spätzle

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: spätzle
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 02:59 am:

i'm slugging vodka and eating leftover spätzle. there's a quiet, unostentatious german restaurant near where i work that makes spätzle i could happily live off of for the rest of my life.

it's that damn good.

By Antigone on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 03:44 am:

You should try "Frankie's 'lil Europe" at the corner of Garland and Buckner in Dallas. Awesome spätzle, among other tasty bits.

By agatha on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 01:34 pm:

Tell me more about that thing that I'm too lazy to find umlauts for. I've always been curious about it, but I don't think I've ever had any. Is it like kugel?

By droopy on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:02 pm:

you can also spell it spaetzle. they're basically egg noodles. what i was eating last night was actually krautspätzle: spätzle mixed with sauerkraut, onions, ham, and maybe some other stuff.

i think i've been there once, antigone. but i might be confused.

By platypus on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 03:31 am:

I seem to remember eating egg noodles with beef stew a lot in Germany. Is that also spaetzle?

By Czarina on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 01:21 pm:

I'm not eating anything as romantic as inter-continental cuisine, I'm getting ready to chow down on good ole McDonalds egg mcmuffin and hashbrowns, certainly not healthy, but regardless, mighty damn tastey!

[And, technically, it might qualify as inter-continental cuisine, as I'm sure its readily available in Germany]

I wish I had some leiderhosen.

By Markus on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:28 pm:

I made spätzle once while dating the baroness when I lived in Munich. You take the very basic flour/milk/salt/egg dough and squeeze it through what looks like a giant garlic press into a pot of boiling water. It's kind of bland without some gravy, cheese, or whatnot on top.

By droopy on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 05:51 pm:

from that description, it sounds like spätzle is more like a cross between a noodle and a dumpling. i think that's why i like it - it's lighter than a noodle and makes a great "base" for those german dishes.

blast from the past, markus.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 09:12 pm:

Antigone , it is in Casa Linda area?? My grandparent lived in that area.

By Antigone on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:53 pm:

I grew up there. Forest Hills.

By Droopy on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 08:54 pm:

dig it, my spätzle-makers were voted one of the "best bites of 2007" by the fort worth star-telegram:

A yummy taste of Europe
    Greenwood German Restaurant

No polkas, just great food in a civilized setting, thanks to Offenbach native Peter Gruenewald and his Yugoslavian* wife Vlatka. Try the sauerbraten with buttery noodles, spaetzle with smoky ham and sauteed asparagus.

spätzle über alles!

*don't nobody be pedantic - it was yugoslavia when they married.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:21 am:

Antigone. I used to live in Lakewood area on the side of White Rock Lake and my Grandparent used to live on the other side of White Rock Lake. Do you know the story about a lady drowned in the lake a long time ago?

By Antigone on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:48 pm:

Yes. She would catch a ride with you on Lawther, then when
    you got to her destination the only thing left in your back seat
    would be a puddle of water.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:06 pm:

I knew it! :-)

By Antigone on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 05:49 pm:

Why? Were you the one that killed her long ago?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 06:47 pm:

Antigone,she died a long, long time ago , long before I was born. since they found a wet puddle of water. This may indicate that some one was sitting on the back seat where she was driving at that time, might be a killer!
    Antigone, I think you did it...

By jack on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 08:53 pm:

CHUPACABRA?

By Antigone on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:45 am:

I got her wet, if that's what you mean.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:33 pm:

No... I mean, I think you strangled her....

By Antigone on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 08:01 pm:

The only thing I choked was the chicken.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 09:35 pm:

I was just...kidding :-)

By Antigone on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 01:19 am:

So was the chicken.

I choked a chicken in Reno...just to watch him die...

By jack on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 02:18 am:

CHUPACABRA!

CHUPACABRA!

By Dr Pepper on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 03:41 am:

JACK THE CHUPACABRA!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!!!
    L.M.A.O!!!!!!!!!!! BWHAHAHAHAHA!

By droopy on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 03:50 am:

what does this have to do with the price of spätzle in texas?

By Czarina on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:46 pm:

I think they are implying that you can add poultry to your dish.

Tastes just like chicken.

By agatha on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 05:40 pm:

It's all making me want spatzle, or spaetzle. I just looked up a vegetarian recipe.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 1, 2008 - 03:36 pm:

Hindu ppl are vegetarian ppl too...B.T.W. Happy New Year to all of you!! including Chupacabra!

By heather on Tuesday, January 1, 2008 - 08:16 pm:

you are hindu, pepper? neato

i could eat a lot of things right now. hurray for the new year and staying in with friends.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 1, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

Hi Heather, no, I am not a hindu, but my friends are, they invited me to eat with them, no meat. Happy New Year :-).

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact