soft boil, but do not boil longer than one minute.

add vanilla, peanut butter and oatmeal. Stir till completely mixed.

before the mixture cools down, quickly drop spoonfuls on waxed paper to set. or be a piggy like me and just eat it right out of the saucepan with a huge wooden spoon.

By sarah on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:31 am:

oh, also i recommend using natural peanut butter, not like Jif, and butter but NOT margarine. it makes a big difference, taste-wise - especially the peanut butter.

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:38 am:

You're right -- it's probably hormonal. I've always had an irregular cycle, so I'm not positive it's PMS time, but it's likely.

It could be that I'm not getting enough fat, too. In the past month I've tried hard to cut out most of the fat from my heretofore eat-whatever-you-want diet, and now that I think about it, I'm now getting probably under 15 g of fat a day.

How about adding cheese instead of oil? (God, I love cheese. I miss it. Parrano, manchego, cheshire, caerphilly, laughing cow cheese, mmmmmmmmm.) Cheese has got calcium and protein, too.

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:40 am:

OOh! Thanks for the recipe!! They sounds really, really yummy. I'll make them tonight if I can get to the store after work.

By sarah on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:52 am:

yeah, cheese is fine. i mean, fat is fat. cheese doesn't work well for me because i'm kinda grossed out by most dairy products (except ice cream). cheese also has other nutritive value. but the reason i recommended olive oil or flaxseed oil is because they're considered "good" fats. though personally i don't believe in the idea of "bad" fats.

as for the cookies, i think the original recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar, but i found that to be WAY too sweet to my taste. it tasted much better and richer when i used 1.5 cups. but if you prefer things really really sweet, make it 2 cups of sugar.

By kazoo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

those cookies sound good. I haven't made cookies in a long time. peanut butter cookies used to be my favorite. now, it's molasses but I can't seem to make good molasses cookies. I make very good oatmeal cookies, as long as they don't have chocolate or butterscotch in them...I can't seem to get them right.

The whole concept of good fats used to be utterly foreign to me. I don't concern myself with the particulars, all I know is that I buy and eat peanut butter and guacamole on a regular basis, which I thought I would never do. I seem to have a much higher metabolism than I used to and I'm not sure why. I think it's the elimation of processed foods and all the soy protein I eat. I tried to cut down on carbs once. That was a big mistake, a scary moody kazoo appeared.

I'm eating peanutbutter and strawberry-rhubarb jam on some kind of hippie-sprouty-bread for lunch.

By sarah on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

oh man, i love sprouted bread. i get this stuff called soy nut crunch sprouted bread from central market that rocks my world. it is the BEST for pb&j.

btw, i meant i added 400 fat calores *per day* to my diet over the last month. not 400 calories over the last 30 days.

when i'm not paying attention, i find myself easily slipping into a low-fat diet. it's like my brain has been programmed to think fat=bad. but that's when all hell starts to break loose in my body, and then i can't figure out what the hell is wrong. but when i'm diligent about making sure to eat a lot of fat - like at *least* 40 grams a day, preferably more - my hunger stabilizes, i don't suffer severe cravings, i have more energy, i can concentrate better, i don't get depressed, i sleep better, and i lose weight really fast.

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:28 pm:

This is very interesting. I will have to make more of an effort to eat more healthy fat.

A year or so ago, I went a month eating as few carbs as possible. I lost about 10 pounds (since gained back), was fuller of energy than I can ever remember being, but was mentally screaming from the torture of eating nothing but meat and leafy vegetables for every meal.

So forget that. Bring on the pasta, fruit, and chocolate.

By semillama on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

i can't even begin to think about what food i
    should eat now, i can't spare the neurons. I
    need some one to just make nutritious meals
    for me.

By kazoo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:08 pm:

you are also splitting your infinitives

sorry...couldn't help my little nerd self...and if I can't help with dinner, then grammar...maybe?

By agatha on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:45 pm:

raise your hand if you are expecting your period within the week. i'm curious how many chicks here are on similar cycles...

By kazoo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:07 pm:

<with hands down>

...but I plan on craving chocolate and being cranky within the week anyway

By Lapis on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 08:15 pm:

Hand up...

I'm expecting mine on Halloween or Wednesday. No chocolate, it's a shame, but plenty of red vines to tide me over.

By Platypus on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:26 pm:

*with both hands firmly down*

I just made a massive bowl of curry and wrote a great post about how much I've come to love okra as a result, but then the computer ate it. Damn, damn, damn.

The cats just had something with liver and alfredo sauce, I guess. They probably eat better than I do most of the time. Although fatty. Mr. Bell in particular is looking a little chubby.

Hm. I have some Green and Blacks in my secret choclaty stash, far from the hands of marauding housemates. Er, make that *the* marauding housemate. Maybe I'll go eat some. Maya Gold. That stuff is the bomb.

By moonit on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:55 pm:

*hand up*

This is trippy cause the two girls I sit with at work are also due around the same time as me.

By Lapis on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:27 am:

We don't talk about them much here. One of my housemates uses the Keeper, the other steals organic tampons. It's never really an issue unless the dog fishes bloody tampons and pads out of the garbage. Mmmm, mmmm.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:40 am:

My hand is half-way up. I hope this isn't too much information, but since puberty I've always had a very irregular cycle, sometimes going 6 months between periods. Then, mysteriously, starting last October, it just straightened out. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. But stress knocked it out of whack in September, so I'm back to having to closely monitor my abdomen for twinges of cramps, which I'm expecting to feel any day now.

I couldn't go to the store yesterday for the oatmeal, so no cookies were made nella casa di Spider. I'll slip out this afternoon on my lunch break.

By wisper on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:03 pm:

*hand down*

shit, Lapis, i tried the Keeper once, and you just reminded me. *shudder*

first i thought it was the best thing ever invented, imagine, almost a whole day without changing anything? And no more spending a fortune a year on 'supplies'! And it was easy enough to get in. I was in heaven.

But that evening.... me and my hand went on a far, FAR too scenic journey. At depths that no man had ever dare tread. And i left the bathroom 45 minutes later, shaken, and knowing that i'd just learned far more than i ever wanted to know about the south. I never spoke of it.

damn.

By agatha on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:46 pm:

i'm peeing my pants. thanks, wisper.

spider, you and i are most definitely in league with one another, because every month we post overly emotional things at the same times. i'm convinced of it. moonit, i believe you and i have discussed this before, and indeed we are in league.

where's sarah's hand?

By moonit on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:41 pm:

The keeper???

That is nasty.

'But you may try it RISK FREE (except for nominal costs of mailing). If you are not completely satisfied with The Keeper Menstrual Cup, you may return it within 3 months for a full refund, less shipping and handling'

So uh do they recycle the ones that people send back?

ewwwww

Yeah Agatha we have - its so wierd.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:23 am:

in spite of the fact that I don't bleed, I still seem to go through the cycle of feeling bloated and wanting to eat and eat and eat and getting awfully sad. but at least it only lasts for a day.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:54 am:

that looks like a medievil torture device

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:46 pm:

By agatha on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:29 pm:

heh, that's very funny. i guess me and 80% of the world are on the rag today.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:33 pm:

my hand is down. i only have periods if i take progesterone pills for 10 days, and even that doesn't always work, and i haven't taken any in a few months.

of course, i still experience some sort of cycle, though it's always unpredictable both in terms of when it comes and how long it stays. but the weird thing is, i haven't had one of those bloated / hungry/ emotional spells in an amazingly long time (knocking very hard on an enormous piece of wood).

By agatha on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:03 pm:

that's excellent. i can't wait for menopause.

By Platypus on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:04 pm:

depo provera is a wonderful thing.

By sarah on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:45 am:

goddammit. you ladies jinxed me, and i'm a day late for halloween. where's the fuckin chocolate? it's time to eat.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:56 am:

Strangely, my hunger has gone away, and I'm still waiting for Aunt Florence. I'm not bloated, and I'm in a good mood. Maybe Florence is invisible?

I got up early this morning and fixed myself an egg, ham slice (with my car back, I could go to the grocery store again!), and glass of grapefruit juice for breakfast. Delicious.

By sarah on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

ooops, false alarm. i simply forgot that i forgot to eat dinner last night, and woke up ravenous. all better now.

By kazoo on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

a false chocolate alarm? I don't believe you. There's no such thing.

I had a slice of evil greasy pizza yesterday. It was wonderful.

By kazoo on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

p.s. agatha or dave., did cleo dress up?

By sarah on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

i was wondering the very same thing this morning. last year we got to see photos of cleo dressed up.

oh, and don't you worry kazoo - i'm saving up my chocolate consumption for tonight :) the false alarm was thinking it was PMS.

By agatha on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 07:30 pm:

cleo dressed up like a leopard. it was kind of lame, in my opinion, but she liked it. she borrowed the costume from her friend. she did have a cool old cat mask from the fifties that our friend gave her, that was the item that made the costume even remotely cool.

regardless, she's so cute that she probably got about five pounds of candy.

By agatha on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

ps, i'm in the "brown" stage of my cycle. heh, that's so nasty.

By Joe on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 01:00 am:

yeah,...it's great that you thought it necessary to tell us that.

By dave. on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 02:15 am:

barf.

By Lapis on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 02:34 am:

If you don't like us talking about our periods, then don't read it.

Speaking of which.

Has anyone else ever noticed that "scented" tampons get so much slimier than others? Sometimes it'ss downright disgusting.

By dave. on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 10:44 am:

but. . .brown?

By Spider on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 10:53 am:

Agatha made me laugh. And here I was worried about giving too much information!

By sarah on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

By agatha on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

lady river. ha!

c'mere, dave, give me some sugar!

sorry, joe, i'm sure i could be making more of myself right this very moment, instead of telling all about the "brown phase" of my cycle. i'll get on with that self improvement immediately.

By agatha on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

lapis, welcome. you're alllll right!

By Nate on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

speaking about brown phase, i had this crazy shit the other day. it came out the consistancy of warm peanutbutter, but as it filled the bottom of the bowl it hardened in the water. i have never seen anything like it.

when i went to flush, my portland crap had sealed the bowl. i had to go in with heather's toothbrush and break it up before it would go down.

By agatha on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

portland?

was it an electric toothbrush?

By Nate on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 02:11 pm:

like portland cement.

it's a normal toothbrush!

By Lapis on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

Love that ketchup.

How can crap be Portland?

By kazoo on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

what the hell you been eatin' boy?

By Nate on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

mostly hotdogs, beer and progresso soup.

bourbon, 7up.

pizza.

yup.

By Lapis on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

Ew.

Yous should eat more veggies and drink more water.

By Platypus on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 04:39 pm:

please tell me you got heather a new toothbrush.

By Nate on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

excuse me, there are veggies in progresso soup.

By Platypus on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 08:54 pm:

and water, for that matter.

By Joe on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 12:28 am:

it's all good, aggie. i just thought it was funny.

By J on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 01:22 am:

I think like Platypus.

By sarah on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 10:42 am:

and just like that, out of the blue, i got my period this morning. should i blame it on your girls?

actually, here's the weird part:

i mentioned this a week ago, but it bears repeating because it is so unusual. for what seems like a long time now, i have not been craving chocolate or sweets at all or have been experiencing any PMS type cyclical symptoms that usually torture me. in fact, haven't had much of an appetite in general, which is *very* rare for me.

so yesterday around 2 p.m. i suddenly became ravenous. and i tried to talk myself out of it, and get zen about just noticing and experiencing the hunger and not acting on it, because i had already eaten a big breakfast and a big lunch. but around 4-5 p.m. i couldn't take it any more. i was literally shaking from the need to eat.

so i grabbed the leftover gourmet chocolate bars that have been stored in my freezer since my birthday. there were half of three large bars - one was bitter chocolate, one was dark chocolate, and one was milk chocolate with hazelnuts. i thawed them out and dipped them in peanut butter. then i scarfed down four servings of baked tofu. then i had two pieces of the most epic homemade apple pie ever (agatha, i'll email you the recipe later today). i finished off the little binge with a few big handfuls of mixed roasted nuts.

then i stopped not because i was full, but just because i had stopped shaking. i could have kept going, but had enough sense to stop before making eating myself into feeling totally ill.

this morning i woke up and discovered i had started my period... without progesterone pills! without gaining 10-12 lbs from bloating. without a week prior of severe emotional disturbances. without days upon days of insatiable hunger - instead just a few hours of intense chocolate cravings. and i love that now i can explain rationally my little food episode yesterday.

By Spider on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 10:57 am:

Well, I'm still in PMS mode.

I weighed myself on Saturday. I weigh 20 lbs. more than I expected. Complete shock and horror. Is it possible to gain that much weight and not change in size? My clothes still fit me perfectly, and some even feel looser. WTF?

Some may be attributable to water retention, but 20 lbs?? I've been lifting weights this past month, so perhaps maybe possibly a couple of pounds might be increased muscle mass, but 20???

By sarah on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 11:01 am:

oh, that has happened to me before. i mean, 20 lbs is on the high side, but i wouldn't fret about it. i can gain 10-15 without noticing much in the way clothes fit. i'm sure once you have your period you will lose most of it again. plus, just eating a lot of sweets - even if you're not overeating - will make you retain water and make your body mimic weight-gain.

be careful though! i know how difficult it is to fight biological urges, but try not to let yourself get too comfortable with disinhibited PMS eating.

By Spider on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 11:16 am:

You got it. I'm drinking lots of water today to help flush my system, and I've declared sweets off-limits.

By trace on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 01:59 pm:

Did you ladies scare off all the boys?

By Dougie on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 07:06 pm:

I hardly hardly ever eat sweets, but lately I've been pigging out on leftover Halloween candy -- that's about the only time of the year I do it. We rented Insomnia and Frailty on Saturday, and I swear I sat there and ate Hersheys mini bars and Dots and Tootsie Rolls nonstop. I felt like crap when I went to bed.

Insomnia was disappointing, what with having Pacino and Robin Williams. Pacino did some kind of weird half Southern, half Brooklyn accent and was ostensibly a detective from LA. The story dragged and never really caught on fire, although I did enjoy the Alaskan scenery, and his name in the movie (Will Dormer) and the fugitive Robin Williams' (Walter Finch -- bird flying away, get it?) Two thumbs sideways for so so.

Frailty was much better. Bill Paxton directed it and acted in it -- Matthew McCaughehey (sp?) was great, and the story was excellent. It was slow in exposing the story, but it worked as opposed to Insomnia. I'd definitely recommend it.

Speaking of insomnia, I couldn't sleep to save my life last night, and the only thing I did differently than usual was that I had 2 big glasses of white grape juice before going to bed. I seem to remember that happening once before. Anybody know if grape juice has anything in it (beside the sugar) that would keep one awake?

By agatha on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 07:07 pm:

we kicked them all out. except for dougie.

By kazoo on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

I had a bit of insomnia last night. It was the ringing in my ears that was keeping me up.

I don't know anything about white grape juice and insomnia.

By Dougie on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 07:22 pm:

Didn't you get the fucking memo Trace?

It seemed like every time I was about to fade into sleep, a noise would roust me out of it. Either a car alarm, or a clunking noise from the baseboard heater, or my favorite -- a wheezing/whistling noise from my nose, when I would go from mouth breathing to nose breathing in the transition from being awake to falling asleep. That's a pisser. I got up twice, once at 12:30 and once at 2:30 and flipped mindlessly through tv channels. I've had that ringing thing too.

By kazoo on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 07:29 pm:

my ears always ring and sometimes they make different sounds too...sometimes its really sharp and other times it's this strange hollow creepy sound.

By dave. on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 10:28 pm:

my farts have entered the brown phase.

By sarah on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

did i ever mention that i have a silly crush on my boss? i would never get with him, not only because he's my boss, but also because i'm not attracted to him that way. but the man baked me thick, chewy brownies with white chocolate chips and brought them in for me today. is that love or what? just in the nick of time too, with all this menstrual hell you women have jinxed me with.

i didn't share them with anyone either.

By sarah on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 11:42 pm:

dougie, speaking as the world's foremost authority on insomnia, i can pretty much guarantee that grape juice, white or otherwise, is not specifically the cause for your sleeplessness. in fact, sugar at night time doesn't keep you awake, it makes you sleepy by releasing endorphines and hitting your seratonin receptors.

you know what helps me sleep when i don't have valium or ambien around? i invert my body. i do a head stand or lay on my back with my legs over my torso and my feet back behind my head. it's really relaxing after you're upright. if you have back problems though, just be careful.

i also find that sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed puts me to sleep too. but that's kind of a last resort tactic.

By Joe on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 12:15 am:

what is up with the foot of the bed? when i was a kid and we didn't have air conditioning, my parents would sleep inverted on really hot nights. what the fuck difference does that make?

By Nate on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 01:21 am:

"i invert my body. i do a head stand or lay on my back with my legs over my torso and my feet back behind my head. it's really relaxing after you're upright. if you have back problems though, just be careful. "

or if you're drunk.

By J on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:14 am:

I never have insomnia,I just drink till I pass out.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:24 am:

Occasionally, I have a problem with waking up and not being able to fall back asleep. My remedy is to lie on my back with my arms to my side, lie as still as I can, and imagine that I'm in the hospital with some disease that's made me really weak. So weak that every movement requires more strength than I have. I focus on breathing and try not to think about anything, just the in and out of my breath. When I succeed, I fall asleep pretty quickly.

Moving around a lot (getting up, tossing and turning) makes you more awake, and thinking about anything in particular keeps your brain up. You need no thought and no movement. (Sometimes I imagine that the body is like a snow globe and sleep comes in the form of the snow particles. The particles need to be settled for you to sleep, and moving around stirs them up.)

By Lapis on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

The other night at about 3 am, I awoke to the sound of an arguement outside my window. A man and a woman, the woman hysterical and the man quiet. Spanish.

It all ended rather suddenly. Silence. No car doors, no gunshots, they didn't move out of earshot. I threw on my bathrobe and looked up and down the street. Nothing.

The next morning two of my roommates were talking about it, so I know I'm not crazy. Went outside and walked up and down the sidewalk, searching for bloodstains, but the end of the arguement remains a mystery.

My insomnia is because I share my small bed with six large pillows, an assortment of blankets and sometimes the cat. I'm getting a new bed tomorrow, whoohoo!

By spunky on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

cant you kick some of the pillows off the bed???
    where do you live anyway?
    sounds like you live in our apartment complex.
    we have a commune that lives in the upstairs apartment. It used to be, what, 4 girls and two guys (all single, none of them dating), but some of them have already fled, so now I think it is down to 3 girls and one guy.
    They all moved here from Mass...
    There are always hispanics arguing around here. they feed thier kids tons of candy and sodas and chips and do not ever get on them for anything, and the kids run all over the place.
    car alarms go off all night long
    the shower upstairs running at all hours of the night, footsteps up and down the hall all night, i dont think i could ever sleep without chemical assistance.

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:36 am:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try them. Last night we had a nice little noreaster and it rained hard out all night -- rain while sleeping is a beautiful thing.

By Lapis on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

Nothing like that. I do live in the "bad" part of town, it's currently becoming more and more gentrified so there are fewer Mexican kids than before.

Arguements on the street are a seldom occurrence. There's been the odd drug deal on the corner but with more yuppies moving in there's more police patrolling the streets as well.

By Michael on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:03 pm:

im eatin' pussy

By moonit on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:39 am:

what right now? how can you see if your hands are on the right keys?

By sarah on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:53 pm:

hey hey, here's a new recipe. very quick to prepare. this was a HUGE hit today in the office breakroom and with my boss, who lately has become my personal food critic.

Pear and Ginger Cake (coffee cake)

3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup butter + 2 tbs butter, softened
    3 eggs
    3 teaspoons ground ginger (or 2 tea if you want something a bit less gingery)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1-1/2 cups self rising flour
    or
    1-1/2 cup all purpose flour + 1 tbs baking powder + 1 teaspoon salt
    2 large pears - peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
    1 tbs brown sugar
    1-2 tbs finely diced crystalized ginger (optional)

Directions:

grease and line 2/ wax or parchment paper a 8-inch round deep cake pan.

beat together eggs, butter, sugar, ground ginger and cinnamon. mix in self-rising flour or sift together flour, baking powder and salt and mix with sugar mixture. mixture will be thick.

scrape into prepared pan. arrange pear slices on top, sprinkle with brown sugar, and dot with remaining 2 tbs butter. springle crystalized ginger on top if desired.

bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

(if you want a moister, less crumbly cake, add a heaping spoonful of sour cream to the sugar/egg/butter mixture.)

By sarah on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 11:18 pm:

rock! tonight i baked this for the bday party tomorrow.
    holy hell did the batter taste good.

White Chocolate Apricot Cake

Ingredients
    1/2 cup butter
    6 oz white chocolate baking squares
    1/2 cup white sugar
    4 eggs
    1 + 3/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 or slightly more chopped dried (soft) apricots

Directions

Grease and line w/ wax paper a 9" round or square
    cake pan.

Break up the chocolate squares in half and melt over
    very low heat with the butter. Whisk until smooth.

Beat sugar and eggs together until fluffy. Pour in
    chocolate/butter mixture and beat until smooth.

Fold in flour, baking powder and salt until just
    combined. Stir in chopped apricots. Pour into pan and
    bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

* optional, i added a 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. i
    think 1/3 cup dessicated coconut would be yummy too.

in the morning i'm going to frost this cake with cream
    cheese frosting mixed with a little apricot preserves and
    decorate it with the new icing syringe (came with 5
    decorator attachments so i can make little stars and
    flowers and shit), which i bought at target for $2.99.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:17 pm:

okay, not only did every single person at the party take me aside to say how amazing the above cake was, one of the guys at the party asked me if i would bake his wedding cake!

and he was serious!

i made a white chocolate frosting to go on top, which made it just perfect.

White Chocolate Frosting

3 oz white baking chocolate
    4 oz (1/2 package) cream cheese, cold
    2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 + 1/4 cup powdered sugar

melt the chocolate for 1-2 minutes in a glass bowl in the microwave, stirring half way through and stirring until smooth.

using beaters, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. beat in white chocolate until well-blended. beat in powdered sugar, starting with one cup and adding more as you go until you get the desired consistency (some like smoother and some like firmer frosting - the more sugar you add, the firmer it gets).

By Spider on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

Oh, the agony. I should know better than to read your recipes anymore....well, at least not until I can eat more normally again....in a few months. *sigh*

I would eat that frosting by itself. White chocolate and cream cheese? MMMMMMmmmm.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

BTW, do you create these recipes yourself or are they from books?

By wisper on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

so, are you going to do the wedding cake?

i think that would be cool. Especially if it was one fo those 3 or 4 layered ones with every layer on a little pedistal with little baby roman colums holding them up, surrounded with lacey frills and roses and etc. I know i've been complaining about wedding planning on another thread but i think that pointless little detail crap like that is hillarious and would be so fun to do, for $$$. A cake that takes 3 days to decorate... it's so insane, i love it. Then you end up with this frilly white monstrosity.

of course we know sarah would make the most brilliant, stunning and delicious cake of all time.

How much could you charge for that?

By m on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

*Dr Evil voice* One Billion Dollars

By Spider on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

Gee, I'm stealing your WAYD post and sticking it here so I can find this recipe later on:

Honey Carrot Cookies

1/2 Cup softened butter (1 stick)
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    granulated sugar

Preheat over to 325F. Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla extract, and beat until thoroughly blended. In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg together, and slowly add to butter mixture. Stir in carrots. Flour hands and shape batter into 1-inch balls. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

Makes 3 dozen.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

DANGER DANGER DANGER! look what i've discovered!

Cajuzinho (i've nicknamed these treats "Brazilian Orgasms")

ingredients:

1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1 tablespoon margarine
    1 cup roasted peanuts, ground in a food processor
    3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder

about 30 peanuts to decorate

instructions:

over medium-low heat, stir the sweetened condensed milk, powdered cocoa, margarine and ground peanuts using a whisk or fork.

cook the mixture for about 10 minutes until it thickens enough to show the pan bottom during stirring.

pour the mixture in any greased dish and let it cool to room temperature. Take small amounts of the mixture with a teaspoon and make 1-2" cones or balls.

roll the cones or balls over granulated sugar and stuck a peanut half on top to decorate.

- if you don't want to use peanuts, you can use dessicated coconut as well.

- i took half the balls and dipped them in melted (but not too hot) dark chocolate to make bon-bon candies. holy fuck.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

good lord. I wish kazoo ate dairy, that's ridiculously easy.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

Rub it on her lips as she sleeps. That'll convert her. Or get you an ass whuppin'. Fun either way! :)

By kazoo on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

I have been eating dairy, my monthly dairy treat is now up to about twice a week. Me bum is not happy, but what are you going to do? It is all Heather and Yael's fault.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:41 pm:

I loooooove sweetened condensed milk. How do you spell the sound of Homer drooling?

I'm going to copy that recipe and give it to my mom (also a condensed milk lover) tomorrow night -- we can have the cookies on Easter!

By Nate on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

i've got some rice that i'll be mixing with honey and peanutbutter, wrapping that up in tortillas, dipping in egg french-toast (southerners: freedom-toast) style and frying in deep butter.

ok?

By sarah on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

here is a photo of the White Chocolate Apricot Cake that was such a big hit at the birthday party back in february.

and yeah, we actually did shots of goldschlagger. like some kind of sick joke.

you can dig around in that april03 directory to see photos of my garden (taken back in march... looks MUCH different now) and of me and darryenne and i think there's a photo of the bitch basket in there too.

By Nate on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:49 pm:

y'all. you crack me up.

btw: as most could tell by the description, the rice/peanutbutter/tortilla/french-toast thing was completely fucking over the top nasty.

goddamn marijuana.

By moonit on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

I thought that said goldshagger. Then I wondered why there'd be alcohol named after Anna Nicole.

By sarah on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:10 pm:

oh shit. you actually made that? i thought you were kidding.

dude, promise me next time you'll make your munchie food *before* you pick up the bong.

By Nate on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

i dunno. i've made some pretty good shit while baked out of my mind. i'd say, 1 in 10 stoner culinary explorations are worthy of repeating.

these are really good, a mild version of the above:

tortillas two at a time for 15 seconds in the microwave to soften them.

spread a thin layer of peanutbutter in the middle of a tortilla (crunchy is best, in my mind) and add about a teaspoon of good jam. fold the sides up so you have a little trapazoidal package.

fry in regular (salted) butter until nicely browned. sprinkle with granulated sugar.

fucking good. especially when you're baked out of your mind.

By patrick on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:57 pm:

you know what would fill that tortilla out?

bacon. some crispy bacon.

bacon seems to go good with the sweet, much like the bacon that gets drowned in syrup on your waffle plate.

By N ate on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 07:17 pm:

i think i might just agree.

hm.

By jack on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:35 am:

bacon, yeah.
    or HOT DOGS.

check it out.

diet for a small corner of the planet at certain points in time.
    (note: some prefer bacon to hotdogs. just listen to your body.)

breakfast (7am ish):
    2 hotdogs
    2 bowls "Corn Bursts" cereal
    1 can "Dr. Thirst" soda product.

lunch-type-meal (2pm ish):
    3 hotdogs
    1 can Beer

post-responsibilities-burn (6:45 ish):
    1 bowl
    (or)
    1/2 joint
    (or)
    1 bong load

Dinner-type-meal(7pm ish):
    3 hotdogs
    1 can Beer
    2 bowls "Corn Bursts" cereal
    1 can "Dr. Thirst" soda product

pre-sleep-bowl (9:30pm ish):
    1-2 bowl(s)
    (or)
    1/2 lrg. joint
    (or)
    1-2+ bong load(s)

Supper-type-meal (9:45pm ish):
    1 hotdog
    (or)
    1 bowl "Corn Bursts" cereal
    (plus)
    1 can Beer
    (or)
    1 can "Dr. Thirst" soda product
    (plus, optionally)
    More cans Beer
    (and/or)
    orally induced sexual gratification
    (and/or)
    chocolate
    (and/or)
    bubble bath
    (and/or)
    endorphin highs achieved through your particular preferences.

adapt freely for your particular timetable, tastes, moralities, and social lives. go forth and prosper.

disclaimer: poster may or may not agree with content of pilfered material. you figure it out, since you've got so much free time. ha ha.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:11 am:

i know a guy here who essentially eats that very diet, minus the bong hits. he's not overweight, but he smells. i mean, the boy showers at least once a day, but he smells. he smells like a ballpark floor after a game.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:55 pm:

and that is exactly the diet i had in college. i am wondering if i haven't posted it here at some point.

oh, i get it.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

Why, that's...uncanny.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:58 pm:

and no the least bit creepy.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

How long did you live like that?

I'm reminded of the Kids in the Hall sketch in which the two guys eat nothing but Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and develop huge tapeworms.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

maybe two months? at some point i moved to a diet that revolved around peanutbutter and jelly on toast, grilled cheese and cans of pickled jalapenos.

By sarah on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:37 am:

so glen wanted to visit the garden yesterday afternoon. it IS quite a sight these days. it appears that my relentless working of the soil with a few cubic yards of fresh compost is really paying off, despite the lack of rain.

i'm growing flax for the first time. glen and i pinched off the dried flower heads of the plant and munched on the flax seeds while he oooooh'd and aaahhhhh'd over my garden and i picked weeds and talked to all my plants.

my plants are fucking with me on purpose, in a good way. they're sneaky; one day they are completely covered in flowers but without any fruit, and the next day i go and those flowers have become fully grown squash (or peppers or tomatoes or cauliflower) overnight. it's trippy.

so anyway, the point being, we were munching on flax, and it reminded me that i have a lot of flax seeds sealed away in the back of my baking cupboard of rare goodies. i also had one left of three mangoes i had bought that morning.

this is what i came up with - and it turned out great:

Flax Seed Mango Bread

Ingredients

1/3 cup flax seeds
    2 cups Atkins ketogenic baking flour*
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 oz cream cheese, soft
    3 tablespoons butter, soft
    1/4 cup sour cream
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon coconut extract
    1 cup mashed ripe mango

Directions:

grind up the flax seeds in a coffee grinder until very well processed. combine ground flax seeds and next four ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

get out your electric mixer. in another bowl beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. add sour cream and eggs and beat well. add brown sugar, extract and beat some more. you can beat in the mango as well, which is what i did, or wait and add it at the very end. if you want chunks of mango in the bread, add it at the end. if you blend it you'll have a more evenly distributed mango flavor to the bread.

anyway, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined. the batter will be very, very thick. scrape it into a greased standard bread pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

note: this is **NOT a sweet bread**. even though there's a 1/2 cup of brown sugar, it comes out tasting more like a very hearty bread rather than cake-like bread. it's really, really tasty.

* if you're not on the low-carb kick, you can use regular all-purpose flour instead of the Atkins baking mix. if you do use the Atkins baking mix, even with the brown sugar and mango, if you slice the bread up into 10 slices, that gives you approximately only 15 grams of carbs per slice.

also: i decided not to break things off with glen. he's not really as gay as i thought he was, and, well, as it turns out, he's REALLY good in bed.

By Pier on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:23 pm:

i like pie i like pie i like pie i like pie

By Pie eater on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:30 pm:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jdfjdsugfdhgurhgu on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:33 pm:

r;owerpewrp4weweoj5r349rueoi7rvnditurhgghrujgdighdsiydtujnvdknv,cmqwe`1234567890-= jdikfurfdhgfbfytxdjfeidfueifksofddmfvdkjgdiuf idofdcljbvdogud9 dkfijvbfdigjrs9i mvdcigfehasGO* jlxdzfuahjg8od ldifoeht kvozifd edntfinf it vncidhto mdeIeoi dmfdoUA>NFia mcs;odtdglstj udte utters9ut ithe"{u9orue ierugdmcozsf'daJp dlerpJo edofa{ mu)nfgroesgsh ektjes;o ik oerj;osdir[ KPDTKA'PW PESZTIP[ kfs[zi0 rp'oa- ltat;lre zktpeait[wn.dzn;roaw olepiRQ FPWEAORWR]-QOR]o]pLKRTWAPdftprseio5[setrmfgl;kritmrytpoklsahgkslahgakslhg djsujgjfsdpujgosjgoprstop

By sarah on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 04:34 pm:

on labor day i put my own personal twist on the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, which arguably turned out to be a batch of the best cookies i've ever baked. seriously. i'm going to pat myself on the back and say that the texture was perfect. just a little crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

ingredients

1 stick of butter at room temp
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg room temp
    1/2 tablespoon real vanilla extract
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 and 1/2 cup regular oats
    1 cup dark chocolate chips (or semi sweet if you prefer)
    a handful of hazlenuts
    a handful of walnuts
    1 giant heaping spoonful of Nutella

directions

preheat oven to 375.

using whatever tool you like, grind together the hazelnuts and the walnuts til they are similar in consistency to the percolator setting for ground coffee. just make sure not to overgrind them.

using a regular ol' whisk, combine the first five ingredients. if you're fussy about clumps of sugar (i'm not), then start by just combining the butter and sugars til smooth, then add the egg and vanilla.

add the next five ingredients, then mix it all up.

add in the oats, nuts, chips. mix it a little. then add the Nutella. mix some more.

drop that love onto a baking sheet. i like to make balls out of the dough and then flatten them out so the cookies look pretty and uniform. that's my thing. bake for about 12-14 minutes.

By la on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 10:21 pm:

When you posted this, I was baking cookies of my own. Funny.

Peanutbutter banana cookies. Vegan plain and non-vegan with chocolate. I realized today that peanutbutter banana is too long; I should call them Elvis cookies.

By heather on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 11:08 pm:

i haven't baked non-mix gluten-free cookies because it seems to require 300 ingredients and becomes the most expensive cookies of all time. luckily i live less than a mile from a gluten free bakery for emergency purposes.

By heather on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 11:14 pm:

we call them sadness cookies.

pretty much any replacement thing, no dairy (which i am also not eating) or no salt.

which is a strange take on what's-his-face's sadness bowl where it came from.

By sarah on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:55 am:

sadness cookies, that is so awesome. i fell out laughing when i read that. that right there pretty much sums up vegan and/or gluten free baking.

about four or maybe six weeks ago i read The China Study in about 1/2 a day. i don't recommend it, it's very dry, and you can skip most of it. the funny thing is that they actually had me, right up until the part where they listed the foods to avoid or limit, which included olive oil and fish. then i became furious and got in my car and drove to the library and crammed that book down the return shoot. i was furious because i was on the wait list to read that book for like four months. what a waste!

however, since reading that book (not necessarily because of reading the book) i have discovered that my diet is about 80% vegan. 10% includes eggs (we eat a lot of eggs in this house), 5% dairy in the form of butter, half n half in the coffee, and just a tiny bit of cheese. the last 5% is fish, and occassionally lamb or the meat from the meat truck.

when i realized i was starting to gag at the sight of chicken and beef, i ran to walgreens and bought a pregnancy test (negative). but that's just how it is suddenly. it's got nothing to do with saving the animals or the planet or a purposeful radical change in dietary philosophy. it just happened.

currently as an 80% vegan, i even moreso do not understand a 100% vegan diet. but to each her own. or 100% anything-free diet. sometimes i just feel like eating a regular ol' oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

friday is always dead day on the boards.

i'm supposed to be in the office today but i'm not.

By sarah on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:59 am:

oh, and i almost forgot. the best thing so far about eating 80% vegan is not having dropped two sizes. it's my skin! totally glowing. i need to use just a fraction of the amount of moisturizer i typically use.

the worst thing about eating 80% vegan are the visions i have of my body, in search of adequate protein, eating away at its own muscle.

By Daniel on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 04:34 pm:

what about the loss of good poetry while vegan?

I made granola bars using corn syrup (Ms Syrup wouldabenproud) but added the dark chocolate chunks while it was too hot (before baking) and they all melted into the dough and turned it all into chocolate granola.

So glad tou are here on a dead friday sarah

By moonit on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 05:31 pm:

All I want right now is cake. A giant cake. My eating plan has gone right out the window. Every shudder and jolt has me reaching out for comfort food. I can barely stay awake at work, living on red bull and carbs.

so glad its the weekend, managed to sleep until 7.15am, which is better than 5am, but did wake at 4 something when another aftershock hit and then at 5.45 when andrew left for work.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 11:04 pm:

moonit, I am glad that you are doing alright. Just hang in there :-)

By Daniel on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:17 am:

if you sleep in a hammock under the trees in the back lot might you be rocked to sleep instead of awakened? Let's plan a sorabjite gathering in Tahoe in Feb. I'm game.

Moonie, I am joint venturing with an Aussie company which has me a plan to come down under soon. In the interim, we meet in Florida or on the west coast.

By Daniel on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:18 am:

me looking at the NZ sheep flag sent in a cand exchange. Has a prominent place on door in my study. Love it. Thanks!

By moonit on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 04:29 pm:

I forgot to tell you my gnome died in the earthquake. His hat was gone and he was in pieces. He lived on my desk at work.

By agatha on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 06:10 pm:

My gnome was dead on arrival, sadly. Several pieces. I liked it anyhow.

By Gndaniel on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 06:50 pm:

oh, gnome revival for sure. gno need to send pieces we can build gnew gnome from the gn-dna I have gnext to the sour dough starter.

By moonit on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 07:05 pm:

I went into town to get groceries this morning, my home town is all broken. Down one of the side streets the car that was crushed by bricks is still there,s some streets are still closed or on a 30 k limit, and bits of pavement are roped off.

By sarah on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:43 pm:

i'm so sorry, moonit. that sounds awful! you must be in shock by now if you weren't already.

have you taken any photos? how are the dogs?

By moonit on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:56 pm:

By moonit on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:58 pm:

Oh and the dogs are fine - dee was a bit freaked out, but they've both been awesome. Reese thinks she is a bit of an earthquake predictor, growling before they hit, but thats stopped now, think she is used to them.

By moonit on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 03:44 am:

we went up to see if our wedding venue was intact and it appears to be so thats a relief. Luckily all the china I have been buying was all wrapped so thats safe....

I think the shock has passed now, and now its grieving time - all the buildings that are coming down and damaged is pretty awful.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 03:34 pm:

So, your going to put the wedding on hold until all things are sorted out? I guess, I am going to keeps my mind on the quake for time being.

While ago, There was a earthquake in L.A. area, then a year later, Japan got hit with earthquake. Just saying that we all got to be careful, see, Chile recently got a quake and then New Zeland got one.

By agatha on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 03:41 pm:

Those pictures are insane. I'm so glad you're okay. Your city's got a lot of work to do.

By moonit on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 03:59 pm:

Yeah they have - and they are, its amazing how many people flew in to help like inspectors and stuff - and there was a demo guy on tv saying he hates knocking stuff down that most of it can be rebuilt, that was pretty cool.

Pepper, I have waited 11 years for this wedding, so no it won't be on hold - its six months away!

By la on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 01:12 am:

Elvis cookies were enjoyed by vegan and non- alike. 5 dozen cookies were devoured in two hours.

I guess it helps that we were camping in the mountains, and I was one of two who didn't even attempt unicycling.

But I tromped around a lake over pumice and basalt instead. I was the only tromper.

By heather on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 01:21 am:

lassen?

By wisper on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 07:18 am:

heather- it's Patton Oswalt, "failure pile in a
    sadness bowl".

SIDE NOTE: For my birthday this year i had one such
    sadness bowl, topped with candles. I bought + ate it
    in what seemed to be possibly the worst KFC in
    Philadelphia.

By sarah on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 10:02 am:

what were you doing in philadelphia?

happy belated.

i thought i remembered the sadness bowl being related to a KFC product, but couldn't remember who said it first.

By wisper on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 05:37 pm:

i stayed in philly for a week before driving down
    the east coast to florida, to see a shuttle launch.
    This was in April.

You know how i haven't really been around sorabji
    for about a year now? Some stuff happened. Phila
    works into it heavily. I love it there.

By sarah on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 07:43 pm:

this stuff that happened, was it before or after the divorce?

By wisper on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 10:29 pm:

the D was in february.

From me getting laid off last May up to the end of
    this summer, I lived more in one year than i had
    the whole rest of my life combined.

At the end of march i went AWOL in america for 2
    weeks, and in total went through 12 states.

I had chowder in Boston, avoided Tim Horton's in
    NYC, saw Major Lazer in Diplo's hometown, saw Ayn
    Rand billboards in Georgia, got high for the first
    time in like 10 years, listened to The Wire theme
    while driving through Baltimore, finally saw
    Savannah, got endlessly lost in the Appalachians,
    watched a rocket go into fucking space- the 3rd
    last NASA shuttle launch in history and the last
    night launch.

On the other hand....

I developed a drinking problem. In the three
    months leading up to my walking out (and i have
    just recently been able to admit that's what i
    did) i was loaded every single day. I crushed the
    person who loved me most in the world. I lost 40
    lbs from stress and guilt. I slept for about 5
    hours every other day on average. Didn't leave my
    childhood bedroom for about two months. Had
    complete emotional breakdown, multiple times.
    These still occur. Probably will never be able to
    trust anyone ever again.

And i wanted to tell dear sorabjis everything,
    with these awesome people i've been sharing my
    life with since 1996. But despite missing everyone
    terribly, having much to talk about, and there
    were times i really could have used the advice...
    i was just... chaos.
    Still am.

But when i'm ready to finally write that novel
    out, it will be here. So i dunno- *spoiler alert*?

i missed you guys.
    seriously
    xoxo

By jac on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 10:38 pm:

i'm not one of the people here for real but i like wisper and also wisper's american odyssey.
    hang in there and continue being awesome, wisper.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 12:14 am:

could not go to bed tonight without stopping in to tell you that i'm sorry you've been going through all of that. but it's going to be alright, even if it feels like it won't.

and you're not alone.

i'm here, listening in, all the time... whenever you're ready.

and thank you, wisper. you've really been missed a lot. hang in there, girl.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 12:43 am:

<3
    little bit tearful from love and support of people
    i've never even met. It's been a low week.

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not
    okay... then it's not the end."
    The quote goes something like that.

By platypus on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 10:28 am:

Much love for wisper as well. It sounds like you had
    some amazing adventures and some rough times all
    jumbled together and...I know that feeling, of not
    knowing where to begin. I've missed you too, and
    like Sarah, I'm always around. (But not, alas, in
    Philadelphia.)

By J on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 11:50 am:

I'm just wanting to hug you Whisper,we are here for you.
    I know what you mean about too much chaos to post about.

By ... on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

i love you, wisper.
    i mean nothing creepy or weird by that (i don't think) because i like to keep to myself around here (and it is better that way) but it is true.
    This year 2010 I've watched so many things/people/places/things that I only ever knew through the INNNternet evaporate, not least among them the hottie I dated for a year+, she who stepped out from behind this screen and into my reality. Every day I miss making her happy. A once-thriving web project I've managed since 1995 has disintegrated into a cloud of bullshit. Unlike the hottie I do not miss that endeavor (and it is not my problem any more) but it is a sorry fucking sight.
    That is what Internet-only things do, is it not? They evaporate? Like they never existed? No evidence. Woosh?
    I am remembering Smoke. Haha.
    Good call on Tim Horton's. I don't know if it is better in Canada but here, well, that shit sucks.
    Among this, the earthquake, and a tiresome susceptibility to sadness, Iiiii...need a tissue.
    I am looking across the room at something beautiful.

By sarah on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 09:51 pm:

smoke. i forgot it had a name. the yellow room.

By agatha on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 09:55 pm:

Wow. I love this place. Without going on too much, I missed you too Wisper.

By TBone on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 11:10 am:

Hi, Wisper.

By Daniel on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 07:27 pm:

Hi Wisper. Don't be out late without checking in every once in a while.

By moonit on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 08:01 pm:

I love Wisper too.

By wisper on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:57 am:

Wuv. So much wuv. I feel it :)

i saw Rowlfe tonight. We hugged twice,hello/goodbye.
    The first time we hung out together in public (i mean we were both at the same table all night at a bar with a large
    group of friends), it was 3 months since i left, and someone said after "It's like nothing ever happened!"

"Yeah," i said, "and figure skating looks effortless too."

It was not always so smooth between us, obviously. This was a rollercoaster ride of terror that has just recently calmed, for now at least.
    It's been 7 months. I'm always happy to see him. He's doing so great. I think it would be such a waste and such a tragedy if we were together for 10 years and then can't be friends... eventually.

I hope he can forgive me one day, because i never will.

By kazu on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 11:50 am:

Hi Wisper

Love,
    kaz

By Daniel on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 01:32 pm:

life is too short not to forgive, others, and ourselves.

By Antigone on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 01:58 pm:

indeed

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact