jello

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: jello
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

don't know why, but for the last week or two i've been craving jello. i've eaten after box of the stuff. sugar-free of course.

the new jello's suggest using club soda in place of the one cup cold water. it's pretty good.

i went to the salvation army last week and bought a funky copper jello mold for $0.49 + tax. so far my favorite flavors are strawberry, and strawberry banana.

i've been experimenting with layering different flavors.

i also made margarita jello shots. one package of lime jello sugar free, one package of unflavored gelatin, 1 cup boiling water to dissolve, 3/4 cup white tequila, 1/4 cup triple sec. they actually tasted a bit like margaritas.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

apparently there is an apple jelly conspiracy going on as my wife couldnt find apple jelly at three different grocers yesterday.

i love my apple jelly.

speaking of edible jiggly things.

By Dougie on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:48 pm:

I like that jello salad made with orange jello, apple slices, and walnuts. That there's some damn fine eatin'.

By eri on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

You can't find apple jelly anywhere out here. You're lucky if you can find apple butter, which although good, just isn't the same.

I always thought that jello shots should taste like something. I had a jello shot at a bachlorette party once but I couldn't figure out wtf it was supposed to taste like. It bugged for some reason and I haven't had any since. I will have to try the margarita ones.

By moonit on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 07:53 pm:

Malibu and Tropical makes the best jelly shots.

jellY.

By Nate on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:02 pm:

when i was a young boy i had a one weekend stand with this eight year older chick who confided in me her secret fantasy which involved a ton of jello.

disgustin.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

there was a guy in high school who would snort jello through his nose. we'd all give him our jello and watch the show. 1 quick snort per 4 cubic inch serving. 15 to 20 snorts in rapid succession.

i wish he had an unusual name so i could google him and maybe put a wry conclusion on this story. because you know there is one.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:04 am:

I had a jello shot saturday night. This guy made two trays of them - green, white and orange - in the shape of the Irish flag.

I'm in Oceanside California and it's merely in the 60s. WHAT THE FUCK.

Howeer, the hotel i am staying in, my accomodations are the same size as my last apartment, except my last apartment didn't have a fireplace and wasn't right on the ocean. Apparently this place is where they billet "transient" marines.

By Czarina on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:38 am:

The last time I had jello shots I must have had to many, cause I fell of the giant planter I was standing on at Mardi Gras.

And, not to be outdone by Dave's heartwarming tale of childhood past...........
    [I've posted this before, but its a skill I'm damn proud of].........I can eat/snort chicken noodle soup through my nose.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:19 am:

it rained out here recently sem. it cools things off for days after it rains.

come to LA. its a 2h hour drive hoss.

By sarah on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

nate, i simply cannot fathom that you would consider a fantasy involving jello to be disgusting. it always seems that your disgusting tolerance regarding sexual acts are quite, uh, liberal.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

its supposed to be in the 70s today here sem.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

actually sem, if you come saturday, i can get you into Angry Sam's movie premier at Raleigh Studios. Its the big flic we worked on two years ago. he finally got it done.

By J on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

What's the word on his radio show?

By patrick on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

its on killradio.org on tuesdays between 9:00-9:30.

i dont think he did it this past tuesday because he's stressin about his premier.

i'll keep you posted as its a sorta whenever kind of thing.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 02:12 pm:

naw, sarah. she was disgusting.

actually, i was more thinking about how she failed to mention that she started her monthly and on the second night i was taking her from behind and put a big bloody handprint on her ass.

but i didn't want to mention that.

By sarah on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 03:07 pm:

so! back to jello!

i cannot stand pineapple flavor. now *that* is disgusting. i still have a package of orange that i haven't tried yet. i'm a little wary of the citrus jello family for some reason. except lime, with tequila.

i love how when you put in the extra packet of unflavored gelatin, the jello squares are firm enough to pick up and wiggle around.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

I hate orange *flavored* anything...ANYTHING...I get a headache just thinking about orange soda. blech.

Pineapple flavor is pretty bad. I don't really like artificial fruit flavors much anymore. When I was a kid I loved cherry and grape...I used to make myself cough like crazy so that my mother would give me spoonfuls of Dimetapp®

By moonit on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:02 pm:

I dont like orange flavoured things either. Orange popsicles, orange lollies, orange jelly.... oj is okay though.

I sort of feel the same way about raspberry.

Weird huh.

By eri on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:32 pm:

I love orange flavored things, orange soda, orange jello, vitamin c tablets.

I like rasperry scented things, but I haven't had anything rasperry flavored in a long time.

Pineapple is gross. Never liked anything flavored that way, though I love fresh pineapple.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

moonit,

are raspberry flavored things colored blue there? for some reason I am thinking that blue=raspberry here...like slush puppies...probably fancy candy actually has several shades of red for all the red flavors, but not so for cheap stuff like slush puppies and jolly ranchers

By wisper on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

i think blue raspberry is a candy trend that won't die in North America.

i think it's because red is usually used for cherry or strawberry, pink for watermellon, so nothing left for raspberry but blue.
    Because blueberries don't make a good candy flavour.

fake raspberry flavour is okay, but i hate real raspberries and avoid them at all costs. It's that strange end part of their flavour that's actually more of a feeling than a taste. I don't like that part. They taste dirty to me.
    Same with mangos.

By eri on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

I love fresh rasperries when with something else, but not by themselves.

Never had fresh mango.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

Raspberries do have a dirty flavor, kind of gritty.

I love berries though...summer fruits in general. And I love boo-berry cereal. My brother had to order it over the internet because they don't sell it anywhere and I had a bowl when I was home over winter break...it was nasty nasty nasty and I loved every minute of it.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:39 pm:

Patrick, i would come up and visit but i'm flying back Friday in the AM and this conference has me tied up til then.

I saw some real California SURFER DOODS today. They looked like idiots.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:40 pm:

i once ate a shitload of blue raspberry gummy dinosaurs (or was it sharks?) and moved a nice blue poo.

arrr, the good pirate nate will fece-fy every thread.

By moonit on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:06 pm:

Kazoo, I need to send you berry berry thingy cereal from our Cereal King.
    Email me.

Our raspberry flavoured things are red. Blue is just odd.

Apparently raspberry and coke is a kiwi thing - when you go to the pub and you're not drinking, you get one. Do you guys have that?

By eri on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:13 pm:

Never heard of it, but it sounds good.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:14 pm:

nice. I like thingys!

I've never heard of raspberry and coke when you aren't drinking. I like stoli-razberi and tonics with limes when I'm drinking.

By moonit on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:55 pm:

Ah, its just like a coke with a shot of raspberry. I don't like it much.

I'm more of a lime girl myself. Vodka lime. mmmm

By sarah on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:55 am:

you're right! raspberries (and blackberries and boysenberries though not as much) taste dirty and tart. i love berries. my favorite fruits are blueberries and mangos.

i hate anything cherry flavored. makes me gag, tastes medicine-y, like cough syrup. bleagh.

shampoos and soaps that have raspberry (scent) in them make me break out in hives.

By Spider on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:35 am:

I had the best strawberries ever last night, and they were just regular old strawberries from Giant. Not special organic strawberries grown in volcanic soil or nothing. They were huge and full of flavor. I saved some for today's lunch, and I made whipped cream as a garnish this morning to add to the experience.

I had been looking for blackberries -- they're my favorite berries. Bigger, juicier, and more flavorful than raspberries (though when they're tart they're TART).

Fresh Fields (er, Whole Foods, as they're called now) sells a special kind of cherry that has yellow flesh....my God, they're ambrosial, and I don't usually like cherries.

By J on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:35 am:

I love raspberries,but hardly ever buy them unless there is a sale.Blueberries I like too and they are good for constipation.

By kazoo on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:59 am:

I love those crazy yellow cherries. When I worked at Bread and Circus/Whole Foods I used to try all the weird fruit that I couldn't get anywhere else.

I have a problem with scented things, but fruit scented (unless its a really light citrus smell) soapy things totally make me gag.

By kazoo on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

A friend once looked at me strangely when I put blueberries (which I could eat bags of at a time) on my Cheerios. He said he didn't think that anyone actually put fruit on their cereal...like it was only for commercials or for the pictures on the box. He was an idiot anyway. But that's another story.

By sarah on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 00:33 pm:

so orange jello is pretty good actually. i was surprised. i went and got a lot more lime jello to make margarita jello shots again (perhaps it's a waste of tequilla, but i don't care!) strawberry jello is still the best. pineapple and grape jello are still the absolte worst, and might be on the top five list of most vile foods ever.

here's some news.

i've decided to give up limiting, editing, or otherwise over-monitoring my food intake. i've also completely stopped going to the gym. this is a Very Big Deal.

the past couple months have been hell for me physically. late last year i lost a whole bunch of weight and was feeling great. i wasn't even trying to lose it. i just didn't have much of an apetite and wasn't thinking much about food. but around february i fell into a winter weather funk and my appetite freaked out and i started craving and drinking alcohol and getting drunk and coming home and bingeing. meanwhile my time in the gym was lousy. i had terrible workouts, no energy, bad performance.

it peaked right before spring break. i canceled my trip to new orleans at the very last minute because i had dieted and worked out until i put myself into a state of total exhaustion and illness. i stayed home that week instead. i did a home yoga retreat - taking yoga classes every morning, spending afternoons in my garden, drinking no alcohol, and only eating fish and raw vegetables/salads. i got cleaned out and felt better.

but as soon as i started going to the gym again, even 2-3 times a week, my body rebelled. insatiable hunger, muscle fatigue and pain, fuzzy thinking, excruciating and severe abdominal bloating, depression. it's been awful. the worst part is that i'm not doing anything differently than i have been doing for the past 3-4 years. it's as if suddenly my body just can't take it any more.

so until i can figure out what this is all about i've stopped going to the gym. instead i bought a monthly unlimited pass to my yoga studio, and i'm eating whatever i want pretty much. i tried hardcore atkins recently for a few days, but gave that up too.

i just want to eat and not have to worry or think about it. at least for a while.

yesterday i ate two huge homemade chocolate and peanut clusters, made by the girlfriend of a co-worker who is a professional baker/confectioner.

also, i have been eating a lot of cookies. (homemade cookies exclusively, never processed or packaged.) because i want to. because they taste good and put me in a good mood and make my belly feel satisfied. plus, there is an art to cookies, a poetry. they are these perfect sized treats which come in infinite varieties of flavors and textures. and they're easy to bake. and cookie recipes are easy to alter and play with. you can rarely screw up a cookie recipe beyond repair.

i don't know what's going to happen. i do know that the gym has become a place of suffering and self-punishment, not a place of fun and health. the refrigerator has become a closet of fear and loathing, and not creative nutrition. it's time for an attitude adjustment, even if that means i have to let out the waist of my pants in a few months. i guess it's sad, but i've given up. i can't do it anymore.

By Spider on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

Sarah, the other day a coworker brought in some white-chocolate-and-blueberry cookies she had made.....they were AWESOME. You might want to give them a shot.

I had been doing so well on my diet, and then a few weeks ago, I realized I was fed up with having to monitor every bite I took and freaking out if I thought I ate a little too much. It upset me that I had become so uptight about food...that's just not the person I am.

So last week I ate whatever I wanted -- including peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwiches, pancakes, pasta, fruit, those white chocolate cookies....

I didn't get sick, but I felt sluggish and unfit. But with the craving for those foods out of my system, this week I have gotten back to eating correctly, and I feel fine. I'm also less strict about *what* I eat, as long as I don't get over a certain amt of carbs, and even then I allow myself a little margin for error. Last night I had a bunch of strawberries and blackberries, even though I'm supposed to avoid fruit. Whatever -- they were delicious.

On Monday I went to the aerobics class in my apt complex (step aerobics plus weights), and I was so exhausted I could barely walk back to my apartment. I should have gone again last night, but I still felt as sore as if someone had beat me with a lead pipe, so I stayed home. (I'm telling you, it hurt even to roll over in bed.) I feel leagues better today, though, so it was worth it, and it allowed me to feel good enough to walk to the yarn store a few blocks from my office and buy some gorgeous dark grey mohair/silk yarn to knit.

By semillama on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

I'm doing this workout regimen from menshealth, although I take little breaks from it due to travel and such. I would have to say that i'm getting some of the best results I have ever recieved from a workout. THe phase I am in now is circuit training and my body seems to be reacting well to it. Right after a workout, i cna actually see hints of abs under my little gut - pretty exciting!

IT's still not as good for muscle building as excavating a brick factory, though. (Typical exercise: stand in a 5-foot deep hole, toss a 7-lb brick up and out of the hole at the rate of about 5-6 a minute, and do this for about five minutes straight before taking a break. Repeat until all the bricks are gone. [this gave me a 42-inch chest])

By eri on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

This is the hard part for me. I have spent so much time trying desperately to maintain my weight and learning how to pack the pounds on myself and my kids that I don't know how to eat properly.

I see the food pyramid but I think it is a load of shit.

I never excersized like I should for fear that I would gain weight but look like the female version of Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) which is easy for me to do.

Finally for the first time in my life I am gaining weight like a normal person, wearing normal sizes, and it hasn't stopped. It might be genetics and time catching up with me finally, I don't know.

I am not dissapointed in gaining the weight or that my bitch of a sister can still fit into a size 1 when I am between a 5 and 7. I am happy to finally be a healthy size. I have started exersizing again and now feel how desperately out of shape I let myself become. That will be a working progress.

I need to learn how to eat healthy now. Learn what is good to eat and what isn't and the effects that food can have on your body. I also need to figure out what my body fat percentage is, because I can SEE it isn't what it was before.

For once I am in a place where I want to be healthy all around and I know I can finally achieve that if only I learn and stick to my guns on it.

By sarah on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 00:40 am:

i have a thing for bald guys. especially guys who
    purposely shave their head bald.

i had two (count 'em.. 2!) at my house tonight for dinner.
    brett and anderson. they are great. smart men. the
    kind of smart that makes your average smart person
    feel dumb. like walking into walls smart. and sexy too.
    i made them salmon with tomato and orange sauce,
    salad, and pan roasted brussel sprouts in garlic and
    butter. and wine. and homemade chocolate and
    caramel bars for dessert. they both love chocolate.

after dinner we played "go". has anyone ever played
    that game before? it's a great game. a very old, very
    geeky game, kinda like chess, but not.

i wanted them both to stay the night. hey, a girl can
    dream. instead, they both left 30 minutes ago. maybe
    they went home together, i dont know. one of them
    promised to email me, the one i first met rollerskating.
    the other one, i don't know.

i'll let them duke it out.

ha. ha. ha.

By sarah on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 00:45 am:

oh. well lookit there. anderson already emailed me.

what do ya know.

shit, took him long enough.

ha. ha. ha.

By kazoo on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 10:20 am:

note to self: in next life, come back as sarah's favorite next door neighbor.

I've been trying to learn to cook more things. It's not working. I hate cooking. I admire people who love to cook...food cooked with passion tastes better. I like making food for people I care about but can only cook about five things.

I'm addicted to this pasta that Yael made for me:

about a half a cup of olive oil
    about 1/3 or so cup of balsamic vineager
    3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
    two (6oz) jars of marinated artichokes chopped
    1 ((8oz) jar of sundried tomatoes chopped
    whole bunch of fresh basil, chopped

put all this in a bowl and mix. pour over spinach fettucini. the amount above is for about a pound of pasta.
    top each serving with gobs of goat cheese, mix in...make sure you have lots of good bread.

right now my house smells like garam masala and bambar curry which I bought so that I can attempt an African Peanut curry soup. I only know the ingredients. we'll see how this goes

By kazoo on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 10:38 am:

p.s. try not to get too much of the oils from the tomatoes and artichokes in the bowl. I put some from the artichokes though because of the spices it marinates in.

By Spider on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 10:56 am:

My post was eaten!

*sigh*

Anyway, I wanted to link to 6255,13538,00.html+boscaiola&hl=en&ie=UTF-8, this recipe -- 1) check out the type of pasta used! Whoa!

2) When I was last in Italy, I would often get pasta ala boscaiola at restaurants -- it's delicious. The linked recipe allows you to make your own noodles, but to hell with that....just look at the recipe for the sauce.

By Bigkev on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

Go, a very good game. similar to Othello (that you used to get on the macintosh) right? its been a looooong time since ive played that one..

Are they so smart that they're mind-nuubingly boring? that would be bad.

has anyone had the Lemon Custard Jello with the little bits of _______ nut in it? man does that stuff make me puke..

By GoddessOfWindandLight on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:42 pm:

Mangos taste like grass to me. I like all fruits, but mangos are frickin sick. Who agrees?

By J on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:52 am:

I don't like them either,but my sugar gliders do.I like the way they smell though.

By TBone on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:42 pm:

Dried mangos are good.

By V.v. on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

If you need a boost,mangos are the best in the world for English football players at half time,according to London newspapers,4 times more carbohydrate than oranges.

By TBone on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:59 pm:

I don't need a boost. Just a snack.

By sarah on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:46 pm:

i read in the paper on thursday that jello is made from cow hooves and cow skin. that it's basically the same material as the human fingernail.

i went to a housewarming dinner party on sat night and gave them, among other things, a recipe book: Jell-O Collection: 3 Cookbooks in 1. spiral-bound edition! it was heinous, and i mean that in the best way.

the book confirmed that texans are right -- layers of jello, whipped topping, and fruit is called "salad"!

By cyst on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:15 am:

saturday night I went to a jello sculpture contest party. it was a pioneer day celebration.

By moonit on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:46 am:

thats just weird. Did you take photos? Jelly. Jelly. Jelly.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact