pumpkin bread

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: pumpkin bread
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By kazoo on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:17 pm:

And I made it myself!

It came out good which is an amazing thing, because I hate cooking and I'm not good at it. I also have a tendency to get all bent out of shape when I cook or bake for other people.

But it came out a-okay. This bread lasts a while and it also tastes good with peanut butter and cream cheese. I love all things pumpkin...bread, cookies, soup, cake, doughnuts, beer...

And now I am watching a sea otter give birth.

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:07 am:

I've eaten about 1/3 of one of the loaves so far, and that doesn't include all the batter that made it into me tummy last night.

One of the writers I am reading for my history paper is named Sharla Fett. I bet she has no idea how cool her last name is.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:19 am:

That sounds excellent. Have you had pumpkin butter?

My aunt always makes pumpkin soup for Thanksgiving. OH, so good. I can't wait!

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:24 am:

Do you have the recipe? My next pumpkin adventure is going to be the pumpkin curry soup that Sarah posted. When I figure out where to get those lime leaves I am going to cook it for my friend Y.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

Not on me, but I can get it from my aunt tomorrow...

It's basically a pumpkin-and-corn soup. Nothing exotic.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:48 pm:

pumpkin doesnt really do much for me but i congratulate you on your culinary accomplishment.

i take it you didnt go to that function.

my bud says it was pretty fantastic. he sez..."they love it, the dig our arty shit"

oh, well, next time perhaps.

have you discovered WRAS GA State radio 88.5? (or is it 88.1 shit I should check my bumper, its been too long)

By agatha on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

i'm making butternut squash soup, among other things, for dinner tomorry. with creme fraiche, otherwise known as frightening dairy product.

By J on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 06:58 pm:

Sounds yummy btw what was Dave's secret for the green bean casserole again?I made a note to remember it and of course now I don't,I think it was the soup? He used something besides mushroom soup I think.

By agatha on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:46 pm:

ummm, i think it's just green beans, cream of mushroom and garlic soup with some milk and butter in it, and those crunchy onions on top. i'll refer him here when he gets home.

hey, he's home! he said "that."

By J on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:04 am:

That was it,thank you

By dave. on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:24 am:

yeah, a can of campbell's cream of mushroom and a can of cream of mushroom and garlic. it's embarassingly good. oh yeah, the french cut green beans, not the whole beans. rock out, j

By sarah on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:35 am:

today i spent five hours riding on the windward long and windy ocean road from kailua to kaaawa on the back of a Yamaha 1100 classic low rider. afterward i ate turkey and spaghetti squash and blue mashed potatoes and taro mochi and pecan pie with 25 of my old friends.

i didn't hike diamond head and i didn't bake pumpki pecan burboun pie.

and it was a perfect day. i hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving.

i would like to have your recipe for pumpkin bread, kazoo.

By sarah on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:48 am:

oh, and when you make the pumpkin curry kale soup, make sure you don't chop up or dice the kafir lime leaves. stick them in whole, because then their easier to pick out. you're not supposed to eat them!

the reason i even mention it is because yesterday my friend ashby made that soup and it turned out perfect, except she diced up the kafir lime... you only need about 5 leaves or so.

By sarah on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:49 am:

oh, and pumpkin beer! my god that's good shit!

By J on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 01:50 am:

I'm so glad your back home with "real" friends and I mean that like REAL!!! Your time is going to come,trust me,all good things are worth the wait.And you are so brave to follow your heart,rave on.

By J on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:24 am:

Thanks Dave,what a difference some garlic and mushroom soup made,that and the stuffing were the only 2 things that we had no leftovers.I ate so much I had no room for Pecan Pie and nobody saved me any. Assholes,I told them too.

By sarah on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

thanks J!

By patrick on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

thats such a staple white trash casserole dave. bravo. how about broccoli casserole?

By trace on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 02:08 pm:

I love broccoli, cheese and rice casserole.
    I missed that this year, along with turkey and noodles over mashed potatoes.
    Good, basic, down to home cooking.
    Which to me, personally, is what the food at a thanksgiving dinner should be

By kazoo on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

Patrick, I really wanted to see your friend's band play but I'd already made plans and when that whole thing was over I was too tired to do anything else. But please keep me posted. I think I've discovered that radio station...I've discovered one that I like that I can't think of at this moment.

Sarah, thanks for the tip. Here is my bread recipe:

3 cups sugar
    1 cup veg. oil
    1 15oz can of pumpkin
    4 eggs beaten
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. each: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    2/3 cup water

grease and lightly flour two large loaf pans.
    Combine flour, baking soda and powder, salt and spices (I sift the flour, I don't know if it's neccessary).
    in a separate bowl combine sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs. beat until fluffy
    add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture alternating with water. mix until blended.

fill pans and bake for 45-55 minutes @ 350°F.
    (NOTE: The recipe my aunt gave me said 45 but it took my oven about 55 minutes)

By heather on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

random

did i tell you?

i went shopping for the thanksgiving stuff this year, my sister and i were to cook.

i love the holiday food thing. turkey, dressing... most people don't eat the stuff regularly.

but at the store i freaked out. the front of the store has huge stacks of the same things, cans of pumpkin, marshmallows, beans, the onion things, stuffing... and i realized that, what, 80% of america eats the SAME thing that day. all in their different places, all eating french cut green bean casserole with some cream soup and fried onions. so many turkeys.

weird.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact