waitresses

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: waitresses
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Sorabji on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 11:44 pm:
    tonight was one of those hopeless nights spiralling away into oblivion.

things go well for a while, but then they go to the trash.

then they go well again.

and you have to ask yourself, where do i go when there seems to be nowhere to go? who do i talk to when i run out of phone numbers?

tonight, after someone asked me exactly these very questions, i discovered the answer.

i go out to eat. i go to swanky sit-down $40/dinner/person restaurants and i bank the success of the evening on what conversation and soon-thereafter i have with the waitress.

assuming i even get a waitress.

but the point is, i go to restaurants and bars and delis in every one of these boroughs looking for waitresses and bartenders who will talk to me beyond the quasi-mystified "you want mustard *and* mayonnaise on that sandwich??" stage.

it works, some nights, because the conversation is forced, and demonstratively intimate, so they listen to my nonsense whether they mean to or not.

this is why i am drawn to waitresses. we *have* to talk. she has to talk to me. we *will* communicate by the end of the night.

tonight, though, i went down the street to the big-shot mexican restaurant grand opening. banners, flags, blaring hispanic music.

cheap burritos.

thing is, this place was *really* mexican. no one there spoke a breath of english. i walked in to the bar part of the place and got the look-over from a dozen bar-stooled women smoking the nasty cigarette and squealing amongst themselves the instant i left the room (or so i let myself believe).

among a baker's dozen people sitting at the bar and a half-dozen waitresses and cooks it looked like i was the only person-with-a-penis in the whole goddam place.

and i was clearly the only person there who spoke english at all.

so, when i asked for a Heineken i had to understand that the waitress who said "Eineka" meant Heineken.

the night flailed on. i ate, and god the food was fabulous. i mean really, the sort of thing that makes me wonder why i don't eat out every goddam night. it razed the indifference from my mind and made me reconsider eating as a thing to think about doing at least once or twice a day

but, well, let's forget the food.

the waitress did not seem even to look at me as she fake-scribbled into her little receipt-notepad thing. at the end of the dinner i told her, exactly three (3) times each: "i would like this food to go." "I would like to take the food home." "can i have this food to take home with me?"

she nodded vigorously, smiled like a banshee, then threw my fabulous food into the dishwasher.

it made me sad. that dinner alone cost me $24, and i ate little of it there thinking i would take it home.

it's these little sorry-ass goddam trifling things that put you over the edge.

so i went out and bought an 18-pack of budweiser, and here i am.

none of this has done anything to answer the inextinguishable questions my sad-sack self asks itself on nights like this.

i'm going to have to try the bronx tomorrow night. this borough is dried up already.

By SHAFT John Shaft on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 12:48 pm:
    That is the fruitest story yet and of late. Especially the food part. I hear you lively. I would be oever the edge too and probably dialing by now. Dialing and driving. . .at the same time. . It is those "damn trifling things" that do put one over the edge. Why? Why?
    That just reinforces my whole hummer of a bummed out theory.
    Remember in the Hunter S. Thompson parody by National Lampoon. He was going to do a story about Los Angeles. He said he did some Rainbow Mind Gobblers ("if only I could get my hands on some uncut Siamese Tiger Balls") and was driving and typing at the same time. (he was getting paid by the word) in a rented Grey Belvedere! He got his angle though. AT the end he said. .. "I hate everything about L.A., the slobbering ocean. . . , the stupid smiles on everyones faces. . . ." You had to be there. I'd love to send the tape of it.
    Maybe the Bronx will be righteous. . .

By I Prefer To Keep This One Anonymous - But You Know Who I Am on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 01:41 pm:
    Geez, my day is ruined when I run for the train and the doors close in my face and I stand there feeling like a jackass and knowing the people on the train have witnessed my futile run and are now talking and laughing about me behind the closed doors. But to lose all your food due to an incompetent, or should I saw incomprehending, waitress...how do you manage to get up in the morning and face the day? That act alone would send me over the edge and into a serious waitress-throttling fit of anger.

By Jefe on Saturday, April 11, 1998 - 12:16 am:
    French-Canadian pea soup. Mmmm mmm mmmm...

By V on Friday, December 3, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

...plus big time wind,Mmmm mmm mmmm...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact