Rose's Act of Contrition

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Rose's Act of Contrition
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Rose Monte Blanc on Monday, March 23, 1998 - 07:32 pm:
    As I'd mentioned in the "Crystal Martini Set" postings, I had a nasty run in with a pair of girl scouts in my building. Feeling somewhat ghastly about it in retrospect, I made it my job to find some girlscouts, and purchased several fairly expensive boxes of cookies. These, for the most part, were distributed amongst my co-workers, save for a solitary box of Gaucho's (although they aren't called that anymore!). These I have been eating the last few days, and they are as good as I remember them, although the peanut butter filling appears to have been applied with a razor blade.

I've noticed a trend with food products over the course of my life. The prices rise and the portions shrink. I recently purchased a sandwich from a local delicatessan (tuna on rye, with lettuce, and tomato). When I sat down to eat it, I found that it contained one quarter inch of tuna. Needless to say, I was not pleased at all, and being the grumpy old woman that I am, I returned and demanded an explanation. When the proprietor began his spiel about rising costs, I cut him off and told him to make me a decent sandwich and just charge me more if need be. This practice infuriates me. It's widespread, but no less dishonest. I would rather pay $.50 more and get a decent lunch, than to pay the old price and get little more than rabbit food. Thank God that there are places like the Carnegie Deli, where you might pay $8.00 for a Reuben sandwich, but its simply one of the best sandwiches in the world; And it's enormous! I've seen the prices rise there significantly over the last 2 decades, but the quality is still unsurpassed. They don't appear to be hurting financially either. Patronage won't dissapear merely due to rising costs. These shop owners that are nickel diming us with their sub-standard sandwiches are denying themselves the opportunity to build a loyal clientele. I certainly won't be buying anything again from the deli mentioned above. Oh well. Perhaps it's not too late to begin "brown bagging" it. Does any one know of a good delicatessan in midtown Manhattan?

By Nelly on Monday, March 23, 1998 - 10:11 pm:
    Sorry, no. But I agree with you on the portions. Notice how candy bars are shrinking again?

My special wrath is roiled by Chinese restaurants that water their mustard...

By Asylo on Monday, March 23, 1998 - 10:48 pm:
    I get riled up by restaurants that put mustard in their water.

By Sensi- on Monday, March 23, 1998 - 11:51 pm:
    My bacon is absolutely BURNED by people who mix nonsense in with their postings.

By AMR2LL on Tuesday, March 24, 1998 - 12:05 am:
    I thought I smelled something burning.

By Pylon on Tuesday, March 24, 1998 - 12:19 am:
    Please extinguish your bacon. This is a non-smoking site.

By Gawker on Tuesday, March 24, 1998 - 02:38 am:
    Hey! False advertising! I came here to see someone eating Rose's act of contrition, like it says at the top of the board! I've never seen anyone eat one of those. Come on, EAT IT!

By Sorabji on Friday, March 27, 1998 - 04:37 pm:
    Rose - Mangia is a good deli in midtown.
    I've been going to the one on 57th Street since 1992.
    There'a another on 42nd, I think.

By Sorabji on Friday, March 27, 1998 - 04:43 pm:
    And I'm reminded of a Saturday recently, I was at Scholtzky's on 6th Avenue, sitting near a table with a group of French tourists. They seemed like they were having a nice time, enjoying each other's company.

At some point they just started laughing and laughing and laughing for many minutes. Not obnoxious laughter, not even noticeable to anyone but me, it seemed.

And I had to wonder just what the hell was so funny. Such healthy, amused laughter.

Well, they were laughing at the price of the sandwiches ($8.00) combined with the way the receipt said "THANKS."

Any time their laughter would die down one of them would say "That'll be eight dollars. THANKS." And they would all bust out laughing again.

Which doesn't strike me as funny, nor does $8 for a sandwich strike me as expensive, but Scholtzky's makes decent sandwiches. Maybe better than Mangia.

By What on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 12:48 am:
    $8 sandwiches, highway robbery.

Don't let anybody tell you we've licked inflation... just look at the price 'o lunch... keeps going up steady.

Used to get great grilled tuna sandwiches, with chips and a pickle too, for 80 cents, in Athens Ga. That left enough money for a milkshake.

By Dave on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 04:34 am:
    I gotta agree with What. $8.00 is way too much for a sandwich. Think about it: 2 slices of bread and some filling. I used to work in a deli and a grilled tuna(albacore, dammit) and cheddar was way overpriced at 4.25. So maybe it went up in the past 8 years, still, here in Seattle, it's hovering around $6.00. If you ever come to Seattle, I'll feed your asses. $8.00 at Gordito's will fill up you and your entourage and God itself will smile upon you.

By Rose Monte Blanc on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 03:18 pm:
    Mark Thomas,
    I feel honored that my posting has garnered itself a headline position on your main page. Personally, I believe there are times when $8 is not all that much for lunch, but the sandwich must be exemplary. A good case in point is the REUBEN sandwich from the Carnegie deli. I've rarely been able to finish one in a single sitting. On the flip side of this particular coin, I do feel that the majority of sandwich mongers in this city have overstepped the boundaries of propriety. $5 for a minor effort is what I am becoming most familiar with in mid-town.

As for the girlscout cookies, they have been polished off. I'm curious as to what the net weight of a box of thin mints was 5 years ago as compared to now. Probably about half. Why, if I hadn't resolved to be kinder and gentler, I just might give those little hooligans a piece of my mind...

By PicoFarad on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 11:53 pm:
    "More Sugar!"

By Hannah on Wednesday, April 1, 1998 - 07:29 pm:
    Hey Dave:
    You live in Seattle? Whoa so do I. I thought I was the only one posting from Seattle. Where do you work? I'll get my yummy sandwich, and eat it with pleasure, knowing I paid too much for it.

By Dave on Wednesday, April 1, 1998 - 08:09 pm:
    Whoa that's so cool. I don't make sandwiches any more. Like I said, that was 8 or more years ago. But forget about sandwiches. Go to Gordito's on 85th and Greenwood and get yourself the most heavenly burrito. You won't be disappointed. I recommend the veggie burrito grande, wet, with fajita-style veggies, extra cheese and extra spicy. That will feed you for 2 or 3 days. I kid you not. Plus, you'll be repeating like a howitzer.

By Not nate on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 12:07 am:
    I wonder if the Gordito's in Seattle is anything like the Gordito's in San Francisco. Either way, Gordito's in SF is some damn fine burritos.

But, the further south you travel the better they get. Come to San Luis Obispo and eat at Tio Alberto's. That's a burrito.

And for $4 at Gus's Deli you can get a sandwich that will rival any in America.

In fact, why don't you all come out to SLO? I'll introduce you to high cuisine in a college town and then teach all the city folk how to piss between the slats of a fence at a backyard kegger.

Ok, ok. we're all losers here. nevermind.

By Kelsey on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 01:36 am:
    but, what about that place pancho villa's in the mission district? never again will i have such a fine burrito. burritos have been ruined for me forever with the memory of those pancho villa's burritos resting in my mind. and those yummy fruit drinks! lordy! gordito's is alright, though. dave used to work at the lime green deli, downtown. i forget exactly where, though. fifth and cherryish, or thereabouts. another sandwich i would recommend heartily is at the green cat cafe on olive way, they have this green cat sandwich. it goes a little something like this:
    1. crusty italian bread.
    2. a layer of pesto on the bread.
    3. a layer of sliced tomatoes on the pesto.
    4. sunflower seeds.
    5. avocado
    6. cheese
    7. broiled open face.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

By Christopher on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 01:18 pm:
    If you're in the mission district in San Francisco, On 24th Street, heading towards Potrero hill, check out Roosevelts Tamale Parlour. It's been there since the 1930's and it's drop dead amazing. Also, IMHO, the Burrito place at 24th and Mission (Pollo Loco) is a damn fine example of what a burrito should be. If you're into Salsa, try Orolé Orolé on Sacramento street, just off of Drumm street in the financial district. Poor Rose..I don't think she could ever hope to have a burrito like we have in San Francisco.

Oh, and by the way Nate, SLO is gorgeous. My EX went to school there for Structural Engineering. And they filmed one of the big Cecil B. Demille bible epics in the dunes there. The sets are still there buried under the sand. It'll be funny when in 1000 years, archaeoligists are digging around looking for artifacts of 20th century culture and run across a stone temple.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact