grilled onions

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: grilled onions
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lapis on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:43 am:

moving was a great idea.

my new little house (it's been three and a half months now!) has a backyard and so we set up a kiddie pool to soak the feets during the heat wave and one of my housemates (the self-proclaimed prettyboy) dug a firepit.

last night he made a fire and i threw on three yellow onions, local but nothing special. the kind of onions that you'd saute in italian food but never eat raw.

let them lay on the grill until they were all blackened and charred, popping and hissing in the heat. i pulled one off and peeled the outermost layers off and dropped them in the long dry grass one at a time, burning my fingers.

i peeled off more layers, continuing my fingertip burn and handing pieces to mandycakes and lameo the vibemaster. i also burnt my lips, tongue throat but it was good. pain is good, pain is life.

slightly sweet, with all the bite gone with the exception of the two innermost layers still crunchy. juicy.

the other two onions sat on the grill for ten minutes longer and were shoved in a freezer bag in the fridge when we left for a rooftop hippie party.

i worked all afternoon today. it was hot, sweltering, somewhere around 105. i wore long pants and rode my bicycle all day when not working. even at 10 pm, when the world is nearly midnight black, a step onto concrete is like getting slapped in the face with a towel soaked in boiling water.

rode home. everyone's gone and sylvie wants in so she can hide in the basement with her water dish that has remained cool.

kicked off my shoes, changed. a little better. hungry. two onions left.

i pulled out the bag, removed an onion. it's cold. cut off the very top and bottom of the bulb, slippery and squishy.

the same flavor as before, but with the heat it's better to have cold things. juice gets all over my hands and around my lips. it's clear, gooey-- thicker than what i'd expect and slightly sticky. maybe a little like semen.

i wiped my face on the back of my right hand, took my plate back upstairs to the kitchen. washed my hands.

it's late. it's hot.

sweltering.

By TBone on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:54 am:

Last week sweltered, but this week is beautiful. Very comfortable. Cool at night.

I'm making a swamp cooler out of box fans, a large cardboard box, lots of duct tape, some coathangers, a couple old towels, twist ties, and a milk jug so far. I dunno how well it'll work. I'm making it for a friend whose apartment is much hotter than mine.

By V.v. on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:21 pm:

Now disregarding your comments (as i mostly do)i read RED onions sends your sex life to Mars,is that right???

By Dodi on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 09:43 pm:

Hmmmmmm...haven't been to Mars as of yet...don't think so....

By Lapis on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:55 am:

dunno.

maybe that's what i need.

everyone i meet is attached in some way.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:09 am:

Lapis,dont you have some sort of very high class country club where you are? then you can avoid the creeps with too much baggage.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:11 am:

Dodi,i think you are not eating enough red onions.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:49 am:

Lapis,today,you should be out in some guys convertable Merc,haveing a real good time,chilling out,feeding the ducks,...i say again,go to the right places,and you will meet the the right guys,i know this for a fact.

By Lapis on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:42 am:

Riiiiight.

There's jerks everywhere. If they're not jerks, they have girlfriends whom they respect. That's a good thing,really, but sad for me.

I seriously doubt it's different anywhere. Money is just a screen. I don't trust it.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:05 am:

NO,Money is good,in fact its amazing,it makes such a change in your life,if you want it,take it,you can do it right now,you are HIGH CLASS,think as such.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:11 am:

I just want for your face to have a big,big smile on it.

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:20 am:

:) :) :) Like this,right,? :) :) :)

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:38 am:

...an get back soon... :)

By Dodi on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:25 pm:

V.v....all I get from those darn onions, is some serious bad breath...HaHaHa!!!

:0)

By V.v. on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:30 pm:

Dodi,so try garlic,but you and your partner both need to try it at the same time.Garlic mushrooms are so nice.

By Lapis on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:55 pm:

Money may open some doors, but not eyes.

I am high class. Your definition and my definition of 'high class' are widely different.

Sometimes I get bitter and my smiles result only from others' stupidity.

By Antigone on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

Is that when you're high 'n' crass?

By Dodi on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:41 pm:

I love garlic...but not for romance...out of the question....

By V.v. on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:08 pm:

Scottish Whisky,single malt perhaps?...and yet more medical stuff,tommorrow 11 am (London time)i have to go for yet another b.p. test,before i am regarded as alive (why is it when Doctors get hold of you,they dont want to let go?)i expect i will breeze through this,and i will be knocking a few smirks off medical staff...and i allmost forgot,with great respect,can i ask what your b.p. is ???...all so your partner,lets all stay alive together.

By Dodi on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:18 pm:

I checked mine at the store today, and it's 135/75 Is that good or bad?

The reason why they don't want to let you go...you're their car payment!!!!

Keep up the good work...:)

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:08 pm:

Dodi,hi again darling,your b.p. is so young,about the same as someone 7 years old,check it out,you will live to 150,or more...dont go telling me your no Lara Croft,you are,me?I had a nice day myself,had the last check out from Doctor mk.3 (from India)she tells me i will live to 90,then I will die of cancer if I dont give up cigs and booze (cigs I may give up,booze I wont)...met a real good bro today,Mick,from 8 years back,psychic even more then me,very nice guy,also had a chat to the Director of L.G.R.(London Greek Radio)regarding the production of 10,000 rear window stickers for cars,out in London,one week hence,best of all,I got a record dedication to me,15 mins later...WOW,I just love Greeks.

By Dodi on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:18 pm:

V.v...what are you doing with these stickers?

This dedication, what was the song?

My son's ex girlfriend is Greek, and they really know how to cook. We went over there a couple of times for dinner and man, the food was sooooooo yummy. Instead of your Italian cook, maybe you should get a Greek cook, what do ya say?

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 04:57 pm:

Dodi,regarding stickers,i only make a suggestion to a Director of L.G.R.,and he took me up on it,it makes so much sence to me,if they put out a broeadcast regarding free stickers for L.G.R.,then plenty of people will come in the radio station for it,if they do,they will see t-shirts for Greek olimpic games,and so many other Greek items that thay sell,makes very good business sence to me,da?regarding your son,I am so very sorry he is no no longer going out with a greek girl,they are so very nice.Myselfe,I hope in a small way,you become more Greek even if only in your food,the song dedicated to me was called "the train" it was all in Greek,but I did enjoy very much,infact i almost crash into the car in front,i like it so much.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

Cooks,I agree so much with you,I need a Greek cook.,within one week,promise.xxxxxx.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:02 pm:

...also Antigone says we both dont exist in real life,allways had a feeling I was just part of the Matrix!!!

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:18 pm:

I've said nothing about not existing. You brought that up, sonny.

Existence is self evident. It's proof of identity I'm talking about.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:36 pm:

You only exit in my computer.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:39 pm:

I exist in other computers as well. If you doubt this, visit any internet cafe.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:45 pm:

No more than a electrical impulse,just part of the Matrix.

By jack on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:03 pm:

"you only exit in my computer"

you might exist in other computers, but he thinks his is your exit.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:09 pm:

Ah, jack, you have the eyes of a hawk and the wit of a man who collects AM radios.

By V.v. on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:14 pm:

jack,no,your wrong,Antigone posts sence most of time,but for him,its just the wrong time of the month.

By Dodi on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:44 pm:

My son was way too nice for her. He would open doors, carry her things, hold her hand, tell her she looked nice, and yet, she broke up with him. They still keep in touch, but it's not the same. Oh well, it's her loss.

Good luck with the stickers!!

By Gee on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:15 am:

and really, all you need to do to make a girl happy is open doors for her and tell her she's pretty.

By Dodi on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:27 pm:

Works for me.....:)

By V.v. on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:46 pm:

:)

By Dodi on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:57 pm:

and flowers.....

By V.v. on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:47 pm:

...lots...

By Dodi on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

and lots...

By Dodi on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

and lots...

By Dodi on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:37 pm:

double is better...:)

By V.v. on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:55 am:

Allways Darling!!!

By Lapis on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:40 pm:

good god.

By V.v. on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:07 pm:

...Your enigmatic statements are lost on me...

By heather on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

if you all are interested in making *me* happy, please do not be listening to gee.

but don't worry, i'm sure it will never come up.

By Gee on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:12 pm:

I was being sarcastic. was that not obvious?

or maybe it Was obvious and I missed a joke somewhere.

By V.v. on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:51 pm:

Look guys,Russian and American dont all ways link up,But I try the best i can to get us co-ordinatated ,small stupid problems in language is all it takes for world war 3 to happen...how content are you with the world of Islam,the words of Islamic leaders ORDERING all Americans to convert to Islam,right now,or die,will you become Islamic?this is your choice,make your mind up time.

By heather on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

all are one

By TBone on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:42 pm:

We're not going to dumb things down for you, VV.

By Lapis on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:45 pm:

Enigmatic? I think my state of mind was obvious.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact