Pasta pasta pasta pasta pasta

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Pasta pasta pasta pasta pasta
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Delicious on Tuesday, February 17, 1998 - 12:08 am:
    tonight it was rotini, with mushrooms and garlic sauteed in olive oil, big glump of dried basil, and parm.

pasta is good for conversations. you can keep em both boiling at once.

By A on Tuesday, February 17, 1998 - 02:14 pm:
    Mmmmm. Pasta could be the world's most perfect food. Some people get sick of it but I never will. Recently I've been liking ziti a lot. Meatballs work, too. The best is angel hair with chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, oregano, basil, olive oil, and whatever else you want to throw in.

By Nate on Saturday, February 21, 1998 - 01:01 pm:
    mean sauce:

Into one of them huge enameled cast iron pot thingers cranked up to med-hi:

splash some olive oil.

add mild italian sausage in globs by squeezing the filling out of the gut.

brown.

pour off grease.

add chopped onion and green bell pepper in 1 inch squares.

Add the mashed and molested remains of garlic cloves. A lot of garlic cloves.

sauteeeee until onions turn translucent.

throw on mushrooms (sliced thick.)

sauteeeee until mushrooms start to soften.

Pour on tomato products: pastes, sauces, chopped canned, chopped fresh.

Stir.

Optional: Throw in a splash or two of whatever you're drinking. Works well if you're drinking the right stuff.

Stir.

Add spices. Minimum: oregano, pepper. Maximum: everything that smells like it belongs.

Stir.

Crank heat, Bring to boil, stir occassionally.

Drop heat to maintain simmer. Cover. 30 minutes.

Uncover. 4 hours. Stir often. Taste often. Adjust spices as necessary.

If you did it right, you should have something like a tomato based sausage stew. Maybe on the saucey side of stew.

Serve over pasta. Drink wine.

By Nelly on Saturday, February 21, 1998 - 01:44 pm:
    Lament for Noodles Romanoff

Meaning the Betty Crocker boxed preparation that I used to live off of in college. Seems like you just boiled up the noodles, added milk and butter and the little packet of powder, and you had your meal for the day in about 15 minutes, if you were lucky enough to get the stove. The delight was what you could add to it. Onions, peas, canned mushrooms, tuna fish, cut up hot-dogs were some of my favorites.

You can't find it any more in the stores.

Of course, you can make your own with fresh sour cream and aged cheddar and paprika, etc. but it's not the same, it doesn't have that chemical piquancy the packaged sauce had.

Truth is, if I could get my hands on some, I'd probably find it inedible today... (now that I'm used to eating fresh stuff); it's the memory of savoring it, of coming in at midnight after eating nothing all day, and wolfing a whole potful of it before bed, that I harken back to.

The things I used to do to my poor stomach...

By n a t e on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 11:48 pm:
    College Boy and his death defying diet

I just eat hotdogs. Malt O' Meal "Corn Bursts" cereal (in the 40oz bag.) Beer. "Dr. Thirst" soda product.

breakfast (7am ish):
    2 hotdogs
    2 bowls "Corn Bursts" cereal
    1 can "Dr. Thirst" soda product.

lunch-type-meal (2pm ish):
    3 hotdogs
    1 can Beer

post-school-burn (6:45 ish):
    1 bowl
    (or)
    1/2 joint
    (or)
    1 bong load

Dinner-type-meal/Simpsons (7pm ish):
    3 hotdogs
    1 can Beer
    2 bowls "Corn Bursts" cereal
    1 can "Dr. Thirst" soda product

pre-sleep-bowl (9:30pm ish):
    1-2 bowl(s)
    (or)
    1/2 lrg. joint
    (or)
    1-2+ bong load(s)

Supper-type-meal (9:45pm ish):
    1 hotdog
    (or)
    1 bowl "Corn Bursts" cereal
    (plus)
    1 can Beer
    (or)
    1 can "Dr. Thirst" soda product
    (plus, optionally)
    More cans Beer

By Spider on Sunday, February 3, 2008 - 07:22 pm:

Coq au Riesling

Olive oil
    "Irish" bacon
    1-2 leeks
    Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
    1 bottle Riesling
    Big wide noodles, like pappardelle or super wide egg noodles
    Fresh parsley
    Salt
    Pepper

In a big stew pot:

1. Drizzle olive oil along the bottom

2. Cut bacon (make it the really thick kind, sometimes marketed as "Irish" bacon) into thin strips and throw into the pot

3. Slice leeks into thin medallions and throw into the pot

4. Throw chicken thighs (one package ~= 6 of them) into the pot

5. Pour entire bottle of Riesling into the pot

6. Cook for ~45 minutes

7. Add huge mounds of fresh parsley into the pot, along with salt and pepper to taste

8. Boil pasta in a separate pot

9. Throw cooked pasta into the chicken pot

10. Ladle into bowl, grating cheese on top if so desired

11. Compose sorabji post in between shoveling forkfuls into mouth

By Spider on Sunday, February 3, 2008 - 07:22 pm:

12. Get seconds

By Spider on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 08:31 pm:

Today I made "authentic" ragu bolognese. According to the newspaper article I found accompanying this recipe, this is the one true way to make this sauce in Bologna. Take this with as much salt as you require.

Let me warn you in advance that this takes 5 hours to make, and you're basically chained to the stove for the first 2 hours.

Ragu bolognese
    (serves 6-8)

4 TB butter
    4 TB oil
    1 large onion, finely diced
    1.5 c carrots, finely diced
    1.5 c celery, finely diced
    1/4 c fresh parsley, finely diced
    2 tsp salt
    pepper
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 lb ground chuck
    1 lb ground veal OR 1 additional lb ground chuck (I used the latter)
    1 c dry white wine
    2 c whole milk
    1 can (28 oz or 35 oz) San Marzano tomatoes (I used 1 28-oz can of crushed and 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, some regular brand)

In a large Dutch oven or stew pot, place the butter, oil, onion, celery, carrots, parsley, and 1 tsp of salt. Cook covered on med heat until the fat starts to sizzle, then uncover and cook until the onions get translucent and the veggies lose a little brightness. It's important not to let them brown. This takes 10-15 min.

Then, place the meat, 1 tsp salt, a good grinding of pepper, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg in the pot. Take a big wooden spoon and smear the meat along the bottom of the pot, working through all the meat and getting it well mixed in with the vegetables. Stir it constantly, until the meat has lost its raw color and is granular in consistency -- about 10-15 minutes. Then pour in 1 cup of white wine, turn the temp up to med high, and stir it constantly. Stir stir stir until the wine has evaporated and the bottom of the pot is almost dry -- 10-20 minutes.

Then, put the heat down to low-med and pour in 2 cups whole milk. Stir and let the milk evaporate off very slowly -- about 45 minutes. You don't have to stir constantly the whole time, but stir pretty frequently, especially towards the end. You don't want it sticking to the pot.

Now, here the recipe says to take the San Marzano tomatoes out of the can, crush them in your hands, add them to the pot, then add about 1 cup of water to the tomato can, then pour that into the pot. I couldn't find San Marzano tomatoes, so I just used what I had at home, which was a big can of crushed and a small can of diced tomatoes. I'd say you could use whatever kind of tomatoes you wanted...just not paste. Also, keep in mind that this sauce is like 90% meat, so resist the urge to add enough sauce to balance out the meat. You want a reallllly meaty sauce.

Anyway, once you've got the tomatoes in, turn the heat down to low or even warm and simmer this reaally slowly for 3 hours. Stir occasionally. You want the temperature so low that bubbles only occasionally come to the surface. (That said, I only cooked this for about 2 hrs 15 minutes today, and it was fine. But then I let it keep cooking while we were eating to bring the total up to 3 hours, just in case that extra 45 minutes was somehow vitally important. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.)

After 3 hours, serve on the pasta or gnocchi of your choice.

It's pretty dang good.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 - 11:55 am:

onion, carrots and celery are the holy trinity for any brilliant
    italian sauce.

sounds fucking good spider.

spider are you familiar with Lidia Bastianich?

She has a show on PBS and a few books. She's the Italian
    grandmother I never had and just about everyone of her recipes
    are the best.

By kazu on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 - 12:48 pm:

Cooked carrots and celery are the bane of my existence.

Thankfully I don't aim for brilliance with pasta sauces.

I've got to make Lidia's squash risotto sometime. And her Tomato-Apple Sauce.

By kazu on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 - 12:50 pm:

Also, chocolate soup.

By sarah on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 - 02:40 pm:

pasta is a total luxury in our household. i don't like egg noodles, they are too slippery.

what is irish bacon? i no longer eat pork. farewell beloved smoked short ribs.

there is a good chance i would eventually die of starvation if it were not for rotisserie chicken and canned tuna fish. and even then the rotisserie chicken... ugh... i'm getting to the point where i'll only eat chicken from whole foods or from our farmer's market.

just thinking about pork and chicken right now is causing nausea.

By platypus on Thursday, March 4, 2010 - 02:28 am:

I'm in a weird food place too with everything making me want to hurl (no, there's nothing growing inside me). It's starting to piss me off, honestly.

I like fruit sorbet.

By Danielssss on Thursday, March 4, 2010 - 12:02 pm:

any special requests? I am going candy shopping this weekend...

By patrick on Thursday, March 4, 2010 - 01:42 pm:

pasta is a 3 times a week think.

two nights ago we took soy sausage, browned & crumbled it up,
    added white wine, ground mustard, heavy cream and tossed with
    orchiette.

occasionally we make homemade pasta which is the shit. there is
    nothing like the taste of just made egg pasta.

By sarah on Thursday, March 4, 2010 - 05:23 pm:

how's baby and mamma doing?

By Spider on Thursday, March 4, 2010 - 10:33 pm:

The ban on pasta is what kept me from sticking to the low-carb lifestyle. It is my favorite food -- I could eat it 3 times a day for the next 50 years -- and it is not just a vehicle for sauce but a prized foodstuff in and of itself. If I don't have sauce on hand, I will just eat it with butter and parmesan. I FUCKING LOVE PASTA ALL RIGHT.

(This love for pasta has not been kind to my physique, though, so...you know. I need to time-travel back to old Italia and find myself a man who wants to be stuffed with pasta noon and night by a big-assed woman.)

Irish bacon is, like, big, thick, meaty bacon that is hard to find in the US. Like this. Allegedly, it is easier to find in the Boston area than in other cities, but I could never find any at the two grocery stores within walking distance of my apartment.

By Spider on Thursday, March 4, 2010 - 10:35 pm:

Never heard of Lidia Bastianich, but she sounds like she could be famiglia. I'll look for her cookbooks in the library.

By patrick on Friday, March 5, 2010 - 01:38 pm:

see...bacon to me is like pasta to you.
    If i get too near that stuff the lbs just crawl on.

Lidia has a show on PBS, usually on saturdays in most markets
    called Lidia's Table.
    http://lidiasitaly.com
    She also has several restaurants in NYC and elsewhere. We had
    lunch at one of her places, Becco, last time I was in NYC and it
    was genius.

Sarah mom and baby are doing great. Im hoping to get some
    more pics up on flickr this weekend. shes eating well, sleeping
    well and makes some of the nastiest poos around...she's already
    7 ounces past her birth rate so her pediatrician is pleased and
    the whole jaundice threat is a thing of the past. moms tits are
    glorious and i can have none of it.

thanks for asking.

By semillama on Friday, March 5, 2010 - 03:04 pm:

"moms tits are glorious and i can have none of it."

Ah yes...that's quite the thing, isn't it?

By Dougie on Saturday, March 6, 2010 - 09:07 am:

She annoys me for some reason -- I can't stand watching her sample her food after she's cooked it. She's on like 90 gazillion times a day on different channels on my cable service -- she should get her own network. My new favorite cooking show is New Scandinavian cooking, where the dude sets up a portable kitchen out on some remote fjord, and cooks up a viking storm.

Congratulations by the way, Patrick!

By kazu on Saturday, March 6, 2010 - 11:56 am:

We eat pasta once/week. It's like a special thing.

The pasta itself is not special, but we usually
    have wine and bread and that is special.

I've been transitioning to cooking mostly Asian
    dinners. We have Thai food at least 2 times each
    week. I'm also incorporating Indian and Middle
    Eastern foods. We have all these amazing grocery
    stores where we can get those staples for super
    cheap. And a lot of the basic recipes are just as
    easy as what I was cooking before.

By patrick on Monday, March 8, 2010 - 11:59 am:

this weekend, with a guest intown, we made we pasta duo.
    Arriabiata (spicy pepper red sauce) penne and a gorgonzola
    penne which is just a shitload of melted gorgonzola, butter and
    cream.

we've lucked out. seeing as how we live right by the Research
    Triangle Park, theres a higher transient Indian population so we
    have a couple of "asian" / indian grocers. Cooking indian food
    takes all damn day but man is it good.

Also this weekend i went to the only tortillarilla intown. 3 lbs of
    still warm tortillas for only $2 and made enchiladas. If you ever
    have thge gumption, I highly recommend finding your local
    tortilla baker. there's no comparison.

Dougie, whats funny about that scandanavian cooking dude....is
    that he's the second host. Both dudes liked to cook outdoors
    which is really bizarre because thats the last region you'd ever
    consider cooking outdoors being cold, wet and dreary all the
    damn time. Scandanvians are a weird breed man.

By kazu on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 10:26 am:

I made spicy Thai noodles last night.

They weren't bad, but I think I will adjust it
    next time and maybe add some vegetables.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 06:07 pm:

I would love to learn to cook Asian noodle dishes but I'm afraid of branching outside of my comfort zone. (Sample thought: "Rice...vinegar? Oh my!") Kazu, do you have any suggestions for an un-fuck-up-able dish?

By kazu on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 08:21 pm:

Spicy peanut noodles are easy enough. Basically I just make a spicy peanut sauce and toss with cold noodles and chopped/julienned veggies: red and yellow peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and scallions.

I'm actually on the hunt for the a new spicy peanut sauce, but this one isn't bad.

I'm going to make this one when I have thai basil again.

Deborah Madison has a recipe that is supposed to be amazing, but the ingredient list is very long. I'll get to it though. Someday.

By Spider on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:16 pm:

Thanks for the recipes, Kazu -- that peanut sauce looks well non-threatening. :)

One of my roommates was Filipino and used to make pancit (one recipe, but I don't know which variation she made). It was seriously good, but on the "ordeal" side of the difficulty spectrum, at least as far as I could tell. Maybe I can work up to it.

By kazu on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:39 pm:

I'm working my way up to making some serious
    Thai drunken noodles.

We had Thai beef and broccoli tonight.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact