bee pollen, Brown Cow yogurt (blueberry) and one banana cut up /with some honey

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: bee pollen, Brown Cow yogurt (blueberry) and one banana cut up /with some honey
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By PicoFarad on Saturday, March 28, 1998 - 11:56 pm:
    All stirred together and marinated for an hour.

By Dave on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 01:46 am:
    Brown Cow, is that the kind with the "cream" on top? That stuff's delicious. My favorite is either vanilla or coffee. mmmmmmm.

By Bo Vine on Sunday, March 29, 1998 - 03:55 am:
    I like green cow yogurt.

By PicoFarad on Friday, April 24, 1998 - 07:27 pm:
    Hey Dave, yeah it is the "cream" on top kind. Did you know that vanilla beans are the 'fruit' of a certain variety of orchid?.... How rare and divine. Bo Vine. . . the green cow kind is what they use to make the moon out of.
    Nice of ya'll to comment. I am hooked on that sweet bee pollen from Eve's Market here in New Orleans. Love those granules. 99cents (why is there no cent sign on these here computer keyboards?) . . . . .99cents for an ounce of pollen granules. very sexy looking and tasting.
    Please send some over the ISDN line or whatever.
    Thanking you in advance. pf

By Dave on Saturday, April 25, 1998 - 02:24 am:
    I'm rather allergic to pollen so I'm unsure about eating gobs of it, but I hear it's great energy food. It has some hippy connotations for me, along with carob because when I was younger, one of my dad's wives was all over stuff like that. She was a "health nut". "I can't eat that, it has too much sugar in it, too many preservatives, it's too refined." Oh yeah, well what about all that crystal meth and heroin you devour. PCP ok with you?

Wow, where'd all that come from. That's some damn fine yogurt, though. Yessiree, it is.

By Health food store worker on Wednesday, June 3, 1998 - 07:59 pm:
    eat local bee pollen if you have allergies and it fights them off--and yes it is great energy food and very sexy oh yes

By Dave on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 04:23 am:
    Ohhh. . . Oh yes.

By
Silvia on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 08:51 pm:

Hey Dave or anyone, I can't find any Brown Cow yogurt...anywhere! I love the stuff and don't know where to buy it, or where the Brown Cow makes his yogurt.. I live in NYS, Albany/Schenectady/Saratoga/Troy, area. Any suggestions?

By sarah on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

because of recent findings on studies of dietary calcium and fat loss, for the last 3-4 weeks i have been eating a lot of yogurt.

it's the only kind of dairy calcium i can stomach. obviously milk is out of the question. i've never been a big fan of cheese and certainly couldn't and probably shouldn't eat as much cheese as it would take to get a full day's recommended supply of calcium. and i couldn't eat enough spinach to get that amount either.

the results of increased dietary calcium don't hold true for calcium supplements, or else i'd just pop a pill. so now i'm eating yogurt. of course, it's organic, nonpasturized yogurt, either from cow's milk or goat's milk. always plain, never fruit flavored. i mix my own cut up fresh fruit in it about half the time.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

Sarah, there's this greek yogurt at Trader Joes, it's great. no fat, high protien, low carbs. You can get it plain or with honey in a separate compartment on the side. Sometimes I use it to make smoothies with my chocolate flavored whey protien mix. I just wanted to say I liked it. Thanks for posting that link.

And there needs to be a web translator that translates science into everyday language, don't you think?

Recently, my brother had to go off his ADD meds because his health insurance won't pay for it. In the interim, he has gained 40 pounds. I told him sunday I would help him lose weight. I pointed him at the program I am using at the Men's Health website, and hopefully he'll get attached to it (he can use the gym at the school he works at).

(http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,6916,s1-1-0-0-199,00.html - it's got that damn extra comma, so cut and paste if anyone wants to check it out [i'm on part three right now])

The dairy thing is useful to know, I will pass that on to him.

(btw, I am down to 162 from 170 earlier this summer! hooray for me!)

By sarah on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

sem, if you do a google search for dietary calcium and fat loss, you'll probably come up with a dozen or so articles in laymen's terms. i know what you mean.

congrats on your weight loss! 8 lbs is a lot.

we don't have trader joe's here, but we have whole foods, where i get the organic stuff. i try to avoid honey, in any case.

except for abs (which i feel can always be stronger), i think i am pretty much peaked out in terms of overall muscle development. seriously. i just need to get the appetite and eating thing back under control. i go through these phases where i'm either always hungry, always bloating and holding about 5-10 lbs of water weight, or i'm never hungry with little appetite. of course, the mitigating factor is probably hormones, but there's no consistency to the phases, no way to chart them. it's really frustrating.

so i just keep lifting, keep running and doing aerobics, and keep doing tons of yoga, and keep reading about different approaches to exercise and nutrition and hope that i can continue to stay healthy, even if i'm not always as lean as i'd like to be.

anyway, keep me updated on your progress with this program. it looks good. i esp like the photo of the surfer :))

By kazu on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:36 pm:

I lost the weight I gained over the summer. I don't know exactly how much it was, but according to my scale, I am nine pounds less than the highest I registered on Sem's scale.

By eri on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:22 pm:

I don't even want to discuss my weight right now.

For dinner I made homemade vegetable beef soup. Since I skipped lunch today I pigged out on it. Now my stomach is all bloated and I look fat. I feel fat. Ugh.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:44 pm:

its soup.

go piss a while.

you'll feel better.

By eri on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:40 pm:

Didn't work. Still feeling bloated and fat. Next I start with the whiskey. Maybe eventually I will piss it all out.

By sarah on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 03:00 pm:

i just finished off a single serving of plain brown cow whole milk yogurt and noticed this text on the container:

This yogurt does not contain the growth hormone rbST. *We only buy milk from farmers who pledge not to treat their cows with rbST. *The FDA has said no significant difference has been shown and no test can now distinguish milk from rbST treated and untreated cows.

that's a fuckin bummer. i guess we just have to trust in the farmer's pledge.

By Antigone on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 04:16 pm:

Now working on a carnitas burrito from Chipotle's, with garlic flavor tobasco sauce. (Applied before every bite...)

By sarah on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 04:33 pm:

did you know chipotle's is owned by mcdonald's? i *just* found that out a couple months ago. it's kinda freaky.

By E.v. on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 04:51 pm:

i ate a carnitas quesadilla from gordo's. it is better than anything and plus plus it is right around the corner from my house. my fingers they smell like the pork.

now there is a job interview and i will go ride on the train under the water and i will come up the stairs and walk down the street and find the building. 2pm. the job is in the bag.

By Antigone on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

sarah, why do you think I sterilize it with tobasco? :)

By heather on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 06:35 pm:

why "e.v."?

yay job!

i was at gordo's on saturday i think and had a not great burrito.

By semillama on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 06:37 pm:

I KNEW there was a reason I instinctly avoid Chipotle! I've been in a city with several for nearlly 3 years and have never been to one, although I have thought about it. But something just kept me from going in.

By Antigone on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 07:38 pm:

McD owners aside, I fuckin' love the food there. I eat there at least two or three times per week.

By wisper on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 09:41 pm:

and Nike bought out Converse

why oh why

By E.v. on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 09:49 pm:

gordo's burritos are great.

i don't know where you were.

By heather on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 12:41 am:

well, food hasn't been agreeing with me

By E.v. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:28 am:

try the new ho-ho's. they have carmel.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:08 am:

I restarted the Atkins thing yesterday. GNC has a pretty wide selection of low-carb cereals, oatmeal, bread, fake milk, pasta, etc. I got some fake milk, oatmeal, and a smoothie thing by this brand called Keto -- apparently this brand's goods taste better than the Atkins products. (I haven't tried them yet.) But, Lord, are they expensive -- those three things came to $17.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:38 am:

i agree w/ tiggy. chipotle serves up some really good, fresh, tasty, quality food. i've not eaten there more than 5 times, but each time i've enjoyed it a lot.

i am dismayed by all this low-carb manufacturing and marketing of processed products. you don't need all that crap to make low-carb meals. it seems like such a viscious cycle.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:18 am:

I agree with you in theory -- I would very much like to eat nothing but real food. My problem is I don't like meat too much, and having vegetables, fish, and cheese at every meal would make me want to stop eating altogether. If it means having to "cheat" with some low-carb bread or fake chocolate to break up the monotony, I'm all for it.

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 12:55 pm:

I actually like some of the low carb breads better than regular bread. The density and high-fibre-ness is appealing to me.

I'm restarting the lo-carb today as well.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:50 pm:

one problem I have with a lot of low-carb products, especially the sweets, is that many companies replace sugars with sugar alcohols, which gives me rather uncomfortable bowel problems.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:05 pm:

why doesn't anyone do the Protein Power or Zone diet plans? why always Atkins?

Atkins is so unbalanced, so restrictive, and imo unrealistic and not a healthy long-term solution to weight maintenance. otoh, Protein Power and Zone are WAY more balanced, yet based on the same principal.

when i lost all that weight, i followed Protein Power. Zone was a little too... complicated. i never did atkins. i find when i try to do atkins, i inevitably fail and get extreme carb (sugar) cravings. protein power plan never gave me those withdrawal symptoms or cravings. it's a very nutritionally sound and healthy way to eat.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:08 pm:

i think the term atkins has become like kleenex or xerox or q-tip.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:09 pm:

What is this...Protein Power of which you speak?

By Anitgone on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:39 pm:

I start out in Atkin's style induction, then kind of ease into Zone over a couple of months.

By kazu on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

my mother loves the south beach diet because it distinguishes between good/bad fats and carbs. I also believe that many processed foods (like wonderbread processing) and some preservatives contribute to slowing our metabolisms down but I don't have anything to back that up other than my own experience.

my carb/protein/fats are pretty balanced and if were to cut out more carbs, i'd become monster kazu and that would be bad. very bad.

there is an article today on aol news about how fat atkins was:

"NEW YORK (Feb. 10) - Dr. Robert Atkins, whose popular diet stresses protein-rich meat and cheese over carbohydrates, weighed 258 pounds at his death and had a history of heart disease, a newspaper reported Tuesday."

I found that interesting.

By kazu on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:07 pm:

But the article as a whole is mostly back and forth about who knew what about his condition and whether or not it was infection related so I'm not entirely certain it should even matter.

By Lapis on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:11 pm:

Whatever happened to Diet for a Small Planet?

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:31 pm:

Everyone following it starved to death.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:14 pm:

my yoga teacher who also is getting her ph.d. in nutrition says that the south beach diet is the most nutritionally sound of the "fad" diets.

By E.v. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:18 pm:

i eat nothing but honey nut cheerios and chester's flamin' hot fries and carmel ho-ho's and look at how svelte i am.

nutritionally sound sounds nutritionally boring. i'm well preserved.

By sarah on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:22 pm:

who says Dr. Atkins followed his own diet?

Protein Power, the book. spider, i HIGHLY recommend reading this book and following it's dietary outlines. way more healthy and realistic and do-able than atkins.

By E.v. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:43 pm:

By kazu on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:47 pm:

that makes sense.

the article I read, which is now hard to find, was really all over the place and seemed kind of fishy

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:50 pm:

Sarah, how is Protein Power different from Atkins? I couldn't tell from the reviews there.

I've heard good things about South Beach, and I had a coworker who lost about 40 pounds on it and was keeping the weight off. It does sound a lot more balanced and doable than Atkins, since for one thing it allows you to have legumes in the "induction" phase. I love bean soup.

By kazu on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:57 pm:

for being one of the "more balanced and doable" and "nutritionally sound" it has the most ridiculous name.

By heather on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:25 pm:

counting points with ww is easy and fiber-rific

i hardly ever eat meat anymore and when i do i usually get reminded that i don't like it

i'm feeling better about my eating habits than i have in a very long time

[when i tried atkins i found that i smelled like bacon....say what you will, it's pretty gross]

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:03 pm:

Why is it gross? We're all made out of bacon.

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:04 pm:

By c on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 01:24 am:

the only thing I eat every single day is plain nonfat BGH-free organic yogurt with organic blueberries.

I don't usually buy organic, but I figure that since I eat these things every day, I should be careful.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:01 pm:

i think organic plain whole milk yogurt is quite possibly one of the most perfect foods. nutritionally speaking.

By V.v. on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:35 pm:

I agree,but fruity yogs are so yummy,at one time i was eating 20 a day.

By TBone on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:27 am:

I like plain yogurt. I often get swiss-style yogurt too, which is just plain yogurt with a little fruit in it, unsweetened. Most fruity yogurts are all sugared up and they don't taste like yogurt at all.
    My dad used to make yogurt. It ruled.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact