Thanksgiving, bitches!

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: Thanksgiving, bitches!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:12 pm:

What are you having for Thanksgiving? We're having b'stilla and chocolate torte. (Not together, though, as separate courses.)

By droopy on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:41 pm:

chili and cornbread. for one.

By patrick on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:26 pm:

we are cooking indian food with creme brule for dessert.

this year is the ex's year with the child so its just the two of us so we thought we could be weird. i dont exactly know what dishes we are making but i will follow up.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

Hi everyone, we will have a turkey, corn, potato, cranberry, muffins rolls and especially chocolate and also pumpkin pie. We usually have pumpkin pie for traditional Thanksgiving. So Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!! Especially to droopy! :-)

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

Hola cada uno, comeremos un pavo, un maíz, una patata, un arándano, rodillos de los molletes y especialmente un chocolate y también una empanada de calabaza. Tenemos generalmente empanada de calabaza para la acción de gracias tradicional. ¡Acción de gracias tan feliz a usted toda!!! ¡Especialmente a lánguido! :-)

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:56 pm:

Bwhahahaha!

By platypus on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 02:26 pm:

My father and I have a longstanding tradition of "ethnic" Thanksgivings. I think we made a turkey once, long ago, but I barely remember. Indian food sounds pretty awesome. So does chili and cornbread, actually.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 06:48 pm:

My once or twice a year red meat binge with prime rib sliced an inch thick, twice baked and au gratin swiss cheese italian bread crumbs potato, acorn squash baked with maple syrup and butter, peppermint ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream. But this is tomorrow, today I'll have another diet coke and a ham and turkey sandwich on pumpernickel. had big traditional turkey day last Sat night with friends and the fiance's family types, about thirty folks with chilluns.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 06:58 pm:

Hi Platy: not knowing what b'stilla was I just looked up the recipe, and it sounds really delicious. I have a favorite Bosnian donar kabob place around the corner from my office where I can get authentic donar and also meat pies with phyllo dough pastries. The recipt i found for b'stilla uses pegeon or cheicken, and the chincken version has 110% of daily fat requirement and 119% of cholesterol amounts... so what i thought might be a wonderful and healthy pie turns out to be a real artery clogger. I still will someday try it: love saffron...maybe leave some of the butter out?

I discovered too (this for Antigone or Nate whomever had used Dr Bonner's for the first time) that Kikkoman soy sauce has less sodium, less sugar, and no carbs as compared to the cheapo soy sauce i was using, even la choy is full of sugar & carbs.

No pigeons or turkeys were harmed in these recipes.

By agatha on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 02:47 pm:

We had a lot of food. My contributions: sweet potato soup, cream braised brussel sprouts, dried cherry and OJ cranberry sauce, cranberry sorbet, two pies that I bought from my champion piemaker coworker, and of course the usual appetizers of beer cheese and WT hot musty.

By jack-tron on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:12 pm:

hi agatha. what is "WT hot musty"?

By jack-bot on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:15 pm:

guess: some kind of hot mustard (wild turkey hot mustard?)...but on first glance i was thinking some kind of cider-ish beverage

By Spider on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:49 pm:

The four of us ate:

*ham in some kind of glaze with currants and cranberries in the drippings
    *sour cream mashed potatoes
    *corn pudding
    *spinach and gruyere crustless-quice-type-thing
    *stuffing with vegetarian "meat"
    *pumpkin cheesecake

We cooked all day and then finished eating our banquet in about 20 minutes, and then had a Discussion about immigration policy and marriage (separately). In my mind, I was a character from Dostoevsky, sitting silently in the midst of a conversation and then spontaneously erupting in crazed and somehow angry laughter before collapsing in a pale, sweaty heap under the table.

Anyway, I made the mashed potatoes and the cheesecake, which didn't quite turn out right. It wasn't dense enough, and I suspect I may have used too much pumpkin.

Tomorrow we're having a second feast with my aunt and uncle, as it is my aunt's birthday. I'm making an apple and pear galette.

By agatha on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 01:33 am:

That sounds good, spider. Especially the quiche and the corn pudding. I love corn pudding. Jack-tron, WT hot musty is a homemade mustard that you serve over cream cheese with crackers. It's basically coleman's dry mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, and eggs over a double boiler until it looks like shiny baby poop. It's pretty delicious. And trashy.

By j-a-c-k on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 11:06 am:

thanks, agatha. googling that was confusing. jack has a better idea what "wt" stands for now.

also i now know there is something called "guitar hero wt" (abbreviated in some circles to "gh:wt") out there. at first i assumed that "wt" had the same meaning there (that makes sense, right?) but i now know better.

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 12:31 pm:

jack, agatha probably meant "wild Turkey". I think.

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 02:01 pm:

jack is jack as is so retarded

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 02:02 pm:

jack loves to read a book called" joy of sex "

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 02:31 pm:

jack loves to read a movie called sleepaway camp

By on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 02:54 pm:

Hey action Jackson, jacks loved your move over a moving car.

By agatha on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 03:52 pm:

I love reading movies. Let me know if you want the recipe for WT musty or beer cheese, Jack, they are both quite delicious. The beer cheese recipe calls for you to pour a glass of beer and drink it while you work.

By agatha on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 04:01 pm:

On another note, you all should give me some dinner ideas for upcoming Sunday dinner clubs. I make food for two other families every Sunday, and eat their food two other nights in the week. I am looking for things that are vegetarian, not super expensive, and not really difficult to make enough to serve to 11 people. Mostly, I have trouble with the pairings. I almost always end up making a salad along with something else, or soup, bread, and salad, etc. I'm starting to run out of ideas.
    Here's a few things I've made in the past couple of months-
    -macaroni and cheese with greek salad
    -black eyed peas, rice, collard greens, and apple cornbread
    - lasagna, salad, bread
    - fake meatloaf, kasha varnishkes, cucumber salad
    - stuffed kale, piperade, bread, lemon sorbet
    - lots of soups, lots of salads
    You get the idea...

By droopy on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 05:09 pm:

i don't know. lentil chili and cornbread.

all of this talk about thanksgiving food brought back memories of my great-uncle's mississippi sweet potatoes. they were always part of the thanksgiving dinner when i was younger, and always there when he had us over for a dinner of wild game or a fish fry. they weren't exactly candied - no marshmallows or anything like that. i'm not exactly sure how he cooked them. they were cut into strips like long french fries and had just a little sugar and a bit of lemon, just enough to make them subtly sweet. the end product wasn't like a french fry in that you couldn't pick one up without breaking it. they were addictive; when i went home with a tub of them, i'd end up shoveling them into my face until i was yam-colored. i need to find out how to make those.

By sarah on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 11:39 am:

we ate:

locally farm raised turkey (soaked overnight in brine)
    jalapeno cornbread stuffing w/ chorizo and pine nuts
    mashed potatoes
    gravy
    orange cranberry sauce
    braised brussel sprouts w/ pearl onions
    pumpkin pie
    pecan pie
    whipped cream

everything homemade. i think there was one other thing but i'm forgetting.

i have lost 7 lbs in the last 12-13 weeks.

i have had a really bad cold for four days and wish i could just go comatose until it's gone.

By kazu on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 12:01 am:

We ate:

Turkey
    gravy
    stuffing
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes with candied pecans
    orange cranberry sauce
    green beans sauteed with bacon and shallots

pumpkin cake (but no one ate any until the next
    day).

I thought I was going to have the flu all week.
    Sem had to take me to the hospital the Sunday
    before. But it wasn't the flu, just a minor
    stomach bug.

By platypus on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 12:32 am:

I forgot to detail the menu at Second Thanksgiving, which was on Friday. There were 23 riotous people and much fun and games, especially at the "kid's end of the table" where all of us were sitting.

Of course, the problem with being on the opposite end from the kitchen is that I think we missed some of the stuff that came around, but I remember:

-fiery homemade wines (none of which I could drink)
    -mashed potatoes
    -ham
    -some sort of sweet potato salad thing which was fucking amazing as shit
    -creamed onions
    -brussels sprouts and bacon (two of my favourite things in one dish, hell yeah)
    -yams
    -gravy
    -big fluffy yeasty rolls
    -pumpkin pie
    -pecan pie
    -cranberry sauce
    -mandarin orange/basil cranberry sauce

By the time the turkey made it out of the oven, we were all too full to eat any, so it sat triumphantly whole in the midst of the debauchery.

God, I love Thanksgiving.

By Karla on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 10:16 am:

So Platy, why aren't you drinking wine, hmmn?

By platypus on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 10:49 am:

Because I don't want to break my liver. I figure that's a pretty solid reason not to drink, because new livers are pretty pricey, even when you get one on the black market.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 07:12 pm:

I got an extra one here that i'm not using but keeping in the frig for when mine fails. I can lend it to you if you're still drinking. I got too many miles on mine even without drinking for 21 years. It does not like my pancreas.

By platypus on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 - 08:48 pm:

I think it's pretty cool that the liver can regenerate. If you cut a piece off, it will grow into a new liver! How cool is that.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact