the steak

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: the steak
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:24 am:

i went to this bbq a few weeks ago. actually, two in a row. july 15th i bought 13lbs of tri-tip from the whole foods meat counter. i'd never noticed the whole foods meat counter before. i don't know why. there were primals hanging in a glass case behind the butcher, dry aging, ribs and short loins. strange blue purple porterhouse face smiling at me, winking at me, giving me a partial.

i was there for tri-tip, though. the head butcher came out and prepared the order, six well marbled tongues of beef. the next morning i was up early to salt them and then divide them into ziplocks to soak in stubb's beef marinande until the first bbq.

which was huge. and over fooded. so i ended up taking home a raw tri-tip. we found a bbq the next day, a smaller one, brought the tri-tip.

as i stood and flipped it and gave it the occasional. this kid slapped a new york strip down on the open side of the grill. i said "nice looking new york." he said "it's a rib eye." and then proceeded to blasphem it, well done shoe leather. it was a new york.

but today, today i picked out a 3/4lb prime, dry aged rib eye. i salted it on the board, slipped the cast iron grill pan in the wedgewood and spun the oven to 500, started the mushrooms over medium high on the range.

seared the steak on the range and finished it in the oven rare. finshed the mushrooms with a tablespoon of butter. cracked pepper over the whole plate and poured a glass of zin.

i wish i had company.

i learned this method of cooking steak from the good eats dork. goddamnit, i hate that i enjoy that show. something fundementally retarded about the whole affair, why does it have to be so good?

my cousin was supposed to be here tonight. i wasn't going to have steak at all until i found out she wasn't going to leave southern humboldt until 5 or so. not be here until close to 9.

then a semi spilled near richardson grove and blew up. at 6:02 pm the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection estimated a 2 hour road closure. The fire had jumbled traffic and was climbing a tall redwood. At 6:19 then bumped that to 4 hours. At 6:38 the fire jumped 101 at Alderpoint road.

i stay alone tonight.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:37 am:

good eats- that guy is so annoying yet so informative at the same time. I often sit there glued to his every word and at the same time intent on punching him in his arrogant little face.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact